Options

*** ZURICH 2022 SETLIST THREAD ***

14567810»

Comments

• Options
    vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 826
    If they played more rarities and less hits when they only play 20 songs per set, they would never fill an arena again.  
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,594
    Is it a rarity if it's on one of your studio albums?  We don't want Bee Girl and Strangest Tribe every night but mixing in some Riot Act would be nice.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    jimjam1982jimjam1982 AZ Posts: 1,259
    vedpunk said:
    If they played more rarities and less hits when they only play 20 songs per set, they would never fill an arena again.  
    Fantastic. Let's go back to playing places like showbox then.

Also, They didn't sell out a single Leg 1 show. Oakland and Fresno were so empty you can hear echoes when Ed speaks
  • Options
    KloddzKloddz Posts: 2,573
    edited June 2022
    jimjam1982 said:

Great idea, that way we will finally again get people with THE lowest member numbers, that are ENTITLED to get tickets to EVERY show, complaining about not getting tickets to the show - and that's what this forum was meant to be about in the first place, wasn't it? 😉
    Bern - September 13, 2006
    Berlin - August 15, 2009
    Lisbon - July 10, 2010
    Berlin - June 26, 2014
    Zurich - June 23, 2022

http://www.last.fm/user/Kloddz
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    vedpunk said:

Also, They didn't sell out a single Leg 1 show. Oakland and Fresno were so empty you can hear echoes when Ed speaks
    They have way too many mouths to feed to not play arenas/ballparks.   

I'm guessing they learned a lesson to never play that many west coast shows again.   They could have easily sold out multiple arenas in most east coast cities and most Texas & Florida cities.  It's maddening to think why they leave out so many of their hardcore fans, even when it financially makes more sense.  (But that's for another thread)
  • Options
    saurighisaurighi Posts: 69
    PJNB said:
    saurighi said:
    ComeToTX said:
    Lack of variety is definitely concerning. I’ve seen something new at 24 of 25 of my shows and the last 2 had nothing I haven’t seen live. 
    Apologies, but this is how statistical distributions work... it's not them, it's you... the more shows you go to, the least new songs you will be able to see and the more likely you are to just see the same songs over and over. 
    The fact that they now play fewer songs, makes it even harder for you to see a new song being played.

They played 23 in Berlin and 20 in Zurich and just 8 were the same (having to play the songs from the new album and the classics) which makes it 35 unique songs in 2 shows. That is variety to me.

If the goal is to see a new song, then maybe you need to accept the fact that it will be just rarer and rarer for you.
    You say its not them but you but then go on about how its them too...
    Indeed!
    I see you highlighted the part that would make my statement wrong.

I then go on to say that the variety is still there despite the fewer songs, so for me it is not them. That is my opinion.

The whole thing is driven by the individual perspective. As another individual said here, to them all songs were new last night.
    So it's not the band, it's the individual. 

I am just looking forward to tomorrow and seeing Pixies for the first time ❤️
    All their songs tomorrow will be new to me

13/11/96 Milan - 16/06/14 Amsterdam - 25/11/15 Bogota - 29/05/17 EV Amsterdam - 21/03/18 Rio de Janeiro - 12/06/18 Amsterdam - 13/06/18 Amsterdam - 18/06/18 London - 24/06/18 Padova - 05/07/18 Berlin (AMAZING) - 08/08/18 Seattle - 10/08/18 Seattle (Spectacular) - 09/06/19 EV Amsterdam - 10/06/19 EV Amsterdam - 21/06/22 Berlin - 23/06/22 Zurich - 25/06/22 Imola - 25/07/22 Amsterdam - 11/09/22 New York
  • Options
    Rossdoc81Rossdoc81 Posts: 17
    edited June 2022
    This isn't random, they have made a decision to play two hour shows. I assume they would have had a discussion about this, and talked about the reaction of fans. Stopping half way through Yellow Ledbetter into alive in Berlin was pretty awful. Yes there was a curfew but you could have started earlier, or broken the curfew.

Covid was awful on everyone and who knows what impact it had on each member of the band. They are human beings like us, not machines. If they acknowledged the shorter sets it probably would be better.

It's also super rare to have the original four members of a band still together, so if they've had a falling out it wouldn't be that unusual. I played in a band with my brother and best friend for ten years and by the end we borderline hated each other..

I don't buy the Matt not being able to hack the drums story as you could just do acoustic sets or quiet songs. I also don't buy the Eddie's voice being gone as he could do lower songs in between  to give him a break.

Between playing on the street and gigging today I played for five hours in Berlin and made €112. Wouldn't I and every musician around here like to be selling out the Waldbuhne on the longest day of the year
    Post edited by Rossdoc81 on
  • Options
    aweisman10aweisman10 Posts: 145
    Rossdoc81 said:
    This isn't random, they have made a decision to play two hour shows. I assume they would have had a discussion about this, and talked about the reaction of fans. Stopping half way through Yellow Ledbetter into alive in Berlin was pretty awful. Yes there was a curfew but you could have started earlier, or broken the curfew.

Covid was awful on everyone and who knows what impact it had on each member of the band. They are human beings like us, not machines. If they acknowledged the shorter sets it probably would be better.

It's also super rare to have the original four members of a band still together, so if they've had a falling out it wouldn't be that unusual. I played in a band with my brother and best friend for ten years and by the end we borderline hated each other..

I don't buy the Matt not being able to hack the drums story as you could just do acoustic sets or quiet songs. I also don't buy the Eddie's voice being gone as he could do lower songs in between  to give him a break.

Between playing on the street and gigging today I played for five hours in Berlin and made €112. Wouldn't I and every musician around here like to be selling out the Waldbuhne on the longest day of the year? Maybe these lads are starting to forget where they came from?
    Rossdoc81 said:

Between playing on the street and gigging today I played for five hours in Berlin and made €112. Wouldn't I and every musician around here like to be selling out the Waldbuhne on the longest day of the year? Maybe these lads are starting to forget where they came from?
    This is a great post! 100% agreed! It would make the WAY shorter sets easier to digest if they acknowledged the reasoning and made fans aware to not expect a normal Pearl Jam show that we’ve been a costumed to all these years. They are charging the same price for a lot shorter of a show. I’m thinking about selling all my tickets to the fall shows, not worth it traveling to see such a short show at this point. 
  • Options
    aweisman10aweisman10 Posts: 145
    jrellis2 said:
    I’m bummed and hoping that the length/song variety goes back up to 25-30 a night. Many headline bands play the same 18 songs every night, so it’s not that bad. But I get it- a huge part
    of the dedication this fan base has is from the live experience: the variety, the long encores, the bootlegs. I knew Ten in the 90s- but it was picking up 2003 bootlegs from the CD store going out of business that got me hooked. We also know the fate of other bands from their era, we know what happened recently with Hawkins. I think they’ll adapt in a way that will be a happy medium for the fans and the band. 
    100% the variety, long shows, spontaneity of the live set, is the reason I got into Pearl Jam in first place. This somewhat ruins it for me. It sucks. 
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,986
    vedpunk said:

Nope... Both oak shows were packed whether sold out or not 
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,033
    What we think or feel doesn't  really matter. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,162
    One of the biggest draws of the PJ live experience was the “oh man I wonder what they will play tonight?!?!?”  These sets so far have been a pretty standard formula with very little variety. I’ve listened to every boot of the first leg. It’s disappointing. No way around it. I am still very excited about my two upcoming shows (STL & Nashville) but 20 songs with 15 of them being played almost every night is not even close to the standard they have set for themselves over the years. Then throw in a cover like “believe in miracles” or a “sleeping by myself” over so many great songs from albums being ignored and I completely understand the passionate fans disappointment. Just being honest about my favorite band of all time. There’s no way I’d ever sit here and tell ya I wouldn’t want 30 songs over 20 with at least a chance of hearing “of the earth” or “STBC” or a 100 other songs. 
    Exactly 
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,828
    edited June 2022
    As a concert goer looking to purchase tickets in the future it definitely does. Maybe the ones that care about the change in sets are in the minority and the band won't even notice. 
  • Options
    But that doesn't mean we can't discuss it right? 

I know they don't owe me an explanation but this is the place where those of us who are curious about the drastic changes are going to discuss these things.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,033

I know they don't owe me an explanation but this is the place where those of us who are curious about the drastic changes are going to discuss these things.
    Oh i agree. Discussing it im all for i just know we won't  make a difference  but I'll stop trying to make a difference.  NO WAY!
    I feel sad the old times are gone but i guess we need to come to terms with the future.  Thats the part
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,828
    edited June 2022

Oh i agree. Discussing it im all for i just know we won't  make a difference  but I'll stop trying to make a difference.  NO WAY!
    I feel sad the old times are gone but i guess we need to come to terms with the future.  Thats the part
    I honestly would of liked to have known what the future was when I held tickets for 2 and a half years for these Euro shows. I do not think they owe us an explanation or anything either but as someone that has spent thousands and lost thousands on these legs I definitely would of looked at it differently. I am not saying they should have told us just wish I knew personally. 

Still super excited for all the shows though. 
    Post edited by PJNB on
  • Options
    aurynsdadaurynsdad Posts: 779
    edited June 2022
    Bunch of entitled wankers. I am so fucking glad Pearl Jam is still touring. Y'all can stay home if you want.
    10/31/93 Berkeley (Baba!) • 10/1/94 Bridge School • 9/16/96 Seattle (In My Tree!) • 10/19/96 & 10/20/96 B. School (Alt Corduroy & Alt Porch!) • 10/25/03 B. School • 6/1/03 Mtnview (Crazy Mary! You Are!) • 11/29/13 Portland (All Those Yesterdays! Even Flow!) • 10/25/14 Bridge School (Rain! Fuckin Up! TOTD!) • 5/13/22 Oakland (had to leave early, but W.M.A.! Immortality!)
  • Options
    PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,751
    edited June 2022
    vedpunk said:

Has their time passed?
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • Options
    DiscopijDiscopij Posts: 444
    aurynsdad said:
    Bunch of entitled wankers. I am so fucking glad Pearl Jam is still touring. Y'all can stay home if you want.
    if the definition of entitled wanker is being disappointed at paying 20% more for 30% less value then I guess that’s what I am
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    PJammin' said:
    vedpunk said:

Has their time passed?
    Fake news.  Both Oakland shows were packed and almost sold out.  
    Post edited by vedpunk on
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,849
    I kind of thought being that people waited so long they'd do extra special shows/sets. Ok, they didn't. I'm not going anyway. Just disappointing to see.
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,078
    aurynsdad said:
    Ha!  Fans are entitled wankers because they are having a discussion about their favorite band making a drastic change in their live performances. I’m an entitled wanker because I enjoyed 30 song sets more than 20 and said it out loud?  Oh well then 
  • Options
    PJammin' said:
    vedpunk said:

Has their time passed?
    I'm not sure about Fresno but Oak was selling seats behind the stage. Hard to sell out an arrangement like that.