Options

PJ Tour Merch 2022

Comments

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,029
    bradklausen said:
    is it sunny or am I gonna walk around today like George Micheal on Arrested Development and collapse on the floor 

"her?" 
    Way to plant!

In all seriousness though, love this print. Out of curiosity, do you get any sort of artistic direction, or is it purely a personal decision to make the print somewhat relevant to the locale (like with the desert theme of this print)?
    there's usually a loose art direction to try and tie in the city somehow, but it's stated that that is not required.

If I can tie in the city / locale  in someway, I try too, but I often don't want to be boxed in by trying to make an image that is a travel poster for a city... it's a poster for a band, for their live music, so I want to try and make it about the music / band first and foremost, what that music makes me feel or see in my head when I hear it, and if there's a way to incorporate the city or the history of the city or the geography or any folklore or myths about the city, and it works with a bigger concept then I like having that added aspect to the piece. 

When it works well I think it really makes for a great gigposter... but when artists are just trying to reference a city just to reference it and the poster becomes more about a city and not a gigposter interpreting the music, then I find it less effective and interesting. 

Plus gigposters are one of the areas where you just let an artist's and their imagination run wild... what wild and out there imagery that no one has ever seen can you come up when you listen to a band's music or see their live performance... sky is the limit and artists can really explore interesting out there concepts and ideas.... and making an image about a city is not as creatively riveting as the ideas swirling inside the mind's of artists....  when it's just about the city, it's kinda one dimensional to me... but if the reference to the city is just one component to a bigger concept then I think it's great. 
    This was fascinating to read. Such cool insight from the artist's perspective. Do most bands give you a lot of artistic leeway with show poster art? Or does it depend on the band? 
    mostly yes, you get contacted by a band's merch company and they say "you wanna do a poster for such and such date?" and you say "YES!"... you usually submit a concept sketch first and get the green light to proceed (some artists are great at concept sketches, mine are like bad napkin sketches and loose and messy), which is how pj operates (but only once tsurt took over, for years you just did whatever and the band saw it the night of)... but lots of times you just make something and maybe once it's finished there might be a small note here or there on something to alter or change

but for the most part, I think they want artists to do what they do. I know for bands like Primus, they will maybe have a theme they want the artists to work in...I can remember seeing a tour where every poster had rainbow trolls in it... I think Fantomas had a tour where they wanted things to be in the color pink but whatever you wanted to do so long as it was pink. For the 2020 pj tour, there was an art direction to speak to the environment / climate. 

still not out mowing the lawn yet...working on seeing if I can't have the site ready to roll for a sale tomorrow... stay tuned 

"Bad napkin sketches" 😂😂I would have anxiety attacks in art class when the teachers asked to see our sketchbooks. Oh, the horror!
    Re: the potential sale tomorrow:

speaking of showing sketchbooks.... let me ask you all something.... 

I am thinking of starting a youtube art channel... where I will do a few things... do like a deep dive on past posters, explain the inspiration, design elements, show the sketches and parts and just talk about each poster what I was thinking when I made it and what I think of it now. 

Also have segments where I go through different packaging processes, do talks about album artwork and dvd packaging I worked on, pull out old Ten Club newsletters and go through the design process / thoughts on those

As well as go through books of artists I am inspired by

At some point I would like to have time lapse vids on works in progress... and then I might do livestreams where people can watch me work on things... one idea being working on more elaborate doodles on posters using posca paint pens / colored pencils then sell or auction them to whoever might want them, stuff like that. 

A channel for design students and artists as well as all you PJ and music fans... just me talking about my process of past and present projects.... 

would you guys be into that? Think it would be cool? It would be kinda like what the Always Sunny dudes are doing with their podcast where they are going through each episode of their tv show and talking about what they thought about making each episode when they were making it and how they feel about it today, years later. 

@bradklausen
    @bradklausen YES!  Do it. Please.  Thanks 

• Options
    huntersthompsonhuntersthompson Posts: 846
    edited May 2022
    I have an extra LA N1 and LA N2 if anyone wants to pick up extra Oakland N1 & N2 for a trade....Stickers.....
    Post edited by huntersthompson on
  • Options
    SHZASHZA St. Louis, MO USA Posts: 3,196
    I have an extra LA N1 and LA N2 if anyone wants to pick up extra Oakland N1 & N2 for a trade....
    Posters?
  • Options
    Groda03Groda03 Posts: 140
    Anyone have poster/sticker information and images?
  • Options
    Blot911Blot911 Houston, Texas Posts: 65
    Love that A's inspired shirt for tonight. Would be down to try and do a trade for an extra XL if I can score a Vegas city shirt next week ;)
    2000/10/15 - Houston, TX
    2003/04/05 - San Antonio, TX
    2003/04/09 - Birmingham, AL
    2007/08/05 - Chicago, IL - Lollapalooza
    2009/10/03 - Austin City Limits TV Taping
    2009/10/04 - Austin City Limits Music Festival
    2022/05/20 - Las Vegas, NV
    2022/09/18 - St. Louis, MO

EV Solo
    2012/11/12 - Houston, TX
    2012/11/13 - Houston, TX
  • Options
    SHZA said:
    I have an extra LA N1 and LA N2 if anyone wants to pick up extra Oakland N1 & N2 for a trade....
    Posters?
    Stickers....thanks for noticing...updated
  • Options
    apirk72apirk72 Posts: 493
    I don’t usually try for merch from shows I wasn’t at  but if someone could pick me up a pin for tonight’s show I’d be grateful.  I’m a big Flipper  fan so it is perfect.  Can PayPal or trade I’ve got a handful of random show pins
  • Options
    satansbed94satansbed94 Montreal Posts: 349
    ISO Oakland & Glendale stickers

Can Paypal or trade.  Thanks!
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,879

• Options
    snowrider_04snowrider_04 Berkeley, CA Posts: 90
    Was about 80 people deep when the outdoor merch booth opened up. By the time I got to the front they were out of license plates and for some reason no pins were available either. Managed to get a poster and a sticker, not sure how depleted the Oakland shirts were. Was told there would be license plates and pins in the venue. I'm literally shaking I'm so excited for tonight!!!
    Live & Loud: A list of every concert I've been to.
    Vintage Four Wheels: If you like vintage cars.

2022: Oakland 1, Oakland 2 • 2018: Seattle 1 • 2014: Mountain View (BSB) • 2013: Philadelphia 1, Philadelphia 2, Oakland • 2011: Oakland 1 (EV), Oakland 2 (EV) • 2009: San Francisco (Outside Lands) • 2008: Berkeley (EV) • 2006: San Francisco 1, San Francisco 2 Mountain View (BSB) •  2000: Mountain View • 1999: Mountain View (BSB) • 1992: Stanhope (Lollapalooza)
  • Options
    iwasatpj20iwasatpj20 Rockford, IL Posts: 3,300
    Love tonight’s Oakland sticker, have fun to all attending tonight’s show
    2000 - Chicago, IL
    2003 - Champaign, IL
    2006 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2007 - Chicago, IL Lollapalooza
    2009 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2010 - St. Louis, MO
    2011 - East Troy, WI 1 & 2 (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2012 - Atlanta, GA, Missoula, MT
    2013 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field), Dallas, TX, Oklahoma City, OK
    2014 - St. Louis, MO, Tulsa, OK, Moline, IL (No Code, IL), Saint Paul, MN, Milwaukee, WI (Yield, WI)
    2016 - Greenville, SC (Vs, SC), Raleigh, NC, Columbia, SC, Boston, MA (Fenway Park 1), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)
    2018 - Seattle, WA (Safeco Field 2), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2), Boston, MA (Fenway Park 2)
    2020 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, ??
    2022 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, Las Vegas, NV
    2023 - St. Paul, MN 2, Fort Worth, TX 2, Austin, TX 1, and Austin, TX 2
    2024 - Portland, OR and Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)

2012 - Temple of the Dog East Troy, WI (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2014 - Soundgarden Tinley Park, IL (with Nine Inch Nails)
    2014 - Alice in Chains Davenport, IA
    2016 - Chris Cornell Solo Madison, WI and Peoria, IL (official hometown show)
    2016 - Temple of the Dog San Francisco, CA (both shows)
    2017 - Soundgarden Dallas (cancelled) RIP Chris Cornell
    2018 - Smashing Pumpkins Chicago, IL (first show)
    2019 - Alice in Chains Milwaukee, WI
    2022 - Jerry Cantrell Chicago, IL
    2023 - Jerry Cantrell Milwaukee, WI

RIP Andrew Wood, Kurt Cobain, Layne Staley, and Chris Cornell

RIP Mom (may your star shine the brightest in the sky, our family loves and misses you very much, we'll meet again)

• Options
    FlyBono24FlyBono24 Posts: 95
    Why does it look like a death metal poster?  Like it would be Cannibal corpse or something?  LOL
  • Options
    mtrovato328mtrovato328 Posts: 18
    Blows my mind that they don’t make more shirts and plates. I get the limited aspect but it’s insane that a shirt is harder to get than a poster 
  • Options
    jenjen5769jenjen5769 Posts: 108
    Tons of license plates on eBay  
  • Options
    PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,736
    Blows my mind that they don’t make more shirts and plates. I get the limited aspect but it’s insane that a shirt is harder to get than a poster 
    I waited 2 hours for a shirt at the outside merch booth only to be told they only had size small left. This was LA2. So freaking bogus. 
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • Options
    mtrovato328mtrovato328 Posts: 18
    PJammin' said:
    I waited 2 hours for a shirt at the outside merch booth only to be told they only had size small left. This was LA2. So freaking bogus. 
    Bummer. I didn’t even try at LA after SD bc the shirts sold out so fast
  • Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,509
    The show specific shirts and stuff seems to be selling out fast. Are the tour shirts available in decent quantities at the booths? 
  • Options
    The show specific shirts and stuff seems to be selling out fast. Are the tour shirts available in decent quantities at the booths? 
    The other shirts aren’t hard to get. Just the city specific stuff is. 
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • Options
    PJammin' said:
    My friend told me some jerk had 50 XL shirts up on eBay the same day of the show. 
  • Options
    Release EVRelease EV Posts: 2,001
    edited May 2022
    PJammin' said:
    PJammin' said:
    My friend told me some jerk had 50 XL shirts up on eBay the same day of the show. 
    Yeah there are a few calculated taking the p*ss. Just need to watch the Bay to see it.
    Post edited by Release EV on
  • Options
    FlyBono24FlyBono24 Posts: 95
    I'm curious if they'll do a Silver & Black theme tomorrow...   Oakland doesn't have any sports teams left except the A's though.  And if they do a Raiders theme it will be the Vegas show.
  • Options
    FlyBono24 said:
    I'm curious if they'll do a Silver & Black theme tomorrow...   Oakland doesn't have any sports teams left except the A's though.  And if they do a Raiders theme it will be the Vegas show.
    Maybe an inverse of the colors - green on yellow? 

Maybe the old Golden Seals hockey team? 
    San Francisco, CA 05/15/92 07/16/06
    Mountain View, CA 07/18/92 10/02/94 10/31/00 06/01/03 10/26/03
    San Jose, CA 10/30/93 11/04/95
    Sacramento,CA 07/16/98
    Knoxville, TN 09/06/98
    Oakland, CA 11/26/13  05/12/22
    Seattle, WA 08/10/18

• Options
    lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,896
    FlyBono24 said:
    Warriors guaranteed. I hope they do another A's one, though.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • Options
    WMAmoricanWMAmorican Posts: 208
    Dumb question: I'm not usually a merch guy, but I would like to buy a poster for my son's first show. But I'd really rather not carry a damn poster tube around with me all night. Do the posters pretty much sell out at each actual show, or will some turn up in the PJ shop eventually? (I see they're currently hawking 2020 tour posters - laugh out loud!)
    In other words, if I want an Oakland 2022 poster, do I need to actually buy it there tonight?
  • Options
    BH76306BH76306 Posts: 72
    Dumb question: I'm not usually a merch guy, but I would like to buy a poster for my son's first show. But I'd really rather not carry a damn poster tube around with me all night. Do the posters pretty much sell out at each actual show, or will some turn up in the PJ shop eventually? (I see they're currently hawking 2020 tour posters - laugh out loud!)
    In other words, if I want an Oakland 2022 poster, do I need to actually buy it there tonight?
    Last night all the merch booths still had posters left. If I were you, I"d just grab one of my way out after the show is done.
  • Options
    aisleseatsaisleseats Posts: 1,120
    BH76306 said:
    Last night all the merch booths still had posters left. If I were you, I"d just grab one of my way out after the show is done.
    Or if you don't want to risk it and are in the area, they sell merch outside the venue starting in a few hours. Expect a line though.
  • Options
    MR242791MR242791 Brooklyn NY Posts: 669
    edited May 2022
    What time should I line up to get a license plate?
    Post edited by MR242791 on
    38 concerts and counting
    "I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine"
  • Options
    wbutler29wbutler29 Posts: 912
    Need some help. Up in the Bay Area from Tejas, but no way I can make it up for merch if anyone willing to pick up a poster/tube and a show shirt (L) and a sticker, I’ll buy yours as well and Venmo you this AM. I’ll be up there around 7:00/7:30… can meet for beers before the show.  DM me and I’ll be forever grateful. Thanks in advance Jamily.
    Wayne 
    Houston, TX