Honest question

Comments

• It’s interesting to note that because Ed talks about the politics of the day during shows this somehow gets classed as a “rant”!? 
    The last 2 times I’ve seen him talk about his, & his families experiences, he was pretty calm & controlled. 
    Personally, I much prefer this kind of thoughtful engagement than the yawn fest that is bands shouting “Hey (name of city), what’s up?” 😴

I wonder if it’s also worth considering that perhaps having the opportunity to speak to thousands of, generally, like minded folks helps Ed get this stuff off his chest. 
    As much as we envy his financial comfort, maybe it is isolating when trying to find similarly empathetic characters amongst the whatever number %ers. 
    Wembley Arena, London - 28/10/96
    Wembley Arena, London - 30/05/00 
    Wembley Arena, London - 18/06/07
    02 Arena, London - 18/08/09
    Hammersmith Apollo, London - 30/07/12 EV Solo
    Bowl, Milton Keynes - 11/07/2014
    Hammersmith Apollo, London - 06/06/17 EV Solo
    O2 Arena, London - 18/06/18
    O2 Arena, London - 17/07/18

It's an art to live with pain, mix the light into grey...
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
    edited August 2022
    I want to thank everyone for a civil discussion, it happens far too little here.  

it is OKAY we all don't agree, and I do not think anyone disagreeing needs to be put down, mocked, insulted, belittled, etc.

I fail to see how me pointing out things ED has done, on multiple occasions, where I have been in the audience and heard him say at times, is me being condescending, but hey that's your opinion, and it is okay we don't see eye to eye.

Donating to causes does not give one a moral right/authority to talk down to anyone else. Bless him and his wife for all they do for charity and the myriad of causes they have partaken in and the thousands that have been helped by those places.  

I look forward to sharing the air with some of you in St.Louis, hopefully lecture free

Post edited by hrd2imgn on
  • Foriginal SinForiginal Sin Posts: 1,770
    Not at all. It’s 2022, this has been a staple at every PJ show since before some of you were even born. If it started yesterday that would be different 
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • AlaGAlaG Posts: 976
    edited August 2022
    Ed has hardly discussed anything that ought to fall under the realm of partisan politics on stage for years. He largely talks about human rights issues. The issue, as I see it, is with the state of partisanship itself at this point in America.

The Republican Party is just a cult of personality at this point, centered around a man that does not even espouse traditionally conservative, small government values, has called white nationalists “my people”, who is anti-science, and who has perhaps undermined the integrity of US elections for all time.

It’s a culture that’s built around disrespect for other people, their beliefs, and their autonomy.

Might need to listen to more Ed “rants”. The man is literally just saying that we all need to love one another and the planet lol.
    Post edited by AlaG on
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 11,042
    edited August 2022
    AlaG said:
    Ed has hardly discussed anything that ought to fall under the realm of partisan politics on stage for years. He largely talks about human rights issues. The issue, as I see it, is with the state of partisanship itself at this point in America.

The Republican Party is just a cult of personality at this point, centered around a man that does not even espouse traditionally conservative, small government values, has called white nationalists “my people”, who is anti-science, and who has perhaps undermined the integrity of US elections for all time.

It’s a culture that’s built around disrespect for other people, their beliefs, and their autonomy.

Might need to listen to more Ed “rants”. The man is literally just saying that we all need to love one another and the planet lol.
    Agreed… I was genuinely curious about the comment that used the words ‘hateful’ & ‘anti-American’ to describe some of Ed’s rants. Ed’s words typically come from a good place. 
  • petted101petted101 Posts: 190
    Hobbes said:
    I impatiently wait for Ed to end his rant and play "Evenflow" so that I can go to the bathroom.
    I agree, best toilet break song they have. 
  • Go Animal said:

I mean, at least we all have that in common: we go to a PJ show to hear music. Y'know the funny thing about Ed? He actually does acknowledge how good he's got it. He's commented on how much he makes before, and to a lesser extent, how much he gives away.
    Ed has numerous charities he gives to (EB being the primary one), Jeff focuses more on his home turf with skate parks & environmental preservation. Stone has a few, but really focuses on issues in Seattle like homelessness, burgeoning artists & the coastal environment. Mike is similar, and gives away a ton of cash to charity, especially research for treatment of Ulcerative Colitis & Crohn's Disease.
    You don't hear about them getting into domestic violence situations, or multiple car pile-ups. You don't see them putting their personal lives out there for headlines. They do what they do & fight for what they believe in. They're not perfect, but they do more than most. So, yeah Ed's a 1% (more like 10 or 12%-er) on paper, but that label doesn't really stick. He drives a POS car, lol.
    There's no bowl of green M&M's in the rider.
    For years they were more subtle, but when the temperature rises (lit & fig) in this country, they respond (Ed primarily) with frustration & anger. I would too. When a woman's right to choose is in danger of being taken away, and you're a guy with 2 daughters, are you really surprised that he would vocalize how he felt about it? Especially when he has the platform that he does?
    I hate to say it, but when you give as much as they have, they kinda DO have a bit of moral high ground. Just a bit. Not a full pedestal from upon high. There's a difference between "dissenting opinions" and accidentally/purposefully supporting outright injustice. The right for a woman to choose. The right for 2 people who love eachother to marry & have the same benefits as anyone. The right for someone to assume the gender identity that feels most natural to them, and still be a brilliant scientist, doctor, or artist. The right for people of color to not be profiled, and have the same opportunities & rights as we all do.
    The right to feel safe going to a concert, movie theater, grocery store, church, or ANYWHERE, without worrying if you & your loved ones are going to get mowed down in a hail of bullets because someone had a bad day & snapped.
    Sad to say, the majority of modern Republicans fall under one simple credo: survival of the fittest, richest & Whitest. Any argument they make about their version of freedom & liberty, usually falls back to that. There are no Teddy Roosevelts (also an imperfect man, who fought for the environment). No Eisenhowers (also imperfect, but warned the world of the burgeoning Military Industrial Complex). There are no John McCains (a man of honor, aside from selling out by having mental giant Sarah Palin as his running mate).
    Even Liz Cheney, who is doing the right thing by making those involved with the January 6th Insurrection are held accountable, she is still very pro-gun & anti-choice. No one is perfect.
    Don't get me wrong, there are a few Republican citizens who prove to be outliers. One's who practice what they preach: smaller government (yet, abiding by laws, regulation & standards), who believe in the right to bear arms (by having a single pistol or 2 locked up in a quality safe at all times), who believe in personal liberty (and don't plan to outlaw gay marriage, or the freedom of choice for a woman), and personal faith (as long as they're not proselytizing it upon others).
    I can't think of one that holds office, but they are out there. Just normal folk. And they don't care what a 10%-er rock star says on stage because they know whatever harsh words he has, doesn't apply to them. They're just trying to live their lives.
    So, if anything Ed says on stage REALLY bothers you, and makes you feel like you're being talked down to, that sounds more like a "you" problem. Might want to take some time to make peace with it & figure out how to live your life, while going to shows & not worrying about the things that Fox News, Newsmax, The Blaze, The Daily Wire/Caller, InfoWars, RT, or whatever dark corner of the internet is trying to sway you, telling you to worry about.
    Go listen to Hard to Imagine, or Oceans, or Release. Find some empathy, and maybe even a little perspective. You'll have a better time at your next show.
    Guaranteed.
    👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
  • TinaETinaE Posts: 1,484
    Go Animal said:
    hrd2imgn said:
    no, I go to a show to hear music, not be lectured by a 1%'r pretending to be otherwise.  I know he has done it for an eternity, I accept it, but he has been outright mean at times to the very people who support him and his band. He speaks as if he has some moral high ground to talk down to dissenting opinions.  he can be passionate about whatever cause he wants, but leave it for another time, not at a concert I paid a lot of money to come hear you SING at. I would rather hear another song, than another anti-repub, anti-pro-life, anti-conservative, anti-American speech.

I don't mind talk about a song, a story related to the place, and old memory etc, but stop being a political activist and start being a musician is all I can think of when he starts in on whatever bug is up.  I don't care if Neil Young, Joni Mitchell, John Lennon or whatever artists in the past does it, I DO NOT PREFER IT
    I mean, at least we all have that in common: we go to a PJ show to hear music. Y'know the funny thing about Ed? He actually does acknowledge how good he's got it. He's commented on how much he makes before, and to a lesser extent, how much he gives away.
    Ed has numerous charities he gives to (EB being the primary one), Jeff focuses more on his home turf with skate parks & environmental preservation. Stone has a few, but really focuses on issues in Seattle like homelessness, burgeoning artists & the coastal environment. Mike is similar, and gives away a ton of cash to charity, especially research for treatment of Ulcerative Colitis & Crohn's Disease.
    You don't hear about them getting into domestic violence situations, or multiple car pile-ups. You don't see them putting their personal lives out there for headlines. They do what they do & fight for what they believe in. They're not perfect, but they do more than most. So, yeah Ed's a 1% (more like 10 or 12%-er) on paper, but that label doesn't really stick. He drives a POS car, lol.
    There's no bowl of green M&M's in the rider.
    For years they were more subtle, but when the temperature rises (lit & fig) in this country, they respond (Ed primarily) with frustration & anger. I would too. When a woman's right to choose is in danger of being taken away, and you're a guy with 2 daughters, are you really surprised that he would vocalize how he felt about it? Especially when he has the platform that he does?
    I hate to say it, but when you give as much as they have, they kinda DO have a bit of moral high ground. Just a bit. Not a full pedestal from upon high. There's a difference between "dissenting opinions" and accidentally/purposefully supporting outright injustice. The right for a woman to choose. The right for 2 people who love eachother to marry & have the same benefits as anyone. The right for someone to assume the gender identity that feels most natural to them, and still be a brilliant scientist, doctor, or artist. The right for people of color to not be profiled, and have the same opportunities & rights as we all do.
    The right to feel safe going to a concert, movie theater, grocery store, church, or ANYWHERE, without worrying if you & your loved ones are going to get mowed down in a hail of bullets because someone had a bad day & snapped.
    Sad to say, the majority of modern Republicans fall under one simple credo: survival of the fittest, richest & Whitest. Any argument they make about their version of freedom & liberty, usually falls back to that. There are no Teddy Roosevelts (also an imperfect man, who fought for the environment). No Eisenhowers (also imperfect, but warned the world of the burgeoning Military Industrial Complex). There are no John McCains (a man of honor, aside from selling out by having mental giant Sarah Palin as his running mate).
    Even Liz Cheney, who is doing the right thing by making those involved with the January 6th Insurrection are held accountable, she is still very pro-gun & anti-choice. No one is perfect.
    Don't get me wrong, there are a few Republican citizens who prove to be outliers. One's who practice what they preach: smaller government (yet, abiding by laws, regulation & standards), who believe in the right to bear arms (by having a single pistol or 2 locked up in a quality safe at all times), who believe in personal liberty (and don't plan to outlaw gay marriage, or the freedom of choice for a woman), and personal faith (as long as they're not proselytizing it upon others).
    I can't think of one that holds office, but they are out there. Just normal folk. And they don't care what a 10%-er rock star says on stage because they know whatever harsh words he has, doesn't apply to them. They're just trying to live their lives.
    So, if anything Ed says on stage REALLY bothers you, and makes you feel like you're being talked down to, that sounds more like a "you" problem. Might want to take some time to make peace with it & figure out how to live your life, while going to shows & not worrying about the things that Fox News, Newsmax, The Blaze, The Daily Wire/Caller, InfoWars, RT, or whatever dark corner of the internet is trying to sway you, telling you to worry about.
    Go listen to Hard to Imagine, or Oceans, or Release. Find some empathy, and maybe even a little perspective. You'll have a better time at your next show.
    Guaranteed.
    @Go Animal: I totally agree with you! Ed has a platform to express himself and I think he should use it.
    Berlin 07/05/2018; Berlin 06/21/2022; Frankfurt 06/28/2022
    Eddie Vedder Düsseldorf 06/30/2019
    "The future ain't what it used to be..."
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,525
    I find it odd that anyone in the crowd would feel "attacked" by anything Ed has ever said on stage. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• I find it odd that anyone in the crowd would feel "attacked" by anything Ed has ever said on stage. 
    People feel attacked if someone refers to their dog as a dog rather than a “gender neutral mammal that walks on four legs and has no choice about it” You know the drill.
    I find it odd that anyone in the crowd would feel "attacked" by anything Ed has ever said on stage. 
    People feel attacked if someone refers to their dog as a dog rather than a “gender neutral mammal that walks on four legs and has no choice about it” You know the drill.
    Bah! Rational non-binary and trans folks wouldn’t even give a shit if you misgendered their dog. Whether someone chooses to anthropomorphize their pet to such an extent falls so far out of the realm of social politics that this joke isn’t even relevant or funny in this context. Get better material.
  • AlaG said:
    Bah! Rational non-binary and trans folks wouldn’t even give a shit if you misgendered their dog. Whether someone chooses to anthropomorphize their pet to such an extent falls so far out of the realm of social politics that this joke isn’t even relevant or funny in this context. Get better material.
    How silly of me to make a huge stretch analogy like I did. I should have kept it more rational, like the “furry” identifiers. 
    AlaG said:
    How silly of me to make a huge stretch analogy like I did. I should have kept it more rational, like the “furry” identifiers. 
    Nobody is hurt by what you're saying. You're just not funny :|
  • smile6680smile6680 Posts: 378
    Remember the question is do you like his rants during live concerts. Not do you think he has the right or whether you agree with him or not. 
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Posts: 7,756
    edited August 2022
    NM
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,629
    smile6680 said:
    Remember the question is do you like his rants during live concerts. Not do you think he has the right or whether you agree with him or not. 
    Yeah. It’s generally fine. It’s what, 90 seconds to 2 minutes of your concert time? It’s really nbd. You can check your phone when he’s talking. 
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,948
    hrd2imgn said:
    no, I go to a show to hear music, not be lectured by a 1%'r pretending to be otherwise.  I know he has done it for an eternity, I accept it, but he has been outright mean at times to the very people who support him and his band. He speaks as if he has some moral high ground to talk down to dissenting opinions.  he can be passionate about whatever cause he wants, but leave it for another time, not at a concert I paid a lot of money to come hear you SING at. I would rather hear another song, than another anti-repub, anti-pro-life, anti-conservative, anti-American speech.

I don't mind talk about a song, a story related to the place, and old memory etc, but stop being a political activist and start being a musician is all I can think of when he starts in on whatever bug is up.  I don't care if Neil Young, Joni Mitchell, John Lennon or whatever artists in the past does it, I DO NOT PREFER IT
    If I was always wrong I guess I’d often feel talked down to
    hrd2imgn said:
    I want to thank everyone for a civil discussion, it happens far too little here.  

it is OKAY we all don't agree, and I do not think anyone disagreeing needs to be put down, mocked, insulted, belittled, etc.

I fail to see how me pointing out things ED has done, on multiple occasions, where I have been in the audience and heard him say at times, is me being condescending, but hey that's your opinion, and it is okay we don't see eye to eye.

Donating to causes does not give one a moral right/authority to talk down to anyone else. Bless him and his wife for all they do for charity and the myriad of causes they have partaken in and the thousands that have been helped by those places.  

I look forward to sharing the air with some of you in St.Louis, hopefully lecture free

Good post. I especially agree with the "we don't all agree, and I do not think anyone disagreeing needs to be put down, mocked, insulted, belittled, etc".
  • GTFLYGIRLGTFLYGIRL Posts: 760
    Doesnt bother me.. at all. Actually, i can say, that i rather enjoy it!!
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    edited August 2022
    Personally, yes, I like it A LOT. The energy and the passion is powerful, and for me it reminds me that this band doesn't only make music (recorded and live) that feeds my soul and helps with my sanity, they also have specific real-life, current examples of how their music holds a mirror up to the current world.

I understand that not everyone in the audience shares the political views, and even some who do don't really want to hear political commentary.

But you know what? That has ALWAYS BEEN who this band is.  They have ALWAYS been brave and outspoken, and more importantly they've realized from early on that they have a platform and that they can and should use it to boost the messaging that they feel is important. And it has a measurable impact! There are so many who are turned on to issues they may not have thought about before, or learn about opportunities to act they didn't know about.  It's important and it works.

So even though some may not like it, it's who they've always been so I never understand people who complain as if they shouldn't do it.  By now if you're a PJ fan, you know it's likely to happen at some point during a show, so being shocked or offended is bizarre and unrealistic.  

Post edited by JH6056 on
  • Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,590
    I enjoy his comments. I think people forget that every singer sort of takes a few minutes each show to address the crowd at various times, and give the bandmates a quick break.  As for content, I usually enjoy what he has to say.  
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • JH6056 said:
    Personally, yes, I like it A LOT. The energy and the passion is powerful, and for me it reminds me that this band doesn't only make music (recorded and live) that feeds my soul and helps with my sanity, they also have specific real-life, current examples of how their music holds a mirror up to the current world.

I understand that not everyone in the audience shares the political views, and even some who do don't really want to hear political commentary.

But you know what? That has ALWAYS BEEN who this band is.  They have ALWAYS been brave and outspoken, and more importantly they've realized from early on that they have a platform and that they can and should use it to boost the messaging that they feel is important. And it has a measurable impact! There are so many who are turned into issues they may not have thought about, or learn about opportunities to act they didn't know about.  It's important and it works.

So even though some may not like it, it's who they've always been so I never understand people who complain as if they shouldn't do it.  By now if your'e a PJ fan, you know it's likely to happen at some point during a show, so being shocked or offended is bizarre and unrealistic.  

Couldn’t agree more👍
    rustedsigns
  • GTFLYGIRL said:
    Doesnt bother me.. at all. Actually, i can say, that i rather enjoy it!!
    I do too. It’s also the reason I love them more! 
    rustedsigns
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,346
    I'm an independent but I am generally sympathetic to his/the band's political point of view on the key issues he tends to talk about (guns, environment, abortion) and have likely voted for the same candidates they tend to support (Biden and Obama but not Nader or Sanders). 

I also think that it would make no sense for an artist whose art expresses political points of view to be expected to remain silent about political matters, and anyone who expects silence after a 30-year track record of speaking out is being unrealistic and ought to realize that it comes with the territory.

I also have noticed that, with very few exceptions, when people complain about musicians expressing political opinions, the issue is generally that the musicians express opinions that they disagree with, not that they express opinions per se.  This kind of hypocrisy is aggravating.

Having said that, I don't think Ed is necessarily the best spokesperson all of the time and that can make the mid-show speeches somewhat grating.  The speeches can be rambling, vulgar and needlessly divisive.  I do think he did a much better job on the recent U.S. tour when he decided to address issues.  I think his speeches were more concise, pointed, appropriately emotional and less divisive than they have sometimes been in the past.

My biggest concern with political speech by celebrities is that it is often counterproductive (i.e., it preaches and virtue-signals to the choir without converting anyone, while alienating less engaged people who might be persuadable).  It's also red meat in a culture war that certain people in this country are eager to exploit, inflame and profit from.  I'd rather not feed the trolls.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
    JH6056 said:

But you know what? That has ALWAYS BEEN who this band is.  They have ALWAYS been brave and outspoken, and more importantly they've realized from early on that they have a platform and that they can and should use it to boost the messaging that they feel is important. And it has a measurable impact! There are so many who are turned into issues they may not have thought about, or learn about opportunities to act they didn't know about.  It's important and it works.

So even though some may not like it, it's who they've always been so I never understand people who complain as if they shouldn't do it.  By now if your'e a PJ fan, you know it's likely to happen at some point during a show, so being shocked or offended is bizarre and unrealistic.  

Good post. I can see that.
    BF25394 said:
    I'm an independent but I am generally sympathetic to his/the band's political point of view on the key issues he tends to talk about (guns, environment, abortion) and have likely voted for the same candidates they tend to support (Biden and Obama but not Nader or Sanders). 

I also think that it would make no sense for an artist whose art expresses political points of view to be expected to remain silent about political matters, and anyone who expects silence after a 30-year track record of speaking out is being unrealistic and ought to realize that it comes with the territory.

I also have noticed that, with very few exceptions, when people complain about musicians expressing political opinions, the issue is generally that the musicians express opinions that they disagree with, not that they express opinions per se.  This kind of hypocrisy is aggravating.

Having said that, I don't think Ed is necessarily the best spokesperson all of the time and that can make the mid-show speeches somewhat grating.  The speeches can be rambling, vulgar and needlessly divisive.  I do think he did a much better job on the recent U.S. tour when he decided to address issues.  I think his speeches were more concise, pointed, appropriately emotional and less divisive than they have sometimes been in the past.

My biggest concern with political speech by celebrities is that it is often counterproductive (i.e., it preaches and virtue-signals to the choir without converting anyone, while alienating less engaged people who might be persuadable).  It's also red meat in a culture war that certain people in this country are eager to exploit, inflame and profit from.  I'd rather not feed the trolls.
    Another excellent post. 
    All pets should be gender-neutral because everyone should spay or neuter their pets!
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,525
    BF25394 said:
    All pets should be gender-neutral because everyone should spay or neuter their pets!
    Mr. Barker?
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

BF25394 said:
    Mr. Barker?
    I never put two and together that pet-loving Bob's name was "Barker" until I read your reply.  I'm more of a Meower myself.
  • smile6680 said:
    BF25394 said:

Another excellent post. 
    Yep. 
    rustedsigns