Harry Styles, PJ MSG

Question, Harry Styles just sold out MSG 15 nights and now has the record. It wasn’t consecutive but over a month. My question, could PJ pull that off even if they tried? Phish played 13 nights in a row without repeating a song, wow. 
Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16

Comments

• RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,240
    Not unless they announced it way ahead of time and made a huge event out of it. It would also have to be the only shows they play over a long period of time in order to attract fans from all over.

The thing about Harry Styles is that he’s getting a different audience every night, and playing the same show over and over. He’s that popular in the mainstream. Pearl Jam has to get repeat customers to take weeks off of work in order to pull something like that off. 
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,123
    How real are sellouts at MSG given the friendly scalping laws? I believe most if not all tickets would sell originally, but some night not sell again at the exorbitant asking price. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • StardogChamp79StardogChamp79 Posts: 1,008
    edited September 2022
    This does bring up an interesting question though. Would Pearl Jam ever hold residency anywhere? Seattle, Vegas, NYC, Chicago? I mean it looks easier just to have everything set up in one location and rock out for a month then travel all around. Probably more Eco Friendly too 😉.

But then you would have a different poster for each show or a different trinket and everyone would lose their minds. Flippers would have a field day!
    Post edited by StardogChamp79 on
    Alpine Valley Music Theatre East Troy, Wisconsin (September 03, 2011); Alpine Valley Music Theatre East Troy, Wisconsin (September 04, 2011); Deluna Fest Pensacola, FL (September 21, 2012); Wrigley Field (July 19, 2013); Milwaukee, WI (October 20, 2014); Wrigley Field I (August 20, 2016); Wrigley Field II (August 22, 2016); Home Shows Seattle Night 1 (August 08, 2018), Home Shows Seattle Night 2 (August 10, 2018), Apollo Theater (September 10, 2022), Madison Square Garden (September 11, 2022), Bourbon & Beyond Louisville (September 17th, 2022). 
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,162
    I think they should try. Test it out at the TD Garden first.
  • Pearl Jam could have done it easily after they started in the 90's.  Not so sure if they could pull it off now.  On the other hand, Harry Styles will probably be playing theaters in another 10 years.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,767
    They should try. They might need to put themselves out there a little more for the casual fan. But you will get tourists coming to the shows. 
    I miss igotid88
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    edited September 2022
    igotid88 said:
    They should try. They might need to put themselves out there a little more for the casual fan. But you will get tourists coming to the shows. 
    pjl44 said:
    I took my 13yr old daughter to a Harry Styles MSG show, then saw PJ there 2 weeks later. As much as I love PJ and have loved them for 29 yrs, there is no way they'd sell out a 15 night residency at MSG. As @RiotZact said, Harry Styles played pretty much the exact same show every night for 15 nights (with few days off), with only changes in outfits & maybe just the tiniest bit of unpredictability in the banter. And this was only 1 of 3 US cities he did it in, and all following the release of a commercially-uber-successful album.  I love Gigaton but what's the highest the album or any 1 single went in the charts? How high did Styles album & singles so far get?  Be clear, I am not a Styles fan (though I admit he's a very good performer). I'd take PJ every time if given a choice between them & HS.  But demand & live music "style" dictates feasibility all the way.  

Also PJ is not a "play the same set every night" band, and playing 15 different sets and really giving it your all for 15 nights in same city would be brutal on the band & crew in a different way than HS & his band & crew. Also MSG seats 20,000 people, so Styles sold out 300,000 tix for ONE setlist, ONE show, 90 min each show at most & average cost of tix about $400 (and YES at least my show was completely sold out, no noticeable empty seats at all).

And as much s**t as PJ gets for the towns, states & COUNTRIES they do NOT play, the hate from fans for playing 15 shows in any one place would be immense.  And why would they do that anyway?  What would be in it for them when they could do 15 shows in different cities and give more fans a chance since NOT EVERYONE has the money & time off & ability to travel to NYC or any one city for a show.  Never mind for 15.
    Post edited by JH6056 on
    edited September 2022
    JH6056 said:
    igotid88 said:
    pjl44 said:
    I took my 13yr old daughter to a Harry Styles MSG show, then saw PJ there 2 weeks later. As much as I love PJ and have loved them for 29 yrs, there is no way they'd sell out a 15 night residency at MSG. As @RiotZact said, Harry Styles played pretty much the exact same show every night for 15 nights (with few days off), with only changes in outfits & maybe just the tiniest bit of unpredictability in the banter. And this was only 1 of 3 US cities he did it in, and all following the release of a commercially-uber-successful album.  I love Gigaton but what's the highest the album or any 1 single went in the charts? How high did Styles album & singles so far get?  Be clear, I am not a Styles fan (though I admit he's a very good performer). I'd take PJ every time if given a choice between them & HS.  But demand & live music "style" dictates feasibility all the way.  

Also PJ is not a "play the same set every night" band, and playing 15 different sets and really giving it your all for 15 nights in same city would be brutal on the band & crew in a different way than HS & his band & crew. Also MSG seats 20,000 people, so Styles sold out 300,000 tix for ONE setlist, ONE show, 90 min each show at most & average cost of tix about $400 (and YES at least my show was completely sold out, no noticeable empty seats at all).

And as much s**t as PJ gets for the towns, states & COUNTRIES they do NOT play, the hate from fans for playing 15 shows in any one place would be immense.  And why would they do that anyway?  What would be in it for them when they could do 15 shows in different cities and give more fans a chance since NOT EVERYONE has the money & time off & ability to travel to NYC or any one city for a show.  Never mind for 15.
    People know more Pearl Jam songs than Phish songs. And Phish did 13 shows with no repeats. Pearl Jam has fans that will go to multiple like Phish fans. You have the casual fan. The tourists. Harry has a few hits and he has the One Direction fans plus his cougar fan base.  Most people don't know that Pearl Jam changes setlists. Also some artists/bands block the back of the stage seats and those shows are considered sellouts.  Pearl Jam packed the whole arena
    Post edited by igotid88 on
    I miss igotid88
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,391
    I think pj could sell out 15 shows at msg but I don’t see them ever doing it.  According to my daughter, Harry has a place in the city he calls home.  Pj would be living in the same hotel for the better part of a month.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    edited September 2022
    igotid88 said:
    JH6056 said:
    igotid88 said:
    pjl44 said:

People know more Pearl Jam songs than Phish songs. And Phish did 13 shows with no repeats. Pearl Jam has fans that will go to multiple like Phish fans. You have the casual fan. The tourists. Harry has a few hits and he has the One Direction fans plus his cougar fan base.  Most people don't know that Pearl Jam changes setlists. Also some artists/bands block the back of the stage seats and those shows are considered sellouts.  Pearl Jam packed the whole arena
    A couple of relevant questions:

1) What year did Phish do 13 nights? Was every night sold out?

2) What evidence is there Phish would sell out 13 nights at MSG in 2022?

3) We all know that whether an album or songs is great or not has little to do with the charts. But the Billboard charts are still absolutely an indicator of sales and demand, so for a question like this there is some relevance. Gigaton did debut at #1 on the Billboard Rock chart, and got to #2 on the Billboard overall album charts and was on that chart for 8 weeks.  You said "Harry has a few hits"... But not only has Harry's House his album debuted at #1 in US, Styles broke records buy having his album & his single "As It Was" both debut at #1 simutaneously in ALL of these countries: US, UK, Canada, Germany, Australia, Netherlands, Italy, Ireland, New Zealand, Switzerland, and Belgium. AND every single one of the 13 songs on that album charted, which is highly unusual.  The single is still #1 now, so #1 for 14 weeks straight.

Say all that to say, again, I've been a PJ fan for 29 yrs, think they're better than almost any other artist out there before and now, and would always choose PJ anything over Styles. But gotta ask, given that it's pretty obvious how/why Styles was able to sell out 15 nights at MSG and almost as many in LA and Chicago each I think, what do you base your certainty PJ could sell out 15 nights at MSG on other than more people knowing PJ songs than Phish songs? 

Btw everything I just said about charts I just looked up. I don't follow them. Wild to see that Ozzy Ozborne has #1 album right now, and Kate Bush is still in top 10 singles with Runnin' Up That Hill thanks to Stranger Things!
    Post edited by JH6056 on
  • vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 892
    edited September 2022
    JH6056 said:
    igotid88 said:
    JH6056 said:
    igotid88 said:
    pjl44 said:

3) We all know that whether an album or songs is great or not has little to do with the charts. But the Billboard charts are still absolutely an indicator of sales and demand, so for a question like this there is some relevance. Gigaton did debut at #1 on the Billboard Rock chart, and got to #2 on the Billboard overall album charts and was on that chart for 8 weeks.  You said "Harry has a few hits"... But not only has Harry's House his album debuted at #1 in US, Styles broke records buy having his album & his single "As It Was" both debut at #1 simutaneously in ALL of these countries: US, UK, Canada, Germany, Australia, Netherlands, Italy, Ireland, New Zealand, Switzerland, and Belgium. AND every single one of the 13 songs on that album charted, which is highly unusual.

Say all that to say, again, I've been a PJ fan for 29 yrs, think they're better than almost any other artist out there before and now, and would always choose PJ anything over Styles. But gotta ask, given that it's pretty obvious how/why Styles was able to sell out 15 nights at MSG and almost as many in LA and Chicago each I think, what do you base your certainty PJ could sell out 15 nights at MSG on other than more people knowing PJ songs than Phish songs? 

Btw everything I just said about charts I just looked up. I don't follow them. Wild to see that Ozzy Ozborne has #1 album right now, and Kate Bush is still in top 10 singles with Runnin' Up That Hill thanks to Stranger Things!
    Do you have a crush on Harry Styles?  Lol Good god man. It’s almost like your part of some elaborate marketing strategy to promote him.  PJ could sell out 15 shows at MSG if they only played that city and maybe a couple more across the US. It would require heavy promotion and advertising but it could be done. But as we all know the band doesn’t choose to plays shows and cities based on demand. 
    Post edited by vedpunk on
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,162
    JH6056 said:
    igotid88 said:
    pjl44 said:

I don't know about all that but I'd like to hit 15 Pearl Jam arena shows in one shot
    vedpunk said:
    JH6056 said:
    igotid88 said:
    JH6056 said:
    igotid88 said:
    pjl44 said:

3) We all know that whether an album or songs is great or not has little to do with the charts. But the Billboard charts are still absolutely an indicator of sales and demand, so for a question like this there is some relevance. Gigaton did debut at #1 on the Billboard Rock chart, and got to #2 on the Billboard overall album charts and was on that chart for 8 weeks.  You said "Harry has a few hits"... But not only has Harry's House his album debuted at #1 in US, Styles broke records buy having his album & his single "As It Was" both debut at #1 simutaneously in ALL of these countries: US, UK, Canada, Germany, Australia, Netherlands, Italy, Ireland, New Zealand, Switzerland, and Belgium. AND every single one of the 13 songs on that album charted, which is highly unusual.

Do you have a crush on Harry Styles?  Lol Good god man. It’s almost like your part of some elaborate marketing strategy to promote him.  PJ could sell out 15 shows at MSG if they only played that city and maybe a couple more across the US. It would require heavy promotion and advertising but it could be done. But as we all know the band doesn’t choose to plays shows and cities based on demand. 
    Someone else posed the question, and it made me look up their stats. No crush & wouldn't have seen him but for my 13 yr old daughter, but do you really not find every thing I posted relevant to the larger question? If someone asks if it could be done, the level of Styles' current popularity & sales is entirely relevant.  And he's literally breaking records.  This is just a conversation, but you're another person saying PJ could do it but not saying what you're basing it on. What do you base that on, just gut or what?  Now that someone else has raised this, I'm sincerely curious.  
    JH6056 said:
    vedpunk said:
    JH6056 said:
    igotid88 said:
    JH6056 said:
    igotid88 said:
    pjl44 said:

Someone else posed the question, and it made me look up their stats. No crush & wouldn't have seen him but for my 13 yr old daughter, but do you really not find every thing I posted relevant to the larger question? If someone asks if it could be done, the level of Styles' current popularity & sales is entirely relevant.  And he's literally breaking records.  This is just a conversation, but you're another person saying PJ could do it but not saying what you're basing it on. What do you base that on, just gut or what?  Now that someone else has raised this, I'm sincerely curious.  
    30+ years of hits. An album debut in the top 5 every decade. I think 15 nights at MSG is doable. Now if it was Wembley Stadium that's a different thing altogether. Surprised they haven't played there yet. Stadium not arena.
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 said:
    JH6056 said:
    vedpunk said:
    JH6056 said:
    igotid88 said:
    JH6056 said:
    igotid88 said:
    pjl44 said:

30+ years of hits. An album debut in the top 5 every decade. I think 15 nights at MSG is doable. Now if it was Wembley Stadium that's a different thing altogether. Surprised they haven't played there yet. Stadium not arena.
    I don't see it, but I get that many of you do. Most importantly though, I'm glad that all signs point to this not being something PJ would ever even want to do. The fans that have the money & time to travel and see tons of shows in a leg are lucky & also spoiled. Part of the reason I have been loyal to PJ for the 29 yrs I've followed them is because they try to be accessible to as many fans as possible. So 15 arena shows in 15 cities sounds good & right to me. Makes a huge difference to who CAN go, even if lots of people would like to go to 15 shows in one place.
  • RenfieldRenfield Posts: 1,054
    igotid88 said:

errrr… I’m a Harry Styles cougar fan?? Learn something new everyday 😍 I only know 1 song, but I had to see him! The show I saw at MSG on 9. 7 was sold-out, packed to the rafters. There’s no curtain, his stage is a large rectangle on center floor. 

The sound of 20,000 teenagers screeching made my ears bleed once Harry came out. I much prefer the roar of the crowd at a PJ concert, like on 9.11. I live 10 blocks away from MSG-would I go to 15 PJ shows? 🤔 

JH6056 said:
    igotid88 said:
    JH6056 said:
    vedpunk said:
    JH6056 said:
    igotid88 said:
    JH6056 said:
    igotid88 said:
    pjl44 said:

I don't see it, but I get that many of you do. Most importantly though, I'm glad that all signs point to this not being something PJ would ever even want to do. The fans that have the money & time to travel and see tons of shows in a leg are lucky & also spoiled. Part of the reason I have been loyal to PJ for the 29 yrs I've followed them is because they try to be accessible to as many fans as possible. So 15 arena shows in 15 cities sounds good & right to me. Makes a huge difference to who CAN go, even if lots of people would like to go to 15 shows in one place.
    It doesn't have to sell out in 2 minutes. I'm sure there'll be some tickets available day of. But they sold out MSG this tour before people asked for refunds during the pandemic. And still sold those again plus very high premium seats. And that's the whole arena even up to the 400s. 
    Rage did 5 nights same setlist. They blocked out the back. 
    I miss igotid88
    edited September 2022
    igotid88 said:
    JH6056 said:
    igotid88 said:
    JH6056 said:
    vedpunk said:
    JH6056 said:
    igotid88 said:
    JH6056 said:
    igotid88 said:
    pjl44 said:

It doesn't have to sell out in 2 minutes. I'm sure there'll be some tickets available day of. But they sold out MSG this tour before people asked for refunds during the pandemic. And still sold those again plus very high premium seats. And that's the whole arena even up to the 400s. 
    Selling out 1 or 2 nights is one thing. Selling out 15 in one place is entirely different.  And no one said it had to sell out in 2 min, the question is would it sell out at all. 15 nights is 300,000 tix in 1 city. And Rage even with not selling behind the stage didn't sell out, although I don't know if that was about demand or the insanely expensive prices the 1st time tix went onsale.
  • JP218404JP218404 Posts: 1,402
    They couldn’t do it. That simple 
    Marquee 91
    Wetlands 91
    CBGB 91
    Roseland 91
    and many, many more
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,123
    15 shows at MSG would be kinda boring, IMO. What really would be the point? Spread those shows around the east coast I say. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • RK50065RK50065 Posts: 897
    mcgruff10 said:
    I think pj could sell out 15 shows at msg but I don’t see them ever doing it.  According to my daughter, Harry has a place in the city he calls home.  Pj would be living in the same hotel for the better part of a month.  
    Harry's House...
    JH6056 said:
    igotid88 said:
    JH6056 said:
    igotid88 said:
    JH6056 said:
    vedpunk said:
    JH6056 said:
    igotid88 said:
    JH6056 said:
    igotid88 said:
    pjl44 said:

Selling out 1 or 2 nights is one thing. Selling out 15 in one place is entirely different.  And no one said it had to sell out in 2 min, the question is would it sell out at all. 15 nights is 300,000 tix in 1 city. And Rage even with not selling behind the stage didn't sell out, although I don't know if that was about demand or the insanely expensive prices the 1st time tix went onsale.
    I believe it would. Obviously Harry has the momentum with a #1 single and him in the news everyday but that's not always a guarantee.. so it was surprising that there was a high demand. Even I tried. Mostly to see Sarah.  But the tickets were too much. 
    Pearl Jam has fans that travel. Even when they don't have tickets. If they do 15 shows in a 2 month period. You have the die hards that might do 2-4+ shows. The casual fan. The tourists. Someone's plus one. Then you might have someone who goes for their first show and loves it and wants to go again. And then when they find out they'll do different songs might go to another. If could do 2 Fenway or Wrigley shoes at 60k or at the time SafeCo with 80k for 2 nights. And there were still people who got shutout. I think they can do it. Otherwise we are a doomed society. 

I miss igotid88
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,420
    With New York’s resell laws there is no question PJ would sell out 15 nights at MSG because the ticket agencies and scalpers would be buying up thousands of them:  go on stub hub a day or two after a new Billy Joel show goes on sale there are thousands on sale with tickets in every section available. 
  • JPPJ84JPPJ84 Posts: 3,462
    Renfield said:
    igotid88 said:

errrr… I’m a Harry Styles cougar fan?? Learn something new everyday 😍 I only know 1 song, but I had to see him! The show I saw at MSG on 9. 7 was sold-out, packed to the rafters. There’s no curtain, his stage is a large rectangle on center floor. 

The sound of 20,000 teenagers screeching made my ears bleed once Harry came out. I much prefer the roar of the crowd at a PJ concert, like on 9.11. I live 10 blocks away from MSG-would I go to 15 PJ shows? 🤔 

You’re my favouritest most favourite cougar if that helps ;)
  • Easy for Harry Styles to sell out that many shows when it’s the parents of his fans that are financing the ticket purchases to his gigs. Teenage girls aren’t the most logical herd of people…they’ll gladly go to see the same show 4 times if someone else is paying.

Obviously, it’s not just that but I think that’s part of it. Harry Styles might be the biggest draw in music right now and Pearl Jam (despite being the best live band around and far more talented) falls more into the legacy rock act category so hard to compare the two at this stage of their careers. As others have said, if it’s the mid 90s and assuming no battle with TM? PJ could easily sell out MSG that many times.
  • The Phish MSG Bakers Dozen run was summer 2017.  Dates had a rhythm of Fri-Sat-Sun-Tues-Wed.
    There may have been a few shows early in the run, like the first Tues, Wed that didn’t sell out (although wouldn’t have missed by much).  I was able to get a ticket to the 2nd Friday show a couple days before.  That run definitely gained momentum as fans figured out what they were doing with the no repeats and different donut themed nights (ie red velvet donut night through in some Velvet Underground covers; jam filled night had a few songs that they normally don’t stretch out go from 5 minutes to 25 minutes; Boston Cream night had a mashup of greatest hits by bands Boston and Cream at one point).  By the end of the run tickets were very pricey on the secondary market.  It ended up being one of the defining runs in Phish’s now ~40 year run of playing.  
    I think Phish can still sell out a 13 (plus) night run at MSG.  They do annual 4 night runs there around New Years (this year moved to April because of COVID) that sell out right away and have a huge fan base in Northeast, within train distance.  Their style much different than other bands like Pearl Jam where it’s not just the unique sets but each song has the potential to be played differently the way they improv/jam off of them.  One night a song might be 10 minutes.  A couple shows later could be 20 where it goes in a whole different musical direction for stretches.  That’s what keeps people coming back to multiple shows per tour/run.  Pearl Jam will mix up the sets ~80-85% night to night but save for few exceptions in songs like Evenflow, Porch, RVM, Daughter tag, there’s not a lot of variation from one version to the next.  Phish might do ~15 songs per show but easily stretch that out to a 2:45-2:55 long show.
    I don’t think Pearl Jam would be able to sell out double-digit MSG run (unless tickets came with unique merch poster/shirt/hat/sticker bundle for each night but that’s a different debate…).  I would say probably closer to 7 nights realistically.  Would end up with too many repeats or some duds that a lot of people just don’t want to hear.  
    Just looked at my Pearl Jam stats with 192 unique songs filling most albums and popular B-sides and covers over 35 shows since 1998. Some back of the napkin math let’s round that up to 200 songs.  25 songs per show based on most recent tour.  Gives you 8 shows with no repeats.  
    TFC '97, TFC '98, Pittsburgh '98, Camden I,II '98, Camden I,II '00, Pittsburgh '00, Philly '03, Camden I,II '03, MSG I,II '03, Hershey '03, Reading '04, Philly '05, Camden I,II '06, Meadowlands I '06, Camden I,II '08, DC '08, Spectrum I,II,III,IV '09, Made in America '12, Philly I,II '13, GCF '15, Philly I,II '16, MSG I '16, Apollo ‘22, MSG ‘22, Camden ‘22, MSG I,II '24, Philly I,II '24
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,305
    Living in the northeast, I selfishly wish PJ was less of a draw. Every tour it becomes harder to get tickets for me and it’s unnecessarily stressful. 
    edited September 2022
    kosteva2 said:
    The Phish MSG Bakers Dozen run was summer 2017.  Dates had a rhythm of Fri-Sat-Sun-Tues-Wed.
    There may have been a few shows early in the run, like the first Tues, Wed that didn’t sell out (although wouldn’t have missed by much).  I was able to get a ticket to the 2nd Friday show a couple days before.  That run definitely gained momentum as fans figured out what they were doing with the no repeats and different donut themed nights (ie red velvet donut night through in some Velvet Underground covers; jam filled night had a few songs that they normally don’t stretch out go from 5 minutes to 25 minutes; Boston Cream night had a mashup of greatest hits by bands Boston and Cream at one point).  By the end of the run tickets were very pricey on the secondary market.  It ended up being one of the defining runs in Phish’s now ~40 year run of playing.  
    I think Phish can still sell out a 13 (plus) night run at MSG.  They do annual 4 night runs there around New Years (this year moved to April because of COVID) that sell out right away and have a huge fan base in Northeast, within train distance.  Their style much different than other bands like Pearl Jam where it’s not just the unique sets but each song has the potential to be played differently the way they improv/jam off of them.  One night a song might be 10 minutes.  A couple shows later could be 20 where it goes in a whole different musical direction for stretches.  That’s what keeps people coming back to multiple shows per tour/run.  Pearl Jam will mix up the sets ~80-85% night to night but save for few exceptions in songs like Evenflow, Porch, RVM, Daughter tag, there’s not a lot of variation from one version to the next.  Phish might do ~15 songs per show but easily stretch that out to a 2:45-2:55 long show.
    I don’t think Pearl Jam would be able to sell out double-digit MSG run (unless tickets came with unique merch poster/shirt/hat/sticker bundle for each night but that’s a different debate…).  I would say probably closer to 7 nights realistically.  Would end up with too many repeats or some duds that a lot of people just don’t want to hear.  
    Just looked at my Pearl Jam stats with 192 unique songs filling most albums and popular B-sides and covers over 35 shows since 1998. Some back of the napkin math let’s round that up to 200 songs.  25 songs per show based on most recent tour.  Gives you 8 shows with no repeats.  
    Thanks, that's fascinating info. I absolutely love the donut-to-bands theme, that's so damn funny & cool!  I could never really get into Phish (saw them twice) but I get that when you are into them and not only is every show different but most songs are different every time, that is a very cool dynamic. And that "mystery theme" element, not knowing where the donut will take you each show, I CAN understand how that gets both passionate fans and also casual curious fans coming back night after night for a multi-night stand.

I still don't see PJ ever doing a 5+ run anywhere (not saying they wouldn't sell it out, just saying it's hard to see it being something they want to do), but now that you've described the Phish thing and also watching the Taylor Hawkins London benefit show again and the magic & fun that comes from throwing so many amazing musicians together, some legendary, some less known but awesome... I CAN see PJ doing a THEATER multi-night run, like 5 nights at Radio City Music Hall (6,000 capacity) or maybe even the Beacon Theater (3,000 capacity), and doing that combo of "no repeats" PJ songs (which means casual fans would have to be on notice they might not get Alive or Betterman or Evenflow depending on night),but also surprise special guests and maybe a theme for each night that affects the music. It could go in so many directions... It is fun just thinking about something like that with PJ.

But a 10 or 15 night run of straight powerful PJ shows at MSG... I still don't see the band ever having any interest in it, don't see it selling sufficiently, and I see fans everywhere else in the US and world who can't get to MSG being really bummed that instead of 15 NYC shows there weren't 2 in NYC and then 1 in 13 other cities (but yes, I know, a LOT of PJ fans CAN get to MSG. I'm talking about the millions that cannot get to MSG or NYC).
    Post edited by JH6056 on
    JH6056 said:
    kosteva2 said:
    The Phish MSG Bakers Dozen run was summer 2017.  Dates had a rhythm of Fri-Sat-Sun-Tues-Wed.
    Thanks, that's fascinating info. I absolutely love the donut-to-bands theme, that's so damn funny & cool!  I could never really get into Phish (saw them twice) but I get that when you are into them and not only is every show different but most songs are different every time, that is a very cool dynamic. And that "mystery theme" element, not knowing where the donut will take you each show, I CAN understand how that gets both passionate fans and also casual curious fans coming back night after night for a multi-night stand.

I still don't see PJ ever doing a 5+ run anywhere (not saying they wouldn't sell it out, just saying it's hard to see it being something they want to do), but now that you've described the Phish thing and also watching the Taylor Hawkins London benefit show again and the magic & fun that comes from throwing so many amazing musicians together, some legendary, some less known but awesome... I CAN see PJ doing a THEATER multi-night run, like 5 nights at Radio City Music Hall (6,000 capacity) or maybe even the Beacon Theater (3,000 capacity), and doing that combo of "no repeats" PJ songs (which means casual fans would have to be on notice they might not get Alive or Betterman or Evenflow depending on night),but also surprise special guests and maybe a theme for each night that affects the music. It could go in so many directions... It is fun just thinking about something like that with PJ.

But a 10 or 15 night run of straight powerful PJ shows at MSG... I still don't see the band ever having any interest in it, don't see it selling sufficiently, and I see fans everywhere else in the US and world who can't get to MSG being really bummed that instead of 15 NYC shows there weren't 2 in NYC and then 1 in 13 other cities (but yes, I know, a LOT of PJ fans CAN get to MSG. I'm talking about the millions that cannot get to MSG or NYC).
    Tourists. Not everyone is a Knicks fan but they'll catch a game or a Broadway play. You can find people to go. Or if they would do 1 show a month with maybe some with 2 or 3 shows.
    I miss igotid88
  • Selling out MSG has to be the easiest arena in the world to sell out.