Options

*** 2022 FIFA WORLD CUP ***

Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,946
edited March 2022 in All Encompassing Trip
This year the world cup in F O O T B A L L is played once again. In beautiful human rights loving Quatar.

Italy is out.
Canada is not out.

Sweden plays Poland tomorrow. 

Will Zlatan play?

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on

Comments

• Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,273
    Wales are one win away from a first World Cup appearance since Sweden 1958! Just need to get past the winner of the Scotland / Ukraine play off match…

We drew all of our group stage matches in 1958, and got knocked out in the quarter finals when some 17 year old kid called Pele scored his first WC goal for Brazil…
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    Sweden - Poland now. 40 min played. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    AW124797AW124797 Posts: 642
    Sweden - Poland now. 40 min played. 
    That was a good game. Half time substitution changed everything.  
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,736
    Confederation of African Football is a disgrace.  Look at this nonsense with the laster pointers that Egypt had to deal with when taking penalties yesterday for a spot in the World Cup.  Same thing with their goalie  Should have stopped the game and cleared the stadium.  

• Options
    VitalogensiaVitalogensia Posts: 1,923
    edited March 2022
    Biało Czerwoni!
    Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Cameroon!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Can we please stop talking about the World Cup?

Let'f focus on the Euros in 2024 instead.
  • Options
    Jumb0Jumb0 Posts: 910

Ciao 
  • Options
    Biało Czerwoni!
    O, jak miło! 
  • Options

Haha
  • Options
    A World XI of players that won’t be at the World Cup 

(Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,985
    goldrush said:

Isn't Haaland one of the best players out there?
  • Options
    goldrush said:

Isn't Haaland one of the best players out there?
    Yeah, but Norway haven’t qualified for a tournament since Euro 2000 - before he was born!

(Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    World Cup Draw is today at 11:30 AM EDST

If you don't know how it works the 32 teams (well, 29 right now) are divided up into 4 pots based on FIFA rankings. Qatar gets in Pot 1 for being the host nation. Pots are then emptied out 1 at a time until all the groups are filled.

• Options
    Cameroon is in. So now I’m pulling for Costa Rica to beat the Kiwis in June. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Jumb0 said:

If you don't know how it works the 32 teams (well, 29 right now) are divided up into 4 pots based on FIFA rankings. Qatar gets in Pot 1 for being the host nation. Pots are then emptied out 1 at a time until all the groups are filled.

USA has a nice chance at going somewhere this time.
  • Options
    Jumb0 said:

I presume we all remember the World Cup in the US in 1994, where Sweden won the bronze.

• Options

Hoping for a Group A draw 
  • Options
    Jumb0 said:

I presume we all remember the World Cup in the US in 1994, where Sweden won the bronze.

We tied you and the US wasn't nearly as good back then as they are today.  We have Pulisic now.
  • Options
    For those is the US the draw will be on FS1 at 1130 eastern 
  • Options
    This world cup draw show is quite a scene.  It feels like this is from a bad movie!  And it's taking forever....
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,598
    Ummmmmmmmmmmmmm....yes, please....
  • Options
    Oof! Cameroon stuck in Group G with Brazil.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    USA looking good to get an advance.  They own England, Iran tries and not sure whom that playoff spot will be but I like what we have so far.
  • Options
    USA looking good to get an advance.  They own England, Iran tries and not sure whom that playoff spot will be but I like what we have so far.

It's a good draw for sure. The playoff spot is Wales vs Scotland/Ukraine. Wales would be the toughest of the 3, but all in all nothing impossible. 

Matchup with group A in the knockout round. If we can go into this thing at full health, we have the chance to make a deep run.
  • Options
    Jumb0 said:

It's a good draw for sure. The playoff spot is Wales vs Scotland/Ukraine. Wales would be the toughest of the 3, but all in all nothing impossible. 

Matchup with group A in the knockout round. If we can go into this thing at full health, we have the chance to make a deep run.
    For toughest I see Group E and H.  All the others look well tiered.

Like you said though, anything is possible.  I'll be glad to see Pulisic play.
  • Options
    dankind said:
    Oof! Cameroon stuck in Group G with Brazil.
    And if Costa Rica beats the Kiwis, it looks they'd be stuck in Group E.

I predict that my World Cup viewing will be short lived. 

Balls.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Ummmmmmmmmmmmmm....yes, please....
    That’s a pretty nice draw. Group A would have been even better!  USA vs England is the Friday after thanksgiving. That’s going to be a great weekend right there!
  • Options
    Jumb0 said:

Wales have qualified for their first World Cup since 1958! I honestly wasn't sure if I'd ever see the day  :)

It's a shame that Ukraine didn't make it as they played really well, but Hennessey had the game of his life in our goal today

(Tim Rogers)