DMB just played 3 nights - zero repeats

Comments

• nicknyr15 said:
    I don't understand the quality over quantity comments. I have always considered the quality pretty good. I've been to 25 shows and always feel like I've seen them at their best each time even with the drummer substitutions in Oakland this year.

The changes to setlist variety and length started in 2021. The shows in 2018 seemed to average about 32 songs...skip to 2021 where we have 22/24. Very Ten heavy sets even with the new album.

They are clearly playing to the casual fans this tour which we just have to live with. I just wonder what the next tour will bring.
    I’ve never understood that comment. Just a generic response honestly. I guess their definition of “quality” is strictly about the tempos. 
    Yeah and when people start suggesting that Matt just finally figured out the tempos we know the train has derailed.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,123
    It's no longer about the music if you can't appreciate Mike's Evenflow guitar solo, or his duel with Boom during Crazy Mary. Chasing rarities is fun, but at some point you start to miss the forest for the trees.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • JimmyV said:
    It's no longer about the music if you can't appreciate Mike's Evenflow guitar solo, or his duel with Boom during Crazy Mary. Chasing rarities is fun, but at some point you start to miss the forest for the trees.
    Disagree....we know Mike can shred. I would rather hear him play Insignificance, Grievance, Whipping, etc.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,305
    nicknyr15 said:
    I don't understand the quality over quantity comments. I have always considered the quality pretty good. I've been to 25 shows and always feel like I've seen them at their best each time even with the drummer substitutions in Oakland this year.

The changes to setlist variety and length started in 2021. The shows in 2018 seemed to average about 32 songs...skip to 2021 where we have 22/24. Very Ten heavy sets even with the new album.

They are clearly playing to the casual fans this tour which we just have to live with. I just wonder what the next tour will bring.
    I’ve never understood that comment. Just a generic response honestly. I guess their definition of “quality” is strictly about the tempos. 
    Yeah and when people start suggesting that Matt just finally figured out the tempos we know the train has derailed.
    I always loved when people blame him hahahah. World class drummer can play time signatures beyond anything Pj related, but he can’t keep tempo hahahah. Oh boy. 
    JimmyV said:
    Disagree....we know Mike can shred. I would rather hear him play Insignificance, Grievance, Whipping, etc.
    And I would rather hear songs other than DTE or Better Man. I still rocked out to both on Saturday night  It's not about me or you or the OP. It's about the audience as a collective whole and maintaining the energy in the room. 

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,434
    edited September 2022
    I've seen DMB twice this year and to put things in perspective, when he played new material or a "B" side the majority of the audience was quiet. He busts out a cover, sledgehammer, which I freaking hate and is my piss break song, the place goes nuts. He plays Ants Marching, the entire crowd sings and darn near cries in jubilation. 

When PJ plays the hits or the same stuff, it is for the majority of the crowd that doesn't know their entire catalog. In 2016 I went to Philly 1 with my best friend growing up, it was his first show. He had zero interest in education, in the moonlight, Chloe or crown. Even flow? After that song he high-fives me and says that was freaking awesome. Mike playing behind his head, was unreal. 

I am taking another first timer to Nashville this year. I am hoping for the staples so she can enjoy herself. If they bust out some rarity it will be nice but besides our crazy song chasing white whale hunting selves, how many of the audience will enjoy it? 

BTW, why all the hate for crazy mary? 
    Yeah I would take CM every show. Love it. I have complained that if set lists are going to be shorter it would be nice to avoid covers but that one is an exception in my opinion.

My DMB story is from about 6-7 years ago. I saw them when they came through Indy and have never been a big fan but liked some of what I hear on the radio. I was amazed at how many people are just there to say they were there. They started playing a song that I had never heard before and I thought "damn I like that"...good groove, came across really well. Probably like PJ busing out Of the Girl mid show. It blew me away that no one gave a shit. People sitting in front of us were sitting down talking to each other paying no attention whatsoever. Not everyone but enough that it surprised the shit out of me.

And Ants Marching has got to be one of the stupidest songs ever put on a record. Just horrid.

• DissidentRival74DissidentRival74 Six One Five Posts: 150
    I've seen DMB twice this year and to put things in perspective, when he played new material or a "B" side the majority of the audience was quiet. He busts out a cover, sledgehammer, which I freaking hate and is my piss break song, the place goes nuts. He plays Ants Marching, the entire crowd sings and darn near cries in jubilation. 

When PJ plays the hits or the same stuff, it is for the majority of the crowd that doesn't know their entire catalog. In 2016 I went to Philly 1 with my best friend growing up, it was his first show. He had zero interest in education, in the moonlight, Chloe or crown. Even flow? After that song he high-fives me and says that was freaking awesome. Mike playing behind his head, was unreal. 

I am taking another first timer to Nashville this year. I am hoping for the staples so she can enjoy herself. If they bust out some rarity it will be nice but besides our crazy song chasing white whale hunting selves, how many of the audience will enjoy it? 

I took my wife to her first Pearl Jam show in 2016 as well.  She isn't the biggest PJ fan, in fact, our 90s musical taste are quite different; New Kids on the Block are to her what Pearl Jam is to me. She knows all their discography, words to every song on every album, even the choreographed dance steps at their live shows, lol.  Anyway, my point is, after the Lexington show, she said that Pearl Jam was one of the best concerts she'd ever been to - she loved Eddie's interaction with the crowd, especially running halfway through Rupp arena just to hand two kids tambos, and just the way the entire band sounded. She loved the "sing along moments" as well, of course her favorites that night were Just Breathe, Alive, and Betterman, which i'm sure aren't any kind of highlight for anyone on this board, but I was happy she had such a great time. So while I may post on here my personal "Please play <insert song here>", I'd be lying if i said i honestly don't really care what they play when I'm there.  TBH, I really only care about the set lists when I'm trying to decide which boot to use my code on, LOL....
    "I'm only civil because I don't know any swear words."
  • I've seen DMB twice this year and to put things in perspective, when he played new material or a "B" side the majority of the audience was quiet. He busts out a cover, sledgehammer, which I freaking hate and is my piss break song, the place goes nuts. He plays Ants Marching, the entire crowd sings and darn near cries in jubilation. 

I took my wife to her first Pearl Jam show in 2016 as well.  She isn't the biggest PJ fan, in fact, our 90s musical taste are quite different; New Kids on the Block are to her what Pearl Jam is to me. She knows all their discography, words to every song on every album, even the choreographed dance steps at their live shows, lol.  Anyway, my point is, after the Lexington show, she said that Pearl Jam was one of the best concerts she'd ever been to - she loved Eddie's interaction with the crowd, especially running halfway through Rupp arena just to hand two kids tambos, and just the way the entire band sounded. She loved the "sing along moments" as well, of course her favorites that night were Just Breathe, Alive, and Betterman, which i'm sure aren't any kind of highlight for anyone on this board, but I was happy she had such a great time. So while I may post on here my personal "Please play <insert song here>", I'd be lying if i said i honestly don't really care what they play when I'm there.  TBH, I really only care about the set lists when I'm trying to decide which boot to use my code on, LOL....
    I was at that show. I went to grab a beer when they started playing Daughter (right after Army Reserve) and was in line when they started playing the next song. I could feel the bass but couldn't quite figure out what it was. Got my beer and headed back in and realized it was 1/2 Full....got back to my wife about halfway through the song. 

Remember the days when they played Army Reserve? Half Full? Fuck I miss that.

My wife thinks Ottawa was the best PJ show she has seen, and she was at Hartford 2013 and Fenway 2 2016. 

• DissidentRival74DissidentRival74 Six One Five Posts: 150

I was at that show. I went to grab a beer when they started playing Daughter (right after Army Reserve) and was in line when they started playing the next song. I could feel the bass but couldn't quite figure out what it was. Got my beer and headed back in and realized it was 1/2 Full....got back to my wife about halfway through the song. 

Yeah, I miss those days too.. Army Reserve was definitely a highlight for me, along with Swallowed Whole and Satan's Bed...
    "I'm only civil because I don't know any swear words."

• I was at that show. I went to grab a beer when they started playing Daughter (right after Army Reserve) and was in line when they started playing the next song. I could feel the bass but couldn't quite figure out what it was. Got my beer and headed back in and realized it was 1/2 Full....got back to my wife about halfway through the song. 

Yeah, I miss those days too.. Army Reserve was definitely a highlight for me, along with Swallowed Whole and Satan's Bed...
    that show was packed

• I've seen DMB twice this year and to put things in perspective, when he played new material or a "B" side the majority of the audience was quiet. He busts out a cover, sledgehammer, which I freaking hate and is my piss break song, the place goes nuts. He plays Ants Marching, the entire crowd sings and darn near cries in jubilation. 

Damn how do you hate sledgehammer? Such a fun cover and it brings the energy. Same with burning down the house 
    DMB is still on their summer tour and just now announced more dates for the fall. That's the trick I wish PJ would copy. 

• HaijayHaijay Posts: 374
    ComeToTX said:
    I’ve seen ween play 100 different songs over 3 nights and MMJ play 7 albums front to back over 3 nights. I wish PJ would mix it up more but the shows are still great and they’re obviously doing it for a reason. 
    And i bet all 31 people in attendance were just lovin it!!!!! 
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,249
    There was a time where Pearl Jam was praised for its marathon live shows and mixing up the set lists.  Let’s not make fun of people wanting that back.  One of the core reasons they fell in love with the band and traveling to see them. 

There is no way I would have seen the band as much as I have with the way they are doing their shows now.  Would I see 15 shows in a year like I did in 2013 now?  Nope.  
    Great post!  Part of the allure to the live PJ experience is summed up perfectly here. 
    edited September 2022
    JimmyV said:
    DMB is still on their summer tour and just now announced more dates for the fall. That's the trick I wish PJ would copy. 
    Yes please! Then it would make even more sense why pj are playing less songs. Because they have to actually pace themselves for a real tour. 
  • pearldavidsonpearldavidson PA Posts: 1,361
    I don’t mind less songs, just a little more variety here and there would be nice. 
    The shorter sets hurt for me personally because I just could never get into gigaton. If I’m “lucky” enough to catch a show where EV feels like putting 6-8 gigaton songs in the set, I’m pretty screwed. 
  • Haijay said:
    ComeToTX said:
    I’ve seen ween play 100 different songs over 3 nights and MMJ play 7 albums front to back over 3 nights. I wish PJ would mix it up more but the shows are still great and they’re obviously doing it for a reason. 
    Easy. MMJ can sell out multiple nights at Red Rocks, Forest Hills, Mann center
    Haijay said:
    ComeToTX said:
    Easy. MMJ can sell out multiple nights at Red Rocks, Forest Hills, Mann center
    Seriously. What a dumb comment 
    nicknyr15 said:
    The shorter sets hurt for me personally because I just could never get into gigaton. If I’m “lucky” enough to catch a show where EV feels like putting 6-8 gigaton songs in the set, I’m pretty screwed. 
    I just caught them in Ottawa and I thought the 3 Gigaton songs was right around the perfect number.
    nicknyr15 said:
    I just caught them in Ottawa and I thought the 3 Gigaton songs was right around the perfect number.
    Sounds perfect to me. Buckle up, alright, take the long way , river cross , 7:00 , all see like ultimate momentum killers 
    edited September 2022
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Sounds perfect to me. Buckle up, alright, take the long way , river cross , 7:00 , all see like ultimate momentum killers 
    I got Alright, which I like, DOTC which I thought was pretty cool live and 7 o Clock was so so. Towards the end of 7 o Clock I went for a beer run.  I think Buckle Up is one of their worst songs ever so I’m glad it wasn’t played haha.
    Post edited by pearldavidson on
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    I got Alright, which I like, DOTC which I thought was pretty cool live and 7 o Clock was so so. Towards the end of 7 o Clock I went for a beer run.  I think Buckle Up is one of their worst songs ever so I’m glad it wasn’t played haha.
    Haha I’m with you on that 
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,434
    edited September 2022
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Buckle Up and Let the Records Play....not sure what Stone was thinking but I like that some people like them

I'm good with Gigaton. I could do without DOTC or River Cross but I will gladly take the rest over Evenflow/Alive

I had actually predicted that It's Alright would be the new opener....boy was I wrong

nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Buckle Up and Let the Records Play....not sure what Stone was thinking but I like that some people like them

I'm good with Gigaton. I could do without DOTC or River Cross but I will gladly take the rest over Evenflow/Alive
    Lol yeah to each their own. I think Can’t Deny Me is pretty awful. 
  • nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

Lol yeah to each their own. I think Can’t Deny Me is pretty awful. 
    Can't Deny Me...Ole....hopefully not Lost Dogs 2 material

• Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,249
    Here is where I am a little bummed about the drastic change in sets. Out of 22-23 songs they are playing around 10 of these staples every show:
    Alive, Jeremy, Porch, Small Town, Daughter, Black, Betterman, Given to fly, DTE, Corduroy, Evenflow.  
    Plus 3-5 Gigaton songs. 
    Plus another 3-5 almost staples like:  
    Wishlist, Why Go, RITFW, Ledbetter, Low Light, Not For You, etc 

All of this combined only really leaves room for about 3-5 songs from so many great songs to choose from to fill out the rest of the set. When the sets were 29-33 songs they still did this but we got another 8-10 different songs spread out amongst the hits and staples. I always felt like there was at least a chance to hear some of my absolute favorites (and it happened every show) such as:  Smile, Blood, Of the Earth, Grievance, Comatose, STBC and so many others. Again, I am still pumped about Nashville and STL coming up but have lowered my expectations of what used to be such an epic and unpredictable night of PJ. 
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,783
    Here is where I am a little bummed about the drastic change in sets. Out of 22-23 songs they are playing around 10 of these staples every show:
    Alive, Jeremy, Porch, Small Town, Daughter, Black, Betterman, Given to fly, DTE, Corduroy, Evenflow.  
    Plus 3-5 Gigaton songs. 
    Plus another 3-5 almost staples like:  
    Wishlist, Why Go, RITFW, Ledbetter, Low Light, Not For You, etc 

All of this combined only really leaves room for about 3-5 songs from so many great songs to choose from to fill out the rest of the set. When the sets were 29-33 songs they still did this but we got another 8-10 different songs spread out amongst the hits and staples. I always felt like there was at least a chance to hear some of my absolute favorites (and it happened every show) such as:  Smile, Blood, Of the Earth, Grievance, Comatose, STBC and so many others. Again, I am still pumped about Nashville and STL coming up but have lowered my expectations of what used to be such an epic and unpredictable night of PJ. 

I would love to see a show without any of these on the setlist. And that does not make me entitled, it makes me old. And I think they may have retired some of the screamers like Blood, Comatose and Spin the Black Circle. I am glad I got see them in 2021 and will again in 2022.  Need one for MSG!!  :o
  • jimjam1982jimjam1982 Posts: 1,400
    edited September 2022
    PJ being a little bigger then that it's great they have like 5 staples. 
    Can't go wrong with E-flow, Bman, Alive, Courdoruy, and a GTF or DTE as probably their most popular songs. 

With these truncated sets they really need to diversify better this leg. First show was great they found variety. The 2nd show was the same old. Will see the next 3 shows how it plays out. As mentioned above they added like 5 more "staples" which appeal to neither casual fans who forgot the song existed nor the regular die hards.
    Post edited by jimjam1982 on