Options

*** ZURICH 2022 SETLIST THREAD ***

Comments

• Options
    fall by the waysidefall by the wayside Jericho, VT Posts: 753
    edited June 2022
    Seems a wild jump to start speculating about "somebody in the band" not wanting to do this anymore. 

This tour was postponed two years and is still happening in a world that has not recovered from (and is still in many ways in the midst of) a pandemic that completely wiped out the music industry. 

The shows have been shorter, who knows why. They've also had two guys out with COVID which completely upended the first leg and it sounds like there were technical issues today. Pretty tough to put a finger on what's going on. 

Last I heard they'd started working on a new record, or at least demos, with Watt. Stone gave an interview prior to the US tour in which he said he still wanted to make "the great 21st century Pearl Jam album." Doesn't sound to me like a band ready to hang it up.

This is a weird time. For everyone. The people in this band, around this band, are not immune to that.
    This is all well and good but the lack of variety is even more troubling to me than the short sets. They are barely playing anything off of the album they are supposed to be touring for, and those are the only ones recorded after 1998 that are getting played. 
    Post edited by fall by the wayside on
    9/13/98, 10/4/00, 4/29/03, 6/29/03, 7/2/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 9/15/05, 9/16/05, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 10/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/25/13, 10/27/13, 9/26/15, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/5/16, 8/7/16, 8/13/18, 9/2/18, 9/4/18, 9/26/21, 9/1/22, 9/2/22, 9/14/22, 9/18/23, 9/19/23
  • Options
    Red LukinRed Lukin Canada Posts: 2,994
    Exactly. I don't care about how long the show is, but almost zero variety.

I saw a band last night. Last time I saw them previously was 2019.  Guess how many songs were played last night that was a repeat in 2019.

Zero! 

No need to play a hit friendly set each night to make a good show.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,905
    First set at spectrum four was 21 songs lol. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Vedder4PrezVedder4Prez Posts: 794
    Seems a wild jump to start speculating about "somebody in the band" not wanting to do this anymore. 

This tour was postponed two years and is still happening in a world that has not recovered from (and is still in many ways in the midst of) a pandemic that completely wiped out the music industry. 

The shows have been shorter, who knows why. They've also had two guys out with COVID which completely upended the first leg and it sounds like there were technical issues today. Pretty tough to put a finger on what's going on. 

Last I heard they'd started working on a new record, or at least demos, with Watt. Stone gave an interview prior to the US tour in which he said he still wanted to make "the great 21st century Pearl Jam album." Doesn't sound to me like a band ready to hang it up.

This is a weird time. For everyone. The people in this band, around this band, are not immune to that.
    Good points 
    Don’t disagree with these points, but Stone has showed for years he’s definitely not into. Look back at the last set of Wrigley shows for visual evidence. 
    Nashville '00
    Houston, B'ham, Nashville, Atlanta '03
    Toledo, Grand Rapids '04
    Kitchener, London '05
    Camden x 2, D.C., Cincy, San Fran x 3 '06
    Chicago '07
    Columbia '08
    MSG x 2 '10;
    PJ 20 x 2 '11
    Atlanta '12
    Wrigley '13
    St. Louis, Memphis '14
    Lexington '15
    Wrigley '16
    Wrigley x 2 '18
    Nashville '22
  • Options
    Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,632
    mcgruff10 said:
    First set at spectrum four was 21 songs lol. 
    Axl freakin Rose sang 28 songs tonight in Holland lol
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
  • Options
    jimjam1982jimjam1982 AZ Posts: 1,245
    Maybe someone is still feeling the aftermath of Covid and thats totaly ok but if thats not the case…… 

Kiss play 23 songs and they are 70 years old with tons of crap on them :-) and Bruce plays +30 songs a nite…

If this is an stamina issue then it’s time to lose the cigarettes and to hit the gym 😉
    Rush played 3 hours plus up until the end. 

I dont believe it's stamina or for longevity. It feels like someone in the band doesn't want to do this anymore and it's not Ed. 
    Agreed that it’s not Ed.  We could honestly get to a point soon where EV Earthlings shows have longer setlists than PJ shows.  

Edit ^ looks like Earthlings played about 25 a night.  Absolutely crazy.  Something is going on.  

Edit 2 ^ Dirty Frank with the Earthlings is the biggest white whale of 2022 so far.  Again crazy.
    I'd rather see an EV + Earthling show then another one of these sets.  Alas, no one is picking up my MSG for 2k premium price with these sets.  If they can't put something together on 9/11 at MSG then its all over.
  • Options
    DiscopijDiscopij Posts: 438
    Oh man … I just looked at the stats for all the shows they’ve played this year and it’s worse than I thought … I wish I could un-see it

And I’ve been an apologist many times in the past, but this is getting really hard.
  • Options
    yosiyosi NYC Posts: 2,640
    Fallbythewayside said:
    This is all well and good but the lack of variety is even more troubling to me than the short sets. They are barely playing anything off of the album they are supposed to be touring for, and those are the only ones recorded after 1998 that are getting played. 
    For me this is it. Between ‘91-98 they recorded roughly 55 songs (a little less) on their albums. 
    Between 2000-2013 they recorded about 51 songs. They’re basically ignoring 50% of their catalogue pre-Gigaton. And that doesn’t include Lost Dogs and other b-sides and rarities. It’s just a bit of a bummer…

I also want to just put it out there that I saw Paul McCartney last week play 40 songs over 3hrs the day before he turned 80, so I wouldn’t think it’s their age. 

This isn’t to say, this Pearl Jam isn’t better than no Pearl Jam, or that I won’t be thrilled when I see them. Just hard coming to grips with the suddenness of this change given where things were before this tour. 
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane

• Options
    Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,632
    Maybe someone is still feeling the aftermath of Covid and thats totaly ok but if thats not the case…… 

Kiss play 23 songs and they are 70 years old with tons of crap on them :-) and Bruce plays +30 songs a nite…

If this is an stamina issue then it’s time to lose the cigarettes and to hit the gym 😉

I dont believe it's stamina or for longevity. It feels like someone in the band doesn't want to do this anymore and it's not Ed. 
    Agreed that it’s not Ed.  We could honestly get to a point soon where EV Earthlings shows have longer setlists than PJ shows.  

Edit ^ looks like Earthlings played about 25 a night.  Absolutely crazy.  Something is going on.  

Edit 2 ^ Dirty Frank with the Earthlings is the biggest white whale of 2022 so far.  Again crazy.
    I'd rather see an EV + Earthling show then another one of these sets.  Alas, no one is picking up my MSG for 2k premium price with these sets.  If they can't put something together on 9/11 at MSG then its all over.
    I am still searching for a ticket for MSG and I would say 400 is my absolute max at this point
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
  • Options
    evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,848
    edited June 2022
    If the length of show was shortened but there was variety I could come to terms with it.

If the show was long +3 hrs and they played a lot of the same tunes I could come to terms with it.

But short sets with little variety.... I'm not sure how the fans (and band?) can be cool with that and even defend it. Again, if we got to this stage over the course seven to ten years, I would understand, but the whiplash from 2018 to now is stark and undeniable.

The end of an era.
    Post edited by evenflow82 on
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,547

I am still searching for a ticket for MSG and I would say 400 is my absolute max at this point
    I have a GA ticket for MSG and I don’t really feel the need to go.   The reason to go would be to see an amazing PJ show versus their typical average greatness.  Now I think regardless of how awesome the crowd is or where the show is at, you’ll get your 20-23 songs and maybe a rarity if you are lucky.   As of right now based on these sets I will be selling my MSG GA ticket.  Don’t PM as there is already first dibs on it.

Great shows, but not ones I will travel to see 5-8 a year.  Not complaining, just being honest from the perspective of a traveling fan.
  • Options
    If the length of show was shortened but there was variety I could come to terms with it.

If the show was long +3 hrs and they played a lot of the same tunes I could come to terms with it.

But short sets with little variety.... I'm not sure how the fans (and band?) can be cool with that and even defend it. Again, if we got to this stage over the course seven to ten years, I would understand, but the whiplash from 2018 to now is stark and consistent.
    Bingo
  • Options

I have a GA ticket for MSG and I don’t really feel the need to go.   The reason to go would be to see an amazing PJ show versus their typical average greatness.  Now I think regardless of how awesome the crowd is or where the show is at, you’ll get your 20-23 songs and maybe a rarity if you are lucky.   As of right now based on these sets I will be selling my MSG GA ticket.  Don’t PM as there is already first dibs on it.

Great shows, but not ones I will travel to see 5-8 a year.  Not complaining, just being honest from the perspective of a traveling fan.
    Sad to say but the days of traveling to see pj could be over.  Let me know if you want To sell those msg ga s.  :)
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,547
    mcgruff10 said:

Sad to say but the days of traveling to see pj could be over.  Let me know if you want To sell those msg ga s.  :)
    I want Pj Premium dollars for it :)
  • Options
    yosiyosi NYC Posts: 2,640

But short sets with little variety.... I'm not sure how the fans (and band?) can be cool with that and even defend it. Again, if we got to this stage over the course seven to ten years, I would understand, but the whiplash from 2018 to now is stark and undeniable.

The end of an era.

100%
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane

• Options
    Vedder4PrezVedder4Prez Posts: 794
    Need to get a repub back in the White House. Those were the tours where they played with some grit!
    Nashville '00
    Houston, B'ham, Nashville, Atlanta '03
    Toledo, Grand Rapids '04
    Kitchener, London '05
    Camden x 2, D.C., Cincy, San Fran x 3 '06
    Chicago '07
    Columbia '08
    MSG x 2 '10;
    PJ 20 x 2 '11
    Atlanta '12
    Wrigley '13
    St. Louis, Memphis '14
    Lexington '15
    Wrigley '16
    Wrigley x 2 '18
    Nashville '22
  • Options
    JR86440JR86440 Posts: 737

Yep. I got Apollo tickets from a charity. Not sure if they are playing or not but I don’t want the tickets anymore. I have MSG tickets in 200 section. No desire to go. Saw them in Oakland. That’s enough. Days of traveling multiple times are over. Hit a back to back show but that’s about it.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

I want Pj Premium dollars for it :)
    You got it!!
  • Options
    PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,748
    edited June 2022
    The problem is the standard they set. You can’t go from giving Chicago Bulls Michael Jordan set lists to Washington Wizards Michael Jordan set lists. 🤷‍♂️
    Post edited by PJammin' on
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • Options
    HaijayHaijay Posts: 328
    Holy christ, does anyone have any cheese for all this Whining? Lot of bottom lips hangin out here, wow. Sounds like some have almost lost the will to live. Shall we alert the authorities? Is anyone walking a ledge? Jesus
  • Options
    Haijay said:
    Holy christ, does anyone have any cheese for all this Whining? Lot of bottom lips hangin out here, wow. Sounds like some have almost lost the will to live. Shall we alert the authorities? Is anyone walking a ledge? Jesus
    Hyperbole much?
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,931
    Eh, fan(atics) are often going to be passionate, for good or bad. Reactions seem to be on a wide spectrum and that should be expected. We've seen a drastic reduction in the length of show and pool of songs. It's worth a discussion of why. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    fall by the waysidefall by the wayside Jericho, VT Posts: 753
    Haijay said:
    Show us on the doll where the criticism hurt you 
    9/13/98, 10/4/00, 4/29/03, 6/29/03, 7/2/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 9/15/05, 9/16/05, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 10/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/25/13, 10/27/13, 9/26/15, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/5/16, 8/7/16, 8/13/18, 9/2/18, 9/4/18, 9/26/21, 9/1/22, 9/2/22, 9/14/22, 9/18/23, 9/19/23
  • Options
    CO278952CO278952 Orlando, FL Posts: 1,233
    Gutted 
    4.17.94 Paramount 9.28.96 Randall's Island 8.25.00 Jones Beach 4.28.03 Spectrum 7.5.03 Camden 7.6.03 Camden
    07.08.03 MSG 07.09.03 MSG 7.12.03 Hershey 7.14.03 Holmdel 6.12.08 Tampa 10.19.13 Brooklyn 4.11.16 Tampa
    5.1.16 MSG 5.2.16 MSG 8.7.16 Fenway 9.2.18 Fenway 9.4.18 Fenway 9.11.22 MSG 9.16.22 Nashville 9.18.23 Austin 9.19.23 Austin
  • Options
     Nobody is suggesting the band owes us anything … what most of us are focusing on is the dramatic and sudden change … and that is a fair discussion to have 
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,811
    edited June 2022
    I am really curious how the Italy set is going to go now. They are usually monsters setwise. 2018 was a 3hr 10min shows and 36 songs. Tonight was 2 songs away from halving that show. 
  • Options
    CP218430CP218430 Posts: 1,892
    I guess I'm thinking if they were limping to an end they'd give us a Kirk Gibson performance and gut out some final shows. This band doesn't go out with a whimper, it'll be a bang if and when it happens. I get people being upset but they've given us so much, we can give them some patience. I've held onto St. Louis ticks for two years, and I'm going to go. Do I need to hear anything off Ten again, eh - not so much. But that's okay because every time I've seen this band I've been in a special place for as long as they've played. I'll keep going. We've been patient for 2 years and the whiplash is tough but a little more patience is going to pay off. When has this band ever really let us down? 
    98: St. Louis. 2000: Alpine. 2003: Chicago. 2006: Chicago Night 2, Milwaukee Night 1. 2007: Chicago (Lolla). 2009: Chicago 1 & 2. 2011: Alpine 1 & 2. 2013: Chicago & LA Night 1. 2016: Chicago 1 & 2. 2018: Chicago 1 & 2. 

"Let the Ocean dissolve away my past."
  • Options
    ddeschlerddeschler Posts: 634
    I'm guessing the full album Riot Act show won't be happening anytime soon? 
    I've seen quite a few Pearl Jam shows.
  • Options
    PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,748
    ddeschler said:
    I'm guessing the full album Riot Act show won't be happening anytime soon?  
    🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • Options
    Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 2,889
    edited June 2022
    N/A
    Post edited by Attaway77 on
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby