Options

State of elections since 2020

Comments

• Options
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Zod said:
    I feel like this has been growing for some time.  20 years ago it felt like when Republicans won't an election, it was be patriotic, be American, and support you president.  If a democrat won, all those same people went quiet. 

Now it's evolved to.. if our guy won the election is completely legitimate.  If anyone else won it's fraud.   Like it's inconceivable an election can be lost.  From the outside looking in, it seems pretty crazy.
    How is this different than 2016?
    I know the usuals are going to say I’m just both siding it. But I don’t see how anyone can deny that’s what happened from 2016-2020. So to only criticize one party doesn’t seem fair.
    Are you saying that people on the left claimed the election was rigged, stolen, a fraud? Asking for multiple recounts and filing multiple frivolous lawsuits?
    I don't recall that ever happening.
    I do recall democrats being freaked out that a con-artist with the solid backing of white supremacists and vlad poo tin won.

In 2020 and I'm sure in every ensuing election in our lifetime the regressives will throw tantrums and scream "it was rigged" every time one of their candidates loses. But if they win, whether by 1 vote or a million, they will claim everything was perfect and it was a beautiful well run election.

Did Clinton not concede within eight hours of election day 2016?

it’s concerning middle right like mace have views such as “it’s both parties.” Clinton conceded immediately, and trump said six months before the election, thru today, “either I win or it’s rigged.” Has any democrat made that claim? Voting for that ace is supporting authoritarianism in America 

the fact that trump asked for help from a murderous dictator and was subsequently investigated for that does not equate to the authoritarian rhetoric from republicans 
    To the bold. Yes. Hilary. Quoted below.
    Why does it come down to just what Hilary did? Do you not recal the many protests against the inauguration? The commercials featuring celebrities asking the EC not to actually vote the way their state did and essentially ignoring the election results? The record number of politicians who boycotted the inauguration? The many many people on social media saying a trump will never be their president?

For 4 years we heard nothing but “this was won by misinformation, this election wasn’t legitimate.” Am I the only one who remembers that? It was pretty big news for 4 years.
    And you bring up Trump saying he won’t concede if he loses, did you forget Hilary said this in 2020 as well? ““Joe Biden should not concede under any circumstances, because I think this is going to drag out, and eventually I do believe he will win if we don't give an inch, and if we are as focused and relentless as the other side is,”  Even prior to the 2030 election she referred to Trump as an illegitimate president and that it was stolen. I fail to see how you’re a consirpacy nut for saying that in 2020, but totally acceptable if it’s about 2016.
    Trying to delegitimilize the election in public opinion isn’t a one-sided strategy that started in 2020 like it’s being portrayed here.
    And for the record, Biden did win in 2020. Trump lost. I’m just saying this whole protesting the results isn’t as one sided as it’s being played out to be.

Sorry, missed this. Difference is Hilary conceded in 2016, trump did not in 2020. Regarding 2020, she is referring to the trump plan of claiming victory on election night before all votes are counted. I agree her language went too far, but I am not sure she supported a revolution to overthrow the results of the election, had trump won 270 electoral votes. She was imploring Biden to fight off trumps plan to rig the election by lying about fraud.

Thank for rationally explaining everything here. There is no bothsidesing this issue. Not even remotely close, although I didn't like what she said either. But, still, it's not the same thing. To insinuate that it is is just disingenuous. 
    100% 
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,158
    america, enjoy your last night of relative peace for the conceivable future. i predict a shit show tomorrow and the days following. we will not know many election results tomorrow night, so that will only add to the anxiety. even if the gop gets trounced, most of them will not concede and will claim massive voter fraud, even given the strict voting laws they recently enacted.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,779

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,824
    I would guess that just about every GQP candidate will declare victory minutes after the polls close today. It's not just about winning...it's also about shattering the confidence in the process. Party first.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,298
    OnWis97 said:
    I would guess that just about every GQP candidate will declare victory minutes after the polls close today. It's not just about winning...it's also about shattering the confidence in the process. Party first.
    Exactly! We won 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,279
    Yes it will be surprising to see any republican concede. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,718
    america, enjoy your last night of relative peace for the conceivable future. i predict a shit show tomorrow and the days following. we will not know many election results tomorrow night, so that will only add to the anxiety. even if the gop gets trounced, most of them will not concede and will claim massive voter fraud, even given the strict voting laws they recently enacted.

Exactly.  We're are in for a bumpy ride no matter how this elections shake out.  
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Just voted straight Democrat across the board feels great to vote in peace! 
  • Options

Yes!  Easy to choose this time around (except for some of the measures and propositions which are so often a conundrum and difficult to decipher!)
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    brianlux said:

Yes!  Easy to choose this time around (except for some of the measures and propositions which are so often a conundrum and difficult to decipher!)
    I voted for the clean air & water measure 
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,824
    brianlux said:

And the unopposed judges.

I don't want to be "vote blue no matter who." But I feel I have no choice.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    I voted around noon two miles from my home. In all it took around 10 minutes without any drama.  The poll workers were helpful and so polite in answering any questions asked of them. Especially vital to vote here in in Florida and I'm glad I did Especially since I was not sent an absentee ballot.

✌️
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    They're already crying fraud
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:
    brianlux said:

Right there with you. Such a sad state of affairs right now....
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,114
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Zod said:
    I feel like this has been growing for some time.  20 years ago it felt like when Republicans won't an election, it was be patriotic, be American, and support you president.  If a democrat won, all those same people went quiet. 

Now it's evolved to.. if our guy won the election is completely legitimate.  If anyone else won it's fraud.   Like it's inconceivable an election can be lost.  From the outside looking in, it seems pretty crazy.
    I know the usuals are going to say I’m just both siding it. But I don’t see how anyone can deny that’s what happened from 2016-2020. So to only criticize one party doesn’t seem fair.
    Are you saying that people on the left claimed the election was rigged, stolen, a fraud? Asking for multiple recounts and filing multiple frivolous lawsuits?
    I do recall democrats being freaked out that a con-artist with the solid backing of white supremacists and vlad poo tin won.

In 2020 and I'm sure in every ensuing election in our lifetime the regressives will throw tantrums and scream "it was rigged" every time one of their candidates loses. But if they win, whether by 1 vote or a million, they will claim everything was perfect and it was a beautiful well run election.

it’s concerning middle right like mace have views such as “it’s both parties.” Clinton conceded immediately, and trump said six months before the election, thru today, “either I win or it’s rigged.” Has any democrat made that claim? Voting for that ace is supporting authoritarianism in America 

the fact that trump asked for help from a murderous dictator and was subsequently investigated for that does not equate to the authoritarian rhetoric from republicans 
    Why does it come down to just what Hilary did? Do you not recal the many protests against the inauguration? The commercials featuring celebrities asking the EC not to actually vote the way their state did and essentially ignoring the election results? The record number of politicians who boycotted the inauguration? The many many people on social media saying a trump will never be their president?

For 4 years we heard nothing but “this was won by misinformation, this election wasn’t legitimate.” Am I the only one who remembers that? It was pretty big news for 4 years.
    And you bring up Trump saying he won’t concede if he loses, did you forget Hilary said this in 2020 as well? ““Joe Biden should not concede under any circumstances, because I think this is going to drag out, and eventually I do believe he will win if we don't give an inch, and if we are as focused and relentless as the other side is,”  Even prior to the 2030 election she referred to Trump as an illegitimate president and that it was stolen. I fail to see how you’re a consirpacy nut for saying that in 2020, but totally acceptable if it’s about 2016.
    Trying to delegitimilize the election in public opinion isn’t a one-sided strategy that started in 2020 like it’s being portrayed here.
    And for the record, Biden did win in 2020. Trump lost. I’m just saying this whole protesting the results isn’t as one sided as it’s being played out to be.

Sorry, missed this. Difference is Hilary conceded in 2016, trump did not in 2020. Regarding 2020, she is referring to the trump plan of claiming victory on election night before all votes are counted. I agree her language went too far, but I am not sure she supported a revolution to overthrow the results of the election, had trump won 270 electoral votes. She was imploring Biden to fight off trumps plan to rig the election by lying about fraud.

Thank for rationally explaining everything here. There is no bothsidesing this issue. Not even remotely close, although I didn't like what she said either. But, still, it's not the same thing. To insinuate that it is is just disingenuous. 
    100% 

100% what? this is from July. It’s now November. Wasn’t sure back then if juggler was being sarcastic so I let it go. Yes Clinton advised Biden not to concede too early, but I wasn’t, and still not sure, how that compares to trumps strategic and comprehensive undermining of confidence in elections. “I win or it’s rigged” is literal totalitarianism.
  • Options
    FWIW the context for Hilary’s comment… was IF trump claimed victory, IF the election was close, THEN Biden should not concede IF all the votes were not yet counted.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,008
    edited November 2022
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Zod said:

100% 
    Had to reread all the quotes to remember what we were talking about. I never said Hilary’s and Trump’s actions were the same. I was just responding to the comment that only republicans claim election fraud. That is 100 % not true. Yes, Hilary didn’t file lawsuits and encourage a riot at the Capitol, I never said she did. But you can’t deny that she, and many others, claimed over and over again that Trump wasn’t the true winner. She even posted a video a week or 2 ago saying the GOP is already setting in motion plans to steal the 2024 election. So how can you say only 1 side ever claims fraud when they lose? They’re already claiming it for an election 2 years away.
    It might not be as wide spread on the left, but it still exists.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:
    brianlux said:

Yes, those too.  That always seems odd to me.

"blue not matter who", yep.  This time, for sure!

• Options
    They're already crying fraud

I can only say "good" to that if that means MAGAs are loosing.  Too early to tell though.  The next day or too will be interesting (understatement!)

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    Looks like Boebert is gonna
    lose. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Zod said:

100% 

100% what? this is from July. It’s now November. Wasn’t sure back then if juggler was being sarcastic so I let it go. Yes Clinton advised Biden not to concede too early, but I wasn’t, and still not sure, how that compares to trumps strategic and comprehensive undermining of confidence in elections. “I win or it’s rigged” is literal totalitarianism.
    I was agreeing 100% with what Juggler said: “ There is no bothsidesing this issue. Not even remotely close, although I didn't like what she said either. But, still, it's not the same thing. To insinuate that it is is just disingenuous”

There is no both sides here. The comparison doesn’t exist, no matter how much people want to stomp their feet about what Hillary or celebrities or anyone else said. 
  • Options
    So there might not be any spiking of the ball here by our fellow MAGA posters or is it too early still? 
  • Options
    cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,401
    I guess the results show that the country won’t tolerate totalitarianism.  The economy can be fixed.  Thank goodness trumps people went down.  
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,242
    I don't know, the fact that 164 election deniers have already won their race doesn't seem to bode well.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,631
    tbergs said:
    I don't know, the fact that 164 election deniers have already won their race doesn't seem to bode well.
    They were election deniers because that's what plays in their districts. Question is how many new ones replaced a D. I don't think any thus far.

Lauren Bobert was losing last I saw. 
  • Options
    Heres a gem.  She says the "fire Nancy Pelosi" at the very end.  This is someone from my state over in Staten Island.
    https://youtu.be/zRkE7PcsGCA
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,967
    edited November 2022
    Crazy stuff....I woke up at 4am and checked results. Glad to see Fetterman beat that piece of tRumpshit Oz.

Also nice to see AZ results thus far...hopefully the Dem advantage holds tonight when Maricopa finalizes.

Sucks that Warnock isn't the clear winner but he has the clear advantage in the runoff. Plus more abortions will probably pop up for Walker in the interim.

There is hope for dems...GenZ clearly stepped up to the plate
    Post edited by Gern Blansten on
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    Crazy stuff....I woke up at 4am and checked results. Glad to see Fetterman beat that piece of tRumpshit Oz.

Also nice to see AZ results thus far...hopefully the Dem advantage holds tonight when Maricopa finalizes.

Sucks that Warnock isn't the clear winner but he has the clear advantage in the runoff. Plus more abortions will probably pop up for Walker in the interim.

I lol'd, not gonna lie. 
  • Options
    g under p said:
    I voted around noon two miles from my home. In all it took around 10 minutes without any drama.  The poll workers were helpful and so polite in answering any questions asked of them. Especially vital to vote here in in Florida and I'm glad I did Especially since I was not sent an absentee ballot.

✌️

Good to hear it was a positive experience but what the heck is going on in FL? The state is starting to look like Alabama,Arkansas, etc politically. Especially Miami Dade? 

In 2016 Clinton won Miami by 30 and yesterday Rubio/RDS won by 10, a 40 point swing in six years. I know the reports claim this is the Cuban vote, but 40 points seems like it’s a lot more than Latino vote, not sure this has ever happened in such a short period , especially considering Rs have not this kind of swing in their favor like this anywhere else in the country?
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,967

I lol'd, not gonna lie. 

Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana