PJ USING BACKING TRACKS “LIVE”

13»

Comments

• Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,816
    I’d be much more concerned about “Eddie Vedder and the Earthlings” than whether or not he’s using a backing vocal
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
    2024: Las Vegas I / Las Vegas II / New York City I / New York City II / Philly I / Philly II / Baltimore
  • After last night what do we know about The Earthlings?
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • RP112579RP112579 Posts: 3,380
    I’d be much more concerned about “Eddie Vedder and the Earthlings” than whether or not he’s using a backing vocal
    Why would this be concerning?
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
    8/29/23 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/31/23 Chicago-Wrigley Field
  • After last night what do we know about The Earthlings?
    To answer my own question:

“Eddie Vedder debuts new solo live band @theohanafest - Chad Smith on drums, Josh Klinghoffer+Andrew Watt on guitar, Pino Palladino on bass & Glen Hansard on guitar and vocals.”

Interesting they have it billed just as Eddie Vedder and not EV + Earthings or The Earthlings. Perhaps that is a marketing call.

My first impression is this is PJ but if Ed had full creative control. And then obviously minus the contributions of the other PJ members. So Ed solo but with hired hands. He can play fully fleshed out songs now.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
    edited September 2021
    Its not that its THAT concerning, but someone mentioned earlier in this thread that we were "pushing the goal posts too far"

I think Eddie playing Porch and Corduroy with an entirely new band called "The Earthlings" is pushing the goal posts way farther down the road than any backing vocal could
    Post edited by Weston1283 on
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2024: Las Vegas I / Las Vegas II / New York City I / New York City II / Philly I / Philly II / Baltimore
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,126
    I'm not concerned by the Earthlings but I am disinterested. Ed playing a few PJ songs solo on an acoustic guitar was a novelty and something different than we would normally get. That 2008 show I saw at the Opera House here in Boston was incredible. But Ed playing PJ songs with a different band, one that will always be lesser IMO if for no other reason than it lacks Mike McCready, that isn't very interesting to me. 

We'll see what these Earthling sets become as time goes on. Last night's was thrown together in a pinch because of the KOL cancellation. Might not be the best example to judge by. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
    JimmyV said:
    I'm not concerned by the Earthlings but I am disinterested. Ed playing a few PJ songs solo on an acoustic guitar was a novelty and something different than we would normally get. That 2008 show I saw at the Opera House here in Boston was incredible. But Ed playing PJ songs with a different band, one that will always be lesser IMO if for no other reason than it lacks Mike McCready, that isn't very interesting to me. 

We'll see what these Earthling sets become as time goes on. Last night's was thrown together in a pinch because of the KOL cancellation. Might not be the best example to judge by. 
    Will definitely be interesting to see how the setlists evolve,  but I mean there was even merchandise for "Eddie Vedder and the Earthlings" and I think its going to be more than a one Time thing to say the least
    Into The Wild, Flag Day, Ukulele Songs, all the covers and this new Earthlings album. They shouldn't need PJ songs to fill out a setlist. 

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,126
    edited September 2021
    HE WHO CONTROLS THE LEAD SINGING

CONTROLS THE UNIVERSE

- Baron Vladimir Harkonen
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    edited September 2021

Post edited by JimmyV on

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,541
    JimmyV said:
    Into The Wild, Flag Day, Ukulele Songs, all the covers and this new Earthlings album. They shouldn't need PJ songs to fill out a setlist. 
    agreed. if you're going to do PJ songs where most people there are seeing PJ in two days, at least change up the arrangements or tempos or something. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,429
    JimmyV said:
    agreed. if you're going to do PJ songs where most people there are seeing PJ in two days, at least change up the arrangements or tempos or something. 
    Just cant get into the sped up Corduroy. I am all for experimenting but that one just is not doing it for me. 
  • Fake news nothing to see here
  • this pandemic brought  more bat crazy shit than i can handle 
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    edited September 2021
    this pandemic brought  more bat crazy shit than i can handle 
    Maybe you’re right, but there’s also been the same number of PJ shows as there’s been EV and the earthlings shows since 2018 while fans continue to hold tickets for probably the only shows out there that haven’t been rescheduled yet…. That’s also bat shit crazy
    Post edited by Weston1283 on
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,240
    this pandemic brought  more bat crazy shit than i can handle 
    Maybe you’re right, but there’s also been the same number of PJ shows as there’s been EV and the earthlings shows since 2018 while fans continue to hold tickets for probably the only shows out there that haven’t been rescheduled yet…. That’s also bat shit crazy
    And by Monday of next week there will have been more than twice as many Pearl Jam shows as EV and the Earthlings shows since 2018. 

It’s almost as if we’ve been living in some sort of exceptional times for the last 2 years or something 🤔.
  • ForceofNature101ForceofNature101 Posts: 1,282
    edited September 2021
    Even Rush and Van Halen when I saw them flew in some backing vocals.  Pearl Jam hasn't yet though, just the loops
    Post edited by ForceofNature101 on
  • JimmyV said:
    Chad Smith plays Porch like someone who would throw a drumstick at Eddie if he starts swinging on a lamp. Almost getting scared watching him:
    https://youtu.be/TxLovuu0jao
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,394
    edited September 2021
    Is Ed even playing during the beginning of the jam?!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    JimmyV said:
    Chad Smith plays Porch like someone who would throw a drumstick at Eddie if he starts swinging on a lamp. Almost getting scared watching him:
    Oh please. You mean the same Chad Smith that agreed to play the super bowl with pre recorded instrumentals?
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,394
    My looper is being delivered tomorrow.   So pumped.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • ForceofNature101ForceofNature101 Posts: 1,282
    edited September 2021
    RiotZact said:
    JimmyV said:
    Oh please. You mean the same Chad Smith that agreed to play the super bowl with pre recorded instrumentals?

I mean, he sounds pretty good in that video. 
    RiotZact said:
    JimmyV said:

Sure he does! I’m not criticizing him at all. I’m just rolling my eyes at the comment that he would throw a drumstick at Eddie for swinging on globes.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,126
    edited September 2021
    RiotZact said:
    RiotZact said:
    JimmyV said:

Sure he does! I’m not criticizing him at all. I’m just rolling my eyes at the comment that he would throw a drumstick at Eddie for swinging on globes.
    Do not deny the Earthamily. The Earthful.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • I’d be much more concerned about “Eddie Vedder and the Earthlings” than whether or not he’s using a backing vocal