Options

The most "ahead of it's time" albums you know of.

Comments

• Options
    hihobibo said:
    Saw it already listed, but Jane's Addiction Nothings Shocking was definitely ahead of its time.

Operation Ivy also was an outstanding project that has stood the test of time. 
    Op Ivy is a great call.

Fishbone, Mighty Mighty Bosstones, The Specials were all before them though?
    Fair enough

I will say they were part of that next wave that came through w No Doubt, Sublime, Safe Ferris, Reel Big Fish.

Forgot about Save Ferris.  Saw them a bunch of times when in college, my buddy's band played a lot of the same crappy gigs as them.  If memory servers a member of my buddy's band was in a ska band called One Legged Bob which either shared members with Save Ferris or someone was banging someone else from the band...something like that.
    Anyway, I didn't love them.  I didn't love most of the sounds we sat through to support our friend's band.  Did a loooooot of drinking at dumphole places.  :lol:      
    Were you in Socal during that time? 93-97 ska had a big following.  Swing dancing made a comeback in the Bay area too.  Quite a fun time to be alive.
    Yes, in LA from 92-2012.  In the 90s was out seeing music a lot.
    Late 90's I saw a band called Into The Sky at the Whisky.  They had a web address which I thought was wild.  They handed out cards w it.  I'll never forget that.  Obviously they never made it.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,643
    hihobibo said:
    Saw it already listed, but Jane's Addiction Nothings Shocking was definitely ahead of its time.

Operation Ivy also was an outstanding project that has stood the test of time. 
    Op Ivy is a great call.

Fishbone, Mighty Mighty Bosstones, The Specials were all before them though?
    Fair enough

I will say they were part of that next wave that came through w No Doubt, Sublime, Safe Ferris, Reel Big Fish.

Forgot about Save Ferris.  Saw them a bunch of times when in college, my buddy's band played a lot of the same crappy gigs as them.  If memory servers a member of my buddy's band was in a ska band called One Legged Bob which either shared members with Save Ferris or someone was banging someone else from the band...something like that.
    Anyway, I didn't love them.  I didn't love most of the sounds we sat through to support our friend's band.  Did a loooooot of drinking at dumphole places.  :lol:      
    Were you in Socal during that time? 93-97 ska had a big following.  Swing dancing made a comeback in the Bay area too.  Quite a fun time to be alive.
    Yes, in LA from 92-2012.  In the 90s was out seeing music a lot.
    Late 90's I saw a band called Into The Sky at the Whisky.  They had a web address which I thought was wild.  They handed out cards w it.  I'll never forget that.  Obviously they never made it.

Drank my way through many evenings at all of those spots.  The Teaser was a consistent one.  Was the starting point of many nights of adventure.
    It was fun being in my 20s in LA but just soooo many dumb things.

Sure I saw lots of cool bands that I didn't think much about, was too wrapped up in whatever else was going on that particular night.

One band I loved was Electric Eel Shock -- they were the only Japanese Heavy Metal band I can recall playing multiple times per year in LA/OC.  Dudes loved fishing, drinking, and playing metal. 

I know others shared it but Radiohead seems like an obvious one for our demo.  Because of this thread I listened to some yesterday - so much good stuff.  Hail to the Thief is my favorite - feel like it combined the crazy computer stuff they were doing with the rock in a way that worked better, for me at least. 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,300
    DJ Shadow - Endtroducing…

Nine Inch Nails - Pretty Hate Machine

Chemical Brothers - Exit Planet Dust

UNKLE - Psyence Fiction
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    goldrush said:
    DJ Shadow - Endtroducing…

Nine Inch Nails - Pretty Hate Machine

Chemical Brothers - Exit Planet Dust

UNKLE - Psyence Fiction
    I thought about naming the Chemical Bros but there were plenty of electronic music going around before them, they just made it bigger.

NIN I didn't include because you had Ministry doing it before them and that all came around from Joy Division.

• Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,921
    Someone may have already said this one:

Ramones album - Wikipedia

• Options
    Jimi - Are You Experienced?

The Byrds - Younger Than Yesterday, or Fifth Dimension

Captain Beefheart - Trout Mask Replica

Violent Femmes - Violent Femmes

Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation

(Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    Any of the DJ's from the Burroughs in the 70's should be listed.  I mentioned Kutis Blow but Kool Herc, Bimbata, Grandmaster Flash and Caz were slightly before him.

If you haven't watched the show The Getdown you should.  It makes sense of that time.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,757
    goldrush said:

Trout Mask Replica, good choice!  The world still hasn't caught up with Mr. Van Vliet!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    goldrush said:

Trout Mask Replica, good choice!  The world still hasn't caught up with Mr. Van Vliet!
    Do the Beatles get a spot at this table?  Didn't they change music with their overdubs and harmony's?
  • Options
    pjpjpaulpjpjpaul Posts: 1,655
    The Fascinating World of Electronic Music by (1959) by Tom Dissevelt and Kid Baltan 
    Music For Robots (1961) by Forrest J. Ackerman and Frank Cole (spoken word and electronic)
    Another Green World by Eno 
    Violator by Depeche Mode 
    Untrue by Burial 
    Dots and Loops by Stereolab 
    Faust IV by Faust
    Cosmogramma by Flying Lotus 
    Contact by Silver Apples
    You by Gong 

Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    Philly (Spectrum) 10/31/2009
    DC 2010 (Jiffy Lube Live)
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    goldrush said:

Do the Beatles get a spot at this table?  Didn't they change music with their overdubs and harmony's?

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band certainly pushed the limits of technology when it came out.  It's astounding what they were able to do with just four tracks!
    I'm not sure I would giving them groundbreaking status for their harmonies, but they sure are awesome!

pjpjpaul said:
    The Fascinating World of Electronic Music by (1959) by Tom Dissevelt and Kid Baltan 
    Music For Robots (1961) by Forrest J. Ackerman and Frank Cole (spoken word and electronic)
    Another Green World by Eno 
    Violator by Depeche Mode 
    Untrue by Burial 
    Dots and Loops by Stereolab 
    Faust IV by Faust
    Cosmogramma by Flying Lotus 
    Contact by Silver Apples
    You by Gong 

Another Green World by Eno in 1975, yes!  Especially considering what Eno and Robert Fripp were doing with tape loops and Frippertronics and Sky Saw guitar.  Remarkable!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Les Pauls New Sound has to be considered too.
  • Options

Whoa!  I have a few Les Paul & Mary Fords records but not this one.  I just read up on it and wondered, "How have I not know about this one?"  Gotta look for it. 
    Well done, bud!

• Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    I was just thinking "Wow, tempo_n_groove is giving brianlux a run for his massive music-encyclopedia-mind-of-knowledge!" You're both crazy knowledgeable about such a range of artists!
  • Options
    JH6056 said:
    I was just thinking "Wow, tempo_n_groove is giving brianlux a run for his massive music-encyclopedia-mind-of-knowledge!" You're both crazy knowledgeable about such a range of artists!
    I love threads like this because there’s always a chance you’ll find something you’ve never heard before. 
    Thanks @brianlux =)

(Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    JH6056 said:
    Very kind of you to say so, JH.  :smile: Tempo has the music pulse too, that's for sure!
    LOL, I'm laughing because my wife has said to me a number of times, "You know so much about all kinds of music!"  I tell her, "I wish!" and go on to explain that every quarter, I receive Jack Rabid's excellent The Big Take Over music periodical.  In the back of each issue are pages and pages of record reviews.  I have delved into a lot of music- particularly music since the advent of recording- but I'm lagging in keeping up with all the new stuff.  Partly because there is SO MUCH of it!  This is especially true now because so much music is accessible through streaming or on FLAC files and Band Camp, etc.  So when I go through all of those pages and pages of reviews, I'm astounded by how much music is out there that I don't know!  So someone like Jack is really the king of music knowledge.  He knows tons about both earlier recorded music and the current output.  Of course he does have one advantage- it's how he makes his living.   I race along, trying to keep up! 
    goldrush said:
    JH6056 said:
    I love threads like this because there’s always a chance you’ll find something you’ve never heard before. 
    Thanks @brianlux =)

Sure thing, my friend!  I really enjoy reading all the input that get infused in these threads.  Thanks to everyone for great ideas and input!
    You're so right- there's always something different to discover out there.  One of the things I love most about music (and the same with books), is that there is so much out there to discover.  It's like a deep well that you can draw on seemingly endlessly.  And the music that resonate with us the most closely becomes almost like part of out DNA or like a close friend and becomes the soundtrack for our lives.

• Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited October 2021
    My Bloody Valentine - Loveless 
    Harmonium - Les Cinq Saisons (The Five Seasons)
    In the Court of the Crimson King - King Crimson
    Almost any Sun-Ra record
    Dragonfly - s/t
    The Feelies - The Good Earth
    Opeth - Ghost Reveries
    Bad Brains - s/t
    King’s X - Out of the Silent Planet
    Can - Tago Mago
    Dinosaur Jr - Bug
    TSOL - Dance With Me
    Adolescents - s/t
    Black Sabbath - s/t
    Rush - Caress of Steel
    Ministry - The Mind is a Terrible Thing to Taste

Post edited by 1ThoughtKnown on
  • Options
    All three Beta Band EPs. 
  • Options
    Almost any Sun-Ra record
    Dragonfly - s/t
    Opeth - Ghost Reveries
    Bad Brains - s/t
    Can - Tago Mago
    Dinosaur Jr - Bug
    TSOL - Dance With Me
    Adolescents - s/t
    Black Sabbath - s/t
    Rush - Caress of Steel

Extra big YES's on Sun Ra and Bad Brains!

I started to include Sun Ra on my original list, but then wasn't sure which album to list. Right on saying they're all worthy of this distinction!
  • Options
    goldrush said:
    JH6056 said:
    Thanks @brianlux =)
    Yup, I love these convos for discovering new stuff, and also for being reminded of old stuff I always meant to dive deeper into but never have. That was a silver-lining of lockdown, so much music to catch up on... Which of course I barely did because somehow still time went by too fast.

So thanks for the reminders & the new (to me) inspirations!
  • Options
    JH6056 said:
    Almost any Sun-Ra record
    Dragonfly - s/t
    Opeth - Ghost Reveries
    Bad Brains - s/t
    Can - Tago Mago
    Dinosaur Jr - Bug
    TSOL - Dance With Me
    Adolescents - s/t
    Black Sabbath - s/t
    Rush - Caress of Steel

I started to include Sun Ra on my original list, but then wasn't sure which album to list. Right on saying they're all worthy of this distinction!
    I was in exactly the same boat. It’s pretty incredible when an artist can say almost ALL of their catalogue was ahead of its time. Usually, popular culture catches up. Sun Ra stayed ahead of whatever was going on, which tells you how far ahead of his time the early stuff was. 
    Over 100 full-length albums… it is mind boggling really. 

• Options
    JH6056 said:
    Almost any Sun-Ra record
    Dragonfly - s/t
    Opeth - Ghost Reveries
    Bad Brains - s/t
    Can - Tago Mago
    Dinosaur Jr - Bug
    TSOL - Dance With Me
    Adolescents - s/t
    Black Sabbath - s/t
    Rush - Caress of Steel

JH6056 said:
    Almost any Sun-Ra record
    Dragonfly - s/t
    Opeth - Ghost Reveries
    Bad Brains - s/t
    Can - Tago Mago
    Dinosaur Jr - Bug
    TSOL - Dance With Me
    Adolescents - s/t
    Black Sabbath - s/t
    Rush - Caress of Steel

I was in exactly the same boat. It’s pretty incredible when an artist can say almost ALL of their catalogue was ahead of its time. Usually, popular culture catches up. Sun Ra stayed ahead of whatever was going on, which tells you how far ahead of his time the early stuff was. 

Well said, both!  Another big thumbs up for Sun Ra!  I'm so incredibly lucky to have seen the Arkestra three times over a long period of time.  Amazing performances!
    He was certainly always ahead of his time and practically outside of time all together! 
    Same with Arkestra long-time members John Gilmore, Pat Patrick, Ronnie Boykins, and special mention of Allen Marshall who at 97 still carries on the work of the Arkestra.  A friend of mine saw them do an outdoor show back east just a few months ago. 
    All love for Allen Marshall!

• Options
    brianlux said:
    JH6056 said:
    Almost any Sun-Ra record
    Dragonfly - s/t
    Opeth - Ghost Reveries
    Bad Brains - s/t
    Can - Tago Mago
    Dinosaur Jr - Bug
    TSOL - Dance With Me
    Adolescents - s/t
    Black Sabbath - s/t
    Rush - Caress of Steel

JH6056 said:
    Almost any Sun-Ra record
    Dragonfly - s/t
    Opeth - Ghost Reveries
    Bad Brains - s/t
    Can - Tago Mago
    Dinosaur Jr - Bug
    TSOL - Dance With Me
    Adolescents - s/t
    Black Sabbath - s/t
    Rush - Caress of Steel

Well said, both!  Another big thumbs up for Sun Ra!  I'm so incredibly lucky to have seen the Arkestra three times over a long period of time.  Amazing performances!
    He was certainly always ahead of his time and practically outside of time all together! 
    Same with Arkestra long-time members John Gilmore, Pat Patrick, Ronnie Boykins, and special mention of Allen Marshall who at 97 still carries on the work of the Arkestra.  A friend of mine saw them do an outdoor show back east just a few months ago. 

It gets even more mind boggling. I would jump at the chance to see them live.  
  • Options
    brianlux said:

Brianlux that's just INSANE that you got to see them THREE times!!! Wow!

And yes on Allen Marshall, I think the first live show that the guy who does Tiny Desk concerts on NPR saw as lockdown was lifting might have been Allen Marshall! I could have that wrong, but if Bob Boilen is going to break out of lockdown with that show, you KNOW it has to be most special!  (But I could have that wrong, he did just post his first live show was Lucy Dacus this past weekend so...)
  • Options
    JH6056 said:
    brianlux said:

Brianlux that's just INSANE that you got to see them THREE times!!! Wow!

And yes on Allen Marshall, I think the first live show that the guy who does Tiny Desk concerts on NPR saw as lockdown was lifting might have been Allen Marshall! I could have that wrong, but if Bob Boilen is going to break out of lockdown with that show, you KNOW it has to be most special!  (But I could have that wrong, he did just post his first live show was Lucy Dacus this past weekend so...)

Yes indeed J! I am SO fortunate for those experiences. 
    The first show took place in the Planetarium in Golden Gate Park in 1970 and it was unworldly!  What a great place to see this band and it was at a time when the Arkestra was spending a lot of time in Oakland so the band was very loose yet together.  After all these years, I still get goose bumps just thinking about it!
    The second time I saw them was in 1987 in this great old theater in Oakland and again, they were insanely good.  And, OMG,  to top it off, Cecil Taylor opened for them.  Just a crazy good show!
    I saw them for the third time in '88 at Slims in San Francisco.  That was not as good a show as the others but I think it had a lot to do with the venue.  Boz Scaggs' club had become kind of an "in" place to go see shows and it seemed almost as if people went there for themselves to be seen.  The Arkestra was never "trendy", so for them to perform in that type of venue was odd and a bit off, but I was very thankful for the opportunity to see them one more time. 

• Options
    brianlux said:

Whoa!  I have a few Les Paul & Mary Fords records but not this one.  I just read up on it and wondered, "How have I not know about this one?"  Gotta look for it. 
    Well done, bud!
    JH6056 said:
    TY both.  I love the history of music and have thought many times when did the music change?  What was the catalyst for that change?  What sound did you hear from them that brought it out.

Also Brian I agree with you on how much music is out there.  i am more impressed when I name off bands and someone else has actually heard of them!  There is just wayyyyyy too much music out there  Finding something new and groundbreaking now is just difficult.  Billie Eilish and her brother are killing it making records but Sylvan Esso is basically the same thing and you could say that electronic music and a singer duo goes back to the Eurythmics but it's not the start of electronic...

Music is fun and a passion.  Please keep these coming.

• Options
    Do Kiss and Alice Cooper get a mention for shock rock?  They pretty much opened the doors on theatrics.
  • Options
    brianlux said:

Well done, bud!
    JH6056 said:
    TY both.  I love the history of music and have thought many times when did the music change?  What was the catalyst for that change?  What sound did you hear from them that brought it out.

Also Brian I agree with you on how much music is out there.  i am more impressed when I name off bands and someone else has actually heard of them!  There is just wayyyyyy too much music out there  Finding something new and groundbreaking now is just difficult.  Billie Eilish and her brother are killing it making records but Sylvan Esso is basically the same thing and you could say that electronic music and a singer duo goes back to the Eurythmics but it's not the start of electronic...

Music is fun and a passion.  Please keep these coming.

Good point!  On the one hand, I love it that there is an almost endless amount of music out there, yet it can be a bit overwhelming at times.  One of the things I LOVE about the internet is being able to sample music.  Back in the stone age (or was it "stoned age"?  I can't remember), we had to seek out new music by the luck of being turned on to it through someone else's record collection, or through "underground" stations that played more obscure stuff late into the night.  Now days we can do a quick search, give a little listen, and give it a pass or give it some more play time.  Cool!

• Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,838
    JH6056 said:
    Buy blux's book. A good trip to a lot of shows. 
  • Options
    Here is an odd one.  DJ Screw.  He was a main upstart of the "third coast" rap movement called Chopped and Screwed.  If you heard Mike Jones, Paul Wall and Slim Thug and the slowed down hooks then that is DJ Screws influence.  

To me he was the last innovator with the turntables.

DJ Screw was different.  And good!