Honest question

Do you like it when Ed goes on political rants even if you agree with his position during concerts you attend? I asked this question in another thread before it got locked (rightfully so) and the responses were pretty good.

Please follow rules, be respectful and stay on topic.

Comments

• ed, or halifaxtothemax?
  • I like it when people have snarky comments about other board members even more than I like my concerts turned into infomercials. 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,813
    edited August 2022
    I don't like or dislike the rants, and they end up being a moment in time I quickly forget after the show has finished, as I am usually thinking more about the setlist/show I just saw.  They are free to have whatever beliefs they have and go on whatever political rants they like during their shows.  

Pearl Jam is a band that makes music I enjoy and plays shows that I enjoy even more.  That's about as deep as it gets for me.  Keeping it at that has led to a very enjoyable journey while following this band for about 14 years now.
    Post edited by Weston1283 on
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
    2024: Las Vegas I / Las Vegas II / New York City I / New York City II / Philly I / Philly II / Baltimore
  • smile6680smile6680 Posts: 378
    ed, or halifaxtothemax?
    I don't know what this means? Hopefully not an insult directed towards another person
  • They bother me pretty much not at all now.  In the 90s I didn't want to hear it but my mind evolved and I also welcome the break in jumping around, generally.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Posts: 7,756
    Doesn’t bother me at all. 
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
    They bother me pretty much not at all now.  In the 90s I didn't want to hear it but my mind evolved and I also welcome the break in jumping around, generally.

I can see that. Gives a little time to talk to the person you're attending the concert with or what not.
  • JojoRiceJojoRice Posts: 4,205
    I don't mind it but I'd rather hear more music instead of a 5 or 6 minute rant.  Especially with these shorter setlists!
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • droptheleash9droptheleash9 Posts: 1,430
    If I'm being honest, I don't even notice it anymore, but perhaps that is because I'm generally aligned with Ed's politics. Hearing some political banter comes with the territory if you have been following the band as closely as a lot of us have. That said, it's much more noticeable to friends of mine that are more causal fans (those who see them when they come to down but don't travel) that I am. 
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,698
    JojoRice said:
    I don't mind it but I'd rather hear more music instead of a 5 or 6 minute rant.  Especially with these shorter setlists!
    I tend to agree with this. Ed talking about guns in London one night seemed to go on for a while, but with the scary situation that his wife and daughter had recently went through, I can understand him feeling even more passionate about it and wanting to articulate and process the frustration of how he was feeling. 
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 11,042
    edited August 2022
    When I'm at a show, I'm of the mindset: "less talk, more rock" - I'm there to hear the music, not their opinions. 

With that being said, it's his stage & his platform. He can say & do what he wants. If I don't like it, I don't have to be there, and there are plenty of other bands I can go see. 

This band has always been outspoken about their politics... IMO it seems like a pretty silly thing to complain about in 2022. (not that OP is necessarily complaining, I understand they're just having the conversation) 
  • PJALKPJALK Posts: 83
    I would prefer he would speak through the music.  

That’s why I love and see pearl jam live dozens and dozens of time.  I want to hear the great music they have created in the last 30 years. It should be a celebration.  
    When he goes on a rant I see it as time lost from getting another song in. 
    I agree with some and disagree with other things he says.  But that’s normal.  I have liberal and conservative sides on issues.  Ed takes all liberal side of issues so it is what it is. 
    I just rather hear the music.  🤘

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,391
    Imho sometimes ed goes on these long tangents to give everyone in the band a much needed break.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • As long as it doesn't turn Dad-jokey.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • ry75guyry75guy Posts: 216
    mcgruff10 said:
    Imho sometimes ed goes on these long tangents to give everyone in the band a much needed break.  
    I agree. I don't think we miss out on any extra music. Ed and the band catch their breath and instead of silence, he uses their platform to talk about things that are important to them. I'm cool with it. But admittedly, I like when artists talk a little during a show. Jeff Tweedy is awesome to listen to during Wilco shows. And if you hate talking, never see Buddy Guy. 40% of the show is him chatting (which I love as well).
    Tinley Park, IL 08-02-1992
    Chicago, IL 07-19-2013
    Moline, IL 10-17-2014
    Chicago, IL 08-20-2016
    Chicago, IL 08-22-2016
    Chicago, IL 08-18-2018
    Chicago, IL 08-20-2018
    St. Louis, MO 09-18-2022
    edited August 2022
    When I'm at a show, I'm of the mindset: "less talk, more rock" - I'm there to hear the music, not their opinions. 

With that being said, it's his stage & his platform. He can say & do what he wants. If I don't like it, I don't have to be there, and there are plenty of other bands I can go see. 

This band has always been outspoken about their politics... IMO it seems like a pretty silly thing to complain about in 2022. (not that OP is necessarily complaining, I understand they're just having the conversation) 

Good post.

What Ed says doesn't really bother me whether I agree or not. It does seem to occasionally change the mood of the crowd around me. Everything seems to go back to normal once the music resumes though.

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,405

I agree with this for the most part. It doesn't really bother me at all, to be honest.

mcgruff10 said:
    I agree with this as well.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • PJINFLAPJINFLA Posts: 725
    Whatever the political opinions of Ed, Pearl Jam, or any other band for that matter have they are not going to influence my views at all. So I could definitely do without it at live shows. If they want to go on a spoken word tour and share all of their political and social opinions then go for it.
    4/22/92 St. Petersburg, 8/23/92 Orlando, 3/29/94 St. Petersburg, 10/7/96 Ft. Lauderdale, 9/8/98 East Rutherford, 9/22/98 West Palm Beach, 9/23/98 West Palm Beach, 8/9/00 West Palm Beach, 8/10/00 West Palm Beach, 8/12/00 Tampa, 4/11/03 West Palm Beach, 4/13/03 Tampa, 6/2/03 Irvine, 6/3/03 Irvine, 9/28/04 Boston, 9/29/04 Boston, 9/1/05 George WA, 9/11/05 Kitchener, 9/12/05 London, 9/13/05 Hamilton, 10/03/05 Philadelphia, 5/16/06 Chicago, 5/17/06 Chicago, 6/23/06 Pittsburgh, 6/24/06 Cincinnati, 6/11/08, West Palm Beach, 6/12/08 Tampa, 6/19/08 Camden, 6/20/08 Camden, 8/23/09 Chicago, 8/24/09 Chicago, 10/27/09 Philadelphia, 10/28/09 Philadelphia, 10/30/09 Philadelphia, 10/31/09 Philadelphia, 5/18/10 New Jersey, 5/20/10 New York, 5/21/10 New York, 9/3/11 East Troy, 9/4/11 East Troy, 9/11/11 Toronto, 9/12/11 Toronto, 9/02/12 Philadelphia, 9/21/12 Pensacola, 7/19/13 Chicago, 10/18/13 Brooklyn, 10/19/13 Brooklyn, 11/23/13 LA, 10/24/13 LA, 11/16/13 Oklahoma City, 10/1/14 Cincinnati, 10/20/14 Milwaukee, 10/22/14 Denver, 4/8/16 Ft. Lauderdale, 4/9/16 Miami, 4/11/16 Tampa, 5/1/16 New York, 5/2/16 New York, 8/5/16 Boston, 8/7/16 Boston, 8/20/16 Chicago, 8/22/16 Chicago, 4/07/17 New York, 8/08/18 Seattle, 8/10/18 Seattle, 8/20/18 Chicago
    9/02/18 Boston, 9/04/18 Boston, 9/11/22 New York, 9/16/22 Nashville, 9/22/22 Denver, 8/31/23, St. Paul, 9/2/23 St. Paul, 9/18/23 Austin, 9/19/23 Austin
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    Not bothered by any of it. Life is too fucking short to be zeroing in on what you don’t like. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • droptheleash9droptheleash9 Posts: 1,430
    PJINFLA said:
    Whatever the political opinions of Ed, Pearl Jam, or any other band for that matter have they are not going to influence my views at all. So I could definitely do without it at live shows. If they want to go on a spoken word tour and share all of their political and social opinions then go for it.
    Also a fair point. That's why it was always funny to me when people seemed convinced Pearl Jam will play swing/battleground states in election years. Most folks' minds are already made up going into a show...Ed talking about issues probably isn't going to sway concertgoers one way or the other. Couple that with the limited scope of a concert, which has about 10-20 thousand attendees, and that line of thinking always seemed a tad off base to me.
    PJINFLA said:
    Also a fair point. That's why it was always funny to me when people seemed convinced Pearl Jam will play swing/battleground states in election years. Most folks' minds are already made up going into a show...Ed talking about issues probably isn't going to sway concertgoers one way or the other. Couple that with the limited scope of a concert, which has about 10-20 thousand attendees, and that line of thinking always seemed a tad off base to me.
    I would also point out we are an aging fan base. I would imagine a high percentage of the fan base is at or above 40 years old. Nor many people are changing their views over what is being said at a concert. 
    If people aren't up on the issues or not voting by the time they are 40. They probably aren't going to start. At least not in big numbers.
  • tylermooretylermoore Posts: 921
    JojoRice said:
    You have to realize, especially at this age, the talking is more so for the break than it is to talk. That maybe more untrue with PJ since Ed has always talked, but a lot of bands talk in between songs simply to catch their breath.  
  • fsu2626fsu2626 Posts: 371
    I'm glad the band expresses their beliefs. Their caring and honesty sets them apart 
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 13,498
    Not bothered by any of it. Life is too fucking short to be zeroing in on what you don’t like. 
    Well said my friend 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,249
    It’s been happening since the beginning with PJ so I definitely don’t let it bother me.  In general I don’t like it though. Never have. I go to concerts and sporting events to get away from thinking about politics and everyday bullshit.  I don’t need the opinion of a rock star on stage about politics. Even more so these days with how polarized everything is, I just want to enjoy the music and have a good time. 
  • HobbesHobbes Posts: 6,418
    I impatiently wait for Ed to end his rant and play "Evenflow" so that I can go to the bathroom.
  • DissidentRival74DissidentRival74 Six One Five Posts: 150
    I probably enjoyed it a lot more in my youth, but as I've gotten older not so much.  However, I've come to expect it at the shows and it's whatever nowadays.  I've yet to hear him say anything that makes me want to have nothing to do with the band, and honestly don't really ever see that happening.  As many have said, we're all adults - opinions differ - and that's ok.  Small price to pay to hear my favorite band play in person.
    "I'm only civil because I don't know any swear words."
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,525
    I don't mind a lead singer chatting with the audience in between songs, but to be honest, I prefer stuff about the music; a story behind a song, a memory that is invoked by the performance, etc. But Ed hasn't been too overly political at any of the shows I've been at (just his EB thing). most of his stage banter has been about neil young or how awesome our beer is. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• dannydanny Posts: 2,277
    could do without it the same with the covers they play and less ten 
    danny d
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    I don't mind a lead singer chatting with the audience in between songs, but to be honest, I prefer stuff about the music; a story behind a song, a memory that is invoked by the performance, etc. But Ed hasn't been too overly political at any of the shows I've been at (just his EB thing). most of his stage banter has been about neil young or how awesome our beer is. 
    Have a listen to the bootlegs 2016 to present. Way more balanced and also his humor on stage has really been so much fun to listen to! 
    www.cluthelee.com