Options

The most "ahead of it's time" albums you know of.

Comments

• Options
    brianlux said:

Another album was ahead of its time. It’s still might be. Just timeless:

Great band, great album.  I don't see them as groundbreaking though?
    I disagree. The mix of Caribbean beats with disco and a sprinkle of rock/punk was all new. That album still sounds weird.  The band and Eno nailed it
    It's Ska-lite or just look at James Browns or anything he's done.  It may have changed peoples lives but I think it was done before.

Great album but I don't see it.
    It wasn’t done before. I respectfully disagree. 
    I enjoy discussions like this actually.  it brings out the passion in people.

I can go on about it but I'd like to hear others thoughts to why and then I might retort.

Talking Heads were a great band, no doubt!  I saw them in '82 and what a show!  This was with that great expanded band that included Adrian Belew, Steve Scales, and Bernie Worrell.  And Byrne's energy was off the charts.  (This was also a time when pretty much everyone was doing coke.  I'm guessing that was an influence. (My friends and I were definitely a bit cranked up pre-show, lol.) That show was a few years after Remain in Light Came out, but what they were doing was still pretty much along that album's path. 
    But I would say their more ground breaking work was from the first couple of albums.  From the get-go, they were combing elements of r&b, soul, and new wave, and Byrnes herky-jerky robotic moves and singing were certainly unusual.  So to me it would be '77 that would rank as their album that was a bit more ahead of it's time.  I wouldn't say hugely so, but it definitely had a distinct flavor within new wave and art-pop/ art-funk. 
    Once again, I like those albums as well. This album added in the Haitian influence and Eno introduced the band to Fela Kuti and the Afro Beat.  It’s just such a blend of influences that it really is their most ambitious and ahead of its time record.  

You can also blame Byrne for the shoulder pad suits of the 80s 😂. 

• Options
    FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,188
    I fucking LOVED Pantera before the alternative wave. Both CFH and Vulgar. Two top notch metal records. 
    Getting caught in a Pantera pit as a 15 year old is easily the most frightening concert experience I have had.

tempo_n_groove said:
    FiveBelow said:

Good albums but nothing groundbreaking.
    Of the three, CFH is the one I would push the most as being ahead of it’s time. Pantera’s influence on metal is undeniable and CFH was their coming out party. The other two, you’re right. Both are integral parts of my musical journey but didn’t necessarily differ from previous releases.
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    MC5 Kick Out the Jams
    “Leaving the solar system!”
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Post-punk is a pretty diverse genre, but this album must have blown a lot of minds in 1980. I never heard it until 10 years later
    and had no idea the album was a decade old. Thought it was a new release when my friend played it

• Options

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    edited October 2021
    dankind said:

I don't know how they score on the "most ahead of their time" measuring stick, but I LOVE THEM LIVE. Karen Oh is one of THE most capitvating frontpeople ever to stalk a stage. Love her! And I do think this is a great album.
  • Options
    JH6056 said:
    dankind said:

I don't know how they score on the "most ahead of their time" measuring stick, but I LOVE THEM LIVE. Karen Oh is one of THE most capitvating frontpeople ever to stalk a stage. Love her! And I do think this is a great album.
    I suppose I had heard elements of their sound from other bands, but never quite combined in the way they did here (and continue to do).
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,757
    Jimmy Hendrix Are You Experienced
    Black Sabbath First Album
    Joy Division Unknown Pleasures
    The Bad Brains Pay to Cum
    Van Halen I

This one really stands out.  And now, having seen the film "Control", I'm practically obsessed with this band and Ian Curtis.  It's almost scary.

Joy Division  Unknown Pleasures 1989 Textured Sleeve CD - Discogs
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    Van Halen I

This one really stands out.  And now, having seen the film "Control", I'm practically obsessed with this band and Ian Curtis.  It's almost scary.

If you're really enjoying them why don't you try Brian Jonestown Massacre.  You'll like them too.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835
    I know most of you don't know this album, but for me, the east-meets-west music, the lyrics, groundbreaking for me:

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    brianlux said:
    Van Halen I

If you're really enjoying them why don't you try Brian Jonestown Massacre.  You'll like them too.
    I will check them out (and try not to let my dislike of the name get in the way!)
    I know most of you don't know this album, but for me, the east-meets-west music, the lyrics, groundbreaking for me:

Same with this one!  I will try not to think of it as American politics!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options

Good choice HFD
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    Van Halen I

I will check them out (and try not to let my dislike of the name get in the way!)

They considered changing their name I believe but decided against it. Band was before “the movement”
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    Van Halen I

They considered changing their name I believe but decided against it. Band was before “the movement”
    that I hadn't heard, but I do know they were offered a HUGE sum of money to sell their band's website url. They ultimately decided against it, and they actually used to sell a poster "no politics, just rock and roll". 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    According to Wikipedia, "The bandname is a portmanteau of deceased Rolling Stones founder Brian Jones and the 1978 Jonestown Massacre."  That's going to make a fair an objective review of their work difficult for me.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    According to Wikipedia, "The bandname is a portmanteau of deceased Rolling Stones founder Brian Jones and the 1978 Jonestown Massacre."  That's going to make a fair an objective review of their work difficult for me.
    we were talking about the Tea Party band name, Brian, unless you were just commenting independently of that. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    brianlux said:
    we were talking about the Tea Party band name, Brian, unless you were just commenting independently of that. 

Ah, I see.  Seeing as they are Canadian, what is the story with The Tea Party band name?

• Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Ah, I see.  Seeing as they are Canadian, what is the story with The Tea Party band name?
    They had decided to name their new group The Tea Party after the infamous hash sessions of famous Beat generation poets Allen Ginsberg, Jack Kerouac and William Burroughs.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    brianlux said:
    It's all about the music Brian!
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

They had decided to name their new group The Tea Party after the infamous hash sessions of famous Beat generation poets Allen Ginsberg, Jack Kerouac and William Burroughs.
    Ohhhh, that kind of tea! :smiley:
    brianlux said:
    I guess I'm being a bit like Joy Division's Peter "Hooky" Hook when he was asked if he liked the Buzzcocks, "Their OK, but who would use the word  "cock" in their name"?  LOL.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    I guess I'm being a bit like Joy Division's Peter "Hooky" Hook when he was asked if he liked the Buzzcocks, "Their OK, but who would use the word  "cock" in their name"?  LOL.

I was already so grown before it ever clicked for me that "buzzcock" was a name for a vibrator!! I was like "OMG!!! I've been singing along to their songs for decades!" :blush:
  • Options
    JH6056 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

I was already so grown before it ever clicked for me that "buzzcock" was a name for a vibrator!! I was like "OMG!!! I've been singing along to their songs for decades!" :blush:
    Ever rap along to an NWA song?
  • Options
    JH6056 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

LOL.  It's bad enough that there is a band called "Steely Dan". 

• Options
    JH6056 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Ever rap along to an NWA song?
    Well yeah, but there aren't too many words that I don't know what they mean with them.  Plenty I skip over when singing out loud, but no mystery words ;) 
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    JH6056 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Oh goodness grief, are you saying that's what a Steely Dan is too????  Seriously?

Next thing you know you're going to tell me that "Beatles", "Pink Floyd", & "Led Zeppelin" are all words for vibrator too!

Then after that that "Pearl Jam" is also somehow associated with... oh, wait...   :lol:
  • Options
    In all seriousness though, as great as that Joy Division album is, that is one band name that is not a light, fun concept. Bad stuff right there with the origins of that term...
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    Van Halen I

that I hadn't heard, but I do know they were offered a HUGE sum of money to sell their band's website url. They ultimately decided against it, and they actually used to sell a poster "no politics, just rock and roll". 
    That is probably correct. Memory isn’t what it used to be 
  • Options
    JH6056 said:
    brianlux said:
    JH6056 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Oh goodness grief, are you saying that's what a Steely Dan is too????  Seriously?

Next thing you know you're going to tell me that "Beatles", "Pink Floyd", & "Led Zeppelin" are all words for vibrator too!

Then after that that "Pearl Jam" is also somehow associated with... oh, wait...   :lol:

Well, um... yes on Steely Dan but, no, Beatles, Floyd, Zep, are all safe! 
    Well, but now that you mention it, I'm not sure what a "Pink Floyd" is.  Not sure I want to know!  :lol:

• Options
    JH6056 said:
    In all seriousness though, as great as that Joy Division album is, that is one band name that is not a light, fun concept. Bad stuff right there with the origins of that term...

So true.  As much as it has a nice ring to it, the source is nothing to take lightly.

• Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,301
    Bob Marley & The Wailers - Burnin' (1973) / In 2007 the album was added to the Library of CongressNational Recording Registry for its historical and cultural significance.

This is as perplexing as it is jubilant - sometimes gripping, sometimes slippery. It's reggae, obviously, but it's not mainstream reggae, certainly not rock or soul, maybe some kind of futuristic slow funk, 'War' without the pseudo-jazz. What's inescapable is Bob Marley's ferocious gift for melodic propaganda. It's one thing to come up with four consecutive title hooks, another to make the titles 'Get Up Stand Up,' 'Hallelujah Time,' 'I Shot the Sheriff,' 'Burnin' and Lootin'. ~ Robert Christgau (Christgau's Record Guide: Rock Albums of the Seventies)
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024