MSG 9/11 Merch scores

Comments

• JeffPJeffP Posts: 82
    The PJ merch scene is embarrassing 

buncha losers wasting hours hoping to buy some crap to flip on eBay for an extra $50
    10/1/96 Buffalo, 9/11/98 MSG, 9/13/98 Hartford, 8/30/00 Great Woods, 9/29/04 Boston
  • Release EVRelease EV Posts: 2,032
    So the limited items were the hat and license plate.

Anyone have a pic of the pin variants?
    So why limited? Why are these msg hats on ebay for ridiculous amounts? Someone enlighten me as it shouldn't surprise me, but this merch situation gets worse by the tour.

And how much were the Knicks hat?
    MSG is notorious for high after market prices.  You are allowed to buy the stuff without having a ticket.  It's a dumb system.

The hat was $40 I believe. And you have 2 shows only in the whole East coast pretty much so everyone wants it.

The GCF hats were the nicest I have seen in a while yet nobody goes ape shit for those, lol!
    GCF? Global citizen? What did they look like Chris?
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,086
    edited September 2022

So why limited? Why are these msg hats on ebay for ridiculous amounts? Someone enlighten me as it shouldn't surprise me, but this merch situation gets worse by the tour.

MSG is notorious for high after market prices.  You are allowed to buy the stuff without having a ticket.  It's a dumb system.

The hat was $40 I believe. And you have 2 shows only in the whole East coast pretty much so everyone wants it.

The GCF hats were the nicest I have seen in a while yet nobody goes ape shit for those, lol!
    https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/pearl-jam-global-citizen-festival-nyc-1781454110

I can't find a pic of them both but they did Mets and Yankees colors.  They are made really well.  I am almost positive I sent you a pic of them in the hats I had back a bit.
  • JeffP said:

buncha losers wasting hours hoping to buy some crap to flip on eBay for an extra $50
    pretty much. 2016 was eye opening for the absurdity. 2018 cemented it as absolutely insane.

at the seattle shows the line for merch wrapped around pretty much the entire stadium concourse DURING THE SHOW. 
    First Show: Springfield, MA 4/6/94
  • Release EVRelease EV Posts: 2,032

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/pearl-jam-global-citizen-festival-nyc-1781454110

I can't find a pic of them both but they did Mets and Yankees colors.  They are made really well.  I am almost positive I sent you a pic of them in the hats I had back a bit.
     Yeah u did mate now I know which ones u meant. I have that gcf one and friggin love it too.

I think this is going to be difficult to find u think from what u saw? 
  • JeffP said:

pretty much. 2016 was eye opening for the absurdity. 2018 cemented it as absolutely insane.

at the seattle shows the line for merch wrapped around pretty much the entire stadium concourse DURING THE SHOW. 
    It was absurd long before then.  

But then again, I spent a grand total of 19 hours in NYC and 7 of them were probably sitting in a bar. I suppose I shouldn't be throwing stones lol
  • RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,465
    It got insane around MSG 03, the scientist poster. 
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,774
    JeffP said:

pretty much.....the msg line around 1230pm....was so SAD. I saw it, ran to the bar. I know someone who waited 2hours....didnt get shit

I got in thru GA, Bought a few things in 5 minutes....had a great pregame before the show.
    in the rain nonetheless.....we all want something, but the cost isnt worth it financially and huge waste of time

but i guess flippers dont really have jobs, or decent ones
    I waited on line for GCF merch for 5 hours and got 1 pretty bad poster, never again. In at doors is the way.
  • RS65573 said:
    I waited on line for GCF merch for 5 hours and got 1 pretty bad poster, never again. In at doors is the way.
    You arrived way too late then.  I showed up 2 hrs before open and got everything I wanted EXCEPT the Transformers poster, lol.  That sold out in front of me twice...
    RS65573 said:
    You arrived way too late then.  I showed up 2 hrs before open and got everything I wanted EXCEPT the Transformers poster, lol.  That sold out in front of me twice...
    Yeah I arrived at noon. Even that was nuts to me. I then went to the bar, bought the skyline from ebay for $85 and swore id never do it again. Ive been really lucky just going to the stand when the doors open.
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,933
    I prefer not to waste time on line when we travel to a show.  I'm good with grabbing a poster at the ten club drop or paying up on ebay.  I could almost talk myself into a 3 or 4 hour wait on line but the prospect of wasting that time and still have items sold out when I got to the front would be a major letdown.  I'd rather pay someone to wait on line for me via ebay and ship it to my house.

I got to SHN early for the presale day only because it was 10 minutes from home.  Anywhere else I think I'm over the long lines. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• on2legs said:
    I prefer not to waste time on line when we travel to a show.  I'm good with grabbing a poster at the ten club drop or paying up on ebay.  I could almost talk myself into a 3 or 4 hour wait on line but the prospect of wasting that time and still have items sold out when I got to the front would be a major letdown.  I'd rather pay someone to wait on line for me via ebay and ship it to my house.

I got to SHN early for the presale day only because it was 10 minutes from home.  Anywhere else I think I'm over the long lines. 
    Same...plus if you are willing to wait a few weeks the prices on ebay drop on stickers, etc. Shirts are a little harder to get on ebay if you wait but they are there if you have to have it.

I learned my merch lessen at Wrigley several years ago. Waited in line for 2 hours and poster sold out while I was a few people away from the cashier. Not worth it...get out and explore.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • tdawetdawe Posts: 2,089
    Since I’m trying to be grateful today, I guess I’m lucky that the merch situation at these shows is so far beyond what I’d even consider reasonable that it’s not even a question for me. If the deal was that I had to stand on line for an hour before the show to be guaranteed to get a poster and whatever else I might want (plus the additional cost of any normal people I was going with thinking I’m crazy), I’d probably at least consider it. But getting on a line first thing in the morning and standing around for 4-5 hours? And still having the possibility of things selling out in front of me? Absolutely not. 

What I’m saying is that I’m glad there are enough of you lunatics out there to make it such a hassle that it’s an easy call for me. Thank you for your service. Fuck the flippers forever though, obviously. 
    Camden 2 2006, Newark 2010, Barclays 2 2013, Central Park 2015, MSG 2 2016, Wrigley 1 2016, Rome 2018, Prague 2018, Asbury Park 2021, EV & Earthlings NYC 1 2022, MSG 2022, Louisville 2022, Dublin 2024, MSG 1 2024, MSG 2 2024
  • JeffP said:

Got shut out eh?  
    Tempers are wearing thin. Let's hope some robot doesn't kill everybody.
  • SHZASHZA Posts: 3,893
    edited September 2022
    CROJAM95 said:
    in the rain nonetheless.....we all want something, but the cost isnt worth it financially and huge waste of time

.I completely agree that if you asked me if I'd rather stand in a line for 3 hours for something or pay an extra $100 for it, it's a no brainer. But there's a social aspect to the merch scene. I ran into a bunch of people I've met through this forum and PJ Facebook. At one point, the couple next to me asked if I was "the mayor" because so many people stopped by to chat. So it didn't really feel like a waste of 3 hours just to get a mediocre poster 
  • For me, it all depends on the city that the show is in. If it's a hometown show or somewhere I've been a million times? I have no issues burning a few hours waiting in line and talking to die-hard fans to ensure I get the stuff I want without an insane markup. I've actually met some awesome people in those lines so don't knock it until you try it. But if the show is in a city I traveled far and wide to or it's in some place I've never been, then I'd rather see/explore the city and pay the markup on eBay or wait for a 10c drop.

All that said, to call someone a loser or jobless because they chose to wait in a line for a couple of concert souvenir is a bush-league move IMO. Everyone has different priorities and values their time differently...no need to bash others just because you would prefer to doing something else with that time. The flippers are a different story...criticize them all you want!
  • Go AnimalGo Animal Posts: 5,613
    on2legs said:

And I thank you for that last part, lol🙌
    PJ - 09/23/98: West Palm Beach II, 08/12/00: Tampa, 04/12/03: Orlando, 04/13/03: Tampa, 06/12/08: Tampa, 06/27/08: Hartford, 09/22/09: Seattle II, 04/11/16: Tampa, 05/01 & 05/02/16: MSG I & II, 09/18/21: Sea Hear Now, 10/01 & 10/02/21: Ohana Encore I & II, 05/06 & 05/07/22: Los Angeles I & II, 09/11/22: MSG, 09/16/22: Nashville, 09/02/23: St. Paul II, 09/07/23: Chicago II, 09/18 & 09/19/23: Austin I & II, 05/16 & 05/18/24: Las Vegas I & II, 08/29 & 08/31/24: Wrigley Field I & II, 09/03 & 09/04/24: MSG I & II

EV - 08/04 & 08/05/08: (Eddie solo, w/Liam Finn) NYC I & II, 11/27 & 11/28/12: (Eddie solo, w/Glen Hansard) Orlando I & II, 02/09 & 02/10/22: (Eddie & the Earthlings) Chicago I & II, 09/30/23: (Eddie & the Earthlings) Ohana Festival

Song Wishlist: Oceans, Brother, Alone, Let Me Sleep, full W.M.A., Hold On, Bugs/all of Vitalogy, Gremmie Out Of Control, Mankind, Around The Bend (full band), The Long Road, Don't Gimme No Lip, Pilate, Push Me Pull Me, All Those Yesterdays, Rival, Parting Ways, Ghost, Bu$hleaguer, WWS, Parachutes, Army Reserve, low octave Driftin', Strangest Tribe, Other Side, Undone, Fatal, Hitchhiker, Education, Black Red Yellow, Of the Earth, Love Reign O'er Me, Gonna See My Friend, Amongst the Waves, Santa Cruz, Infallible, Yellow Moon, Alright, Comes Then Goes, Got to Give, and the Mamasan Trilogy.

Wanted Posters: WPB '98, Tampa/WPB '00, Tampa '03, EV Batmobile '08        ISO: any picks, or setlists from any of my shows!
    SHZA said:
    CROJAM95 said:

.I completely agree that if you asked me if I'd rather stand in a line for 3 hours for something or pay an extra $100 for it, it's a no brainer. But there's a social aspect to the merch scene. I ran into a bunch of people I've met through this forum and PJ Facebook. At one point, the couple next to me asked if I was "the mayor" because so many people stopped by to chat. So it didn't really feel like a waste of 3 hours just to get a mediocre poster 
    if you know anything from prior show merch sales , when you see that msg line....you have to say, hmmmm i bet 95% chance the most sought after merch will be gone wayyyy before i sniff the merch table.....your in NYC, so much fun to be had
    SHZA said:
    CROJAM95 said:

Dude, you SHOULD be the mayor. I hereby nominate you for Mayor. You hold court, talk shop, and look out for your fellow fan. Mayor SHZA👏
    PJ - 09/23/98: West Palm Beach II, 08/12/00: Tampa, 04/12/03: Orlando, 04/13/03: Tampa, 06/12/08: Tampa, 06/27/08: Hartford, 09/22/09: Seattle II, 04/11/16: Tampa, 05/01 & 05/02/16: MSG I & II, 09/18/21: Sea Hear Now, 10/01 & 10/02/21: Ohana Encore I & II, 05/06 & 05/07/22: Los Angeles I & II, 09/11/22: MSG, 09/16/22: Nashville, 09/02/23: St. Paul II, 09/07/23: Chicago II, 09/18 & 09/19/23: Austin I & II, 05/16 & 05/18/24: Las Vegas I & II, 08/29 & 08/31/24: Wrigley Field I & II, 09/03 & 09/04/24: MSG I & II

EV - 08/04 & 08/05/08: (Eddie solo, w/Liam Finn) NYC I & II, 11/27 & 11/28/12: (Eddie solo, w/Glen Hansard) Orlando I & II, 02/09 & 02/10/22: (Eddie & the Earthlings) Chicago I & II, 09/30/23: (Eddie & the Earthlings) Ohana Festival

Song Wishlist: Oceans, Brother, Alone, Let Me Sleep, full W.M.A., Hold On, Bugs/all of Vitalogy, Gremmie Out Of Control, Mankind, Around The Bend (full band), The Long Road, Don't Gimme No Lip, Pilate, Push Me Pull Me, All Those Yesterdays, Rival, Parting Ways, Ghost, Bu$hleaguer, WWS, Parachutes, Army Reserve, low octave Driftin', Strangest Tribe, Other Side, Undone, Fatal, Hitchhiker, Education, Black Red Yellow, Of the Earth, Love Reign O'er Me, Gonna See My Friend, Amongst the Waves, Santa Cruz, Infallible, Yellow Moon, Alright, Comes Then Goes, Got to Give, and the Mamasan Trilogy.

Wanted Posters: WPB '98, Tampa/WPB '00, Tampa '03, EV Batmobile '08        ISO: any picks, or setlists from any of my shows!
  • mrz200mrz200 Posts: 80
    edited September 2022
    the poster situation - by all bands, certainly not unique to PJ - blows my mind.

it's the same 10-20 count group of artists doing PJ, Phish, Dead & Co, Jack White, etc, so it's not like the artist benefits from a scarcity thing that a limited poster release is going to create.

On a 1500 piece poster release, does the band (or trademark holder) even make 15k$?  Posters are generally $50, and I'm (wildly) assuming that it's a relatively even split between artist-band-venue-poster manufacturing company @ $10/ea. 

My belief is that for the revenue it generates, it seems to be bordering on a "not worth it" situation if I'm the band and venue, as it's obvious that venues aren't in love with managing merch lines hours & hours before a show.

There's wild demand for more quantity, and that only the band, poster artist, and the fan who wants to hang the poster up, etc.

Just seems that tripling poster quantities benefits everyone except the ebay scalping contingent.

full disclosure: I waited an hour+ at Widespread Panic's show in Atlanta last month for a Marq Spusta, who hadn't done a panic show in 10 years so I'm absolutely part of the problem :) but it's hanging in my house, not on ebay.
  • OceansJennyOceansJenny Posts: 3,393
    edited September 2022
    mrz200 said:
    the poster situation - by all bands, certainly not unique to PJ - blows my mind.

it's the same 10-20 count group of artists doing PJ, Phish, Dead & Co, Jack White, etc, so it's not like the artist benefits from a scarcity thing that a limited poster release is going to create.

On a 1500 piece poster release, does the band (or trademark holder) even make 15k$?  Posters are generally $50, and I'm (wildly) assuming that it's a relatively even split between artist-band-venue-poster manufacturing company @ $10/ea. 

My belief is that for the revenue it generates, it seems to be bordering on a "not worth it" situation if I'm the band and venue, as it's obvious that venues aren't in love with managing merch lines hours & hours before a show.

There's wild demand for more quantity, and that only the band, poster artist, and the fan who wants to hang the poster up, etc.

Just seems that tripling poster quantities benefits everyone except the ebay scalping contingent.

full disclosure: I waited an hour+ at Widespread Panic's show in Atlanta last month for a Marq Spusta, who hadn't done a panic show in 10 years so I'm absolutely part of the problem :) but it's hanging in my house, not on ebay.
    If you are curious about gig poster economics from the artist’s perspective, check out Brad Klausen’s post here (also see the larger post he has above this one). They get zero from the show sales and instead make their commission from the artist sale afterwards. So a show poster sell out (and limited quantities) helps drive the artist drop sales, which is the only area they make any money.

https://community.pearljam.com/discussion/comment/7505434#Comment_7505434
    Post edited by OceansJenny on
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,933
    Go Animal said:
    on2legs said:

😂

Are you going to Nashville, Matt?
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

edited September 2022
    on2legs said:
    Go Animal said:
    on2legs said:

😂

Are you going to Nashville, Matt?
    Yessir! Just had my first real night of sleep in a weekend😅DM'ing ya!
    Post edited by Go Animal on

• I like what Metallica has started doing with their posters...they don't sell the posters at the show; they post a QR code on the screen before the show and you can scan it to buy then.  They then ship to your house.  Presumably, they print based off the demand ensuring everyone who wants one gets one.  
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • I like what Metallica has started doing with their posters...they don't sell the posters at the show; they post a QR code on the screen before the show and you can scan it to buy then.  They then ship to your house.  Presumably, they print based off the demand ensuring everyone who wants one gets one.  
    That would be awesome.
  • RS65573 said:
    It got insane around MSG 03, the scientist poster. 
    that's true. i stayed at the hotel across from msg for those shows. i remember going and grabbing a poster whenever merch opened and was like wtf at the hype/line. i don't think there's anything i'd wait in line for (over maybe 15-20min). it's just...things. and most of those things are bought and then just resold anyway, whether it is this week or in 5yrs. 
    First Show: Springfield, MA 4/6/94
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,688
    CROJAM95 said:
    SHZA said:
    CROJAM95 said:

if you know anything from prior show merch sales , when you see that msg line....you have to say, hmmmm i bet 95% chance the most sought after merch will be gone wayyyy before i sniff the merch table.....your in NYC, so much fun to be had
    The MSG line was crazy. I got there early and waited several hours. I live in NYC - so what else did I need to do on a rainy Sunday. I got everything I wanted and was able to run it home. But when I was in Canada I only waited in one merch line, and actually had fun meeting some cool new people. I was in Toronto for several days so it did not infringe on my sightseeing.

• JojoRiceJojoRice Posts: 4,205
    I like what Metallica has started doing with their posters...they don't sell the posters at the show; they post a QR code on the screen before the show and you can scan it to buy then.  They then ship to your house.  Presumably, they print based off the demand ensuring everyone who wants one gets one.  
    Now that is a great idea!!  @Santos L. Halper could this be something to look into down the line? 
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.