The 30+ song set lists done for good?

1234568»

Comments

• PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,899
    edited May 2022
    rummy said:
    My favorite PJ show ever out of all the ones I’ve been to was actually a “greatest hits” set.  

Why?  
    Because it was probably the most on fire I’ve ever seen the band perform and the crowd was incredible.  It didn’t reach 3 hours.  Nobody in the building seemed to care that the Christmas single from 14 years ago wasn’t performed.   They were just locked in and everyone could tell.  

Just curious about what show you are referring to.
    Spectrum 2003. 
    I too was at this show. Fantastic crowd. I wouldn’t call that set a “greatest hits” show. I think most would love a set like that today. Also was 28 songs.
    That was a fantastic show. I mean, FANTASTIC. The energy between band and crowd was off the charts. Even my cousin who saw them for the first time that night couldn’t believe how great that show was. 
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • lowbudgetlushlowbudgetlush Posts: 611
    devonfz said:
    Plus the idea that only Even Flow or corduroy will get the crowd going is ridiculous they have dozens of other amazing hard rocking songs that aren't getting played such as go animal whipping spin the black circle MFC breaker fall grievance save you green disease comatose got some Johnny Guitar and I could go on and on then they have a ton of other songs such as faithful Lightyear's parting ways thin air breathe in hiding they aren't just getting rid of a couple covers and a couple shity songs here and there
    You lost me at Johnny guitar. I think that is one of their worst songs ever. This just goes to show that they are in an impossible situation. Lol!
  • MM70435MM70435 Posts: 281
    devonfz said:
    I threw in Johnny Guitar to see if anyone was paying attention:-)
    Now that really made me laugh out loud!  When I read your original post I was with you with that great list of songs, but was like the other replies and went, Johnny Guitar??  I'm still laughing at that!
    00 - Atlanta                                            10 - MSG I&II    
    03 - Birmingham, Atlanta                       22 - L̶a̶s̶ ̶V̶e̶g̶a̶s̶, Camden, Nashville   
    04 - Asheville, Kissimmee                     23 -  Ft Worth II                                                                                
    08 - Tampa, Columbia                           24 -  Philadelphia I&II, Baltimore
    09 - Atlanta I&II (EV)
                    " if hope could grow from dirt like me. It can be done.
  • mrmcqueenmrmcqueen Canada Posts: 23
    nicknyr15 said:
    I cannot understand anyone wanting less songs. I’m not insinuating anything negative towards the first few shows or people who said the shows were great. I just can’t understand choosing less songs. “More focused” “tighter”. That’s most rock shows because of a static set list. The sometimes sloppiness of a Pj show is because they were willing to try and play ANYTHING at any given time. Put me in the “more songs” camp any day.  
    I'm with you

2006: Toronto #1; 2009: Toronto; 2011: Toronto #1; 2012: Berlin x2; 2013: London,Pittsburgh, Buffalo, LA #2, Oakland, Vancouver; 2014: Milan, St.Louis, Detroit, Moline; 2015: Santiago,Buenos Aires, Porto Alegre, São Paulo, Mexico City; 2016: Miami, Raleigh, Columbia, Toronto x2, Fenway x2; 2018: Prague, Krakow, Barcelona, Chicago #1, Boston #2; 2022: San Diego, Oakland x2, Fresno, Sacramento, Las Vegas, Berlin, Zurich, Copenhagen, Amsterdam I, Amsterdam II, Quebec City, Hamilton, Toronto, New York City

• rummyrummy Posts: 4,436
    Not concerned about the loss of obscure tracks but the fact that they didn’t play Go, Last Exit, or Hail Hail during the first leg (yes, maybe they were saving them for Sac or Vegas) is a concern. Those tunes should be played every other night at the very least!
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,770
    Johnny Guitar is a good song
    I miss igotid88
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,392
    igotid88 said:
    Said no one ever.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • ChoccoloccotideChoccoloccotide A grass shack nailed to a pinewood floor Posts: 810
    mcgruff10 said:
    igotid88 said:
    Said no one ever.  
    Johnny Guitar is a good song.
  • Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    on2legs said:
    It’s probably time we took a vote on if we want the 30+ song shows to return.  Then we can let the band know the results so they can adjust the set lists for the rest of the tour. 
    I don’t.

unless we get a 6:00pm start. It’s officially an aging fan base. You can beat the dinner rush at restaurants at like 4:30 so you can even eat first , and it may be light still when you drive home 
  • ForceofNature101ForceofNature101 Posts: 1,282
    edited May 2022
    nicknyr15 said:
    I cannot understand anyone wanting less songs. I’m not insinuating anything negative towards the first few shows or people who said the shows were great. I just can’t understand choosing less songs. “More focused” “tighter”. That’s most rock shows because of a static set list. The sometimes sloppiness of a Pj show is because they were willing to try and play ANYTHING at any given time. Put me in the “more songs” camp any day.  

I think it is a complex situation so I take the current ages and stamina physically of the band members into account.  I want less songs if it means the dudes who are in their late 50's and 60's are able to deliver the goods in the way they feel they are, in contrast to if they felt like the 30+ songs they did in the past, were a negative aspect on their stamina nowadays

I am all for them doing as many songs as they feel they can realistically do in the highest quality possible - that is a setlist that ends in the mid 20s like the last few shows, bring it IMHO

Post edited by ForceofNature101 on
  • droptheleash9droptheleash9 Posts: 1,430
    nicknyr15 said:

I think it is a complex situation so I take the current ages and stamina physically of the band members into account.  I want less songs if it means the dudes who are in their late 50's and 60's are able to deliver the goods in the way they feel they are, in contrast to if they felt like the 30+ songs they did in the past, were a negative aspect on their stamina nowadays

I am all for them doing as many songs as they feel they can realistically do in the highest quality possible - that is a setlist that ends in the mid 20s like the last few shows, bring it IMHO

I generally agree with your points here. The band can do whatever they want - we’re not entitled to anything. That said, 22 songs isn’t mid-20s. I think there would be far fewer complaints on this forum about show length if the sets were shortened from 32-33 songs to 26-27. None of the shows on this tour were that length. Obviously we all still love this band but it’s certainly more than fair to have questions about the fact that fans are getting a very different product on this tour then they’ve come to expect. 

I’m in the boat that I’m just grateful the band is still together and still touring (hit both LA shows and they were awesome!) but I definitely understand the arguments on both sides of this issue.
  • GibsonGibson Posts: 2,633
    edited May 2022
    I do love -- and will miss - the 30+ song sets. What I will miss even more are the rare songs that the boys can sprinkle into shows with the extra setlist room. I know I'm speaking from a high horse, but part of the thrill in each show (for me) was not knowing what was coming next. It appears those days are relatively gone. 

I'll still enjoy the shows, but it will take some adjusting on my part. That said, you won't hear me bitching and moaning during the shows about selling out and all that other jazz.
    Post edited by Gibson on
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024: Seattle 1&2, Noblesville, Wrigley 1&2