DMB just played 3 nights - zero repeats

Just saying PJ. Feel free to mix it up a bit in Hamilton and Toronto.

No need for Alive, black, corduroy, given to fly, porch, small town etc.

Those songs and boring and overplayed.

Let's mix it up boys!

Comments

• After not seeing a show since 2016, I am actually really looking forward to a couple hits and Gigaton songs. 

If I was hitting multiple shows, I’d agree though. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Posts: 2,994
    I agree. If I hadn't seen the previous 3 shows I'd be happy with anything. But still, there are way better songs out there than the songs I listed above.
  • jefftjefft Posts: 657
    How many covers?
  • Red Lukin said:
    I agree. If I hadn't seen the previous 3 shows I'd be happy with anything. But still, there are way better songs out there than the songs I listed above.
    Maybe not better per se, just less played.
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,123
    Love all those songs and am never bored when they play them. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,429
    There is not one song in their catalogue that is way better than Courderoy sorry. 
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Posts: 7,756
    I’ve seen ween play 100 different songs over 3 nights and MMJ play 7 albums front to back over 3 nights. I wish PJ would mix it up more but the shows are still great and they’re obviously doing it for a reason. 
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Title should read: DMB just played three nights at the Gorge - zero repeats. 

Not exactly the same thing as comparing the setlist from different cities. 

Just checked the previous non-Gorge DMB show with the first Gorge show and there were 6 repeats out of 20, including a cover (yeah, a cover) of Fool in the Rain. 

Montreal 98, 00, 03, 05, 11
    Toronto 03, 06, 11
    Ottawa 05, 11
    Quebec 05; Saratoga 00; Boston 04; Toledo 04
    Albany 06; Honolulu 06; Hartford 08
    Costa Rica 11
    London (Ont.), Hartford 13
    Quebec, Fenway 1 + 2 16; London 18
    EV Montreal (2), Berkeley II, Albany, Boston, London (UK)

• I take it you’ve never heard of phish bakers dozen.  13 shows at msg, no repeats. 
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Posts: 2,994
    I take it you’ve never heard of phish bakers dozen.  13 shows at msg, no repeats. 
    Yep been there.  Got a free donut to boot
  • Jesus Christ, just don't go to the shows. Comparing PJ to DMB is fucking laughable. If they play GTF or Elderly Woman or Corduroy at every show, I'd be happy. The entitlement of the "true fan" is unmatched—you see it in the GA line—it absolutely brings out the worst in people. Y'all need to take a serious supply of chill pills. 
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    Title should read: DMB just played three nights at the Gorge - zero repeats. 

Not exactly the same thing as comparing the setlist from different cities. 

Just checked the previous non-Gorge DMB show with the first Gorge show and there were 6 repeats out of 20, including a cover (yeah, a cover) of Fool in the Rain. 
    That's exactly what I was thinking: Those of us who get to go to multiple cities on any given tour need to appreciate a bit more that MOST of the people in the venue, that will be their only show on the tour. To expect them to not do some of the most popular songs a lot is a bit entitled.

Also agree that there's a major difference between 3 shows in a row at one venue vs. 2 or 3 shows in different cities.  Again, so many in that audience that may be their only show. It's always good to mix in the "tried & true" with the newer and deep cuts.
  • CG658530 said:
    Jesus Christ, just don't go to the shows. Comparing PJ to DMB is fucking laughable. If they play GTF or Elderly Woman or Corduroy at every show, I'd be happy. The entitlement of the "true fan" is unmatched—you see it in the GA line—it absolutely brings out the worst in people. Y'all need to take a serious supply of chill pills. 
    Like the third or fourth thread on the same topic the OP has started. Probably trolling. Just let it go. 🥱 
  • Omg knock it off. You were spoiled for 30 fucking years. Who gives a shit what Dave Matthews does? Who cares? He moved to Seattle in 2001, how many duets has he and Ed done? 
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • drfoxdrfox Posts: 1,278
    To be fair PJ played only two repeats over the two nights in London, which was great. If you are going to several shows in different cities then yes you would expect repeats of the hits.

Plus would you rather hear repeats of PJ or endure hearing non repeats of DMB
  • AlaGAlaG Posts: 976
    Could care less if DMB has 3 days of no repeats when they don’t have a single song in their catalog that’s better than the 20 most played PJ songs.

Good musicians, but their music sucks.
  • matt84matt84 Posts: 711
    Zero repeats is very cool. But on the negative side - it’s Dave Matthews Band.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,783
    matt84 said:
    Zero repeats is very cool. But on the negative side - it’s Dave Matthews Band.
    Three nights, no repeats, and it still sounded like the same song. I saw DMB recently and I give them credit for putting on a good show.  But it all sounds the same.
  • I am fine with some repeats and am of the opinion that PJ mixes it up more than most bands, while balancing that many people only get to one show.  

That being said, we could use a little:

RVM > Porch
    Anything > Even Flow/Alive/Crazy Mary/Small Tn 
    It’s OK > Any other Daughter tag

It’s always interesting to see people get excited at the shows over songs I’m kind of meh about, and vice versa.  That’s why not all cars look the same I guess. 

PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2; 2024:  Vancouver 1-2, LV 1-2, LA 1-2, Napa, Barcelona 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • The majority of the people at these shows are seeing them once on this tour. And likely haven't seen them in at least 4 years. Probably longer. They WANT to hear Corduroy, Small Town, Black, Alive, and other staples. The band wants the crowd energized and loud and singing along. And that's what those songs will do.  
  • I’ll take quality repeats vs shitty songs not repeated. Yes the dmb sets had songs I wouldn’t want to hear and would prefer a repeat 
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    Have fun at the show OP! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,305
    edited September 2022
    CG658530 said:
    Jesus Christ, just don't go to the shows. Comparing PJ to DMB is fucking laughable. If they play GTF or Elderly Woman or Corduroy at every show, I'd be happy. The entitlement of the "true fan" is unmatched—you see it in the GA line—it absolutely brings out the worst in people. Y'all need to take a serious supply of chill pills. 
    It’s just as dumb as when people say things like: well
    rhcp played only 18 songs. Or rage played 90 minutes. Works both ways. I’ve never came here and compared them to anyone but THEMSELVES. To act like these sets aren’t a drastic change and no one should bring it up is insane. 
    Post edited by nicknyr15 on
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,107
    edited September 2022
    Red Lukin said:
    Just saying PJ. Feel free to mix it up a bit in Hamilton and Toronto.

No need for Alive, black, corduroy, given to fly, porch, small town etc.

Those songs and boring and overplayed.

Let's mix it up boys!
    Pearl Jam has already done that. Actually done that, and "de facto" done it. 

Old news. 

Play more Riot Act all three nights. Both DMB and Pearl Jam.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • There was a time where Pearl Jam was praised for its marathon live shows and mixing up the set lists.  Let’s not make fun of people wanting that back.  One of the core reasons they fell in love with the band and traveling to see them. 

There is no way I would have seen the band as much as I have with the way they are doing their shows now.  Would I see 15 shows in a year like I did in 2013 now?  Nope.  
    There was a time where Pearl Jam was praised for its marathon live shows and mixing up the set lists.  Let’s not make fun of people wanting that back.  One of the core reasons they fell in love with the band and traveling to see them. 

There is no way I would have seen the band as much as I have with the way they are doing their shows now.  Would I see 15 shows in a year like I did in 2013 now?  Nope.  
    Boooo!!! Entitled!!! Be grateful! Don’t go!! Quality over quantity!! Shame!! 
  • Have fun at the show OP! 
    Most satisfying comment on this thread so far lol
  • I don't understand the quality over quantity comments. I have always considered the quality pretty good. I've been to 25 shows and always feel like I've seen them at their best each time even with the drummer substitutions in Oakland this year.

The changes to setlist variety and length started in 2021. The shows in 2018 seemed to average about 32 songs...skip to 2021 where we have 22/24. Very Ten heavy sets even with the new album.

They are clearly playing to the casual fans this tour which we just have to live with. I just wonder what the next tour will bring.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
    I don't understand the quality over quantity comments. I have always considered the quality pretty good. I've been to 25 shows and always feel like I've seen them at their best each time even with the drummer substitutions in Oakland this year.

The changes to setlist variety and length started in 2021. The shows in 2018 seemed to average about 32 songs...skip to 2021 where we have 22/24. Very Ten heavy sets even with the new album.

They are clearly playing to the casual fans this tour which we just have to live with. I just wonder what the next tour will bring.
    I’ve never understood that comment. Just a generic response honestly. I guess their definition of “quality” is strictly about the tempos. 
  • I've seen DMB twice this year and to put things in perspective, when he played new material or a "B" side the majority of the audience was quiet. He busts out a cover, sledgehammer, which I freaking hate and is my piss break song, the place goes nuts. He plays Ants Marching, the entire crowd sings and darn near cries in jubilation. 

When PJ plays the hits or the same stuff, it is for the majority of the crowd that doesn't know their entire catalog. In 2016 I went to Philly 1 with my best friend growing up, it was his first show. He had zero interest in education, in the moonlight, Chloe or crown. Even flow? After that song he high-fives me and says that was freaking awesome. Mike playing behind his head, was unreal. 

I am taking another first timer to Nashville this year. I am hoping for the staples so she can enjoy herself. If they bust out some rarity it will be nice but besides our crazy song chasing white whale hunting selves, how many of the audience will enjoy it? 

BTW, why all the hate for crazy mary?