Options

State of elections since 2020

Comments

• Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,116
    Crazy stuff....I woke up at 4am and checked results. Glad to see Fetterman beat that piece of tRumpshit Oz.

Also nice to see AZ results thus far...hopefully the Dem advantage holds tonight when Maricopa finalizes.

Sucks that Warnock isn't the clear winner but he has the clear advantage in the runoff. Plus more abortions will probably pop up for Walker in the interim.

There is hope for dems...GenZ clearly stepped up to the plate

Dems could still lose both house and senate, and the House is likely going to be decided by NYS due to poor Dem turnout. 2 key factors, not sure how much reporting there is on this, but it’s probably going to make mccarthy speaker.

1 - Republican judge overruled Dems in drawing new maps, up to five seats could be lost by Dems in NY. FWIW, OHIO has very similar laws to NY (state constitution calls for independent commission to draw maps), but OH legislature said FU to the courts and drew a heavily gerrymandered map. So NY plays by the rules, OH does not and GOP gets the House as a result 

2 - Covid Covid Covid, believe it or not. NY strong regulation on Covid laws pissed off…the teachers, a very strong, usually very blue turnout. There was definitely a red wave in NY in addition to the pro GOP congress maps. Cuomo won last time by almost 25, Hochul won by six.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,796
    Crazy stuff....I woke up at 4am and checked results. Glad to see Fetterman beat that piece of tRumpshit Oz.

Also nice to see AZ results thus far...hopefully the Dem advantage holds tonight when Maricopa finalizes.

Sucks that Warnock isn't the clear winner but he has the clear advantage in the runoff. Plus more abortions will probably pop up for Walker in the interim.

Dems could still lose both house and senate, and the House is likely going to be decided by NYS due to poor Dem turnout. 2 key factors, not sure how much reporting there is on this, but it’s probably going to make mccarthy speaker.

1 - Republican judge overruled Dems in drawing new maps, up to five seats could be lost by Dems in NY. FWIW, OHIO has very similar laws to NY (state constitution calls for independent commission to draw maps), but OH legislature said FU to the courts and drew a heavily gerrymandered map. So NY plays by the rules, OH does not and GOP gets the House as a result 

2 - Covid Covid Covid, believe it or not. NY strong regulation on Covid laws pissed off…the teachers, a very strong, usually very blue turnout. There was definitely a red wave in NY in addition to the pro GOP congress maps. Cuomo won last time by almost 25, Hochul won by six.

ohio isnt independent commission. giv, lt gov, majority leader of both chambers and minority leader of both chambers. thats the commission.

now the minority leaders MUST agree with map as drawn. if not map sticks for 4 yrs.

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,969
    Yeah I think the GOP will control the house but this is no red tsunami. That's a victory given inflation, Biden's approval rating, etc.

Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,631

If GOP wins both NV and GA, doesn't that make it 50/50?  Am I counting wrong here?  If it's split, then the D's fundamentally control through the VP.  
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,287
    Yeah I think the GOP will control the house but this is no red tsunami. That's a victory given inflation, Biden's approval rating, etc.

It's actually gotta be considered one of the best midterms for a first term president in a reeeeeaaaaaally long time. 

lolmaga
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,013
    mrussel1 said:

If GOP wins both NV and GA, doesn't that make it 50/50?  Am I counting wrong here?  If it's split, then the D's fundamentally control through the VP.  
    Every source I see is giving 2 seats to "other" parties. I'm not sure who that is and who they align with more often. But that would make it 48/50
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Every source I see is giving 2 seats to "other" parties. I'm not sure who that is and who they align with more often. But that would make it 48/50
    Bernie and Angus caucus with the dems, if it holds, 50/50.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:

independents. 1 from Maine - Angus King and Bernie who both caucus with Ds
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    mrussel1 said:

Dems Down 22,000 votes in NV with 72% reporting and if Libertarian voters turn out for Walker, he wins GA runoff, GOP would flip two seats and conceivably take the senate.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,287
    mrussel1 said:

Dems Down 22,000 votes in NV with 72% reporting and if Libertarian voters turn out for Walker, he wins GA runoff, GOP would flip two seats and conceivably take the senate.
    The problem in a GA runoff for Republicans will be the same problem they had two years ago.....Donald fucking Trump. lol. You know he will insert himself into that mess to help his candidate, especially if he actually announces his candidacy soon. Lol. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,013

It's actually gotta be considered one of the best midterms for a first term president in a reeeeeaaaaaally long time. 

lolmaga
    I would agree. First midterms typically don't go that well for most presidents. This has turned out better than most for the Dems.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

GA Libertarians didn't go red last time....

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

Yeah you're right.  D needs to win the GA seat to ensure 50/50, and therefore control.  

I wouldn't be so sure the libertarian vote is going to smooth over to Walker.  
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    mickeyrat said:

ohio isnt independent commission. giv, lt gov, majority leader of both chambers and minority leader of both chambers. thats the commission.

now the minority leaders MUST agree with map as drawn. if not map sticks for 4 yrs.

Both states passed anti gerrymandering referendums recently, think the spirit of what I said is true, NYS assembly listened to a Republican judge and redrew districts that favor the GOP in a blue state, while OH ignored the courts and drew a GOP map in a red state. Both cases, anti gerrymandering resolution passed by voters, both cases, pro GOP maps. And NYS looks like it will decide the majority in the house. 

NY could have played the same game as OH and sued the constitutionality of the referendum in federal court, which is what allowed OH to use what its state court said was illegal maps.

Post edited by Lerxst1992 on
  • Options
    According to the WashPo, their analysis of what is outstanding to be counted gives Masto the slight edge in winning.  So that's nice.  

By contrast, they give Lake the slight edge in AZ in the Gov race.  She's an interesting cat.  She was (and probably still is) a Democrat.  She's just a shameless TV opportunist.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

True to yours and russ’ point, but personally if Warnock needs to pull off another runoff miracle in a red lean state by preventing libertarians from voting GOP, it doesn’t seem like he would be favored. Not sure if the anti trump fever that helped him do it in 2000 will be there again.
  • Options
    yeah but....Walker

• Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,824
    The GQP really did miss a layup yesterday. Mid-term elections are usually good for the opposition party...add to that Biden's unpopularity and the current state of the economy, a red wave would have made sense.

But I think the GQP bought too much into their own tweets. They really thought the key issues were "wokeness," "forced gender-reassignment surgeries on five-year olds," and Covid lockdowns. I think The first two are just things they amplified to each other. And I don't think people were as unhappy about keeping kids at home during covid as they thought (or at the very least, were understanding that it was a very difficult time).

Turns out, the biggest issue was probably Roe being overturned. But Jan 6 may have been key as well. Election deniers did fairly poorly overall and people may be tiring of all the whining that these "alpha males" do.

For so long, Moscow Mitch's manipulation of the Supreme Court was handsomely rewarded and the conspiracy theories and legitimate coup attempt went unpunished. I feel like yesterday, some of that stuff finally came back to haunt them. And I never thought I'd say this, but I think all but the 250 people that follow him all over the country are tired of Trump and his whining. I think he's done. DeSantis is just as willing to be the head of a dictatorship, but maybe the cult factor will die down. And if nothing else I don't think he's indebted to Russia...
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,721
    OnWis97 said:
    The GQP really did miss a layup yesterday. Mid-term elections are usually good for the opposition party...add to that Biden's unpopularity and the current state of the economy, a red wave would have made sense.

But I think the GQP bought too much into their own tweets. They really thought the key issues were "wokeness," "forced gender-reassignment surgeries on five-year olds," and Covid lockdowns. I think The first two are just things they amplified to each other. And I don't think people were as unhappy about keeping kids at home during covid as they thought (or at the very least, were understanding that it was a very difficult time).

Turns out, the biggest issue was probably Roe being overturned. But Jan 6 may have been key as well. Election deniers did fairly poorly overall and people may be tiring of all the whining that these "alpha males" do.

For so long, Moscow Mitch's manipulation of the Supreme Court was handsomely rewarded and the conspiracy theories and legitimate coup attempt went unpunished. I feel like yesterday, some of that stuff finally came back to haunt them. And I never thought I'd say this, but I think all but the 250 people that follow him all over the country are tired of Trump and his whining. I think he's done. DeSantis is just as willing to be the head of a dictatorship, but maybe the cult factor will die down. And if nothing else I don't think he's indebted to Russia...

Good summation here, thanks OnWis.
    The control of congress is still up in the air but at least this "red wave" is not coming together like the MAGAs had hope for. 
    Feeling guardedly confident today.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    According to the WashPo, their analysis of what is outstanding to be counted gives Masto the slight edge in winning.  So that's nice.  

By contrast, they give Lake the slight edge in AZ in the Gov race.  She's an interesting cat.  She was (and probably still is) a Democrat.  She's just a shameless TV opportunist.  

But as a former democrat, why did she have to go full court election denial in a swing state that’s supposedly trending blue? Since FL OH and IA are all gone goodbye  for Dems , not sure where the dems can pick up states in the future for electoral collage and senate. Extremism still seems to work for the GOP, even in an election where Dems outperform expectations.

In those three former swing states, the Dems are gone, history, outta here, join the cult or be gone,  while in the new blue states, GA, AZ , NV WI, and even VA ;) the GOP apparently are still a force to be reckoned with. Does not give me a warm fuzzy feeling about senate and presidency in one year and 362 days.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    mrussel1 said:

But as a former democrat, why did she have to go full court election denial in a swing state that’s supposedly trending blue? Since FL OH and IA are all gone goodbye  for Dems , not sure where the dems can pick up states in the future for electoral collage and senate. Extremism still seems to work for the GOP, even in an election where Dems outperform expectations.

In those three former swing states, the Dems are gone, history, outta here, join the cult or be gone,  while in the new blue states, GA, AZ , NV WI, and even VA ;) the GOP apparently are still a force to be reckoned with. Does not give me a warm fuzzy feeling about senate and presidency in one year and 362 days.
    but in two years a few million more GenZ will be voting (and boomers dying)....and they don't vote red

• Options
    mrussel1 said:

She went full MAGA because that's how you win the primary.  She didn't really tack to the center like you would have expected, but she's pretty enough to overcome that strategy.  And that's the truth, that's why it's even close, because she is prettier than Hobbs.  I know that sounds terrible, but I think it's true.  

Center right candidates that don't seem crazy will always be a force for independents.  
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,299
    As it looks now the Democrats have to much ground to make up to keep control no? 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,629
    OnWis97 said:

I think Trump’s only gone when there’s broad rejection from republicans, and I don’t see that happening after 6+ years of maintaining all the logical fallacies and mental justifications to support him. The psychology says to stay committed to that way of thinking rather than acknowledging they were wrong. 

It would be different if Trump sat back and helped build homes for Habitat for Humanity, but he’s going to maintain that he’s leader of the party until he dies. 
  • Options
    As it looks now the Democrats have to much ground to make up to keep control no? 
    I don't think so....but we should know tonight

• Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,225
    mrussel1 said:

but in two years a few million more GenZ will be voting (and boomers dying)....and they don't vote red
    They just don't vote.  ;)
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,721
    Poncier said:
    mrussel1 said:

No? But you did wink, so I assume you're kidding.
    I heard they were very helpful in showing up for this election.  We need to encourage Gen Z  kids.  They are now our best hope, just as I said Gen x were 20 years ago or my mostly failed boomer generation was 100 years ago (although we did some things right). 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    mrussel1 said:

True to yours and russ’ point, but personally if Warnock needs to pull off another runoff miracle in a red lean state by preventing libertarians from voting GOP, it doesn’t seem like he would be favored. Not sure if the anti trump fever that helped him do it in 2000 will be there again.

he'll have Abrams focused on turnout for him. like last time.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    Poncier said:
    mrussel1 said:

I heard they were very helpful in showing up for this election.  We need to encourage Gen Z  kids.  They are now our best hope, just as I said Gen x were 20 years ago or my mostly failed boomer generation was 100 years ago (although we did some things right). 
    As a parent of GenZ I have been pleasantly surprised at how left leaning most of these kids are. Going off local acquaintances and my FB feed it amazes me how the children of rabid red meat GOP totally reject that line of thinking. Not in all cases but most for sure.

• Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,225
    brianlux said:
    Poncier said:
    mrussel1 said:

Only half kidding.
    Historically as a collective, young folks just don't turn out to vote in big numbers. This cycle their numbers seemed to improve, probably due to the Roe decision, but we'll see if that continues in future years.
    This weekend we rock Portland