The 30+ song set lists done for good?

Comments

• Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 11,046
    I don't mind the idea of 20-25 songs, and I certainly don't have to hear "Dirty Frank" or "Other Side" to have it be a good show

But, there are entire albums and portions of the bands career that get sacrificed with the new show length (2000-2009).  Songs like Life Wasted, WWS, I Am Mine, even The Fixer.... I could go on.  There are going to be great songs that were usually commonly played that will sadly go by the wayside if the setlists stay around 22 songs.  

So to clarify for myself, its not the lack of specific rarities or white whales, but overall lack of diversity that will drive me to travel to less shows
    Agree 100%. 
  • aisleseatsaisleseats Posts: 1,403
    I don't mind the idea of 20-25 songs, and I certainly don't have to hear "Dirty Frank" or "Other Side" to have it be a good show

But, there are entire albums and portions of the bands career that get sacrificed with the new show length (2000-2009).  Songs like Life Wasted, WWS, I Am Mine, even The Fixer.... I could go on.  There are going to be great songs that were usually commonly played that will sadly go by the wayside if the setlists stay around 22 songs.  

So to clarify for myself, its not the lack of specific rarities or white whales, but overall lack of diversity that will drive me to travel to less shows
    And this is why I don't think it's very smart of them to do this. When you reduce the number of songs played, you limit the potential for variety. When there's a lack of variety, the hardcore fans are going to go to fewer shows. And the hardcore fans are really their bread and butter. Let's face it, the person who's going to be excited to hear Even Flow or Alive isn't the person who's lining up for merch at 10a.
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,450
    Will less songs per night = more tour dates per year?

That would be a great trade off 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,124
    Will less songs per night = more tour dates per year?

That would be a great trade off 
    Not this year. High hopes for 2023!

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • devonfzdevonfz Posts: 172
    Plus the idea that only Even Flow or corduroy will get the crowd going is ridiculous they have dozens of other amazing hard rocking songs that aren't getting played such as go animal whipping spin the black circle MFC breaker fall grievance save you green disease comatose got some Johnny Guitar and I could go on and on then they have a ton of other songs such as faithful Lightyear's parting ways thin air breathe in hiding they aren't just getting rid of a couple covers and a couple shity songs here and there
    devonfz said:
    Plus the idea that only Even Flow or corduroy will get the crowd going is ridiculous they have dozens of other amazing hard rocking songs that aren't getting played such as go animal whipping spin the black circle MFC breaker fall grievance save you green disease comatose got some Johnny Guitar and I could go on and on then they have a ton of other songs such as faithful Lightyear's parting ways thin air breathe in hiding they aren't just getting rid of a couple covers and a couple shity songs here and there
    Johnny Guitar? 

Mike McCready's guitar playing during Evenflow is insane every single time. 

• on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,934
    It’s probably time we took a vote on if we want the 30+ song shows to return.  Then we can let the band know the results so they can adjust the set lists for the rest of the tour. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,891
    Johnny Guitar???

(In Obi Wan Kenobi voice) "That is a name I have not heard in quite some time...."
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 2,640
    devonfz said:
    Johnny Guitar? 

Lol.. well done.
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023 • Baltimore 2024

• CarryTheZeroCarryTheZero Posts: 2,809
    Way back to the '16 tour, I went to Jax with a buddy. I had a great time and so did he. When they played evenflow, he was blown away as was most of the crowd. At the same time, when they played Of The Earth and Ghost you could almost here a pin drop. The rarities only appease a small percentage of us while the vast majority enjoy the hits.
    I don't know where you were sitting, but I remember quite a bit of excitement when they busted out Ghost.
    It can feel different in different parts of the arena for sure. I was at Greenville ‘16, and in the upper deck opposite stage. I was super excited but people around me seemed bored (even during Vs.!). I know the floor was jazzed!

As for Jax, I was GA, right in front of Ed, three people back. We were losing our minds to Of the Earth, Rival, and Ghost! A whole lot of fun to see the spotlight on the ghost during the performance!  “That’s a friendly ghost!”

With a longer Setlist you can hit those rare songs and get variety for everyone. But, I’m cool for the shorter. Just excited for Vegas and whatever they play. Life is too short and I’m thankful for the band! 
  • devonfzdevonfz Posts: 172
    I threw in Johnny Guitar to see if anyone was paying attention:-)
  • CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Posts: 3,020
    If 10-12 songs are set in stone, then the other 10-12 HAVE to be changing up on a regular basis.  Shit, they played 94 different songs over the course of 3 shows in 2003 (included 11 covers, but still).  

As of now, through just 4 shows (if my math is correct), they have played 60 different originals (9 covers including Ed's presets). Nothing from Riot Act or Avocado. Only one song from Binaural, and 2 each from Backspacer and Lightning Bolt. 3 non PJ album songs (Long Road, Id, and SOLAT. 

As someone else mentioned, that's 1 song from 3 albums worth of songs. And albums that people feel strongly about.  

Quick Escape, Alive, Small Town, Porch, and Even Flow are the only songs to have been played at every show. 

I don't think they should be taking out Porch, Alive, Small Town and songs like that. I love those songs and I love seeing arenas go nuts when they are being played. And I want to hear some Gigaton songs as well. But I'm hopeful that they can mix it up and hit some of that 2000-2006 era as well. 
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,311
    I cannot understand anyone wanting less songs. I’m not insinuating anything negative towards the first few shows or people who said the shows were great. I just can’t understand choosing less songs. “More focused” “tighter”. That’s most rock shows because of a static set list. The sometimes sloppiness of a Pj show is because they were willing to try and play ANYTHING at any given time. Put me in the “more songs” camp any day.  
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,934
    nicknyr15 said:
    I cannot understand anyone wanting less songs. I’m not insinuating anything negative towards the first few shows or people who said the shows were great. I just can’t understand choosing less songs. “More focused” “tighter”. That’s most rock shows because of a static set list. The sometimes sloppiness of a Pj show is because they were willing to try and play ANYTHING at any given time. Put me in the “more songs” camp any day.  
    I don’t think I want less songs.  But I would prefer more focus on Pearl Jam than you usually get at a 3 hour baseball stadium show.  For instance… at Fenway in 2016 I don’t really need to see Kevin Youkilis on stage or have them bring up Tom Hamilton to play Draw The Line.  I would also have been fine with dropping 2 of the 3 encore covers.  It’s not that they don’t do them well but I just prefer tighter and more Pearl Jam centric set list.  But I also realize it’s not my band and they can do whatever they want and I will like it. 😁
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,526
    nicknyr15 said:
    I'm not sure how many WANT fewer songs, but are just looking at the potential silver lining of such an occurrence. Like I said before, one of my favourite bands, The Watchmen, play 21-25 songs per show. They have several staples they "have" to play at every show, and the rest are a toss up. You never know what those other songs are going to be, so to me, hearing a variety of 12-15 songs that might surprise me, I find more enticing than 20 songs I know will be played and hoping to hell I hear 1 or 2 I've never/rarely heard. I don't know, it ups the excitement factor; for me, anyway. 

But of course, all that being said, I'm not going to bitch if PJ play 4 hours if I'm in attendance. lol
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• Holy smokes - haven't thought of the watchmen since the 90s. "In the trees" is an all timer!

(2000) Mansfield I, Mansfield II (2003) Montreal (2005) Montreal, Ottawa (2006) Albany (2008) Montreal I + II (EV) (2022) Québec City

• nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,311
    I don’t know man. Looking back at set lists from 2006-2018 and it’s just no contest. I’m excited as anything for my two September shows but there is a weird feeling in my gut looking at these sets so far. 
    edited May 2022
    nicknyr15 said:
    I don’t know man. Looking back at set lists from 2006-2018 and it’s just no contest. I’m excited as anything for my two September shows but there is a weird feeling in my gut looking at these sets so far. 

Can't disagree... w/ no New England shows planned this year, I have zero PJ shows scheduled, and experiencing no FOMO whatsoever. If I hadn't burned some vacation time seeing a few different Tool shows earlier this year, I might have tried for MSG, but have no qualms about not being able to make it. 

I do look forward to seeing them again when I can, but I definitely don't feel the same urgency I did from 2010-2018. 
    Holy smokes - haven't thought of the watchmen since the 90s. "In the trees" is an all timer!
    haha. Just saw them live a few weeks ago, and an outdoor "block party" was just announced for The Watchmen/I Mother Earth/Bif Naked. that'll be awesome. 

www.headstonesband.com

• Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,251
    nicknyr15 said:
    I agree. Same here with excitement about two September shows but not am also in the camp of having trouble understanding people that want less songs. With the staples plus Gigaton songs it doesn’t leave a lot of room for so many great songs from great PJ albums. Just look at the stats someone posted earlier only 5 total songs from LB, Backspacer, Avocado, Riot Act and Binaural. 
  • vant0037vant0037 Posts: 6,109
    I don’t want less songs.  I’m just saying if given a choice between a 30 song set list that gets filled out with Backspacer songs, or into the wild songs or covers OR if they fill a set list with less songs but it’s a tighter set without Backspacer stuff or covers etc, I’m not sure the former 30 song set is really that much better.  It might feel more “epic,” but is it really?  There’s a meme for how I just asked that question lol
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2010-05-01 NOLA (Jazz Fest)
    2011-07-02 EV Minneapolis
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam
    2012-06-27 Amsterdam
    2013-07-19 Wrigley
    2013-11-21 San Diego
    2013-11-23 Los Angeles
    2013-11-24 Los Angeles
    2014-07-08 Leeds, UK
    2014-07-11 Milton Keynes, UK
    2014-10-09 Lincoln
    2014-10-19 St. Paul
    2014-10-20 Milwaukee
    2016-08-20 Wrigley 1
    2016-08-22 Wrigley 2
    2018-06-18 London 1
    2018-08-18 Wrigley 1
    2018-08-20 Wrigley 2
    2022-09-16 Nashville
    2023-08-31 St. Paul
    2023-09-02 St. Paul
    2023-09-05 Chicago 1
    2023-08-31 Wrigley 2
    2023-09-15 Fenway 1
  • Holy smokes - haven't thought of the watchmen since the 90s. "In the trees" is an all timer!
    haha. Just saw them live a few weeks ago, and an outdoor "block party" was just announced for The Watchmen/I Mother Earth/Bif Naked. that'll be awesome. 
    cool to see that they're still playing!

(2000) Mansfield I, Mansfield II (2003) Montreal (2005) Montreal, Ottawa (2006) Albany (2008) Montreal I + II (EV) (2022) Québec City

I've definitely landed on being glad they are still together, still alive, still playing and not wanting to squander these opportunities to see them. I wish the economics were different, I wish the locations were different, I wish the schedule were different, but I'm thankful for what we have. 

Holy smokes - haven't thought of the watchmen since the 90s. "In the trees" is an all timer!
    cool to see that they're still playing!
    yeah, they reunited in 2008 and play sporadically. Lead singer and guitarist put out a new record called Serlin Greaves Sad Songs For Sale recently. 

www.headstonesband.com

• Cool i'll check it out, thanks!

• CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,775
    The world is giving u less nowadays

go to supermarket, most aren’t raising prices…. Just repackaging …givin you less product

i didn’t feel less of anything going to the 1st 3 shows of the tour… they were truly excellent & maybe the best in over a decade for me

reading some comments, man lot of you are in fantasy land. Where AGE, wear n tear don’t exist. They are almost 60, covid has had an affect… maybe they are building it slowly or if this is IT… get over your selves & don’t miss the forest for the trees

I was at Spectrum 4, good show. 3 was better… and other less than 3 hour shows WAY better 
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,258
    edited May 2022

That’s going to be inevitable as any band grows. With 11 albums they’re only average 2 songs per album. Now throw in the fact it’s a Gigaton tour so there’s more than that album, popular b-sides or soundtracks, there’s bound to be a some albums that aren’t represented at all. I wouldn’t be surprised if at Sacramento next week we hear nothing from NC or Binaural. Other than playing 3+ hour shows every night, which very few bands do, it can’t be helped.
    CROJAM95 said:
    The world is giving u less nowadays

go to supermarket, most aren’t raising prices…. Just repackaging …givin you less product

i didn’t feel less of anything going to the 1st 3 shows of the tour… they were truly excellent & maybe the best in over a decade for me

reading some comments, man lot of you are in fantasy land. Where AGE, wear n tear don’t exist. They are almost 60, covid has had an affect… maybe they are building it slowly or if this is IT… get over your selves & don’t miss the forest for the trees

I was at Spectrum 4, good show. 3 was better… and other less than 3 hour shows WAY better 
    Who's in fantasy land? 

I see people talking about a different concert experience than we've come to expect from PJ, but if anyone's actually bitching or complaining about it, I missed those comments. 

Most if not everyone here seems to accept they are getting older, and are grateful they're still together and touring. 
  • lowbudgetlushlowbudgetlush Posts: 611
    rummy said:
    My favorite PJ show ever out of all the ones I’ve been to was actually a “greatest hits” set.  

Why?  
    Because it was probably the most on fire I’ve ever seen the band perform and the crowd was incredible.  It didn’t reach 3 hours.  Nobody in the building seemed to care that the Christmas single from 14 years ago wasn’t performed.   They were just locked in and everyone could tell.  

Just curious about what show you are referring to.
    Spectrum 2003. 
    I too was at this show. Fantastic crowd. I wouldn’t call that set a “greatest hits” show. I think most would love a set like that today. Also was 28 songs.