PJ USING BACKING TRACKS “LIVE”

Comments

• I am all for getting experimental with loops, and Arc-like vocal things and whatnot, 

But these kind pf posts scare me:

Who cares.  It’s not like he’s dancing on stage to a backing vocals track lip syncing

If some backing track here and there is going to help the live experience then so be it.  How else do you expect Eddie to be able to sing many difficult PJ songs for the next 20 years

We are moving the goalposts down a scary, scary road now Jamily.

It doesn't get Eddie Scarier than this. 
    a post on a message board scares you?
    The worry shouldn't be whether a post like that scares me. But rather - why it doesn't scare you.
    good lord.  

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • best thread of the pit 2021

can i get a co-sponsor
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    2008 Tampa - 2013 Buffalo - 2016 Tampa - 2016 Fenway II
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
  • tdawetdawe Posts: 2,089
    Man it’s so great to have shows back.
    Camden 2 2006, Newark 2010, Barclays 2 2013, Central Park 2015, MSG 2 2016, Wrigley 1 2016, Rome 2018, Prague 2018, Asbury Park 2021, EV & Earthlings NYC 1 2022, MSG 2022, Louisville 2022, Dublin 2024, MSG 1 2024, MSG 2 2024
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,394
    I m thinking of starting a go fund me page for the op in order to purchase him a looper
    pedal.  Maybe he could ask his original
    question and jam around it.  I m thinking amongst the jamily we need to raise around $75 usd to change a life.  I mean there were 35,000 people at last night s show so maybe if everyone contributed 0.43 cents we could change a life.   God bless.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • I left after DOTC.  Very disappointed in the pre-recorded vocals. A travesty of epic proportions or so I thought at the time.  If not for the fence I would have walked straight into the ocean.   Now I realize I was wrong.  Oops.  
    Jesus, you all take this so seriously and to heart, it's a God damn concert with a band you enjoy.  Some shows (particularly outside events) may require more producing.  You left after the first song, after all that money you paid?  I live in NJ and don't like festival shows, so I sat this one out.  Wow, just wow.  
    “Wow, just wow.”  Those are the exact words I said to the person next to me who was ignorantly enjoying those vocals coming from a machine.  I wondered to myself how much better life might be if I could just set aside such injustices.  I paid for a ticket after all.  

But turns out it was a looper.  You win some, you lose some.
    Sorry I missed your "sarcasim"  sometimes that can be misconstrued as angry.  Certainly comes across online as angry.  Never funny, just angry.  
  • We have nothing to fear but fear itself.
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2; 2024:  Vancouver 1-2, LV 1-2, LA 1-2, Napa, Barcelona 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,541
    I left after DOTC.  Very disappointed in the pre-recorded vocals. A travesty of epic proportions or so I thought at the time.  If not for the fence I would have walked straight into the ocean.   Now I realize I was wrong.  Oops.  
    Jesus, you all take this so seriously and to heart, it's a God damn concert with a band you enjoy.  Some shows (particularly outside events) may require more producing.  You left after the first song, after all that money you paid?  I live in NJ and don't like festival shows, so I sat this one out.  Wow, just wow.  
    “Wow, just wow.”  Those are the exact words I said to the person next to me who was ignorantly enjoying those vocals coming from a machine.  I wondered to myself how much better life might be if I could just set aside such injustices.  I paid for a ticket after all.  

But turns out it was a looper.  You win some, you lose some.
    Sorry I missed your "sarcasim"  sometimes that can be misconstrued as angry.  Certainly comes across online as angry.  Never funny, just angry.  
    a few of us thought it was pretty funny, actually. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,407
    igotid88 said:
    If you notice, they’re using backing tracks now. Not 100% live. Notice Ed’s vocals. At the end of DOTC... vocals coming out, Ed away from the microphone!... On Quick Escape, backing vocals, no one on the mic!! Disappointing, IMHO. 

He is singing. He's using a loop. Josh Klinghoffer is doing backup vocals during that as well. That would be hard to do live unless they had backup singers 
    Yup. Do your homework Beavis! Haha! 
    LOL. Coffee on the keyboard. Thanks, buddy.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,643
    It’s only natural that playing in isolation due to social distancing Eddie would incorporate a looper. He’s been probably using it a lot lately missing his band mates.
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    Um, he's used em' (and backing tracks) on solo tours. 'Hard Sun' or 'Arc' anyone? Also, anyone been to a U2 show lately? Was it awesome? 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,939
    Um, he's used em' (and backing tracks) on solo tours. 'Hard Sun' or 'Arc' anyone? Also, anyone been to a U2 show lately? Was it awesome? 
    Are you telling me Bono doesn’t play the glockenspiel in concert??!?
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    on2legs said:
    Hahaha!!! Uh....

will ferrell anchorman GIF
    www.cluthelee.com
    on2legs said:
    Hahaha!!! Uh....

will ferrell anchorman GIF
    Chaos Ensues!!! Looping like a madman!!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • mfc2006 said:
    igotid88 said:
    If you notice, they’re using backing tracks now. Not 100% live. Notice Ed’s vocals. At the end of DOTC... vocals coming out, Ed away from the microphone!... On Quick Escape, backing vocals, no one on the mic!! Disappointing, IMHO. 

He is singing. He's using a loop. Josh Klinghoffer is doing backup vocals during that as well. That would be hard to do live unless they had backup singers 
    Yup. Do your homework Beavis! Haha! 
    LOL. Coffee on the keyboard. Thanks, buddy.
    They’re adding a 2nd singer to now sing the “loops”. His name is Scott Stapp. 
  • stickmanstickman Posts: 1,008
    my buddy is a musician and he does this thing where he plays all the guitar parts and a drum part and 3 part harmonies, all in succession, until he gets them all in the loop to play the main song. it's pretty cool. it's not "using backing tracks", it's using your live tracks on a loop. 
    There are many street performers who post videos on YouTube who do something like your friend does, and it is quite entertaining.  Takes some talent too !  Not comparable to sing over prerecorded tracks at all.   
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,126
    edited September 2021
    I think all this sarcastic belittling of mcdevittpb from the Jamily, in reality puts the spotlight on one thing though --

-- which is, if Eddie theoretically started miming to backing tapes Paul Stanley-style 65-75% of you would also defend that, and belittle someone like 
    mcdevittpb all the same.

All he wants is some help finding his dad, being held captive by Professor Ratigan. But when it comes down to it, many of your wouldn't even take him to Baker Street. We need to start bringing each other to Baker Street.

Ye ol' Faithful.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • I think all this sarcastic belittling of mcdevittpb from the Jamily, in reality puts the spotlight on one thing though --

-- which is, if Eddie theoretically started miming to backing tapes Paul Stanley-style 65-75% of you would also defend that, and belittle someone like mcdevittpb all the same.

All he wants is some help finding his dad, being held capture by Professor Ratigan. But when it comes down to it, many of your wouldn't even take him to Baker Street. We need to start bringing each other to Baker Street.

Ye ol' Faithful.
    His post was not a bad one from some entitled fan.  All he said was it was disappointing in his opinion which is understandable and perfectly respectful.
  • I think all this sarcastic belittling of mcdevittpb from the Jamily, in reality puts the spotlight on one thing though --

-- which is, if Eddie theoretically started miming to backing tapes Paul Stanley-style 65-75% of you would also defend that, and belittle someone like 
    mcdevittpb all the same.

All he wants is some help finding his dad, being held capture by Professor Ratigan. But when it comes down to it, many of your wouldn't even take him to Baker Street. We need to start bringing each other to Baker Street.

Ye ol' Faithful.

Guessing this is a reference to an obscure child's film, comic book, video game, or slasher movie? 
    Bizarre. 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved

-- which is, if Eddie theoretically started miming to backing tapes Paul Stanley-style 65-75% of you would also defend that, and belittle someone like mcdevittpb all the same.

Ye ol' Faithful.

Guessing this is a reference to an obscure child's film, comic book, video game, or slasher movie? 
    Bizarre. 
    The Great Mouse Detective. 

Ye ol' Faithful.

Bizarre. 

Ahh, my kid hasn't watched that one yet...so I haven't either. 
    How 'bout those 49ers -- 2-0!  (And down to offering a trying to The Great Mouse Detective at RB)
  • reyrey Posts: 280
    stickman said:
    my buddy is a musician and he does this thing where he plays all the guitar parts and a drum part and 3 part harmonies, all in succession, until he gets them all in the loop to play the main song. it's pretty cool. it's not "using backing tracks", it's using your live tracks on a loop. 
    There are many street performers who post videos on YouTube who do something like your friend does, and it is quite entertaining.  Takes some talent too !  Not comparable to sing over prerecorded tracks at all.   

Sounds like what Ed Sheeran does.  At least he did when I saw him at the Global Citizen festival.

Ye ol' Faithful.

Bizarre. 

How 'bout those 49ers -- 2-0!  (And down to offering a trying to The Great Mouse Detective at RB)
    It is actually a pretty good movie, especially if you like Sherlock Holmes. Vincent Price voices the villain Professor Ratigan. If the Niners can avoid many more injuries, they are going to contend for the NFC West and probably make some noise in the playoffs too. That is a a big IF though based on the last couple of years. 3 running back injuries in the same game? Who exactly did Kyle tick off?  

Ye ol' Faithful.

Bizarre. 

It is actually a pretty good movie, especially if you like Sherlock Holmes. Vincent Price voices the villain Professor Ratigan. If the Niners can avoid many more injuries, they are going to contend for the NFC West and probably make some noise in the playoffs too. That is a a big IF though based on the last couple of years. 3 running back injuries in the same game? Who exactly did Kyle tick off?  
    Nice.  Will put it on the list to watch with the boy.

Yeah the RB thing is brutal.

I do the same thing quite a bit. It's a lot of fun.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    mfc2006 said:
    What looper do you use?  I m thinking this is my next pedal.  
    edited September 2021
    mcgruff10 said:
    mfc2006 said:
    TC Electronic Ditto X2
    Digitech DigiDelay (very short loops...4-5 seconds...but a ton of fun & what got me into building loops)
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    mfc2006 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mfc2006 said:
    TC Electronic Ditto X2
    Digitech DigiDelay (very short loops...4-5 seconds...but a ton of fun & what got me into building loops)
    That's cool.  So you can play multiple loops at the same time on it?
    mcgruff10 said:
    mfc2006 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mfc2006 said:
    TC Electronic Ditto X2
    That's cool.  So you can play multiple loops at the same time on it?
    Yup. The DigiDelay is very limited and you basically layer one short riff/progression on top of the other. I primarily use this pedal if its a one-off during a show or when recording. It's fun to loop vocals this way as well. I just love it because it's how I started experimenting with loops & effects, which has led to some interesting results.

The Ditto is much more of a loop builder and you can adjust it as you play with the foot switches. It's really easy to use and is a great looper for the $.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • mcgruff10 said:
    I m thinking of starting a go fund me page for the op in order to purchase him a looper
    question and jam around it.  I m thinking amongst the jamily we need to raise around $75 usd to change a life.  I mean there were 35,000 people at last night s show so maybe if everyone contributed 0.43 cents we could change a life.   God bless.  
    That would be awesome. Appreciate you man! 😎
    mcgruff10 said:
    That would be awesome. Appreciate you man! 😎
    Ha ha.  You da man.   I appreciate your humor throughout this thread.  ;)