Honest question

Comments

• Go AnimalGo Animal Posts: 5,613
    I appreciate them using their voice & platform to fight for things that should be no-brainers (but the recent Bill Murray defense rant was pretty cringe. Love Bill's movies, but he's been known to be handsy & kind of a jerk sometimes).
    PJ - 09/23/98: West Palm Beach II, 08/12/00: Tampa, 04/12/03: Orlando, 04/13/03: Tampa, 06/12/08: Tampa, 06/27/08: Hartford, 09/22/09: Seattle II, 04/11/16: Tampa, 05/01 & 05/02/16: MSG I & II, 09/18/21: Sea Hear Now, 10/01 & 10/02/21: Ohana Encore I & II, 05/06 & 05/07/22: Los Angeles I & II, 09/11/22: MSG, 09/16/22: Nashville, 09/02/23: St. Paul II, 09/07/23: Chicago II, 09/18 & 09/19/23: Austin I & II, 05/16 & 05/18/24: Las Vegas I & II, 08/29 & 08/31/24: Wrigley Field I & II, 09/03 & 09/04/24: MSG I & II

EV - 08/04 & 08/05/08: (Eddie solo, w/Liam Finn) NYC I & II, 11/27 & 11/28/12: (Eddie solo, w/Glen Hansard) Orlando I & II, 02/09 & 02/10/22: (Eddie & the Earthlings) Chicago I & II, 09/30/23: (Eddie & the Earthlings) Ohana Festival

Song Wishlist: Oceans, Brother, Alone, Let Me Sleep, full W.M.A., Hold On, Bugs/all of Vitalogy, Gremmie Out Of Control, Mankind, Around The Bend (full band), The Long Road, Don't Gimme No Lip, Pilate, Push Me Pull Me, All Those Yesterdays, Rival, Parting Ways, Ghost, Bu$hleaguer, WWS, Parachutes, Army Reserve, low octave Driftin', Strangest Tribe, Other Side, Undone, Fatal, Hitchhiker, Education, Black Red Yellow, Of the Earth, Love Reign O'er Me, Gonna See My Friend, Amongst the Waves, Santa Cruz, Infallible, Yellow Moon, Alright, Comes Then Goes, Got to Give, and the Mamasan Trilogy.

Wanted Posters: WPB '98, Tampa/WPB '00, Tampa '03, EV Batmobile '08        ISO: any picks, or setlists from any of my shows!
  • AlaGAlaG Posts: 976
    Most of their songs are political. To say you'd rather hear them talk about the music if they need a break from playing tunes...the political "rants" are very rarely entirely disconnected from the next song on the setlist.
  • Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,820
    mcgruff10 said:
    Imho sometimes ed goes on these long tangents to give everyone in the band a much needed break.  

This is true. They'll grab a drink or a towel, whatever they need. Not that they need more than about 30 seconds to switch guitars, but it also allows that time or chat with a tech, etc.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • fsu2626 said:
    I'm glad the band expresses their beliefs. Their caring and honesty sets them apart 
    Absolutely agree. 
    rustedsigns
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
    no, I go to a show to hear music, not be lectured by a 1%'r pretending to be otherwise.  I know he has done it for an eternity, I accept it, but he has been outright mean at times to the very people who support him and his band. He speaks as if he has some moral high ground to talk down to dissenting opinions.  he can be passionate about whatever cause he wants, but leave it for another time, not at a concert I paid a lot of money to come hear you SING at. I would rather hear another song, than another anti-repub, anti-pro-life, anti-conservative, anti-American speech.

I don't mind talk about a song, a story related to the place, and old memory etc, but stop being a political activist and start being a musician is all I can think of when he starts in on whatever bug is up.  I don't care if Neil Young, Joni Mitchell, John Lennon or whatever artists in the past does it, I DO NOT PREFER IT
    edited August 2022
    hrd2imgn said:
    no, I go to a show to hear music, not be lectured by a 1%'r pretending to be otherwise.  I know he has done it for an eternity, I accept it, but he has been outright mean at times to the very people who support him and his band. He speaks as if he has some moral high ground to talk down to dissenting opinions.  he can be passionate about whatever cause he wants, but leave it for another time, not at a concert I paid a lot of money to come hear you SING at. I would rather hear another song, than another anti-repub, anti-pro-life, anti-conservative, anti-American speech.

I don't mind talk about a song, a story related to the place, and old memory etc, but stop being a political activist and start being a musician is all I can think of when he starts in on whatever bug is up.  I don't care if Neil Young, Joni Mitchell, John Lennon or whatever artists in the past does it, I DO NOT PREFER IT
    Wonder what this person thinks DTE or Grievance are about.
    Post edited by AlaG on
    Or Glorified G, or Porch, or Jeremy, or Why Go, or Daughter, or Leash, or...
    PJ - 09/23/98: West Palm Beach II, 08/12/00: Tampa, 04/12/03: Orlando, 04/13/03: Tampa, 06/12/08: Tampa, 06/27/08: Hartford, 09/22/09: Seattle II, 04/11/16: Tampa, 05/01 & 05/02/16: MSG I & II, 09/18/21: Sea Hear Now, 10/01 & 10/02/21: Ohana Encore I & II, 05/06 & 05/07/22: Los Angeles I & II, 09/11/22: MSG, 09/16/22: Nashville, 09/02/23: St. Paul II, 09/07/23: Chicago II, 09/18 & 09/19/23: Austin I & II, 05/16 & 05/18/24: Las Vegas I & II, 08/29 & 08/31/24: Wrigley Field I & II, 09/03 & 09/04/24: MSG I & II

EV - 08/04 & 08/05/08: (Eddie solo, w/Liam Finn) NYC I & II, 11/27 & 11/28/12: (Eddie solo, w/Glen Hansard) Orlando I & II, 02/09 & 02/10/22: (Eddie & the Earthlings) Chicago I & II, 09/30/23: (Eddie & the Earthlings) Ohana Festival

Song Wishlist: Oceans, Brother, Alone, Let Me Sleep, full W.M.A., Hold On, Bugs/all of Vitalogy, Gremmie Out Of Control, Mankind, Around The Bend (full band), The Long Road, Don't Gimme No Lip, Pilate, Push Me Pull Me, All Those Yesterdays, Rival, Parting Ways, Ghost, Bu$hleaguer, WWS, Parachutes, Army Reserve, low octave Driftin', Strangest Tribe, Other Side, Undone, Fatal, Hitchhiker, Education, Black Red Yellow, Of the Earth, Love Reign O'er Me, Gonna See My Friend, Amongst the Waves, Santa Cruz, Infallible, Yellow Moon, Alright, Comes Then Goes, Got to Give, and the Mamasan Trilogy.

Wanted Posters: WPB '98, Tampa/WPB '00, Tampa '03, EV Batmobile '08        ISO: any picks, or setlists from any of my shows!
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,521
    What I don't understand from the "hate politics " crowd, is so many words in the PJ discography,  is written with a very left leaning perspective. It is who they are,  and it bleeds through into their art regardless of whether Ed goes on a 5 min tear about his country possibly slipping away during a break.

Not every tune is as incredibly bold as DTE, but the influence is there so often
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,629
    The reality is everyone has grown up. The band and the fans. We’ve all changed. And like any relationship that’s grows and changes, people have different POV. But people have their happy memories and maybe there is love still there. But in this case, many fans who are or became more conservative over the past 30 years, are trying to circle the square of being a fan in 2022, where the political environment is more charged. Sometimes people make it work, sometimes it’s part of the process of letting go. 
  • tschavtschav Posts: 2,831
    Anything that keeps a show from being rehearsed and expected is appreciated, especially improvised lyrics and occasional timely observations. 

I’m more concerned about hearing reruns of stories potentially scratching Red Mosquito off the setlist.
    Personally, the band has shaped a large chunk of my political worldview in regards to doing what you can to use whatever voice you have to stand behind, speak up or lift up marginalized communities. I’ll always appreciate them speaking their mind. 
  • smile6680smile6680 Posts: 378
    Thanks for all the good responses. I'm glad to see this thread didn't devolve into personal attacks on one another. It's great to hear differing views on a subject. 
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
    edited August 2022
    The band has outright alieneated fans for political views outside and during shows.  Believe what you want, that is your right.  But once Bush 2 took office Ed made a point to attack people and make things personal.  Do it in your songs fine,  but stop telling us how to live our lives and what to believe during set breaks.   It is boring, old and IMO hypocritical in many ways.

So like this post the second anyone questuons the company line they are attacked with vitriol and a condescending attitude like you are a idiot.  I can like music and not always agree with who plays it, even what a song is about.  It is okay for me to have an opinion, and what the "Jamily" is supposed to be about is kindness and love towards one another despite whatever because the music brings us together......but it seems that is becoming less and less the case where concerts are divisive and openly attacking some of the very people there to see you perform.  I am sure those who are lock step with the views are loving every minute of it, but the supposedly mindfulness they expound has become less mindful and more hateful.

I love you all for whomever you are unless you are conservative/repub/prolife etc just doesn't do it for me it ruins the show vibe for me when it is not via the medium of music

Set up a side lecture gig be an activist there (they do and did this in the past).  I just don't like it during a in show lecture.
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    I wish that the rants moved farther left myself, but I am ok with radical centrism if that is the best they can do now that they have grown up.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 11,042
    hrd2imgn said:

Anti-American? 
    edited August 2022
    hrd2imgn said:

I mean, at least we all have that in common: we go to a PJ show to hear music. Y'know the funny thing about Ed? He actually does acknowledge how good he's got it. He's commented on how much he makes before, and to a lesser extent, how much he gives away.
    Ed has numerous charities he gives to (EB being the primary one), Jeff focuses more on his home turf with skate parks & environmental preservation. Stone has a few, but really focuses on issues in Seattle like homelessness, burgeoning artists & the coastal environment. Mike is similar, and gives away a ton of cash to charity, especially research for treatment of Ulcerative Colitis & Crohn's Disease.
    You don't hear about them getting into domestic violence situations, or multiple car pile-ups. You don't see them putting their personal lives out there for headlines. They do what they do & fight for what they believe in. They're not perfect, but they do more than most. So, yeah Ed's a 1% (more like 10 or 12%-er) on paper, but that label doesn't really stick. He drives a POS car, lol.
    There's no bowl of green M&M's in the rider.
    For years they were more subtle, but when the temperature rises (lit & fig) in this country, they respond (Ed primarily) with frustration & anger. I would too. When a woman's right to choose is in danger of being taken away, and you're a guy with 2 daughters, are you really surprised that he would vocalize how he felt about it? Especially when he has the platform that he does?
    I hate to say it, but when you give as much as they have, they kinda DO have a bit of moral high ground. Just a bit. Not a full pedestal from upon high. There's a difference between "dissenting opinions" and accidentally/purposefully supporting outright injustice. The right for a woman to choose. The right for 2 people who love eachother to marry & have the same benefits as anyone. The right for someone to assume the gender identity that feels most natural to them, and still be a brilliant scientist, doctor, or artist. The right for people of color to not be profiled, and have the same opportunities & rights as we all do.
    The right to feel safe going to a concert, movie theater, grocery store, church, or ANYWHERE, without worrying if you & your loved ones are going to get mowed down in a hail of bullets because someone had a bad day & snapped.
    Sad to say, the majority of modern Republicans fall under one simple credo: survival of the fittest, richest & Whitest. Any argument they make about their version of freedom & liberty, usually falls back to that. There are no Teddy Roosevelts (also an imperfect man, who fought for the environment). No Eisenhowers (also imperfect, but warned the world of the burgeoning Military Industrial Complex). There are no John McCains (a man of honor, aside from selling out by having mental giant Sarah Palin as his running mate).
    Even Liz Cheney, who is doing the right thing by making those involved with the January 6th Insurrection are held accountable, she is still very pro-gun & anti-choice. No one is perfect.
    Don't get me wrong, there are a few Republican citizens who prove to be outliers. One's who practice what they preach: smaller government (yet, abiding by laws, regulation & standards), who believe in the right to bear arms (by having a single pistol or 2 locked up in a quality safe at all times), who believe in personal liberty (and don't plan to outlaw gay marriage, or the freedom of choice for a woman), and personal faith (as long as they're not proselytizing it upon others).
    I can't think of one that holds office, but they are out there. Just normal folk. And they don't care what a 10%-er rock star says on stage because they know whatever harsh words he has, doesn't apply to them. They're just trying to live their lives.
    So, if anything Ed says on stage REALLY bothers you, and makes you feel like you're being talked down to, that sounds more like a "you" problem. Might want to take some time to make peace with it & figure out how to live your life, while going to shows & not worrying about the things that Fox News, Newsmax, The Blaze, The Daily Wire/Caller, InfoWars, RT, or whatever dark corner of the internet is trying to sway you, telling you to worry about.
    Go listen to Hard to Imagine, or Oceans, or Release. Find some empathy, and maybe even a little perspective. You'll have a better time at your next show.
    Guaranteed.
    Post edited by Go Animal on

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain Posts: 31,101
    edited August 2022
    More like 10 or 12%-er?
    For sure a 1%er.
    (Not a bad thing, just pointing that out.)
    Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    More like 10 or 12%-er?
    For sure a 1%er.
    No, I get it. We're just talking semantics at this point. Hard to keep track of who's a billionaire & who's not nowadays :P Also, I didn't want to say 5%-er because that's a WHOLE other thing, lol.

• Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,521
    The reality is everyone has grown up. The band and the fans. We’ve all changed. And like any relationship that’s grows and changes, people have different POV. But people have their happy memories and maybe there is love still there. But in this case, many fans who are or became more conservative over the past 30 years, are trying to circle the square of being a fan in 2022, where the political environment is more charged. Sometimes people make it work, sometimes it’s part of the process of letting go. 

When even flow hit the radio back in the fall of 1991, I was impressed that this brand new talented rocker had something pivotal to say about such a debilitating problem.  I don't recall hearing or seeing anything in the 31 years since that causes me to think about this individual or his mates in any different light

To me, screaming about solving problems such as homelessness is NOT politics.  Its caring and being dedicated to fight to improve this place.

Anyone seeing pearl jam differently is perplexing, considering their music and who they've always been.
    edited August 2022
    Go Animal said:
    More like 10 or 12%-er?
    For sure a 1%er.
    No, I get it. We're just talking semantics at this point. Hard to keep track of who's a billionaire & who's not nowadays :P Also, I didn't want to say 5%-er because that's a WHOLE other thing, lol.
    Eddie could have been nearly a billionaire if he wanted to. Just looking at how much money the band rakes in... Clearly he has spent the last 30 years investing his money and time in causes he cares about and not in himself. Not to mention all of those sites that track people's net worth and shit are historically woefully inaccurate. They only account for net income generally. Personal expenses, overhead, taxes, charitable donations are anyone's guess. He probably has wayy less than $100 million dollars or whatever. Most celebrities don't make as much as people think they do.
  • PJALKPJALK Posts: 83

When even flow hit the radio back in the fall of 1991, I was impressed that this brand new talented rocker had something pivotal to say about such a debilitating problem.  I don't recall hearing or seeing anything in the 31 years since that causes me to think about this individual or his mates in any different light

To me, screaming about solving problems such as homelessness is NOT politics.  Its caring and being dedicated to fight to improve this place.

Anyone seeing pearl jam differently is perplexing, considering their music and who they've always been.

I don’t think this discussion is that they include politics in their music.  That is the art.  That is who pearl jam is.  Speak through the music is fine.  Mentioning trump and bush directly in lyrics is weak though.  

I think the discussion here in the original post is political rants by ed which for this aging fan base which a lot of us have political left and right leanings might be getting lame and not really inclusive and it just kills the mood for what is supposed be a celebration for the great music pearl jam have created.  

• bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,949
    You can have a rock concert with a politically charged message and not have to talk on stage to get the point across.  RATM is doing it right now.  Zero talk on stage.  That is not Pearl Jam or Ed.  He's going to talk, so you can take it or leave it.  I like the energy of a concert without all the conversation, but we know what we're getting when we walk into a PJ show.  Long talks can suck some of the energy out of the show for me personally.  I'll still be there to enjoy the music.
    edited August 2022
    bbiggs said:
    You can have a rock concert with a politically charged message and not have to talk on stage to get the point across.  RATM is doing it right now.  Zero talk on stage.  That is not Pearl Jam or Ed.  He's going to talk, so you can take it or leave it.  I like the energy of a concert without all the conversation, but we know what we're getting when we walk into a PJ show.  Long talks can suck some of the energy out of the show for me personally.  I'll still be there to enjoy the music.
    You're not wrong overall! On the first part, another poster made a good point that sometimes Ed is helping one of the guys tune up, or take a breather. On the second part, I can see how a long rant could do that for some folks. But I also see some folks cheer, and I take that as a sign of staying good & angry (and vigilant).

At the end of the day, we all want good, memorable shows.
    Post edited by Go Animal on

• 3days3days Posts: 1,158
    I feel like we live in a misinformation age, where untruths, or selective honesty, have become reality for a lot of people. So, typically, I think it's good for someone to speak up, while they've got a platform, about something that they are passionate about. It usually strikes me as credible and earnest. I guess that's the long way of saying I don't mind.
    Well, if we’re talking about that, I think if you have a platform, you should use it. Even if it upsets people. You aren’t gonna change hearts or minds by not saying anything. 
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Posts: 7,756
    People have already summed up my thoughts on here so I’ll just point out that everything Ed says seems to be backed up by the band. Ed has the mic but he’s speaking for the other guys as well. 
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,868
    hrd2imgn said:
    The band has outright alieneated fans for political views outside and during shows.  Believe what you want, that is your right.  But once Bush 2 took office Ed made a point to attack people and make things personal.  Do it in your songs fine,  but stop telling us how to live our lives and what to believe during set breaks.   It is boring, old and IMO hypocritical in many ways.

So like this post the second anyone questuons the company line they are attacked with vitriol and a condescending attitude like you are a idiot.  I can like music and not always agree with who plays it, even what a song is about.  It is okay for me to have an opinion, and what the "Jamily" is supposed to be about is kindness and love towards one another despite whatever because the music brings us together......but it seems that is becoming less and less the case where concerts are divisive and openly attacking some of the very people there to see you perform.  I am sure those who are lock step with the views are loving every minute of it, but the supposedly mindfulness they expound has become less mindful and more hateful.

I love you all for whomever you are unless you are conservative/repub/prolife etc just doesn't do it for me it ruins the show vibe for me when it is not via the medium of music

Set up a side lecture gig be an activist there (they do and did this in the past).  I just don't like it during a in show lecture.
    Your couple of posts here are just about as condescending or on the attack as Eddie Vedder's on stage banter (which isn't much BTW). 

I'd say my views are centric, and the older I get, the less concerned I am with someone taking a few minutes to speak their mind and then carrying on, just as you did.

If it's ruining your experience,  then ya might be taking things a little too personally. If you really don't give a damn of what someone has to say, then it shouldn't affect you either positively or negatively.

350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • smile6680smile6680 Posts: 378
    Remember all viewpoints are welcome. We really don't need any back and forth on people's opinions. Things tend to get out of hand when that happens, which leads to threads being locked. Some thoughtful posts on both sides.
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,798
    Not bothered by any of it. Life is too fucking short to be zeroing in on what you don’t like. 
    I LOVE this, I will try to adopt it as my new outlook. 

I can see how it can be off putting to some when he gets political; but it is Ed after all; nothing new.  I would actually prefer him to tell funny stories, if you've ever seen him solo; he is hilarious with his stories.  But I guess he keeps those for his solo shows.  

And let's face it, there are some issues that are too important to ignore.  They are people too and they have a platform to discuss the issues; you don't want to hear it; stay home.  Anyone who knows PJ, it is expected, so if it bothers someone so much, then stay home.