The 30+ song set lists done for good?

Comments

• I keep thinking how confused i'd be to be at these shows and they are only doing one encore.  That first encore break has been basically the halfway point of the show for a long time. 
  • cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,715
    Ed could also still be recovering from COVID physically. People I have spoken with folks that feel very tired several months after recovery. Pacing himself through the tour to get back into shape. 
    I'll come out and say it... Smoking for thirty years, getting covid, pushing sixty and Ed using his voice extensively doesn't sound like a recipe for thirty or more songs a night. :-/

Hopefully I am wrong and am so appreciative for what the band has given to us and continues to give to us.
    You’re absolutely correct.  Hopefully he’s not a long hauler.  Former smoker long ago, covid for 6 weeks in February into March 2020 and I still can’t breath properly.  Cardiologist says it may never be normal.  

With shorter set lists it gives me more leverage when suggesting we travel to more shows.  Always look for the positive!  
  • Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,814
    4 shows in - 1 total song from Binaural, Riot Act and Avocado combined 

Rarest song so far is Leash or Wash

The shows have been great, don’t get me wrong, but the days of chasing multiple arenas to get a white whale are over, at least for now
    This really can’t be impacting the majority of people. This is a small subset of people. 
    Yes, it only affects the somewhat crazy ones (I am included in this).  That excitement has left to some degree and maybe it’s time to not be so crazy.  I’ll never just stop going all together, but maybe it’s a good time to scale things back.
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
    2024: Las Vegas I / Las Vegas II / New York City I / New York City II / Philly I / Philly II / Baltimore
  • RiotAct10RiotAct10 Posts: 1,618

I don't believe this is quite accurate:
    Leash 129
    Wash 91

Rarer songs so far include:
    Amongst The Waves 51
    Of The Girl 51
    Sleeping By Myself 21
    Low Light 76
    words seem so out of place.

8.21.00 Columbus | 6.24.03 Columbus | 7.9.03 NYC | 10.2.04 Toledo | 9.11.05 Kitchener | 5.20.06 Cleveland | 8.5.07 Chicago | 5.6.10 Columbus | 5.7.10 Noblesville | 5.9.10 Cleveland | 9.3.11 East Troy | 9.4.11 East Troy | 7.19.13 Chicago | 10.11.13 Pittsburgh | 10.1.14 Cincinnati | 4.8.16 Ft. Lauderdale | 4.9.16 Miami | 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle | 9.26.21 Dana Point | 10.1.21 Dana Point | 10.2.21 Dana Point | 9.16.22 Nashville | 9.17.22 Louisville | 9.18.22 St. Louis | 9.2.23 St. Paul | 9.15.23 Ft. Worth | 6.22.24 Dublin | 8.26.24 Noblesville
    6.26.11 Detroit (EdVed) | 9.23.17 Louisville (EdVed) | 9.25.21 Dana Point (EdVed) | 10.01.22 Dana Point (EdVed) | 2.6.22 Newark (EdVed)
    4 shows in - 1 total song from Binaural, Riot Act and Avocado combined 

The shows have been great, don’t get me wrong, but the days of chasing multiple arenas to get a white whale are over, at least for now
    This really can’t be impacting the majority of people. This is a small subset of people. 
    Yes, it only affects the somewhat crazy ones (I am included in this).  That excitement has left to some degree and maybe it’s time to not be so crazy.  I’ll never just stop going all together, but maybe it’s a good time to scale things back.
    I am probably in the same boat. On the one hand, Taylor Hawkins did kind of make me wake up to the fact that we aren't guaranteed anything, each show and tour could be their last, so I plan on seeing them when I can. On the other hand, my days of jet setting cross country may be over. With all that said, I am very much looking forward to my 3 show stretch in the fall, and I am very encouraged by the fact that the fanviews are consistently showing people who are actually going to these shows, are all reporting a great time.

8.21.00 Columbus | 6.24.03 Columbus | 7.9.03 NYC | 10.2.04 Toledo | 9.11.05 Kitchener | 5.20.06 Cleveland | 8.5.07 Chicago | 5.6.10 Columbus | 5.7.10 Noblesville | 5.9.10 Cleveland | 9.3.11 East Troy | 9.4.11 East Troy | 7.19.13 Chicago | 10.11.13 Pittsburgh | 10.1.14 Cincinnati | 4.8.16 Ft. Lauderdale | 4.9.16 Miami | 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle | 9.26.21 Dana Point | 10.1.21 Dana Point | 10.2.21 Dana Point | 9.16.22 Nashville | 9.17.22 Louisville | 9.18.22 St. Louis | 9.2.23 St. Paul | 9.15.23 Ft. Worth | 6.22.24 Dublin | 8.26.24 Noblesville
    6.26.11 Detroit (EdVed) | 9.23.17 Louisville (EdVed) | 9.25.21 Dana Point (EdVed) | 10.01.22 Dana Point (EdVed) | 2.6.22 Newark (EdVed)
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,429
    Even with less songs I will be catching this band as much as I can and look forward to my shows this year even more with all of the positive reviews coming back from people that I know. 
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,087
    Are they playing the songs at the proper speeds?  I listened to two of the shows and they sounded good and not sped up.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,837
    I am converted.  23 songs was a great show last night and left totally satisfied. 
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,124
    I was salty about the way the Baltimore cancellation was communicated and how Ed's tour seemed to take priority over making good on the 2020 shows. By the time we got an announcement, it was pretty much impossible for me to make any of the May shows due to a busy time at work and prior commitments. But I've cooled off and am excited about the fall. Will probably be only able to do MSG and Ottawa but that'll be enough if so. 

High hopes for a big year in 2023. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,117
    edited May 2022
    RiotAct10 said:

Leash 129
    Wash 91

Amongst The Waves 51
    Of The Girl 51
    Sleeping By Myself 21
    Low Light 76
    You might be correct. But you don't seem to be factoring in time. 

Not counting the "strong" return of Leash during the 2006 tour -- how much has it been played in 2007 and forward compared to Lowlight?
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • pbultimatepbultimate Posts: 612
    edited May 2022
    Dropping e flow, rvm and porch should allow 6 additional songs to get a turn. 
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,392
    edited May 2022
    The greatest show I've ever witnessed was 26 songs: MSG 2 1998.  I think the band knows what they are doing and it sounds like the people attending the shows are having a great time.  However the lack of a second encore confuses me.  
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • PSUS2HPSUS2H USA Posts: 2,145
    Judging by the last two concerts….it seems so sadly…
    You're only going to see these at stadium shows or shows that are PJ only... I dont expect a long set in an arena with an opening band.  Those 30+ song sets had the band taking the stage an hour earlier when it happened. 
    Pittsburgh, PA September 28, 2005 || Washington, DC June 22, 2008 || Barstow, VA May 13, 2010 || Seattle, WA  August 10, 2018 || Dana Point, CA September 29, 2018 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 28, 2019 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 25, 2021 (EV) || Dana Point, CA October 1, 2021 || Dana Point, CA October 2, 2021 || Chicago, IL August 29, 2024 
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,680
    mcgruff10 said:
    The greatest show I've ever witnessed was 26 songs: MSG 2 1998.  I think the band knows what they are doing and it sounds like the people attending the shows are having a great time.  However the lack of a second encore confuses me.  
    IMO the greatest PJ show of all time (I was not there). 
  • JojoRiceJojoRice Posts: 4,207
    I'd add Elderly Woman, DTE, & Corduroy to that list as well. 
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • Devil's advocate here....i have lots of friends that are seeing pj for the first time in Québec City this fall. They would all lose their minds hearing those tracks :)

(2000) Mansfield I, Mansfield II (2003) Montreal (2005) Montreal, Ottawa (2006) Albany (2008) Montreal I + II (EV) (2022) Québec City

• pbultimatepbultimate Posts: 612
    JojoRice said:
    I'd add Elderly Woman, DTE, & Corduroy to that list as well. 
    But those are normal length songs.
  • PB11041PB11041 Posts: 2,805
    RiotAct10 said:

Leash 129
    Wash 91

Amongst The Waves 51
    Of The Girl 51
    Sleeping By Myself 21
    Low Light 76
    Have to look at this based on probability too, not just raw net number.  Wash has been around and played live since 1991.  It was played 33 times in '91 and 31 times in '92.  And that is known setlists as many 91s and a few 92s are missing.  So of the 96 times it has been played (not sure where 91 came assuming stat tracker which is innacurate) 64 happened before 1993.  since vs was released the odds of seeing Wash are spectacularly low.

Post 2003 tour Of the Girl is certainly rare, but wash has a near decade head start on the song.

Amongst the Waves and Sleeping have not been around long enough to really be rare.  Since their release the former has been played 50x to Wash 15x and the latter 21x to Wash 11x.

Lowlight is played with incredible relative frequency since 2006.  
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,124
    Devil's advocate here....i have lots of friends that are seeing pj for the first time in Québec City this fall. They would all lose their minds hearing those tracks :)
    Yep. The dropping of classic songs because superfans have heard them too many times is not something I would support. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,526
    I think I said this in another thread, and this will sound like an odd opinion, but I think the shows previously could end up too long. My other favourite bands typically do anywhere between 20 and 26 or so songs. That means their setlists are varied GREATLY from show to show with a few staples at each. I like the unpredictability aspect of this. Sometimes being surprised at a song not being played makes me appreciate the ones they did play even more. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• edoconedocon Posts: 324
    I think I said this in another thread, and this will sound like an odd opinion, but I think the shows previously could end up too long. My other favourite bands typically do anywhere between 20 and 26 or so songs. That means their setlists are varied GREATLY from show to show with a few staples at each. I like the unpredictability aspect of this. Sometimes being surprised at a song not being played makes me appreciate the ones they did play even more. 
    I agree. The 30+ song shows can meander too much, lose focus and precision. The LA shows on this tour had a flow and "tightness" that reminds me of the Yield tour in '98, including the energy with which Ed is singing every song. He must feel some sense of relief looking down at the setlist after 2 hours and knowing there's only 3 or 4 songs left to perform instead of 10-14. I certainly didn't come away feeling that any of the shows on this tour were too short, like I have at most every RHCP concert I've attended.
    PB11041 said:
    RiotAct10 said:

Leash 129
    Wash 91

Amongst The Waves 51
    Of The Girl 51
    Sleeping By Myself 21
    Low Light 76
    Have to look at this based on probability too, not just raw net number.  Wash has been around and played live since 1991.  It was played 33 times in '91 and 31 times in '92.  And that is known setlists as many 91s and a few 92s are missing.  So of the 96 times it has been played (not sure where 91 came assuming stat tracker which is innacurate) 64 happened before 1993.  since vs was released the odds of seeing Wash are spectacularly low.

Post 2003 tour Of the Girl is certainly rare, but wash has a near decade head start on the song.

Amongst the Waves and Sleeping have not been around long enough to really be rare.  Since their release the former has been played 50x to Wash 15x and the latter 21x to Wash 11x.

Lowlight is played with incredible relative frequency since 2006.  
    Fair enough. Where are you getting your stats? Yes I was using Stat Tracker. I am not able to pull up pjdb.net, is it still around?

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,526
    you'd have to take the number of times a given song was played and divide it by the number of shows since the song's release to get the true percentage of possible times played, otherwise it's comparing avocadoes to even flows. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,821
    They have gone on at 8:50 for years

In Cincinnati 10/1/2014, they went on closer to 8:30 and that was a bit delayed due to the venue having only one entrance for everyone to go into.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • jenjen5769jenjen5769 Posts: 108
    edited May 2022
    JimmyV said:
    Devil's advocate here....i have lots of friends that are seeing pj for the first time in Québec City this fall. They would all lose their minds hearing those tracks :)
    Yep. The dropping of classic songs because superfans have heard them too many times is not something I would support. 
    Agree. I was at the Ten show in Philly 2016 and I think the place was going ape-shit crazy because every single person in that arena knew every song on that album, whether it was a casual fan or superfan. Have to keep the classics. 

Also agree with whoever said that PJ is reaching legacy status; I can see many ppl wanting to experience them before they can't. I think Taylor Hawkins was an unfortunate slap of reality that at any time this could be their last show. I'm grateful for any show at all. Just want the guys to stay healthy and touring. 
    Post edited by jenjen5769 on
  • Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,821
    Well, we now know that the first leg bootlegs will debut on SiriusXM at 6pm ET and 9pm ET.

So it's a safe bet the rest of the year will be under three hours.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • jimjam1982jimjam1982 Posts: 1,400
    After making 3 out of this tour and 3 out of 4 in 2021 it seems the difference is Ed talks a ton and the jam sessions/solos are now every other song and last forever. Bordering on too long for many of them.

I'd like to see them get to 27 or 28 on the regular with a 30 plus banger being more rare or a stadium show. A minor reduction in excessive solos and taking the stage 10 minutes earlier lands you there.

They sound great though and setlists variety have come a long way quickly from the first 2 shows and 2021
  • elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,365
    Like Kramer’s says….”sometimes it’s enough and I just wanna get some sleep”. This is how I feel sometimes towards the end of a show.
  • The_Giant_MidgetThe_Giant_Midget Los Angeles Posts: 574
    after seeing both LA shows i must say i personally really don't notice it's shorter, the shows were so good and to me anything over 2 hours is gravy. i will say the only thing that creeps in your mind is you no longer get the excitement of which rarity theyll whip out for the encore. they seem to be playing a few of the same greatest hits nightly so maybe if they change that up and start the encore out like they used to do it'll please everyone. plus id be shocked if they don’t play over 25 songs a few times during this leg of the tour. 
    Beacon '08
    Philly 2-4 '09
    Newark '10
    MSG 1+2 '10
    E.V. Beacon 1+2 '11
    Made in America Festival '12
    Worcester 1+2 '13
    Brooklyn 1+2 '13
    Global Citizens Festival '15
    MSG 1+2 '16
    Fenway Park 1+2 '16
    Ohana '17
    Home Shows 1+2 '18
    Ohana '18
    Ohana '19
    Sea Hear Now '21
    Ohana '21
    LA 1+2 '22
    Austin 1+2 '23
    Ohana '23
    Vegas 1+2 '24
    LA 1+2 '24
    MSG 1+2 '24
  • devonfzdevonfz Posts: 172
    The four shows this year and the Ohana 3 all have had the basically the same variety of songs played haven't added it up yet but besides gigaton every night they basically are playing given to fly DTE corduroy Evenflo alive porch daughter better man at Ohana my personal favorite for all three nights was I am mine and in San Diego my highlight was amongst the waves I just would like a little more variety too I mean it seems like there's maybe one or two songs a night off the beaten path of what they're playing which is fine the shows were amazing the band is as tight as ever but it makes it tough to justify going to multiple shows