DMB just played 3 nights - zero repeats

Comments

• would be great to see more riot act & avocado being played!
    "Bring it back, to the clean form. To the pure form"

28/09/04 - Boston, 20/04/06 - London [\\mm//Astoria\\mm//] - 18/06/07 - Wembley Arena, 11/08/09 -  London [\\mm//Shepherds Bush Empire\\mm//],18/08/09 - 02 Arena, 25/06/10 - Hyde Park, 26/06/12 - Amsterdam, 27/06/12 - Amsterdam, 08/07/14 - Leeds,11/07/14 - Milton Keynes, 13/06/18 - Amsterdam, 18/06/18 - London 02 Arena, 17/07/18 - London 02 Arena, 08/08/22 - Hyde Park, 9/08/22 - Hyde Park - 25/08/22 - Amsterdam, 29/07/24 - London {*Tottenham Stadium TBC*}
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,123
    Three nights at the Gorge over Labor Day...and another Seattle date announced for early November. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • dcp3ydcp3y Posts: 817
    Maybe the band appreciates that many of their followers love their lesser known commercial “hits, b-sides, and deep cuts.”  It truly is a fine line to walk as invariably each show is also someone’s first PJ show.  All the same to me, the volume of PJ hits is such that I think there are no “musts” on any given night especially considering the “shorter” set lists (my minority opinion).  I am lining up for the Nashville, Louisville, & St Louis triple threat and would love for no repeats but have no real expectation that will actually happen…but just knowing it could is very exciting.  Reality is closer to 12-15 of the same songs being played each night at all three venues.  Regardless, I will enjoy each song offered up and have my fingers crossed for some first time gems for me (Indifference, Tremor Christ, Sometimes, Mankind, In Hiding, Nothing As It Seems, You Are, Marker In The Sand, Big Wave, Dirty Frank, Brother, Gonna See My Friend, Alright, Comes Then Goes, and Retrograde…to name a few of my ISOs and yes, that is a highly abridged list).  Very hard to get non-Ten tracks after a given album’s tour unless it is a “mega-hit” and played nearly every show.  Volume is my lone answer, so running three back-to-back-to-back to see what shakes out.  Fingers crossed 🤞🏻for some crumbs thrown my way.  #keeponrockin
  • Just want to say- they absolutely have been crushing the mainstays this year on tour. I think Mike has never been better on a few of the Black versions this year - feels longer too. Obv. he crushes Evenflow. Porch has a great breakdown and build up. Crazy Mary has become an even better version of Boom/Mike dueling than it was years ago. And Corduroy is always a rush. I've heard Alive enough but I get it - that's the closer. 

Mix in some more of the gems from the late 90s early 00s but musically they've never sounded better on their older hits. 
    Mansfield 6/30/08 -  Wrigley Field 7/14/13 -  Worcester I 10/15/13 -  Global Citizen 9/26/15 -  MSG II 5/2/16 -  Fenway I 8/5/16 -  Fenway II 8/7/16 -  Fenway II 9/4/18 - LA I 5/6/22 - LA II 5/7/22 - MSG 9/11/22 - Nashville 9/16/22 - St. Paul I and II 8/31/23-9/2/23
  • Not a huge Dave fan, but have to give the guy credit. He's a road warrior.  Tours his ass off spring through fall. Hopefully he spends most of winters in a warm, tropical place lol
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,391
    Porch is one of their greatest live songs.  If you are tired of that one you might want to take a break or scale back on the amount of shows you are seeing.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited September 2022
    I've seen DMB twice this year and to put things in perspective, when he played new material or a "B" side the majority of the audience was quiet. He busts out a cover, sledgehammer, which I freaking hate and is my piss break song, the place goes nuts. He plays Ants Marching, the entire crowd sings and darn near cries in jubilation. 

When PJ plays the hits or the same stuff, it is for the majority of the crowd that doesn't know their entire catalog. In 2016 I went to Philly 1 with my best friend growing up, it was his first show. He had zero interest in education, in the moonlight, Chloe or crown. Even flow? After that song he high-fives me and says that was freaking awesome. Mike playing behind his head, was unreal. 

I am taking another first timer to Nashville this year. I am hoping for the staples so she can enjoy herself. If they bust out some rarity it will be nice but besides our crazy song chasing white whale hunting selves, how many of the audience will enjoy it? 

BTW, why all the hate for crazy mary? 
    Yeah I would take CM every show. Love it. I have complained that if set lists are going to be shorter it would be nice to avoid covers but that one is an exception in my opinion.

My DMB story is from about 6-7 years ago. I saw them when they came through Indy and have never been a big fan but liked some of what I hear on the radio. I was amazed at how many people are just there to say they were there. They started playing a song that I had never heard before and I thought "damn I like that"...good groove, came across really well. Probably like PJ busing out Of the Girl mid show. It blew me away that no one gave a shit. People sitting in front of us were sitting down talking to each other paying no attention whatsoever. Not everyone but enough that it surprised the shit out of me.

And Ants Marching has got to be one of the stupidest songs ever put on a record. Just horrid.
    IDK.

there is a show from last summer when they busted out the 3rd verse of grey street. It was a Satellite radio Friday night show.

Crowd went nuts and they absolutely knew it hadn’t been played in a decade. At this point most fans of both bands are basically 40 plus. If you are going you know the catalog (generally speaking)

it’s not the same as seeing shows 20 years ago when everyone else was also in their 20’s. That seemed to be way more random crowds 

I’ve consistently been impressed by both fan bases in the current time period (unless you are on the lawn at DMB)

they both release new music, but judging by both fan bases ages they are really bordering being legacy acts. In the sense neither are bringing in lots of new fans with the new albums 
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
  • mcgruff10 said:
    Porch is one of their greatest live songs.  If you are tired of that one you might want to take a break or scale back on the amount of shows you are seeing.  
    Porch is one of their great live songs but that doesn't mean it hasn't been overdone on this past tour to the point where equally great songs (such as Rearviewmirror) have disappeared almost entirely from the sets. I thought a happy medium was where you got Porch one night and then RVM or another traditional closer (DTE, Why Go, Better Man) the next. Ultimately, the setlist isn't mine to make and I'd take shorter shows and porch being played every night to no shows at all.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,391
    mcgruff10 said:
    Porch is one of their great live songs but that doesn't mean it hasn't been overdone on this past tour to the point where equally great songs (such as Rearviewmirror) have disappeared almost entirely from the sets. I thought a happy medium was where you got Porch one night and then RVM or another traditional closer (DTE, Why Go, Better Man) the next. Ultimately, the setlist isn't mine to make and I'd take shorter shows and porch being played every night to no shows at all.
    I do agree with you that rvm should be played more; maybe rvm is harder on ed's voice?  who knows.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I do agree with you that rvm should be played more; maybe rvm is harder on ed's voice?  who knows.  
    It definitely is harder on the voice....it's a shredder
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • I get what you're saying, but No Black? You're asking them to dial back on playing one of the best songs ever written? I get it man, I've seen it 7 times and it's not the same impact as the first 3 times. Still, they have to play that at 70% of shows for regular humans attending. I just wish they would play Alive in the 1st set. That would fix the main problem with these new sets, which sound amazing otherwise. 
  • HaijayHaijay Posts: 374
    nicknyr15 said:
    CG658530 said:
    Jesus Christ, just don't go to the shows. Comparing PJ to DMB is fucking laughable. If they play GTF or Elderly Woman or Corduroy at every show, I'd be happy. The entitlement of the "true fan" is unmatched—you see it in the GA line—it absolutely brings out the worst in people. Y'all need to take a serious supply of chill pills. 
    It’s just as dumb as when people say things like: well
    rhcp played only 18 songs. Or rage played 90 minutes. Works both ways. I’ve never came here and compared them to anyone but THEMSELVES. To act like these sets aren’t a drastic change and no one should bring it up is insane. 

But, you've been bringing it up for 6 solid months, GET OVER IT!!!!’ 

• HaijayHaijay Posts: 374
    nicknyr15 said:
    JimmyV said:
    DMB is still on their summer tour and just now announced more dates for the fall. That's the trick I wish PJ would copy. 
    Yes please! Then it would make even more sense why pj are playing less songs. Because they have to actually pace themselves for a real tour. 
    What a dumb comment
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,305
    ^😂😂😂😂 
    oh boy. Too funny. 
  • SeaSea Posts: 3,008
    Posting Guidelines

1. Be nice. We're very big on RESPECT here. Respect for each other, the band and the Ten Club Community forum environment. Please think of it as if you are as a guest in someone else's home. Please do not put your posting privileges at risk.

2. Discuss, disagree and debate politely. It's possible to disagree with people without being abusive, and it's a requirement here. This includes abusive Private Messages.

a. We operate on the "I'm rubber, you're glue" philosophy so if you make a wonderful, thoughtful post with good points and call the other guy a moron while you're at it, it'll be removed. See #3.

3. There are people bashing and insulting each other all over the internet. We feel it can be better here.

• JeffPJeffP Posts: 82
    Phish did 13 shows @ MSG in 2017 w/o repeating 
    10/1/96 Buffalo, 9/11/98 MSG, 9/13/98 Hartford, 8/30/00 Great Woods, 9/29/04 Boston
  • Jumb0Jumb0 Posts: 910
    JeffP said:
    A planned 13 night residency with a different theme each night is not in the same stratosphere of a standard tour. 
  • apirk72apirk72 Posts: 501
    Guided by voices played 100 songs in a show

Bad Brains have played 15 minute shows which to today everyone there would still say it is the best show they ever saw

Bands are all different
  • Haijay said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    JimmyV said:
    DMB is still on their summer tour and just now announced more dates for the fall. That's the trick I wish PJ would copy. 
    Yes please! Then it would make even more sense why pj are playing less songs. Because they have to actually pace themselves for a real tour. 
    What a dumb comment
    The band is three shows into this leg and already 25% done.  
  • Jumb0 said:
    JeffP said:
    A planned 13 night residency with a different theme each night is not in the same stratosphere of a standard tour. 
    It's also gimmicky and boring. 

if Pearl Jam ever goes out on a "Ten tour" then shoot me... eh wait.. eh... every tour is a Ten tour.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • I expect the accordion to be brought out at MSG and Bugs played and open with Of The Girl.

Then I'm good.
    Jumb0 said:
    JeffP said:

if Pearl Jam ever goes out on a "Ten tour" then shoot me... eh wait.. eh... every tour is a Ten tour.
    Gimmicky to play 13 shows at MsG? To each their own. I wish PJ would tour like phish. We’re lucky if an entire tour consists of 13 shows. 
  • nicknyr15 said:
    Jumb0 said:
    JeffP said:

Gimmicky to play 13 shows at MsG? To each their own. I wish PJ would tour like phish. We’re lucky if an entire tour consists of 13 shows. 
    I meant more, going on tour in support of one "album people remember and owned", like Bruce etc. My mind wandered away to things I dislike.

But also not a fan of MMJ's one album played in full per night etc. More fun when Pearl Jam did it in 2006 with Avocado out of the blue. And with Ten. Then when No Code and Binaural came around it felt a bit done.

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    nicknyr15 said:
    Jumb0 said:
    JeffP said:

I meant more, going on tour in support of one "album people remember and owned", like Bruce etc. My mind wandered away to things I dislike.

But also not a fan of MMJ's one album played in full per night etc. More fun when Pearl Jam did it in 2006 with Avocado out of the blue. And with Ten. Then when No Code and Binaural came around it felt a bit done.

Gotcha. I agree. The way Pj busted out those full album shows was incredible 
  • 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited September 2022
    apirk72 said:
    Guided by voices played 100 songs in a show

Bad Brains have played 15 minute shows which to today everyone there would still say it is the best show they ever saw

Bands are all different
    Right. PJ is a big love in and BB just punches you in the mouth and fucks off. 
    Love either show. 

Petrol Girls at BST did that. Their half hour set (may have been 45 min) was my favourite show of the weekend. Sure, PJ was awesome both nights, Pixies and Cat Power good,  but the Petrol Girls punched me in the mouth. I was so pumped during their show at the birdcage. 

Am I a bigger PG fan than PJ? Absolutely not. Just a different band with a different show.  Discovering a new act with a spectacular approach like that is fucking exciting. 

Post edited by 1ThoughtKnown on
  • Jumb0 said:
    JeffP said:
    phish also did a fall tour in 2019 with no repeats. albeit a small tour of 8 shows, but they did it. there is your standard tour argument
    Atlanta, GA 8/7/00...Atlanta, GA 4/19/03...Columbia, SC 6/16/08...New Orleans, LA 5/1/10...East Troy, WI 9/3/11... East Troy, WI 9/4/11... Atlanta, GA 9/22/12...Greenville, SC 4/16/16...Nashville, TN 9/16/22
    I love the way Phish tours, but they don't have a hit as big as Alive - or Jeremy, or Better Man, etc. - anywhere in their catalog. That's not a shot at their music, it's just a fact. DMB is more comparable to PJ in that regard. 

• RK50065RK50065 Posts: 897
    JimmyV said:
    I love the way Phish tours, but they don't have a hit as big as Alive - or Jeremy, or Better Man, etc. - anywhere in their catalog. That's not a shot at their music, it's just a fact. DMB is more comparable to PJ in that regard. 
    read the book!
  • JimmyV said:
    Then shouldn’t Phish hold onto the song or songs that are kind-of hits with all they got?

While Pearl Jam by having severel well-known songs don’t need to play them all. De facto evey show. 
    JimmyV said:
    Then shouldn’t Phish hold onto the song or songs that are kind-of hits with all they got?

While Pearl Jam by having severel well-known songs don’t need to play them all. De facto evey show. 
    Phish is free to do what they want, and I don't know what they should or shouldn't do.