The 30+ song set lists done for good?

Jeremys SpokenJeremys Spoken Posts: 7,578
edited May 2022 in The Porch
Judging by the last two concerts….it seems so sadly…
2008 - MSG 6/24-6/25
2010 - Newark 5/18 MSG 5/21
2011 - PJ20 9/3-9/4
2012 - MIA Festival 9/2
2013 - Wrigley Field 7/19 Brooklyn 10/18-10/19 Philly 10/22
2015 - Colbert show - 9/23 Global Citizens Festival 9/26
2016 - Philly 4/28-4/29 MSG 5/1-5/2

Post edited by Jeremys Spoken on

Comments

• adamg5adamg5 Posts: 802
    I didn’t even notice 23 songs, nor cared in SD.  They kicked ass.
  • ForceofNature101ForceofNature101 Posts: 1,282
    Just got back from LA, honestly I didn't know the set was a few songs shorter than past tours until seeing it via text list.  It still feels like the "full experience", for lack of a better term
  • D-RodD-Rod Hamilton, Ontario Posts: 1,834
    Basically they took out the 5 cover songs and I’m good with that.  If I want to hear RITFW then I will go see Neil Young. 
    1996.....Toronto
    2005.....Hamilton
    2011.....Toronto N1, Toronto N2, Hamilton
    2013.....London, Buffalo
    2014.....Detroit
    2016.....Toronto N1 Toronto N2, Boston  N1, Boston N2, Chicago N1
    2018.....Seattle N1, Seattle N2
    2022.....San Diego, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Phoenix, Oakland N1, Oakland N2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto  
    2023.....Fort Worth N1, Fort Worth N2, Austin N1, Austin N2
    2024.....Las Vegas N1, Las Vegas N2, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Boston N1, Boston N2
    2025.....????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
  • JABKJABK Posts: 347
    D-Rod said:
    Basically they took out the 5 cover songs and I’m good with that.  If I want to hear RITFW then I will go see Neil Young. 
    I was just about to point this out...now they have more than enough great own songs.
  • iamloco724iamloco724 Posts: 1,441
    Even though I enjoy the covers I'm perfectly fine with that aspect, I just wish they'd add 5 originals in its place 
  • RobbertRobbert Rotterdam, the Netherlands Posts: 910
    Bring back the covers!!
  • fl247556fl247556 Posts: 287
    Yes jump to 25 songs minimum please 
    freddie vedder
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,429
    edited May 2022
    Edit: I am probably coming off as complaining here and that is not my intention. Just want to discuss that this is a pretty big change from the last decade of this is the path they are taking. 
    Post edited by PJNB on
  • aisleseatsaisleseats Posts: 1,403
    Yeah, I convinced multiple friends from other band communities to finally travel to see PJ this year after listening to me brag about their 30+ song sets for years. Now I look like an ass.  :D
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,124
    Don't know about for good or forever but apparently for now. If something has to go I'm glad it was the covers. 

RIP the Evening with Pearl Jam era, 2013-2018

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
    Yeah, I convinced multiple friends from other band communities to finally travel to see PJ this year after listening to me brag about their 30+ song sets for years. Now I look like an ass.  :D
    Lots of changes this year. Platinum tickets as well. Used to be able to say all tickets were face. There is a huge shift with this band whether people want to admit it or not. 

This might be premature but it does sadden me if we no longer get the marathon shows anymore. I have been to a handful of shows that were 35 plus songs. This is a huge change from that and well worth a discussion on. 
  • mrmcqueenmrmcqueen Canada Posts: 23
    I noticed the same thing in San Diego, and then quickly checked the LA1 setlist to see if SD was an anomaly, while EV warmed up his voice for the long-awaited tour (despite just coming off a few solo shows); sadly, it wasn't. The Stones are 20 years older, and can get 17 hits out each night, which is interesting. If you go back to 2012, the Isle of Wight setlist was just 24 songs, for example, but the shows went to 30 songs in Berlin that summer (great shows, btw!) -- pre Lightning Bolt release.  That said, Isle of Wright was a festival, so a shorter list was to be expected.  Having played 306 different covers over the years, it seems crazy to think that they'd all be cut just because someone in the band doesn't want to play as long each night; it was an ominous sign when the start time suddenly moved back 25 minutes to 8:50pm. While blamed on traffic, 8:50 happened to also be the start time again in LA. The show length isn't likely a function of COVID protocols, as they're staying clear of fans at the rail, understandably. It can't be that we all were spoiled for far too long, can it? 

2006: Toronto #1; 2009: Toronto; 2011: Toronto #1; 2012: Berlin x2; 2013: London,Pittsburgh, Buffalo, LA #2, Oakland, Vancouver; 2014: Milan, St.Louis, Detroit, Moline; 2015: Santiago,Buenos Aires, Porto Alegre, São Paulo, Mexico City; 2016: Miami, Raleigh, Columbia, Toronto x2, Fenway x2; 2018: Prague, Krakow, Barcelona, Chicago #1, Boston #2; 2022: San Diego, Oakland x2, Fresno, Sacramento, Las Vegas, Berlin, Zurich, Copenhagen, Amsterdam I, Amsterdam II, Quebec City, Hamilton, Toronto, New York City

• 3days3days Posts: 1,158
    I honestly don't mind the shorter sets... After seeing some great Pearl Jam shows in 2016 (Lexington and Wrigley 2), I thought the shows were less tight in 2018 (Seattle and Wrigley). Not bad shows, just not as good as 2 years prior.

Why? Age? Maybe, but I doubt it... I think sometimes the band has stretched itself too far: long sets, entertaining song requests, having special guests on stage, incorporating local geography into lyrics, etc. None of that is bad, and I respect them as artists, and performers, and decision makers. I just wonder if sometimes the extracurricular stuff and the elongated sets detract from the actual music.

• BudTBudT Posts: 60
    Having an opener again will change things. 
    But the first two shows are generally not marathons. I think we aren't used to an Album tour anymore. The sets grow as they go. Shows have been few and far between for me lately(I've seen almost 50)  ----I haven't seen them in an arena in almost 10 years. Now they are back indoors where they play the best gigs and you'll see the sets grow up to 28/29 as the tour moves along. I think.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,837
    BudT said:
    Having an opener again will change things. 
    But the first two shows are generally not marathons. I think we aren't used to an Album tour anymore. The sets grow as they go. Shows have been few and far between for me lately(I've seen almost 50)  ----I haven't seen them in an arena in almost 10 years. Now they are back indoors where they play the best gigs and you'll see the sets grow up to 28/29 as the tour moves along. I think.
    This is what I am hoping for.   But their tours are so damn short that there isn’t much time to ramp up.

I had a feeling those beach shows were going to be indicative of this year’s tour and so I didn’t make a huge effort to make a bunch of shows work.  Figured I would wait and see. 
  • EW76468EW76468 Posts: 8
    The band hasn’t toured in 4 years and are only two sets into this tour. I think it is too early to make any generalizations about the tour or the band. So, relax. 

If it is the end of marathon shows, then so be it. Things change, people change, we all get older. After all we’ve been through it’s just nice to have a PJ show to go to. If you don’t like it no one is forcing you to attend.
    EW76468 said:
    The band hasn’t toured in 4 years and are only two sets into this tour. I think it is too early to make any generalizations about the tour or the band. So, relax. 

If it is the end of marathon shows, then so be it. Things change, people change, we all get older. After all we’ve been through it’s just nice to have a PJ show to go to. If you don’t like it no one is forcing you to attend.
    So don’t discuss it? This is a drastic change from how they have been playing. People are going to talk about how they feel about it. It’s ok not to be super pumped about 22 songs a night. 
    The band came on stage 1hr and 20 minutes after Josh was done playing. What a wait that must be in the pit. They are not cutting much on the first two sets. They can play longer the opening band has nothing to do with this decision imo. 

I do like that Ed comes out for a solo song each night so far. With Pearl Jam almost coming out 2hrs after that though it is a huge wait for people to hear one song so I am not sure it will do what I think they are intending it to do and get peoples butts in their seats for Josh. 
  • wall232wall232 Posts: 1,346
    I was concerned once it was no longer an evening with Pearl Jam. Had a feeling that with an opener it was possible that we would see shorter setlist, and so far that's been the case. I can see them adding a few songs as the tour moves forward but maybe not 30. 
    NYPJ
  • THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,870
    PJNB said:
    The band came on stage 1hr and 20 minutes after Josh was done playing. What a wait that must be in the pit. They are not cutting much on the first two sets. They can play longer the opening band has nothing to do with this decision imo. 

I do like that Ed comes out for a solo song each night so far. With Pearl Jam almost coming out 2hrs after that though it is a huge wait for people to hear one song so I am not sure it will do what I think they are intending it to do and get peoples butts in their seats for Josh. 
    You don’t even make any sense. Where do you get 1 hour and 20 minute wait between josh and the band coming on stage?  People on this board complaining about only getting 2 hour sets and shorter shows is odd to me. One person on here said they were selling their tickets to Atleast 2 of their shows cause SD set list was only 24 songs. They bought tix for 5 shows but are scaling down, ooooh the horror. 
    edited May 2022
    PJNB said:

You don’t even make any sense. Where do you get 1 hour and 20 minute wait between josh and the band coming on stage?  People on this board complaining about only getting 2 hour sets and shorter shows is odd to me. One person on here said they were selling their tickets to Atleast 2 of their shows cause SD set list was only 24 songs. They bought tix for 5 shows but are scaling down, ooooh the horror. 
    You are right it was more like an hour after Josh was done. I was using the start time of Joshs set not the end. I also thought they would start earlier than San Diego but the start times were very similar. 

How is it odd to you people are talking about the shorter sets? Do you really think going from 30 songs a night to 22 is not noteworthy enough for a peaceful discussion? 
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    2 disc boots will fit better in my Case Logic! 
    www.cluthelee.com
    edited May 2022
    The 2018 tour kicked off with some shorter than usual sets too in Amsterdam. They ended up playing more as the tour went on but you could definitely tell the winds were changing as far as average length of sets go. Berlin was 27 songs I think and it was a fantastic show so while number of songs do matter the songs they choose matter more imo. 

I am hoping as the tour progresses the sets will be in that Berlin range and they play a 30 song set at least once out of the 40 or so shows they are doing. If someone wants to go to less shows because of the sets not varying as much as they usually do (by default since number of hits and Gigaton every night forces this) then so be it. That will not ruin my experience on this forum or any show. 

Everyone I talked to that went to the show last night had a fantastic time. Seemed like a great song selection and lively crowd and I am very interested in what they bring on the last 3 shows this leg. 

Post edited by PJNB on
  • OceansJennyOceansJenny Posts: 3,393
    I was going to complain that the band went on late even without an opener but they are starting a full hour later than 2018. 

When was the last time they had an opener and when did they typically the stage?
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
    edited May 2022
    I was going to complain that the band went on late even without an opener but they are starting a full hour later than 2018. 

When was the last time they had an opener and when did they typically the stage?
    I think they have for NA at least always come on between 8:30 and 8:50pm for arena shows the last couple of tours. Ballparks were different. 
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,837
    PJNB said:
    PJNB said:

You are right it was more like an hour after Josh was done. I was using the start time of Joshs set not the end. I also thought they would start earlier than San Diego but the start times were very similar. 

How is it odd to you people are talking about the shorter sets? Do you really think going from 30 songs a night to 22 is not noteworthy enough for a peaceful discussion? 
    Yeah, don’t understand why we can’t talk about this stuff, or how someone who is used to 30 songs a night with a lot of variety not wanting to travel and see the band five times if there are 8-10 less songs played and less variety.   Seems fair to me.

I wouldn’t want to see five U2 shows where they play 22 songs a night and don’t switch it up too much, but would love to see one or two.  
  • THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,870
    They have gone on at 8:50 for years
  • LiftedLifted Posts: 1,833
    PJNB said:

Lol. Right....some of these posts are pretty pathetic. And rather ignorant regarding the history of the band's tours I might add. SD was 15 minutes shy of 3 hours...wtf more do people want? LA was 2 hours and 20. That's plenty of time for a concert, and also not completely out of the ordinary for pj. These 3+ hours shows being a regular thing for all tour stops only really happened for a couple of the more recent tours. 2.5 hours is pretty standard for PJ. 

The LA setlist looked great to me. Most of the Pearl Jam shows I've been to where they've played 3 hours or more, and I've been to a bunch, would've probably been better if they cut out some songs. They're essentially cutting out the 2nd encore of slower/acoustic songs (that has been a thing in recent years) and going straight for the heavy hitters.

I might be disappointed if they played for only 2 hours and included a bunch of slow acoustic ditties, but so far that doesn't seem to be the case. I hope it continues and pisses off a bunch of nerds holding camden and msg tickets....maybe they will become more accessible for the rest of us.
  • OceansJennyOceansJenny Posts: 3,393
    Then what’s the problem? Are they ending earlier? Is Ed talking more? Are they playing slower?
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
    Lifted said:
    PJNB said:

Lol. Right....some of these posts are pretty pathetic. And rather ignorant regarding the history of the band's tours I might add. SD was 15 minutes shy of 3 hours...wtf more do people want? LA was 2 hours and 20. That's plenty of time for a concert, and also not completely out of the ordinary for pj. These 3+ hours shows being a regular thing for all tour stops only really happened for a couple of the more recent tours. 2.5 hours is pretty standard for PJ. 

The LA setlist looked great to me. Most of the Pearl Jam shows I've been to where they've played 3 hours or more, and I've been to a bunch, would've probably been better if they cut out some songs. They're essentially cutting out the 2nd encore of slower/acoustic songs (that has been a thing in recent years) and going straight for the heavy hitters.

I might be disappointed if they played for only 2 hours and included a bunch of slow acoustic ditties, but so far that doesn't seem to be the case. I hope it continues and pisses off a bunch of nerds holding camden and msg tickets....maybe they will become more accessible for the rest of us.
    I like the slower songs. I am a nerd though.