The 30+ song set lists done for good?

Comments

• JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,124
    The time the band has spent onstage doesn't seem to mesh with the number of songs being played. Is Ed talking (coughcoughtakingabreakcoughcough) after most songs?

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • aurelgugusaurelgugus Posts: 499
    PJNB said:
    The 2018 tour kicked off with some shorter than usual sets too in Amsterdam. They ended up playing more as the tour went on but you could definitely tell the winds were changing as far as average length of sets go. Berlin was 27 songs I think and it was a fantastic show so while number of songs do matter the songs they choose matter more imo. 

I am hoping as the tour progresses the sets will be in that Berlin range and they play a 30 song set at least once out of the 40 or so shows they are doing. If someone wants to go to less shows because of the sets not varying as much as they usually do (by default since number of hits and Gigaton every night forces this) then so be it. That will not ruin my experience on this forum or any show. 

Everyone I talked to that went to the show last night had a fantastic time. Seemed like a great song selection and lively crowd and I am very interested in what they bring on the last 3 shows this leg. 

It seems that almost everyone forgot what happened during the first part of the 2018 European leg, I am glad I’m not alone.
    2012 : Amsterdam 2
    2014 : Amsterdam 1&2, Milan, Berlin, Werchter
    2018 : Amsterdam 1&2, Pinkpop, London 1, Berlin, Werchter, London 2
    2020 : ?
  • OceansJennyOceansJenny Posts: 3,393
    edited May 2022
    Poking around the PJ stats ap, avg # of songs per show:

1992: 11
    1993: 16
    1994: 20
    1995: 23
    1996: 23
    1998: 23
    2000: 26
    2003: 26
    2005: 26
    2006: 26
    2008: 26
    2009: 28
    2010: 25
    2011: 28
    2012: 26
    2013: 32
    2014: 29
    2015: 30
    2016: 30
    2018: 28
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,124
    2013 was among the best years in this band's history. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,429
    JimmyV said:
    The time the band has spent onstage doesn't seem to mesh with the number of songs being played. Is Ed talking (coughcoughtakingabreakcoughcough) after most songs?

Gigaton songs along with a lot of their hits almost all run over 5 minutes each. That and the talking are the main reasons i believe. 
    edited May 2022
    JimmyV said:
    Agreed - I really enjoyed 2006 and 2003 as well :) album years tend to breathe some energy into the band!

So really, 3 less songs than their typical setlist in the 2000s isn’t a huge drop.
    Post edited by OceansJenny on
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • LiftedLifted Posts: 1,833
    PJNB said:
    Lifted said:
    PJNB said:
    The band came on stage 1hr and 20 minutes after Josh was done playing. What a wait that must be in the pit. They are not cutting much on the first two sets. They can play longer the opening band has nothing to do with this decision imo. 

I do like that Ed comes out for a solo song each night so far. With Pearl Jam almost coming out 2hrs after that though it is a huge wait for people to hear one song so I am not sure it will do what I think they are intending it to do and get peoples butts in their seats for Josh. 
    You don’t even make any sense. Where do you get 1 hour and 20 minute wait between josh and the band coming on stage?  People on this board complaining about only getting 2 hour sets and shorter shows is odd to me. One person on here said they were selling their tickets to Atleast 2 of their shows cause SD set list was only 24 songs. They bought tix for 5 shows but are scaling down, ooooh the horror. 
    Lol. Right....some of these posts are pretty pathetic. And rather ignorant regarding the history of the band's tours I might add. SD was 15 minutes shy of 3 hours...wtf more do people want? LA was 2 hours and 20. That's plenty of time for a concert, and also not completely out of the ordinary for pj. These 3+ hours shows being a regular thing for all tour stops only really happened for a couple of the more recent tours. 2.5 hours is pretty standard for PJ. 

The LA setlist looked great to me. Most of the Pearl Jam shows I've been to where they've played 3 hours or more, and I've been to a bunch, would've probably been better if they cut out some songs. They're essentially cutting out the 2nd encore of slower/acoustic songs (that has been a thing in recent years) and going straight for the heavy hitters.

I might be disappointed if they played for only 2 hours and included a bunch of slow acoustic ditties, but so far that doesn't seem to be the case. I hope it continues and pisses off a bunch of nerds holding camden and msg tickets....maybe they will become more accessible for the rest of us.
    I like the slower songs. I am a nerd though. 
    I dont dislike the songs...I just dont need to hear them in the middle of a concert.
    Lifted said:
    PJNB said:
    Lifted said:
    PJNB said:
    The band came on stage 1hr and 20 minutes after Josh was done playing. What a wait that must be in the pit. They are not cutting much on the first two sets. They can play longer the opening band has nothing to do with this decision imo. 

I do like that Ed comes out for a solo song each night so far. With Pearl Jam almost coming out 2hrs after that though it is a huge wait for people to hear one song so I am not sure it will do what I think they are intending it to do and get peoples butts in their seats for Josh. 
    You don’t even make any sense. Where do you get 1 hour and 20 minute wait between josh and the band coming on stage?  People on this board complaining about only getting 2 hour sets and shorter shows is odd to me. One person on here said they were selling their tickets to Atleast 2 of their shows cause SD set list was only 24 songs. They bought tix for 5 shows but are scaling down, ooooh the horror. 
    Lol. Right....some of these posts are pretty pathetic. And rather ignorant regarding the history of the band's tours I might add. SD was 15 minutes shy of 3 hours...wtf more do people want? LA was 2 hours and 20. That's plenty of time for a concert, and also not completely out of the ordinary for pj. These 3+ hours shows being a regular thing for all tour stops only really happened for a couple of the more recent tours. 2.5 hours is pretty standard for PJ. 

The LA setlist looked great to me. Most of the Pearl Jam shows I've been to where they've played 3 hours or more, and I've been to a bunch, would've probably been better if they cut out some songs. They're essentially cutting out the 2nd encore of slower/acoustic songs (that has been a thing in recent years) and going straight for the heavy hitters.

I might be disappointed if they played for only 2 hours and included a bunch of slow acoustic ditties, but so far that doesn't seem to be the case. I hope it continues and pisses off a bunch of nerds holding camden and msg tickets....maybe they will become more accessible for the rest of us.
    I dont dislike the songs...I just dont need to hear them in the middle of a concert.
    I think this new 1 encore set up with no covers will breathe some fresh air into the end of shows. Hopefully they can throw a surprise or two in there while they are at it.
    I love a slow first encore. Bring out the stools let’s gooooo with some All or None.
  • mrmcqueenmrmcqueen Canada Posts: 23
    PJNB said:

These are all insightful points. Ed came out early at Milan in 2014 for an acoustic Porch b/c we were all baking in the hot sun (so we assumed). I completely understand why he wanted to draw folks away from drinking beer around the exterior perimeter of the arena to get inside to "respect the opener." The long gap that followed Josh was rumoured to be traffic related, but the 8:50pm ish start time in LA1 was the exact same as San Diego.  

2006: Toronto #1; 2009: Toronto; 2011: Toronto #1; 2012: Berlin x2; 2013: London,Pittsburgh, Buffalo, LA #2, Oakland, Vancouver; 2014: Milan, St.Louis, Detroit, Moline; 2015: Santiago,Buenos Aires, Porto Alegre, São Paulo, Mexico City; 2016: Miami, Raleigh, Columbia, Toronto x2, Fenway x2; 2018: Prague, Krakow, Barcelona, Chicago #1, Boston #2; 2022: San Diego, Oakland x2, Fresno, Sacramento, Las Vegas, Berlin, Zurich, Copenhagen, Amsterdam I, Amsterdam II, Quebec City, Hamilton, Toronto, New York City

• mrmcqueenmrmcqueen Canada Posts: 23
    Then what’s the problem? Are they ending earlier? Is Ed talking more? Are they playing slower?
    Starting 25 minutes later than 2016/2018

2006: Toronto #1; 2009: Toronto; 2011: Toronto #1; 2012: Berlin x2; 2013: London,Pittsburgh, Buffalo, LA #2, Oakland, Vancouver; 2014: Milan, St.Louis, Detroit, Moline; 2015: Santiago,Buenos Aires, Porto Alegre, São Paulo, Mexico City; 2016: Miami, Raleigh, Columbia, Toronto x2, Fenway x2; 2018: Prague, Krakow, Barcelona, Chicago #1, Boston #2; 2022: San Diego, Oakland x2, Fresno, Sacramento, Las Vegas, Berlin, Zurich, Copenhagen, Amsterdam I, Amsterdam II, Quebec City, Hamilton, Toronto, New York City

Love that the Ed pre-show is back. 
  • LiftedLifted Posts: 1,833
    edited May 2022
    PJNB said:
    Lifted said:
    PJNB said:
    Lifted said:
    PJNB said:

I think this new 1 encore set up with no covers will breathe some fresh air into the end of shows. Hopefully they can throw a surprise or two in there while they are at it.
    I'm with you on that. Im looking at this in a similar way that I look at going out for a nice dinner. Yeah I'm starving, and everything on the menu looks great, but that doesn't mean I need to eat it all. Sometimes less is more. If you go too hard, you might overdo it and leave feeling tired and bloated. 

Every 3+hour PJ show I've been to, I was ready for them to be over when they were. Thats not to say they weren't great, but sometimes it can feel more satisfying to leave wanting more. 
    Post edited by Lifted on
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,423
    PJNB said:
    This is a huge change with their live show. Having the hits played every night and Gigaton heavy sets there is now only so much room to change things up from one show to another. I have seen 16 shows and always had at least one new song in the set. While that streak was always going to come to an end the first two shows of this tour accomplished that with ease. I predict a less traveling fanbase going forward if this is the direction they plan on going in from here on out. The good news is they sound fantastic and I am still excited to hit the last 3 shows of this leg but seeing 22 song sets definitely takes some of that excited away if I am being honest. 
    They have played 35 different songs over 2 shows (by my fast but possibly not fully accurate count).  That is during a tour they are promoting an album.  This isn't a tour they are playing between albums.  They are gonna play 7-8 of Gigaton each night.  LA 1 set list looked killer to me
  • heartofadogheartofadog Portland, OR Posts: 357

'96 and '98 shows are some of my favorites. I've said this in other threads but the setlist length, whether it be number of songs or time on stage, is not that big a deal to me personally as long as the band is tight and the show is good. Two hours and twenty-four minutes is still a great set length. And again, at the risk of repeating myself, I'm a little bummed that Gigaton is so much of the set but it's the new record, and the tour behind the new record, so I get it. I'm sure the songs *sound* great live but my issue with the record (and my issue with Earthling) is that Ed's writing is pretty weak compared even to the stuff on Backspacer or Lightning Bolt. Some outliers on both Gigaton and Earthling for sure but by and large the writing is just... not great, in my opinion. Seven O'Clock and The Haves, respectively, are two of the worst things, lyrically, that have made their way onto official PJ/EV releases, maybe ever.
    1993: Portland, OR (09/06), Seattle, WA (12/07), Seattle, WA (12/08), Seattle, WA (12/09)
    1995: Seattle, WA (02/05)
    1996: Seattle, WA (09/16)
    1997:
    Oakland, CA (11/19)
    1998:
    Portland, OR (07/18), Seattle, WA (07/21), Seattle, WA (07/22)
    2000: Bellingham, WA (05/10), Vancouver, BC (05/11), Mountain View, CA (10/31), Portland, OR (11/02), Seattle, WA (11/05), Seattle, WA (11/06)
    2002: Seattle, WA (12/05), Seattle, WA (12/06), Seattle, WA (12/08), Seattle, WA (12/09)
    2003: Vancouver, BC (05/30), Seattle, WA (10/22)
    2005: Quincy, WA (09/01)
    2006: Portland, OR (07/20), Quincy, WA (07/22), Quincy, WA (07/23)
    2009: Berlin, DE (08/15), Seattle, WA (9/21), Seattle, WA (9/22)
    2010: Berlin, DE (06/30)
    2013: Los Angeles, CA (11/23), Los Angeles, CA (11/24), Portland, OR (11/29), Spokane, WA (11/30)
    2018: Seattle, WA (08/10)
    2022: Seattle, WA (02/22), New York, NY (09/10), New York, NY (09/11), Camden, NJ (09/14), Denver, CO (09/22)
    2023: St. Paul, MN (08/31), St. Paul, MN (09/02)
    2024: Portland, OR (05/10), Sacramento, CA (05/13), Los Angeles, CA (05/21), Los Angeles, CA (05/22), Seattle, WA (05/28)
    pjhawks said:
    PJNB said:
    This is a huge change with their live show. Having the hits played every night and Gigaton heavy sets there is now only so much room to change things up from one show to another. I have seen 16 shows and always had at least one new song in the set. While that streak was always going to come to an end the first two shows of this tour accomplished that with ease. I predict a less traveling fanbase going forward if this is the direction they plan on going in from here on out. The good news is they sound fantastic and I am still excited to hit the last 3 shows of this leg but seeing 22 song sets definitely takes some of that excited away if I am being honest. 
    They have played 35 different songs over 2 shows (by my fast but possibly not fully accurate count).  That is during a tour they are promoting an album.  This isn't a tour they are playing between albums.  They are gonna play 7-8 of Gigaton each night.  LA 1 set list looked killer to me
    Everyone I have talked to said it was an amazing show. I am admittedly talking from a perspective of someone not at these shows and just looking at the numbers. The songs they are adding on top of Ten and Gigaton songs have all been great. 
  • DM282158DM282158 Posts: 541
    JimmyV said:
    1,000%
    Boston '06
    Mansfield '08
    Hartford '10
    Worcester, Hartford '13
    Global Citizen, NY '15
  • brookelilybrookelily Bethel Park, PA Posts: 238
    I’m fairly certain Jeff at some point (likely 2014-2016), said they would have to scale it back some - 3 hours isn’t going to happen every night and probably not happen as often.  

A lot of times the Ed dialogue is to give Matt a breather.

I’ve seen a few 3 hour bangers (Cincy 2014 comes to mind), and I recently just saw them at Asbury Park, festival set but it was a tight performance albeit 20 tunes and 2 hours.

im fine either way.  My preference is probably a well rehearsed 24-25 songs in under 2.5 hours.  Hey, I’m 51 years old.  I’m most appreciative they are all healthy and still getting out there.
    8/16/92
    9/24/96, 9/28/96
    8/25/98, 9/18/98
    9/5/00
    4/26/03
    6/23/06
    10/28/09
    10/11/13, 10/12/13
    10/1/14
    9/2/18, 9/4/18
    9/18/21
  • ClownofThornsClownofThorns Posts: 165
    PJNB said:
    pjhawks said:
    PJNB said:
    Everyone I have talked to said it was an amazing show. I am admittedly talking from a perspective of someone not at these shows and just looking at the numbers. The songs they are adding on top of Ten and Gigaton songs have all been great. 
    It was a great show. And, it was shorter than I would have liked. I mean, I'm always going to want more. Ed looked really tired about 1/3-1/2 of the way into the show--to the point that I was actually a little worried about him a couple of times. But, he rallied and they put on a helluva performance. Sure, I would have loved another 5-6 songs, but a great setlist, good crowd....5/5, would recommend. 
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,311
    I’m fairly certain Jeff at some point (likely 2014-2016), said they would have to scale it back some - 3 hours isn’t going to happen every night and probably not happen as often.  

I’ve seen a few 3 hour bangers (Cincy 2014 comes to mind), and I recently just saw them at Asbury Park, festival set but it was a tight performance albeit 20 tunes and 2 hours.

im fine either way.  My preference is probably a well rehearsed 24-25 songs in under 2.5 hours.  Hey, I’m 51 years old.  I’m most appreciative they are all healthy and still getting out there.
    I’d put money it’s  to give Ed a breather. Not Matt. 
  • ClownofThornsClownofThorns Posts: 165
    nicknyr15 said:

I’d put money it’s  to give Ed a breather. Not Matt. 
    Ed is 15 years older than me and I'm worn out from standing through the show last night. His energy amazes me, so if he needs to blab for a bit to regroup, go right ahead. 
  • mcg.j.seanmcg.j.sean Posts: 71

'96 and '98 shows are some of my favorites. I've said this in other threads but the setlist length, whether it be number of songs or time on stage, is not that big a deal to me personally as long as the band is tight and the show is good. Two hours and twenty-four minutes is still a great set length. And again, at the risk of repeating myself, I'm a little bummed that Gigaton is so much of the set but it's the new record, and the tour behind the new record, so I get it. I'm sure the songs *sound* great live but my issue with the record (and my issue with Earthling) is that Ed's writing is pretty weak compared even to the stuff on Backspacer or Lightning Bolt. Some outliers on both Gigaton and Earthling for sure but by and large the writing is just... not great, in my opinion. Seven O'Clock and The Haves, respectively, are two of the worst things, lyrically, that have made their way onto official PJ/EV releases, maybe ever.
    Everyone has an opinion but holy smokes this is not right. Seven o’clock is a top 5 Pearl jam song for me. Lyrically, musically, the singing, Ed’s delivery … it’s perfect. Lightning bolt and backspacer are two of their weakest records IMO. Seven o’clock is miles ahead of anything on those albums. Like have you read the lyrics to let the records play? Lol 

I do agree with you the haves though. That one is pretty bad. 
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,770
    They could replace the covers with their songs
    I miss igotid88
  • pledgeagrievancepledgeagrievance Posts: 2,842

Everyone has an opinion but holy smokes this is not right. Seven o’clock is a top 5 Pearl jam song for me. Lyrically, musically, the singing, Ed’s delivery … it’s perfect. Lightning bolt and backspacer are two of their weakest records IMO. Seven o’clock is miles ahead of anything on those albums. Like have you read the lyrics to let the records play? Lol 

Seven o clock is a great song. Close to better than anything since Riot Act. The Haves, probably the first EV/PJ release I couldn’t get through and have no desire to hear again
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,521

These average set stats are likely a couple songs shorter due to festivals reducing the average, reading thru the LB tour they averaged 35 (!) songs and 5 or 6 from LB at arenas. As good as gig is, 8 out of 22 songs is much different new song ratio than the last arena album tour for LB. It changes the dynamic. 
  • heartofadogheartofadog Portland, OR Posts: 357

We just disagree on Seven, I guess. To me the writing — like much of Ed's writing when he tries to be direct about political/social issues — is clunky. When his writing is even a bit more esoteric but still political (Rats, WME, DTE) it works a lot better for me. Quick Escape rips but the "to find a place Trump hadn't fucked up yet" immediately dates the song and makes it so specific to an individual moment/person rather than the root cause(s) of the problem(s) Ed is writing about. 

From the new one DOC, Wolf Moon, Retrograde and River Cross are all pretty good. The writing is what it needs to be for those songs. Maybe not his greatest writing, but befitting the material. I just don't feel the same about Seven, Who Ever Said, Escape and the other tracks. 
    1993: Portland, OR (09/06), Seattle, WA (12/07), Seattle, WA (12/08), Seattle, WA (12/09)
    1995: Seattle, WA (02/05)
    1996: Seattle, WA (09/16)
    1997:
    Oakland, CA (11/19)
    1998:
    Portland, OR (07/18), Seattle, WA (07/21), Seattle, WA (07/22)
    2000: Bellingham, WA (05/10), Vancouver, BC (05/11), Mountain View, CA (10/31), Portland, OR (11/02), Seattle, WA (11/05), Seattle, WA (11/06)
    2002: Seattle, WA (12/05), Seattle, WA (12/06), Seattle, WA (12/08), Seattle, WA (12/09)
    2003: Vancouver, BC (05/30), Seattle, WA (10/22)
    2005: Quincy, WA (09/01)
    2006: Portland, OR (07/20), Quincy, WA (07/22), Quincy, WA (07/23)
    2009: Berlin, DE (08/15), Seattle, WA (9/21), Seattle, WA (9/22)
    2010: Berlin, DE (06/30)
    2013: Los Angeles, CA (11/23), Los Angeles, CA (11/24), Portland, OR (11/29), Spokane, WA (11/30)
    2018: Seattle, WA (08/10)
    2022: Seattle, WA (02/22), New York, NY (09/10), New York, NY (09/11), Camden, NJ (09/14), Denver, CO (09/22)
    2023: St. Paul, MN (08/31), St. Paul, MN (09/02)
    2024: Portland, OR (05/10), Sacramento, CA (05/13), Los Angeles, CA (05/21), Los Angeles, CA (05/22), Seattle, WA (05/28)
  • mcg.j.seanmcg.j.sean Posts: 71

We just disagree on Seven, I guess. To me the writing — like much of Ed's writing when he tries to be direct about political/social issues — is clunky. When his writing is even a bit more esoteric but still political (Rats, WME, DTE) it works a lot better for me. Quick Escape rips but the "to find a place Trump hadn't fucked up yet" immediately dates the song and makes it so specific to an individual moment/person rather than the root cause(s) of the problem(s) Ed is writing about. 

From the new one DOC, Wolf Moon, Retrograde and River Cross are all pretty good. The writing is what it needs to be for those songs. Maybe not his greatest writing, but befitting the material. I just don't feel the same about Seven, Who Ever Said, Escape and the other tracks. 
    Yes agree to disagree! Haha

But honest question. One lyric and that ruins a song or makes you think the writing is weak? Seems like you have pretty high standards! 😉
  • 3days3days Posts: 1,158
    I keep trying to find the magic in Seven O' Clock, and I come up empty. I like several songs on Gigaton, but that one feels underwhelming. 
  • BloodMeridian80BloodMeridian80 Seattle Posts: 651
    edited May 2022

These average set stats are likely a couple songs shorter due to festivals reducing the average, reading thru the LB tour they averaged 35 (!) songs and 5 or 6 from LB at arenas. As good as gig is, 8 out of 22 songs is much different new song ratio than the last arena album tour for LB. It changes the dynamic. 

Running the numbers on 2013 US, I get 32.5 songs per non-fest arena show (24 shows total). I do count some songs as one that pj.com separates -> Interstellar Overdrive into Corduroy = 1; Wasted Reprise into Life Wasted = 1; Chloe Dancer into Crown of Thorns = 1. I don't count Eruption as a 'song' -> if you want to count these as separate songs, the average jumps to 33.1.

San Diego had 8 Gigaton songs, LA ended up with 6.

Post edited by BloodMeridian80 on
  • steven87steven87 Posts: 1,443
    I love a slow first encore. Bring out the stools let’s gooooo with some All or None.
    Here’s my ideal first encore- Around the bend, All or none, fatal, parting ways, light years, hard to imagine, in my tree, present tense, breath, RVM. We can all dream