Options

Pearl Jam albums in Dolby Atmos surround

Comments

• Options
    strilostrilo Portland OR Posts: 483
    edited September 2021
    I've just always heard incremental improvements when listening in headphones. Whereas listening on my Atmos system, it's a mind blowing and amazing experience.
    PORTLAND - 18 JUL 98 // TAMPA - 12 AUG 00 // PORTLAND - 02 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 05 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 09 DEC 02
    BERN, SWITZERLAND - 13 SEP 06 // PORTLAND - 26 SEP 09 // CHICAGO - 19 JUL 13 // PORTLAND - 29 NOV 13
    CHICAGO - 20 AUG 16 // CHICAGO - 22 AUG 16 // PHOENIX - 09 MAY 22 // CHICAGO - 05 SEP 23 // CHICAGO - 07 SEP 23
  • Options
    bjmjplbjmjpl Posts: 134
    Anyone find Tidal Atmos?

I'm a home theater engineer.

Www.smartintegrators.com

Make sure you have the speakers calibrated and discreetly wired properly.

Bass on the Gigaton is gigantic.

If you have an Xbox, make sure you install the Atmos app, it's free, but necessary and that can trip up the best of its lol.

Sit in the middle of the room, Gigaton isn't the best Atmos presentation, but it's actually tracked well with the movie and you will start to notice the different sounds layered in there. A lot of it is front focused so make sure you position yourself towards the back so you arent drowning out the discreet nuances and can hear the ceilings and backs 
  • Options
    ParksyParksy Posts: 1,678
    edited September 2021
    bjmjpl said:
    Anyone find Tidal Atmos?

Www.smartintegrators.com

If you have an Xbox, make sure you install the Atmos app, it's free, but necessary and that can trip up the best of its lol.

Sit in the middle of the room, Gigaton isn't the best Atmos presentation, but it's actually tracked well with the movie and you will start to notice the different sounds layered in there. A lot of it is front focused so make sure you position yourself towards the back so you arent drowning out the discreet nuances and can hear the ceilings and backs 
    Can we video conference for a couple hours?  lol 

Coming into this thread saying you're a home theatre engineer is like walking into the school dance as the most hottest guy/girl in school. 
    Post edited by Parksy on
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
  • Options
    bjmjpl said:
    Anyone find Tidal Atmos?

Www.smartintegrators.com

What advice would you give to a fellow who got a nice receiver second hand at a great price :) but it did not come with the calibration mic? 
    What do you mean by discreetly wired properly? 

:)

(i may have many questions... i will provide positive vibes to you and good reviews wherever you want me to do that)  
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
  • Options
    Personally, I've had really good experiences with the calibration mic. I've had three Yamaha receivers with them and I've been happy with the results. I would try and find one second hand or see if you can buy one from the manufacturer. In my experience, they're worth it. If I'm not mistaken, the whole testing process can also find if you've wired anything wrong, out of phase, etc.
    PORTLAND - 18 JUL 98 // TAMPA - 12 AUG 00 // PORTLAND - 02 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 05 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 09 DEC 02
    BERN, SWITZERLAND - 13 SEP 06 // PORTLAND - 26 SEP 09 // CHICAGO - 19 JUL 13 // PORTLAND - 29 NOV 13
    CHICAGO - 20 AUG 16 // CHICAGO - 22 AUG 16 // PHOENIX - 09 MAY 22 // CHICAGO - 05 SEP 23 // CHICAGO - 07 SEP 23
  • Options
    Alright folks. .. huge thank you to everyone! 

I’m the kinda fella who keeps a box of what my wife calls “useless cables.”  

I looked up this stuff on the net and noticed that I actually already had a calibration mic … and have for many years. (NEVER actually knew what it was).  

Got the system calibrated and set up nice and proper and can now say I have no issues … Gigaton has bass now and sounds good. I played In My Tree and was pleasantly surprised (although the beginning of the song is cut off) 

and Bohemian Rhapsody blew my mind!  

Thanks again! 

(I plan on listening to No Code via Vinyl, CD, Digital, and Atmos just for the fuck of it to see the differences.)
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
  • Options
    bazzerbazzer Posts: 3,090
    strilo said:
    I find Atmos in headphones to be largely pointless and silly. The only real benefit to me is if the Atmos mix itself has benefited from some overall improvement in fidelity. Many times when doing these mixes, they go back to the original source multitracks and do new high resolution transfers which can make things sound better, cleaner, less hiss, etc. Other than that sort of general sound quality improvement, I find Atmos in headphones do not really accomplish any sort of significant "3D" sound. I just think you need a surround sound system in order to do that. And No Code or Ten in Atmos on a 5.1 system (and more) IS a game changing experience for both albums. 
    But, you do only have two ears?
  • Options
    And those two ears hear sound from all directions.
  • Options
    bazzerbazzer Posts: 3,090
    strilo said:
    And those two ears hear sound from all directions.
    I know, but what is it about the directionality of sound that can't be captured and fed straight into your two ear holes? I'm thinking along the lines of HRTF etc. I think it's at least possible that one day we can process audio for headphones to flawlessly reproduce for the individual the same localisation that we experience in real life. Look how differently the binaurally recorded tracks sound.

But, it's a bit of a moot point because this isn't it but it could still be cool (I haven't listened to any Atmos). I would assume they are using a generic HRTF which could produce decent results for "most" but I don't really know why you'd need special equipment and couldn't the same mix be on the CD since it's only feeding to two channels?
  • Options
    I mean I think they are working towards being able to produce a lot more "3D" sound from headphones... and Atmos is an interesting step forward. But to me it's still nowhere near the game changing experience that surround music (5.1 or Atmos) is on a home theater multi speaker setup.
  • Options
    So - interesting observation…(at least to me). 

And Mea Culpa if someone already called this out (haven’t read through the last few pages).

Been listening to No Code on Atmos (via Apple Music) a decent amount lately…

I noticed a right off (mentioned a few pages back) that the Atmos version of Who You Are has the original “Circumstance” at the start of the second verse (as opposed to the “Avalanche” reworked for RVM). 

But when I turned off the “Spatial” aspect (on headphones), the “Avalanche” was back. 🤯
    (This might explain why “Avalanche” is still being used in the lyrics on Apple).

Pretty sweet to have both versions 🤘

I have to say…No Code in Atmos is just so sweet.  And I love being able to hit a button and go back to the (mostly) original version (looking at you “Avalanche”) 😉 

✌️
  • Options
    Assuming that Josh Evans is going to keep remixing in Atmos, what album do we want to see next?
  • Options
    strilo said:
    Assuming that Josh Evans is going to keep remixing in Atmos, what album do we want to see next?
    Has to be Binaural, right?
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,144
    20th anniversary of Riot Act next year. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    I've always thought Binaural was the album most suited for a surround mix. I would love it if they did Binaural next. I also agree that a 20th anniversary release of Riot Act makes sense. 
  • Options

Choose how to listen to Dolby Atmos on your iPhone or iPad

1. Update your iPhone or iPad to iOS or iPadOS 14.6 or later
    2. Go to Settings.
    3. Tap Music.
    4. Under Audio, tap Dolby Atmos. 
    5. Choose Automatic, Always On, or turn Dolby Atmos off.

If you choose Automatic, here’s what you need

Supported songs automatically play in Dolby Atmos when you're listening with:

• AirPods Pro or AirPods Max with spatial audio turned on. Go to Control Center, touch and hold the volume button, then tap Spatial Audio.
    • AirPods
    • BeatsX, Beats Solo3 Wireless, Beats Studio3, Powerbeats3 Wireless, Beats Flex, Powerbeats Pro, Beats Solo Pro, or Beats Studio Buds
    • The built-in speakers on an iPhone XS or later (except iPhone SE), iPad Pro 12.9-inch (3rd generation or later), iPad Pro 11-inch, or iPad Air (4th generation)

If you choose Always On, here’s what you need

If you want to use other headphones that don’t support automatic playback, choose Always On.

I don't want to turn this into a tech support thread, but does anyone know if it's possible to listen to Ten and No Code in Atmos without subscribing to Apple Music?

I have an iPhone XS and AirPods Pro. I've upgraded to iOS 14.8, but under Settings > Music > Audio, I don't have an option for Dolby Atmos. I only see Cellular Streaming, EQ and Sound Check.

Also, I purchased Ten from the iTunes store. When I open it up in the Music on my iPhone though, it does not show up as "Atmos", only as "Apple Digital Master".

I hope my only recourse is not to subscribe to Apple Music. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • Options
    There were two other streaming services listed in the OG announcement. Tidal was one of them. Can't remember the other. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    You cannot stream or download the Atmos content from Apple without subscribing to Apple Music. 
  • Options
    KISS Destroyer is coming out in Atmos on a bluray disc:

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Parksy said:
    bjmjpl said:
    Anyone find Tidal Atmos?

Www.smartintegrators.com

What advice would you give to a fellow who got a nice receiver second hand at a great price :) but it did not come with the calibration mic? 
    What do you mean by discreetly wired properly? 

:)

(i may have many questions... i will provide positive vibes to you and good reviews wherever you want me to do that)  
    Lol, hysterical, happy to help... Pm me but looks like you may have figured it out! 

Just back from SHN. 6 Gigaton songs and the sound was excellent, could clearly hear Jeff, maybe Josh was there and it was in Atmos, lol jk, I checked, there were no speakers in the sky... 

I'm taking it no one found Atmos on tidal and I'm going to have pony for some music now too.... 

Tidal is going to lose me..... 

• Options
    KISS Destroyer is coming out in Atmos on a bluray disc:

This is awesome, the more the better, this is really picking up some steam... 

Total game changer 
  • Options
    Never got into KISS.
  • Options
    strilo said:
    Never got into KISS.
    Who ever could.

But you should try their "Unmasked" album from 1980. Thank me later.

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    strilo said:
    You cannot stream or download the Atmos content from Apple without subscribing to Apple Music. 
    Thank you.
  • Options
    Does anyone have Tidal to say for sure if the Atmos or 360 mixes are available there?
  • Options
    strilo said:
    Does anyone have Tidal to say for sure if the Atmos or 360 mixes are available there?
    The last comment I read weeks back was the PJ stuff wasn't up there yet. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Wait, so there is a different vocal track on Release?!
  • Options
    foriginalsinforiginalsin Posts: 699
    edited September 2021
    strilo said:
    I have tidal, and the only available versions for No Code and Ten are the Sony Reality 360 versions on my iphone. They still do not have the Atmos mixes on there. On the TV app which supports Dolby Atmos, (and I have listened to several other albums of different artists in Atmos, Automatic for the people etc), I still cannot find the atmos mixes.
  • Options
    Yes. They appear to have used a vocal recording from 2013 instead of the 1991 original. It's an odd choice, IMHO, but I don't mind it. I only listen to the Atmos mix when I am sitting at my home theater system. In headphones, I still prefer Redux, which has the original vocal performance from Ed.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,063
    edited September 2021
    strilo said:
    Yes. They appear to have used a vocal recording from 2013 instead of the 1991 original. It's an odd choice, IMHO, but I don't mind it. I only listen to the Atmos mix when I am sitting at my home theater system. In headphones, I still prefer Redux, which has the original vocal performance from Ed.
    Is it really the audio from the Out of the Furnace-soundtrack version? So he sings "Oh dear Rod" instead of "Oh dear Dad" at like 3 minutes into the song? 

Bizarre if they changed the vocals. Whether it's on purpose or a fuck up. This is like the Who you are-situation. I have a feeling Pearl Jam doesn't keep that good track of their stuff....

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on