Options

The most "ahead of it's time" albums you know of.

Comments

• Options
    Do Kiss and Alice Cooper get a mention for shock rock?  They pretty much opened the doors on theatrics.
    I am still asking this question.
  • Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    edited October 2021
    Do Kiss and Alice Cooper get a mention for shock rock?  They pretty much opened the doors on theatrics.
    I dunno... I think of bands like Genesis with Peter Gabriel, and Labelle, and probably several others I'm blanking on who formed earlier than Kiss & Cooper; bands who were very theatrical in what they did, and I just think Kiss and Alice Cooper took it to another level of visibility, but I'm not sure they were "ahead of their time" overall?

I wouldn't argue strongly against it if they were included in this category, but I'm not really feelin' it myself. And I love both bands!
  • Options
    JH6056 said:
    I dunno... I think of bands like Genesis with Peter Gabriel, and Labelle, and probably several others I'm blanking on who formed earlier than Kiss & Cooper; bands who were very theatrical in what they did, and I just think Kiss and Alice Cooper took it to another level of visibility, but I'm not sure they were "ahead of their time" overall?

I wouldn't argue strongly against it if they were included in this category, but I'm not really feelin' it myself. And I love both bands!
    Performance and theatrics I would consider different as Genesis and Kiss both played music and performed but Kiss was a Carnival if you will.
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,921
    When I think of theatrics I go with Bowie. 
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:
    Didn't he start all that Ziggy Stardust stuff after Iggy Pop though whom I believe was after Kiss and Cooper too?
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,838
    This needs to be a weekend course. With props. I'd sign up.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,757
    Loujoe said:
    This needs to be a weekend course. With props. I'd sign up.

Sounds like a plan!  Sign me up, Loujoe!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    GlowGirl said:
    Didn't he start all that Ziggy Stardust stuff after Iggy Pop though whom I believe was after Kiss and Cooper too?
    I don't know when Iggy Pop started, but Hunky Dory was '71 and Ziggy Stardust '72.  Kiss formed in '73 and I don't know how long it was before they were recognized for their antics.

I will admit that Wikipedia says they "are considered to be one of the most influential bands of all time", but I also think Gene Simmons probably wrote their Wike page. ;)

Thanks though GlowGirl, I knew I was missing someone I think of as wildly influential & pre-Kiss when I posted my Genesis/Labelle point!
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,921
    edited October 2021
    We might have to add the New York Dolls to the list of influential theatrical bands. They formed in 1971. 

• Options
    GlowGirl said:
    We might have to add the New York Dolls to the list of influential theatrical bands. They formed in 1971. 

Excellent choice! 
    Whenever I was the extras in the DVD of the film "All Dolled Up", I'm blown away by how far ahead of the curves these guys were.  For example,  David Johansen in "Vietnamese Baby"... wow!  Wish I could find a link, but it's fantastic!
    All Dolled Up A New York Dolls Story 2005 - IMDb

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    biz999biz999 Posts: 172
    just want to say this is a great thread that makes me think, reminisce, and learn new things!
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:

How the hell did I forget them?
  • Options
    This album, particularly Side B

Whereas Black Flag had previously played fast hardcore music this album alienated some of the fans as it had a slower, heavier sound. Particularly on Side B it draws from heavy metal influences. 
    This album really struck a chord with Buzz Osborne in particular. The Melvins slowed down their music and became a sludge metal proto-grunge band.  The Melvins influenced the entire Seattle music scene. 
  • Options

Another album was ahead of its time. It’s still might be. Just timeless:

• Options
    edited October 2021
    Oh YEAH, double "How did we miss those??" re: Talking Heads & NY Dolls!

Also I read a fascinating article a few weeks ago about Talking Heads' "Remain In Light", how not only is the music itself groundbreaking and impactful, but HOW they recorded it was so innovative and not what most people were doing then.  I can't remember details and can't stop to look for article, but if I can find it later I'll post.
    Post edited by JH6056 on
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835
    I don't think I own ONE album mentioned in this thread so far. haha
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    biz999biz999 Posts: 172
    edited October 2021
    Loujoe said:
    Frank Zappa (any record) thinking Joe's Garage. I think he is so ahead of his time it hasn't come yet. Apostrophe is crazy too. If you can stomach it, listen many times if you want to surprise your brain repeatedly.
    I have tried to understand Zappa and just can't get there. Definitely talented and unique but I just don't get the music.
    Zappa was an absolute genius and held all of his musicians accountable.  He never did drugs but his mind was out there.

Here is part of his greatness.  Yes, that's a young clean shaven Frank Zappa.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9P2V0_p6vE
    Better quality
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBGNuvEZOfc
    Wow, I never saw this. I saw a band open up for Bjork who 'played' the bicycle - I guess it was a homage to Zappa?

side note: at that show I had a standing-room ticket (it was a theatre, so that meant behind the back row on the orchestra level) - and I'm still 95% sure that Bjork herself came and stood beside me and watched that opening band.
    Post edited by biz999 on
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,838
    This album, particularly Side B

Whereas Black Flag had previously played fast hardcore music this album alienated some of the fans as it had a slower, heavier sound. Particularly on Side B it draws from heavy metal influences. 
    This album really struck a chord with Buzz Osborne in particular. The Melvins slowed down their music and became a sludge metal proto-grunge band.  The Melvins influenced the entire Seattle music scene. 
    Had that sucker on cassette. Loved trying to explain to my musician friend it's supposed to sound bad. Lot's of emotion in that 'nothing left inside'
  • Options
    Here's one from 1969 that broke through some of the confines of rock music of the day:
    Sandy Bull - E Pluribus Unumjpg
    And it really has staying power.  It's two cuts, two sides.  Here's my favorite side:

• Options

Great band, great album.  I don't see them as groundbreaking though?
  • Options

I disagree. The mix of Caribbean beats with disco and a sprinkle of rock/punk was all new. That album still sounds weird.  The band and Eno nailed it
  • Options

I disagree. The mix of Caribbean beats with disco and a sprinkle of rock/punk was all new. That album still sounds weird.  The band and Eno nailed it
    It's Ska-lite or just look at James Browns or anything he's done.  It may have changed peoples lives but I think it was done before.

Great album but I don't see it.
  • Options

It's Ska-lite or just look at James Browns or anything he's done.  It may have changed peoples lives but I think it was done before.

It wasn’t done before. I respectfully disagree. 
  • Options

I enjoy discussions like this actually.  it brings out the passion in people.

I can go on about it but I'd like to hear others thoughts to why and then I might retort.
  • Options
    edited October 2021

I enjoy discussions like this actually.  it brings out the passion in people.

I can go on about it but I'd like to hear others thoughts to why and then I might retort.

Talking Heads were a great band, no doubt!  I saw them in '82 and what a show!  This was with that great expanded band that included Adrian Belew, Steve Scales, and Bernie Worrell.  And Byrne's energy was off the charts.  (This was also a time when pretty much everyone was doing coke.  I'm guessing that was an influence. (My friends and I were definitely a bit cranked up pre-show, lol.) That show was a few years after Remain in Light Came out, but what they were doing was still pretty much along that album's path. 
    But I would say their more ground breaking work was from the first couple of albums.  From the get-go, they were combing elements of r&b, soul, and new wave, and Byrnes herky-jerky robotic moves and singing were certainly unusual.  So to me it would be '77 that would rank as their album that was a bit more ahead of it's time.  I wouldn't say hugely so, but it definitely had a distinct flavor within new wave and art-pop/ art-funk. 

• Options
    FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,188

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835
    I fucking LOVED Pantera before the alternative wave. Both CFH and Vulgar. Two top notch metal records. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    FiveBelow said:

Good albums but nothing groundbreaking.
  • Options
    perhaps, without new grass revival, billy strings and greensky bluesgrass would not exist or be flourishing  ;)

• Options
    pick any moment is david's career.
    his version of this song on his last solo tour was beyond anything i have ever witnessed.