Options

The Taco Thread!

Comments

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,677
    At Del Taco as I type.

for burritos....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,378
    mickeyrat said:
    At Del Taco as I type.

for burritos....
    Del Burrito?
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,104
    What is cilantro in English 
    You call it Coriander, I believe
    Yes, cilantro is the Spanish word for the coriander plant.

In cooking, as I understand it, cilantro refers to the leaves of the plant and coriander refers to the dried and ground seeds.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    Anyone find their way to South Philly, hit me up, never spent any real time in SoCal, but we have a taqueria every 30 feet
    Legitimate contender for best taco is South Philly Barbacoa
    Haven't tried a bunch of them I've read about or seen.  
    In South Jersey I've found two places that are strong. 
    Lots of places that are not strong.  
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    At Del Taco as I type.

for burritos....
    Del Taco I would always get the Chicken Soft Tacos and a regular Quesadilla.  I like them soooo much more than Taco Bell.

Mind you this is when I can't get proper tacos.

Anyone ever try El Pollo Loco?  You made your own tacos.  The gave you like a fast food kit to go, lol.
  • Options
    mfc2006 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    At Del Taco as I type.

for burritos....
    Del Burrito?
    My blasphemous brother would order the Double Dell.  A friggin Hamburger...
  • Options
    What is cilantro in English 
    You call it Coriander, I believe
    Yes, cilantro is the Spanish word for the coriander plant.

In cooking, as I understand it, cilantro refers to the leaves of the plant and coriander refers to the dried and ground seeds.
    Close.  You have coriander seeds yes but the plant itself is coriander or cilantro.  based on your geography it is called something different.

Interesting as I have always thought different!
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,448
    where do you stand on the “chalupa”? :lol:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,835
    Mexico is pretty big. I don't know enough about the history of the taco, but there must be regional variations, no?
    But yeah, I'm used to the tacos you described- slow cooked pork, cilantro, onion, hot sauce, and squeeze of lime.

• Options
    Wobbie said:
    where do you stand on the “chalupa”? :lol:
    There was a comedian that joked about him Mom calling him in for lunch to eat his Taco bellgrande.  I forgot who it was but it was funny.
  • Options
    eddiec said:
    Mexico is pretty big. I don't know enough about the history of the taco, but there must be regional variations, no?
    But yeah, I'm used to the tacos you described- slow cooked pork, cilantro, onion, hot sauce, and squeeze of lime.

I'm sure.  Here in NY I ask for Albondigas at what is perceived as a Authentic Mexican restaurant and I get looked at like I have 10 heads...
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    bbiggs said:
    And it's funny how the "American" version came about.  All of a sudden people thought tomatoes and lettuce on a taco was a good idea?  Or beans and rice?  Interesting evolution of the taco.
    Funny story about the lettuce, tomato, & cheese.  A few years back, this guy from Texas who grew up near the Mexico border moved here and opened a taco shop. Delicious authentic tacos. Dude basically worked 16 hours a day day (store was open 8 hrs), hand-rolling tortillas, braising meats, and of course, making tacos for customers. 

We had lunch delivered at work one day from him. I had been there several times, and so had one of my coworkers and we both raved about it to all our other coworkers. So the delivery comes and damn near everyone was bitching and moaning. “This is just meat & onion! Where’s the lettuce? There’s no cheese on mine! What, no tomato?! This isn’t a taco! I’m not ordering from there again!” etc.  

I live in the boonies and most ppl around here have never even left our podunk county. Their idea of taco is an Old El Paso kit from the grocery store. I was cracking the hell up at all the hysteria… and enjoying the fuck out of my tacos!
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,825
    I love tacos, and agree that traditionally they don't have lettuce or tomatoes. I can't eat cilantro, though. It tastes like soap. When I order tacos, if there is an option I like to top mine with pico de gallo, guac, sour cream, and hot sauce. I don't need the lettuce. But I do like shredded lettuce in my burritos. I also like my tacos with a soft shell. However, how many of us have a soft spot for those hard shell tacos we used to get in school lunches? They almost had sloppy Joe filling in it with lettuce and tomatoes and shredded orange cheese. I can still conjure up that taste.
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:
    I love tacos, and agree that traditionally they don't have lettuce or tomatoes. I can't eat cilantro, though. It tastes like soap. When I order tacos, if there is an option I like to top mine with pico de gallo, guac, sour cream, and hot sauce. I don't need the lettuce. But I do like shredded lettuce in my burritos. I also like my tacos with a soft shell. However, how many of us have a soft spot for those hard shell tacos we used to get in school lunches? They almost had sloppy Joe filling in it with lettuce and tomatoes and shredded orange cheese. I can still conjure up that taste.
    I lived in socal and never had a hard taco for lunch.  What is this madness?  I was duped!

Strangest thing I got was a corn dog in socal.  Never saw or heard of a corndog in NY.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,448
    eddiec said:

I'm sure.  Here in NY I ask for Albondigas at what is perceived as a Authentic Mexican restaurant and I get looked at like I have 10 heads...
    we stumbled (drunk) into a pretty authentic mexican place in NYC….close to the UN, I think….I could never find it again, but it was packed and damn good.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,825
    GlowGirl said:
    I lived in socal and never had a hard taco for lunch.  What is this madness?  I was duped!

Strangest thing I got was a corn dog in socal.  Never saw or heard of a corndog in NY.
    You never had taco day at school? I grew up in Maryland outside of DC, and we definitely looked forward to taco day in elementary school. The bottom of the taco shell would get really oily. Anyone else remember these?

BTW, there are these Korean corn dog places showing up all over my neighborhood in NYC. Haven't been yet, but they are becoming a trend here.

• Options
    GlowGirl said:
    GlowGirl said:

You never had taco day at school? I grew up in Maryland outside of DC, and we definitely looked forward to taco day in elementary school. The bottom of the taco shell would get really oily. Anyone else remember these?

BTW, there are these Korean corn dog places showing up all over my neighborhood in NYC. Haven't been yet, but they are becoming a trend here.

Nope.  No taco day.  We had pizza and hamburger days that were looked at as good days.  All the others I bagged lunch.
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    eddiec said:

we stumbled (drunk) into a pretty authentic mexican place in NYC….close to the UN, I think….I could never find it again, but it was packed and damn good.
    I judge a place by their salsa.  If that is good then the food will be too.
  • Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,488
    I grew up in San Jose CA, and the way to find the best Mexican food was to search out the restaurants that weren't much bigger than a household kitchen. They were always the best and if someone's abuela or tia were doing the cooking, you knew what was up.
  • Options
    I grew up in San Jose CA, and the way to find the best Mexican food was to search out the restaurants that weren't much bigger than a household kitchen. They were always the best and if someone's abuela or tia were doing the cooking, you knew what was up.
    Yessss!  One w outdoor dining only!
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,378
    Wobbie said:
    eddiec said:

I judge a place by their salsa.  If that is good then the food will be too.
    Bingo
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,112
    Carne asada
    al pastor
    carnitas

Those are my faves
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    What is your take on breakfast tacos? 

I am 100% with the two corn tortillas three ingredients school.   Cant stand when I get a taco that looks like a sideways Big Mac.  As far as cheese goes, I think a sprinkle of queso fresco is completely acceptable.  Just none of that orange stuff!

And GlowGirl, yes, grew up in CT and hard shell tacos prepared using ground beef and the El Paso taco kit were a staple of my youth.  Once in a blue moon I will get a hard shell from Taco Bell to relive that flavor and texture. 
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,235
    GlowGirl said:
    DELICIOUS.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Get_Right said:
    What is your take on breakfast tacos? 

I am 100% with the two corn tortillas three ingredients school.   Cant stand when I get a taco that looks like a sideways Big Mac.  As far as cheese goes, I think a sprinkle of queso fresco is completely acceptable.  Just none of that orange stuff!

And GlowGirl, yes, grew up in CT and hard shell tacos prepared using ground beef and the El Paso taco kit were a staple of my youth.  Once in a blue moon I will get a hard shell from Taco Bell to relive that flavor and texture. 
    On the weekends I make breakfast BURRITOS!!!

• Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Taco 🌮 Tuesday???
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,250
    There isn't much better than a taco.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    Breakfast taco is good but I go for the breakfast burrito.
    San Diego fish taco - really good.

And there are loads of regional differences on Mexico.  Mexico City is meant to be the Mecca.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,968
    Tis Tuesday.

Taco Tuesday.

Don't put pizza in a tortilla and call it a taco...
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    Love me some Tapatio! Do not know why I do not make more breakfast burritos.  So easy and good.