Options

*** ZURICH 2022 SETLIST THREAD ***

Comments

• Options
    jrellis2jrellis2 Posts: 11
    I’m bummed and hoping that the length/song variety goes back up to 25-30 a night. Many headline bands play the same 18 songs every night, so it’s not that bad. But I get it- a huge part
    of the dedication this fan base has is from the live experience: the variety, the long encores, the bootlegs. I knew Ten in the 90s- but it was picking up 2003 bootlegs from the CD store going out of business that got me hooked. We also know the fate of other bands from their era, we know what happened recently with Hawkins. I think they’ll adapt in a way that will be a happy medium for the fans and the band. 
  • Options
    heartofadogheartofadog Portland, OR Posts: 352
    If any of y’all who are bummed about these set lists want to unload your MSG, Camden, Nashville or Denver tickets, lemme know.
    1993: Portland, OR (09/06), Seattle, WA (12/07), Seattle, WA (12/08), Seattle, WA (12/09)
    1995: Seattle, WA (02/05)
    1996: Seattle, WA (09/16)
    1997:
    Oakland, CA (11/19)
    1998:
    Portland, OR (07/18), Seattle, WA (07/21), Seattle, WA (07/22)
    2000: Bellingham, WA (05/10), Vancouver, BC (05/11), Mountain View, CA (10/31), Portland, OR (11/02), Seattle, WA (11/05), Seattle, WA (11/06)
    2002: Seattle, WA (12/05), Seattle, WA (12/06), Seattle, WA (12/08), Seattle, WA (12/09)
    2003: Vancouver, BC (5/30), Seattle, WA (10/22), 
    2006: Portland, OR (07/20)
    2009: Berlin, DE (08/15), Seattle, WA (9/21), Seattle, WA (9/22)
    2010: Berlin, DE (06/30)
    2013: Los Angeles, CA (11/23), Los Angeles, CA (11/24), Portland, OR (11/29), Spokane, WA (11/30)
    2018: Seattle, WA (08/10)
    2022: Seattle, WA (2/22), New York, NY (9/10), New York, NY (9/11), Camden, NJ (9/14), Denver, CO (9/22)
    2023: St. Paul, MN (8/31), St. Paul, MN (9/02)
  • Options
    HaijayHaijay Posts: 328
    Discopij said:
     Nobody is suggesting the band owes us anything … what most of us are focusing on is the dramatic and sudden change … and that is a fair discussion to have 
    Discussion, sure. But, oh lord, i guess it’s ALL over , it was a good run, end of an era, i’m not going to go to anymore shows, i have a ticket to MSG but  i’m NOT going (arms folded across chest, harumph) Are you taking your ball and going home? It’s quite comical to read, actually
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,587
    Lack of variety is definitely concerning. I’ve seen something new at 24 of 25 of my shows and the last 2 had nothing I haven’t seen live. 
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,440
    ComeToTX said:
    Lack of variety is definitely concerning. I’ve seen something new at 24 of 25 of my shows and the last 2 had nothing I haven’t seen live. 
    Funny, they were all new to me ;)
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,546
    Haijay said:
    Discopij said:
     Nobody is suggesting the band owes us anything … what most of us are focusing on is the dramatic and sudden change … and that is a fair discussion to have 
    Discussion, sure. But, oh lord, i guess it’s ALL over , it was a good run, end of an era, i’m not going to go to anymore shows, i have a ticket to MSG but  i’m NOT going (arms folded across chest, harumph) Are you taking your ball and going home? It’s quite comical to read, actually
    You aren’t understanding what people are saying, or what I was saying.  I will have seen Pearl Jam four times before MSG comes around this year.  Typically, I was all about seeing them as many times as I could.  What I am saying this year is that with these shorter, less varied set lists four shows may be enough for me and I don’t need to incur thousands of travel dollars to see one more show at MSG where it will likely be similar to what I have been fortunate to see four times already this year.  

I am not taking my ball and going home, I am just saying two hours of basketball is good enough now instead of all day.  

If you can’t understand that the draw of a less varied 22 song set versus a more varied 30 set is less for people fortunate enough to travel to see many shows than don’t know what to tell you.

• Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,836
    magirescu said:
    Guys, this is my first comment here and my last: YOU ARE ALL LITTLE SPOILED BRATS! Fucking enjoy this band still we have it! 
    I'm rubber and you're glue, whatever you say bounces off me and sticks to you
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Is it bad that it doesn’t bother me one bit?   They’re 58-60 yrs old.  A lot of their peers are dead.   We just went years without a multi-leg touring year.  

I’m totally fine with whatever they want to play.  Why?  Because I like most of their songs.  Give me 8 songs off of Ten any day.  Or 8 from Gigaton.  All of this is bonus miles.  
  • Options
    KsayetKsayet Posts: 63
    It’s also worth noting that many US fans will be paying exorbitant prices for these shows thanks to PJ premium. I don’t have an issue with the prices (sans msg) as it’s what it costs to see other bands. However those other bands have been playing 25+ songs for 2-3 hours. McCartney played 33 songs for 3 hours. Gonna get a lot more complaining when people pay hundreds or thousands. The expectations are just going to be higher..
    2018 - Rome
    2021 - Asbury, Ohana 1
    2022 - SD, LA1, LA2, Zurich, MSG, NJ, TN, KY, STL
    2023 - SP1,SP2,CHI1,CH2,FTW1,FTW2,AUS1,AUS2
  • Options
    DM282158DM282158 Beverly, MA Posts: 528
    JimmyV said:
    Crazy hypothesis time. I'm not saying I believe this, because I don't, but it has crossed my mind. 

These shows (with the exception of Fresno, which had illness issues) were all scheduled in 2020. They were contracted to play at 2020 rates. COVID changed all kinds of things. Are they, or is some one of they, pissed about playing these shows? Not enough money, not enough perks, etc? Is this the Pearl Jam version of a labor slowdown?

Like I said, it's a crazy hypothesis and I'm not convinced it is true. But it did cross my mind. 
    Post Covid has definitely f’d with the business of touring and everything. With those 2020 ticket prices compared to now - can’t say I blame them for doing the “PJ Premium”. And Maybe they’re taking the “marathon” route too, knowing that 2023 is going to be busy as well? Ed lost his voice in London in 2018, all the guys a little older, and who knows what else. Play 20-22 songs per night to ensure they get through the next year plus? 

Either way - cannot wait for Toronto and Nashville. 
    Boston '06
    Mansfield '08
    Hartford '10
    Worcester, Hartford '13
    Global Citizen, NY '15
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    edited June 2022
    As for last nigh I said my opinion. And was just OK. After all this shows I ve been  I can tell when band performance is epic qnd when it's not and when sound is good or not in venue 

Personally I have no issues with 2 hours show.
    Or 20 songs.. That's not my problem.. 
    The only issue I have is that u lose the feeling of Surprise of what will happen. 
    They hit the first note of Alive and u know u check. Where is the exit to leave venue 
    U hear Porch and u are encore coming 
    U go. To one show and u get given to fly, corduroy, Jeremy.. So u know that in the next u getting black, better man, daughter. 
    That's the feeling and thought in my head the whole  Time. And for sure makes u think, well. 15 shows are alot to be. Like that.. Next tour I go less shows. Or I will not travel. Overseas.. 
    Plus you don't get deep cuts. I forget already  that gonna happen this year. Getting new Gigaton songs and that's it. 
     From the other hand just enjoy music and friends and life has more serius problems than Setlist in a rock concert.

Post edited by dimitrispearljam on
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,003
    It all makes me appreciate  more what we did get on all those euro tours that blew our mind like amsterdam night 2 most times or leeds.  Im grateful and pleased i got the chance to live that. 

brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    saurighisaurighi Posts: 69
    ComeToTX said:
    Apologies, but this is how statistical distributions work... it's not them, it's you... the more shows you go to, the least new songs you will be able to see and the more likely you are to just see the same songs over and over. 
    The fact that they now play fewer songs, makes it even harder for you to see a new song being played.

They played 23 in Berlin and 20 in Zurich and just 8 were the same (having to play the songs from the new album and the classics) which makes it 35 unique songs in 2 shows. That is variety to me.

If the goal is to see a new song, then maybe you need to accept the fact that it will be just rarer and rarer for you.
    13/11/96 Milan - 16/06/14 Amsterdam - 25/11/15 Bogota - 29/05/17 EV Amsterdam - 21/03/18 Rio de Janeiro - 12/06/18 Amsterdam - 13/06/18 Amsterdam - 18/06/18 London - 24/06/18 Padova - 05/07/18 Berlin (AMAZING) - 08/08/18 Seattle - 10/08/18 Seattle (Spectacular) - 09/06/19 EV Amsterdam - 10/06/19 EV Amsterdam - 21/06/22 Berlin - 23/06/22 Zurich - 25/06/22 Imola - 25/07/22 Amsterdam - 11/09/22 New York
  • Options
    saurighisaurighi Posts: 69
    Haijay said:
    i have a ticket to MSG but  i’m NOT going 
    I will have seen Pearl Jam four times before MSG comes around this year. What I am saying this year is that with these shorter, less varied set lists four shows may be enough for me and I don’t need to incur thousands of travel dollars to see one more show at MSG where it will likely be similar to what I have been fortunate to see four times already this year.  

MSG is on 9/11... I am going even if they play 4 songs 😊

13/11/96 Milan - 16/06/14 Amsterdam - 25/11/15 Bogota - 29/05/17 EV Amsterdam - 21/03/18 Rio de Janeiro - 12/06/18 Amsterdam - 13/06/18 Amsterdam - 18/06/18 London - 24/06/18 Padova - 05/07/18 Berlin (AMAZING) - 08/08/18 Seattle - 10/08/18 Seattle (Spectacular) - 09/06/19 EV Amsterdam - 10/06/19 EV Amsterdam - 21/06/22 Berlin - 23/06/22 Zurich - 25/06/22 Imola - 25/07/22 Amsterdam - 11/09/22 New York
  • Options
    yosiyosi NYC Posts: 2,640
    ddeschler said:
    I'm guessing the full album Riot Act show won't be happening anytime soon? 
    I hadn’t even considered that yet. This just got exponentially worse. 
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane

• Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,810
    saurighi said:
    ComeToTX said:
    Apologies, but this is how statistical distributions work... it's not them, it's you... the more shows you go to, the least new songs you will be able to see and the more likely you are to just see the same songs over and over. 
    The fact that they now play fewer songs, makes it even harder for you to see a new song being played.

They played 23 in Berlin and 20 in Zurich and just 8 were the same (having to play the songs from the new album and the classics) which makes it 35 unique songs in 2 shows. That is variety to me.

If the goal is to see a new song, then maybe you need to accept the fact that it will be just rarer and rarer for you.
    You say its not them but you but then go on about how its them too...
  • Options
    CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,923
    I don't care about hearing new songs (other than Gigaton). I've heard everything that I want to hear. But I want to know there's at least a chance that I'll get 7-8 songs that aren't hits but still have a good chance to be played. As it goes now, you may get 1-2 of those. 

I'm not at a point where I'm looking to unload an MSG ticket, because it's the only show I have tickets to, I haven't seen them in 4 years and who knows when they'll be playing again. There's lots of time and shows in between, so we'll see how things go.

I'm in Maine, so some travel is always required to see them. But the days of trying to see them in Boston, CT, NY, and Philly are likely over. 
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    I will take anyone's ticket to MSG. PM me. Hopefully they play Mary Had a Little Lamb 10 times in a row.
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,836
    I don't care about hearing new songs (other than Gigaton). I've heard everything that I want to hear. But I want to know there's at least a chance that I'll get 7-8 songs that aren't hits but still have a good chance to be played. As it goes now, you may get 1-2 of those. 

I'm not at a point where I'm looking to unload an MSG ticket, because it's the only show I have tickets to, I haven't seen them in 4 years and who knows when they'll be playing again. There's lots of time and shows in between, so we'll see how things go.

I'm in Maine, so some travel is always required to see them. But the days of trying to see them in Boston, CT, NY, and Philly are likely over. 
    Yep
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,986

Yeah this is the part that hurts...it's the end of a pattern...a part of really loving this band that might be gone and that is kind of emotionally painful :)

But life goes on I guess.

Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    CO278952CO278952 Orlando, FL Posts: 1,233
    4.17.94 Paramount 9.28.96 Randall's Island 8.25.00 Jones Beach 4.28.03 Spectrum 7.5.03 Camden 7.6.03 Camden
    07.08.03 MSG 07.09.03 MSG 7.12.03 Hershey 7.14.03 Holmdel 6.12.08 Tampa 10.19.13 Brooklyn 4.11.16 Tampa
    5.1.16 MSG 5.2.16 MSG 8.7.16 Fenway 9.2.18 Fenway 9.4.18 Fenway 9.11.22 MSG 9.16.22 Nashville 9.18.23 Austin 9.19.23 Austin
  • Options
    It all makes me appreciate  more what we did get on all those euro tours that blew our mind like amsterdam night 2 most times or leeds.  Im grateful and pleased i got the chance to live that. 

Well said, totally agree on that, some special times indeed. And I'm sure there will be many more still to come
  • Options
    AndoAndo Denver Posts: 410
    I sat next to a man from Switzerland who’s dream was to always see Pearl Jam. He told me his number one song to hear was Black and it made him cry he was so happy. This show was the highlight of his year. I think sometimes we forget that not every show is for the die hard fan club members but also for the “normal” fans. 

But also I’m in the fan club and thought 20 songs was a little short. Still thought it was a good show no regrets for making the trip! 
  • Options
    TO42596TO42596 The Netherlands Posts: 141
    Ando said:
    I sat next to a man from Switzerland who’s dream was to always see Pearl Jam. He told me his number one song to hear was Black and it made him cry he was so happy. This show was the highlight of his year. I think sometimes we forget that not every show is for the die hard fan club members but also for the “normal” fans. 
    I think this is a very fair point. The majority of the crowd are casual fans and for that they need to play the "hits". It just stands out more now that the setlist is shorter. I'm ok with the 2 hour sets myself, but like many others would love to see more deep cuts and variety in general. It is what it is. If all goes according to plan I will be attending 5 shows this EURO tour and am still looking very much forward to them. Hope to hear most of Gigaton across the five, love that album!
    2000 London I
    2006 Arnhem & Prague
    2012 Amsterdam I & II / EV Amsterdam II
    2013 Buenos Aires & Wrigley Field / Brad Utrecht / Soundgarden Oslo & Amsterdam
    2014 Amsterdam I & II, Vienna, Berlin & Leeds / Soundgarden Santiago, Utrecht & Tilburg
    2016 MSG I & II, Quebec City, Fenway Park I & II
    2018 Amsterdam I & II, Krakow & Berlin
    2022 Stockholm, Copenhagen, Amsterdam & Toronto
    2023 Austin I & II
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,075
    edited June 2022
    One of the biggest draws of the PJ live experience was the “oh man I wonder what they will play tonight?!?!?”  These sets so far have been a pretty standard formula with very little variety. I’ve listened to every boot of the first leg. It’s disappointing. No way around it. I am still very excited about my two upcoming shows (STL & Nashville) but 20 songs with 15 of them being played almost every night is not even close to the standard they have set for themselves over the years. Then throw in a cover like “believe in miracles” or a “sleeping by myself” over so many great songs from albums being ignored and I completely understand the passionate fans disappointment. Just being honest about my favorite band of all time. There’s no way I’d ever sit here and tell ya I wouldn’t want 30 songs over 20 with at least a chance of hearing “of the earth” or “STBC” or a 100 other songs. 
    Post edited by Abe Froman on
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,807
    One of the biggest draws of the PJ live experience was the “oh man I wonder what they will play tonight?!?!?”  These sets so far have been a pretty standard formula with very little variety. I’ve listened to every boot of the first leg. It’s disappointing. No way around it. I am still very excited about my two upcoming shows (STL & Nashville) but 20 songs with 15 of them being played almost every night is not even close to the standard they have set for themselves over the years. Then throw in a cover like “believe in miracles” or a “sleeping by myself” over so many great songs from albums being ignored and I completely understand the passionate fans disappointment. Just being honest about my favorite band of all time. There’s no way I’d ever sit here and tell ya I wouldn’t want 30 songs over 20 with at least a chance of hearing “of the earth” or “STBC” or a 100 other songs. 
    The “buzz” in the arena before PJ would take the stage was something that was indescribable. And it all had to do with the uncertainty of what would happen. Full
    album? 3 hours? Rarity filled set? Opener? 

This new approach definitely takes away from that. 
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,986
    I was at Oak1 and 2 and will say that both nights were great. There was still the "I wonder what they will play next" vibe and we had a few good ones (Brain of J, Dissident, WMA) and I can't say I was paying attention to length of show.

Sitting back and watching the setlists form on shows I'm not at is obviously different from being there but yeah...it's hard not to comment that major changes have taken place and I don't understand why.

Rod Stewart plays more songs....I mean come on
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    The “buzz” in the arena before PJ would take the stage was something that was indescribable. And it all had to do with the uncertainty of what would happen. Full
    album? 3 hours? Rarity filled set? Opener? 

This new approach definitely takes away from that. 
    Spot on 
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    I was at Oak1 and 2 and will say that both nights were great. There was still the "I wonder what they will play next" vibe and we had a few good ones (Brain of J, Dissident, WMA) and I can't say I was paying attention to length of show.

Sitting back and watching the setlists form on shows I'm not at is obviously different from being there but yeah...it's hard not to comment that major changes have taken place and I don't understand why.

Rod Stewart plays more songs....I mean come on
    Yup. And i am still pumped for my two upcoming shows and I still think they are the best live band out there. But it’s a drastic change from what we’ve been accustomed to. And after listening to the boots (which I realize is not the same as being there) there is a noticeable different in this tours shows. For the first time I can remember there were multiple moments where I was thinking “Jesus Ed, stop talking and play the next song already” when I was listening to the boots. 

Quick stat:  they have played 5 total songs from Backspacer, LB and Binaural. 0 from Riot Act and Avocado
    Post edited by Abe Froman on
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,587
    saurighi said:
    ComeToTX said:

Valid point. I’d still like to hear songs I’ve heard once or twice and not 10-15. My casual fan wife will love the new trend though, and that’s great. 
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.