Options

The Taco Thread!

This should be a short discussion.  A "Taco" traditionally is a corn tortilla, meat, cilantro and onion.  Once you put cheese on it, that makes it a burrito.

Placing Kung Pao Chicken in a tortilla does not make it a Taco.  It makes it Kung Pao Chicken in a tortilla...

THIS is a Taco
Street Tacos  Norine39s Nest

This abomination is not...
Using Leftovers Mac and Cheese Steak Tacos - Pass The SushiIt may look good but it's not a damn taco and for all of you still putting pineapple on your pizzas stop it...

Rant over.

Comments

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,338
    No cheese in a taco? Blasphemy. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    What is cilantro in English 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    A goofy looking Parsley that tastes different and is found in Europe.  
  • Options
    Ain't a taco then...  Despite what Bart Scott says, there is no cheese on a taco don't believe what Taco Bell tells you either..
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,667
    You call it Coriander, I believe
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    It turns into coriander after it bolts. So baby coriander then, lol?
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    Some taco spots are now even showing options as Mexican or American tacos which always cracks me up.  The Mexican version being meat, onion, cilantro on corn tortilla.  Hot sauce/ salsa is allowed too.  Still authentic.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,667
    edited December 2021
    There are variations on tacos.  
    I agree with the base assessment, however living in SoCal for twenty years and making many journeys into Mexico, there are lots of ways to serve and eat this important food.
    (I know you lived there, as well.)
    Plenty of options include cheese.  :)
    Even in Boyle Heights.  Even in food trucks, where some of the greatest tacos can be found.

• Options
    bbiggs said:
    Some taco spots are now even showing options as Mexican or American tacos which always cracks me up.  The Mexican version being meat, onion, cilantro on corn tortilla.  Hot sauce/ salsa is allowed too.  Still authentic.
    Yes, hot sauce, pico or salsa is acceptable.

I am glad you know your tacos!
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    And it's funny how the "American" version came about.  All of a sudden people thought tomatoes and lettuce on a taco was a good idea?  Or beans and rice?  Interesting evolution of the taco.
  • Options
    I agree with the base assessment, however living in SoCal for twenty years and making many journeys into Mexico, there are lots of ways to serve and eat this important food.
    Even in Boyle Heights.  Even in food trucks, where some of the greatest tacos can be found.

The traditional taco has lost it's way to the ever changing palate of the gringo and to channel their inner pockets the food trucks have had to evolve to satisfy this.

So it is written... 
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    And it's funny how the "American" version came about.  All of a sudden people thought tomatoes and lettuce on a taco was a good idea?  Or beans and rice?  Interesting evolution of the taco.
    When I do burritos I am all for loading it up.  Traditional tacos though?  3 ingredients on a corn tortilla!
  • Options

The traditional taco has lost it's way to the ever changing palate of the gringo and to channel their inner pockets the food trucks have had to evolve to satisfy this.

So it is written... 
    Ha.  A never ending debate.  Mingling with people at 130am on a random street in downtown LA area was how I was introduced to real tacos in 1992.
    Been a love affair, ever since.

• Options

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

So it is written... 
    Ha.  A never ending debate.  Mingling with people at 130am on a random street in downtown LA area was how I was introduced to real tacos in 1992.

I used to work as a security guard ay a place called Heidis Cakes in SoCal in the early 90's.  The workers took me to a real authentic Mexican place that served Menudo, cabasa, cerebro.  When I saw that they had brain, intestine and head on the menu I will admit I was a little gun shy, lol.  Good stuff.

Another great place to get tacos was a taco stand in Freemont right NeXT to the Stalin Statue.  My fellow deckhand from SoCal introduced me to that spot.  That was mid 90's.
  • Options

Taco Bell Gordita?
  • Options

Taco Bell Gordita?
    Maybe. I just googled cheese in tacos. This gringo loves him some cheese in tacos!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,605
    Waaaaaaiiiit what?!?!  Cilantro=Coriander?

Consider my mind blown, especially considering I use both often
  • Options

Taco Bell Gordita?
    Maybe. I just googled cheese in tacos. This gringo loves him some cheese in tacos!
    You can google Fruit Tacos too, don't make it a taco.

Here is a menu from a popular spot that I can't eat at...

Dirty NEWpng
  • Options
    Oh and it's a damn burrito then!
  • Options
    Waaaaaaiiiit what?!?!  Cilantro=Coriander?

Consider my mind blown, especially considering I use both often
    I'm wrong on that.  I thought when it bolted it turned to coriander.

Both are the same thing.  I just learned something.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

So it is written... 

Trejo’s Tacos! I’m not a huge taco lover but theirs are more badass than the man. 
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,150
    GD, Chris, this thread wins Wednesday! Taqueiria Don Poncho here in Columbia is pretty amazing. 

https://www.yelp.com/biz/taqueria-don-pancho-columbia
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    I grow  coriander.  Nice
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,527
    We went to dinner at our local Mexican restaurant a while back. My daughter, who was raised in Southern Illinois but should still know better, asked for "Queso cheese" to dip her tortilla chips in. I looked at her and asked her why she asked for "cheese cheese?" I got the ultimate RBF, which she has Olympic quality abilities in. 
  • Options
    We went to dinner at our local Mexican restaurant a while back. My daughter, who was raised in Southern Illinois but should still know better, asked for "Queso cheese" to dip her tortilla chips in. I looked at her and asked her why she asked for "cheese cheese?" I got the ultimate RBF, which she has Olympic quality abilities in. 
    OMG this cracked me up, hahahahaha!!!

Queso is unheard of in socal!
  • Options
    GD, Chris, this thread wins Wednesday! Taqueiria Don Poncho here in Columbia is pretty amazing. 

https://www.yelp.com/biz/taqueria-don-pancho-columbia
    Dude, you have a proper spot by you!  I'd eat there any day!
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,605
    Anyone find their way to South Philly, hit me up, never spent any real time in SoCal, but we have a taqueria every 30 feet
  • Options
    Anyone find their way to South Philly, hit me up, never spent any real time in SoCal, but we have a taqueria every 30 feet
    Read the menu I posted from the Dirty Taco.  I can't stand that place...
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    Corn tortilla, meat (I prefer steak), cilantro & onions with some hot sauce is definitely the way to go. 

That being said, I'm also from Texas. So, I love Tex-Mex tacos & spicy queso. 
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com