*** 2022 FIFA WORLD CUP ***

Comments

• Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,242
    edited November 2022
    CROJAM95 said:
    CROJAM95 said:
    Nice win
    Yeah they spanked Canada! But I’m sure they will take this loss and learn from it..
    Yea like the coach should stick to his 12 yr old boy haircut & STFU with clipboard material 🤣
    So you are offended by “Eff Croatia” only to then insult the way he looks and then tell him to STFU.  Makes a lot of sense 
    Didn’t tell him to STFU, was simply pointing out when dummies who ain’t playing say something like this maybe STFU is the right approach… cause it triggers a reaction 9/10 times from other side 

but hey, he can do it again…. Just a suggestion, triggered one

enjoy that flight back home, hopefully he has ID on him to get a drink in the plane ride 
    Post edited by CROJAM95 on
  • Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited November 2022
    CROJAM95 said:
    CROJAM95 said:
    CROJAM95 said:
    Nice win
    Yeah they spanked Canada! But I’m sure they will take this loss and learn from it..
    Yea like the coach should stick to his 12 yr old boy haircut & STFU with clipboard material 🤣
    So you are offended by “Eff Croatia” only to then insult the way he looks and then tell him to STFU.  Makes a lot of sense 
    Didn’t tell him to STFU, was simply pointing out when dummies who ain’t playing say something like this maybe STFU is the right approach… cause it triggers a reaction 9/10 times from other side 

enjoy that flight back home, hopefully he has ID on him to get a drink in the plane ride 
    Triggered. Good grief. 
    I happen to like Herdman, he has done amazing things with our National Soccer Program, both on the men’s and women’s side. No one is perfect, but insulting the way he looks or stating he should “STFU” (Hint: he can’t, interviews are part of the job) is essentially demonstrating who you are. Now he’s a “dummy” and needs to show “ID to get a drink on the plane”. 

Your hypocrisy was simply noted. He made a comment that was used for bulletin board material, don’t think it affected the game but he will learn from it. 

I suppose I should thank you. Because now I have a team to root for the rest of this World Cup. Anyone playing Croatia 😂
    Post edited by 1ThoughtKnown on
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,524
    pjhawks said:
    Can someone get my two hours back after watching a zero zero tie?  
    one of many in the first week. world cup! woo hoo!

BTW - I think they call it a nil-nil draw. still, you can put lipstick on a pig…
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,218
    Wobbie said:
    pjhawks said:
    Can someone get my two hours back after watching a zero zero tie?  
    one of many in the first week. world cup! woo hoo!

BTW - I think they call it a nil-nil draw. still, you can put lipstick on a pig…
    Before the knockout rounds the playing for ties is annoying.  At least once it gets to knockout stage they try to score a bit more 
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,553
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

On outskirts of Doha, laborers watch World Cup they built
    By ISABEL DEBRE
    38 mins ago

DOHA, Qatar (AP) — Far from Doha's luxury hotels and sprawling new World Cup stadiums, scores of South Asian workers poured into a cricket ground in the city’s sandy outskirts to enjoy the tournament they helped create.

Unlike the official FIFA fan zone near Doha’s pristine corniche, this one has no $14 beer or foreign tourists. There are few food options beyond deep-fried Indian snacks, scant soccer jerseys in the crowd and even fewer women.

Instead, the grassy pitch in Asian Town, a neighborhood of labor camps, is packed with migrant workers from some of the world’s poorest countries. They power Qatar, one of the world’s richest, and helped accomplish its multi-billion-dollar stadium-building effort.

Their treatment has been the controversial backstory of the 2022 World Cup, ever since Qatar won the bid to host the soccer championship. They can face low wages, inhospitable housing and long hours, often in the scorching heat.

But on Friday night as the Netherlands played Ecuador, the bleachers of the cricket stadium heaved with workers reveling on their one day off of the week.

The lucky ones scored a small number of World Cup match tickets that went on sale for just 40 riyals ($10) — a special cheaper ticket category for Qatar residents. But for those who can’t afford to go to gleaming stadiums, the giant screens in Asian Town have become a key glimpse into the tournament that has reshaped the tiny emirate.

“Who can afford to go? I keep 400 riyals ($109) a month in my pocket,” said Anmol Singh, an electrician, who sends the rest of his $600 salary to his parents and grandparents in Bihar, eastern India. “I work to give it all to them.”

Even if meager by Western standards, the salaries of migrant workers in Qatar and across the oil-rich sheikhdoms of the Persian Gulf often exceed what they could make back home and serve as lifelines for their families in India, Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka.

Workers in the fan zone who spoke to an Associated Press journalist on Friday said they coveted their jobs in the country, which has strict laws on speech. The yearslong boycott of Qatar by four Arab nations also stoked nationalism among the migrant workforce that makes up some 85% of the country’s population.

Kaplana Pahadi, a 21-year-old cleaner from Nepal, strolled through the crowded cricket stadium with three co-workers she called “my family.”

Decked out in a maroon Qatar jersey, scarf and cap, she said she moved to the energy-rich emirate over four years ago to pay medical fees for her mother, who developed heart problems after her father’s death. “She’s always sick,” she said. “I want to help her.”

At half-time, the floodlit stadium became a riot of music and dance. A celebrity Indian emcee whipped up the crowds as Hindi pop blared.

Some men hoisted themselves up on the shoulders of their friends. Others jumped up and down with excitement. Most wore jeans and T-shirts, or cream shalwar kameez — a knee-length shirt with a pair of loose-fitting trousers common in South Asia.

Hundreds took out their phones to film the reverie, smiles spreading as women in LED-lit white dresses traipsed onstage.

It was a stark respite from the daily grind.

“These are people from companies doing hard work,” said Imtiaz Malik, a 28-year-old IT worker from Pakistan, gesturing to the crowds of men. “But any kind of work is good.”

He said he misses his family back in Lahore, Pakistan, and wishes he could hear their voices more often. Despite the difficulties, he said, Qatar has become his home, too.

“This country is becoming better,” he said.

The glaring spotlight of the World Cup has compelled Qatar to overhaul its labor system. The country scrapped the kafala system that tied workers’ visas to their jobs and set a minimum wage of 1,000 riyals ($275) a month, among other changes. Still, rights groups argue more needs to be done. Workers can face delayed wages and rack up debt paying exorbitant recruitment fees to land their jobs.

Imran Khan, 28, said many young men in his hometown of Kolkata, India, dream of working in Qatar. He left his parents and brothers behind to search for work in hospitality during the World Cup. But he has yet to find a job.

The competition is fierce and work harder to come by now that the tournament is underway, he said. In the meantime, he spends his days watching matches on the big screens at the cricket stadium next to the mall.

The fan zone allows Khan and legions of other migrant workers to enjoy the World Cup atmosphere just a short walk from their dormitories. It also means they’re not taking the bus into downtown Doha, which is now filled with foreign fans watching games and celebrating.

“I can't explain the excitement,” Khan said. “It's unreal.”

___

Follow Isabel DeBre on Twitter at www.twitter.com/isabeldebre.

You go traveling and this is the case for most places in the world. In Dubai the Pakistani's worked for next to nothing so not much has changed I see.
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,313
    That Cameroon v Serbia match was fun to watch 
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    goldrush said:
    That Cameroon v Serbia match was fun to watch 
    The second half of the Ghana/Korea game really heated up!.
  • Options
    Great game.  Korea was pressing and pressing but couldn't tie it up.  Good job by Ghana.
  • Options
    CROJAM95 said:
    CROJAM95 said:
    CROJAM95 said:
    Nice win

Triggered. Good grief. 
    I happen to like Herdman, he has done amazing things with our National Soccer Program, both on the men’s and women’s side. No one is perfect, but insulting the way he looks or stating he should “STFU” (Hint: he can’t, interviews are part of the job) is essentially demonstrating who you are. Now he’s a “dummy” and needs to show “ID to get a drink on the plane”. 

Your hypocrisy was simply noted. He made a comment that was used for bulletin board material, don’t think it affected the game but he will learn from it. 

I suppose I should thank you. Because now I have a team to root for the rest of this World Cup. Anyone playing Croatia 😂
    You sound triggered 
  • Options
    David Allsopp on Twitter Reminder that the triggered
  • Options
    Didn’t say a word regarding team Canada, took a swipe referring to his “ hair cut” that as a 12yr old boy…. Some would find it flattering since it makes one look younger

i coulda said his 5’5” stature ….. or lack there of was sillier, but I took the high road 🤣

just having fun when someone obviously but their foot in their mouth and it blew up in his face

it wasn’t insulting, just a moronic comment from someone in over their head

• Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,355
    URU could have scored one but...

Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    I have a bunch to say, but I’ll take my own advice and STFU

Editing is a funny thing though

good night folks

be well, never meant to ….. ******* someone 

• Options
    CPR7CPR7 Stade de France, July 10, 2016 Posts: 365
    VAMOOOOOOOOS 
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,320
    Ok it’s you win you advance loose your done for team USA! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    They should beat Iran, no?  They lollygagged with Wales, played tough with England, it's time to friggin own it with Iran.
  • Options
    Iran 20th in the world. Be a good game
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    They should beat Iran, no?  They lollygagged with Wales, played tough with England, it's time to friggin own it with Iran.
    Iran 20th in the world. Be a good game
    Yeah they are ranked but I still feel good about our chances today! They just have to take chances today there’s no tomorrow, we just don’t have a pure goal scorer like other teams have..
  • Options
    Jumb0Jumb0 Posts: 910
    Homer Simpson Usa GIFs  Tenor
  • Options
    Jumb0 said:
    Homer Simpson Usa GIFs  Tenor
    Hell yeah 😎 
  • Options
    You could top the  group when we fuck up
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    You could top the  group when we fuck up

That would be our luck. Wales comes out a blasts you guys and then we draw Iran
  • Options
    Ecuador - Senegal has been great
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,553
    USA are better so far..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    My fav usa player in the 3 games is dest.
    Quality 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    England  are so poor
     Its like watching a div 2 game. Macclesfield vs grimsby
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    That  aged well
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,313
    edited November 2022
    That  aged well
    :rofl:

perfectly timed post!
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    Absolutely a schoolboy error.  That's  me in a nutshell. Shoot my mouth off to later eat pie
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07