Options

Pearl Jam albums in Dolby Atmos surround

Comments

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,144
    Man, Off He Goes is SO fucking good! Those piano notes/chords at the end. I’ll say it again, this sounds like you are inside the music. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    New found appreciation for I’m Open. Damn. So much going on here. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    strilostrilo Portland OR Posts: 483
    I've been a huge fan of music in surround for like 15 years. I've experienced these types of "holy shit" or inside the music moments on many other albums and artists. I never thought it would be something that Pearl Jam would do. Now that they have, I am beside myself with how amazing it is. And I've only listened to Ten and No Code in surround like twice through each! I feel like there's so much there to unpack...
    PORTLAND - 18 JUL 98 // TAMPA - 12 AUG 00 // PORTLAND - 02 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 05 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 09 DEC 02
    BERN, SWITZERLAND - 13 SEP 06 // PORTLAND - 26 SEP 09 // CHICAGO - 19 JUL 13 // PORTLAND - 29 NOV 13
    CHICAGO - 20 AUG 16 // CHICAGO - 22 AUG 16 // PHOENIX - 09 MAY 22 // CHICAGO - 05 SEP 23 // CHICAGO - 07 SEP 23
  • Options
    bjmjplbjmjpl Posts: 134
    This is truly amazing and I have been loving gigaton atmos and the fact that they are trailblazing and on The Cutting Edge with this is totally amazing go Josh and Pearl Jam!
  • Options
    chalonchalon Posts: 106
    edited September 2021
    So this is some experience. So what I have gathered is that there are 2 versions of this new release. One in dolby atmos and one in sony reality 360.  I somehow figured out a way to listen to the 360 version without listening through my phone. I ended up airplaying from tidal the 360 version. The 360 logo in the app remained lit up. When I would cast the 360 version, the app would change to the HIFI version. The 360 version in surround, sounded really off.  I then listened through headphones and it sounded way better. 

However, I do not like these new mixes. It sounds like the band is playing in a garage or smaller. I really miss the hugeness of the Rick P. mix. I guess I like all the stuff he added to the mix. Also Jeffs bass is sorely buried in the mix. I switched back and forth with the 360 mix and the original. Whats funny is that the 360 technology is suppose to sound huge and open and with stuff coming at you from all angles. In fact, the opposite is true. The original mix sounds way more open with way more going on. To me most songs sound worse. Even Flow sounded good in the new mix.  The intro to Black in the 360 mix where its stone playing over eddie before the band kicks in sounds PHENOMENAL. It literally sounds like stones guitar is 5 feet to the left in front of me. So the first 30 sec of Black almost sounds like im listening to my speaker and then when the band kicks in, it goes back to being closed in my head. This application of 360 audio is amazing, yet I feel like this wasnt done enough. 

So far in preliminary testing, overall, cool tech, but I MUCH prefer the original mix. 
    I'm not surprised the Sony 360 doesn't sound great. Sony 360 has the same problem as they have with the object audio they're trying to push on PlayStation. It's not designed for true surround setups, and in fact no receiver actually even supports it (which is probably why it sounded terrible when you tried). Instead, they're focusing on making "fake surround" for people using a single Alexa speaker or whatever, I guess the goal is to try to make a crap speaker not sound as crap but I guess we aren't the target audience for that.

I'm pretty sure Sony just doesn't want to pay licensing fees to Dolby, so that's why they want to launch their own 3D audio formats. Hopefully it won't have any staying power if it's as bad as you made it seem!
  • Options
    KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,470
    Josh Evans has reinvigorated this band.  You can hear it in the remixes as well as the live mixes.  I have never been more struck by what a producer can do.
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    Can't wait to dive into these this weekend.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    I need to give No Code another serious listen in Atmos on my surround system. I've only heard it twice that way.
    PORTLAND - 18 JUL 98 // TAMPA - 12 AUG 00 // PORTLAND - 02 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 05 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 09 DEC 02
    BERN, SWITZERLAND - 13 SEP 06 // PORTLAND - 26 SEP 09 // CHICAGO - 19 JUL 13 // PORTLAND - 29 NOV 13
    CHICAGO - 20 AUG 16 // CHICAGO - 22 AUG 16 // PHOENIX - 09 MAY 22 // CHICAGO - 05 SEP 23 // CHICAGO - 07 SEP 23
  • Options
    KV4053 said:
    Josh Evans has reinvigorated this band.  You can hear it in the remixes as well as the live mixes.  I have never been more struck by what a producer can do.
    Agreed. The album mixes, the new mixes on the live shows, they're all great. Great addition to the band inner circle. 

• Options
    Is it me or are the drums a lot more present in the Atmos mix of Off He Goes?
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,248
    strilo said:
    After the 2008 Brendan O'Brien remix, I've found the original mix to be unlistenable. I actually gave it a listen for the first time in years the other day, and I think it's terrible.  Now, are you saying you prefer the Rick P. mix to this new Dolby Atmos mix? Or do you prefer the Rick P. mix to both the Dolby AND the O'Brien remix?
    I cannot help but agree. I've barely listened to the original mix of Ten since the Redux came out. I forgot how much insane reverb and douchey vocal effects with Ed's voice pushed all over the world. So much echo and reverb that it's actually harder to hear the amazing guitar work. And that horrible filter on his vocal for the second verse of "Oceans." God I forgot all about that. And to me, the Redux version of "Porch" actually SOUNDS like it ties directly to Vs.much prefer the Redux mix. It sounds like the band that became the band who made Vs., instead of some weird still-stuck-in-the-80s arena rock band with tons of reverb. 
    Completely agree with both these posts. Even Flow and Porch sound so much better. Until Redux came out I really only liked to hear most of those songs on bootlegs.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    I will say for Even Flow I’ve long preferred the re-recording with Dave A on drums. Just better in every way. 
  • Options
    bjmjplbjmjpl Posts: 134
    Can anyone find this on Tidal? I also have true Dolby Atmos, can listen to others songs in Atmos, can't find ten or no code anywhere in Atmos, though I see 360,but don't have that so it reverts back to master

Has anyone found this in Tidal?

Still shocked how bad the ui of Tidal consistently is... 
  • Options
    ParksyParksy Posts: 1,678
    I have another newbie question… 

I really want to try these out I just need to know which makes the most sense because either way I am spending hundreds. 

I have an iPhone 12, but I don’t have decent wireless headphones. For $250 I could grab some of those Air Pod Pros. 

I would prefer the speaker choice which means I would need an Atmos receiver. If I went the way of the receiver…. What else would I need to listen to the atmos albums?  Are they proprietary through Apple? Would I need a device that streams Apple Music?  Could I connect my iPhone through Bluetooth to the receiver? 

Any suggestions would help! 
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,434
    Are these good?
    http://amzn.to/3yNm7ya
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    bjmjpl said:
    Can anyone find this on Tidal? I also have true Dolby Atmos, can listen to others songs in Atmos, can't find ten or no code anywhere in Atmos, though I see 360,but don't have that so it reverts back to master

Has anyone found this in Tidal?

Still shocked how bad the ui of Tidal consistently is... 
    I came here to post the same thing. I just signed up for Tidal to hear these two albums and so far the experience has been extremely frustrating. First I found out the hard way that my Onkyo TX-RZ830 doesn't support Tidal HiFi natively despite supporting Tidal. I then try Tidal on my 2019 Shield only to find the just the 360 tracks of Ten & No Code. Digging through the Android app on my phone, I have yet to find the Atmos PJ content (and even if I do find it, I am not sure how to play it on my receiver). I have a few more devices to try, but this is infuriating. 
  • Options
    Sooooo. I went ahead and did everything I need to do to listen to atmos.   

….   The bass went away lol. 

Right off the hop on the Gigaton album… full Atmos, lossless.. the whole shebang…. Ed’s vocals were very very prevalent and there were some some neat spatial things going on, but my sub doesn’t kick on and there is little to no bass. 
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    Are these good?
    http://amzn.to/3yNm7ya
    Personally, I don't think good sounding speakers are made by any companies that make other electronics. Get speakers made by speaker companies.
  • Options
    Parksy said:
    I would prefer the speaker choice which means I would need an Atmos receiver. If I went the way of the receiver…. What else would I need to listen to the atmos albums?  Are they proprietary through Apple? Would I need a device that streams Apple Music?  Could I connect my iPhone through Bluetooth to the receiver? 

To listen to Atmos on a home theater system you would need a 5 speaker (minimum) setup, an Atmos capable AV receiver, A TV and an Apple TV 4K streaming box. 
  • Options
    strilo said:
    Parksy said:

To listen to Atmos on a home theater system you would need a 5 speaker (minimum) setup, an Atmos capable AV receiver, A TV and an Apple TV 4K streaming box. 
    I went and bought all those things lol.  I use a 7 speaker system now with 2 subs.  2 front 1 centre 2 back 2 ceiling. 

David Attenborough's nature shows are fucking wicked now.  But Gigaton sounds far better in stereo so far.  Unless I'm doing something wrong.  

I mean, it DID feel like Eddie was in my house singing...  but it also felt like he was a giant and the rest of the band were ants. 
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
  • Options
    Parksy said:

Right off the hop on the Gigaton album… full Atmos, lossless.. the whole shebang…. Ed’s vocals were very very prevalent and there were some some neat spatial things going on, but my sub doesn’t kick on and there is little to no bass. 
    Parksy said:
    strilo said:
    Parksy said:

I went and bought all those things lol.  I use a 7 speaker system now with 2 subs.  2 front 1 centre 2 back 2 ceiling. 

David Attenborough's nature shows are fucking wicked now.  But Gigaton sounds far better in stereo so far.  Unless I'm doing something wrong.  

I mean, it DID feel like Eddie was in my house singing...  but it also felt like he was a giant and the rest of the band were ants. 
    This is the same reaction I had. Jeffs bass has completely been ignored. The, “eddie in my house” feeling is the same for me as well. The band is recessed in the mix.  
  • Options
    Parksy said:

Parksy said:
    strilo said:
    Parksy said:

This is the same reaction I had. Jeffs bass has completely been ignored. The, “eddie in my house” feeling is the same for me as well. The band is recessed in the mix.  
    Are we both doing something wrong, or is this how it was mixed/engineered? 
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
  • Options
    I don't know. When I listen to Gigaton in Atmos on my system, I get PLENTY of bass. And I don't even have subs.
  • Options
    Jeff’s bass is in there, it’s just spread out across the channels. Spatial audio. Try doing some EQ adjustment and see if that helps. I have my iPhone EQ set to ‘rock’ for reference. Can’t help with any Atmos stereo equipment set up. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Gigaton vs No Code isn’t a fair comparison. Different producers. Different records. Plus, Jeff wrote a lot of music for Gigaton and didn’t for No Code. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    I think they meant just the low end, primarily occupied by Jeff's bass playing, is muted significantly. Personally, for the Atmos mix of Gigaton, this is not the case for me. For Ten and No Code in Atmos, the low end is much quieter than it should be. I click the "Add Bass" option on my receiver.

Honestly, I think Atmos is much more sensitive to differences in how each person is listening. How all the individual elements are combined in whatever ways are necessary to play on the setup they have. HUGE difference between headphones and a nine speaker Atmos system with 2 subs.
  • Options
    strilo said:
    I think they meant just the low end, primarily occupied by Jeff's bass playing, is muted significantly. Personally, for the Atmos mix of Gigaton, this is not the case for me. For Ten and No Code in Atmos, the low end is much quieter than it should be. I click the "Add Bass" option on my receiver.

Honestly, I think Atmos is much more sensitive to differences in how each person is listening. How all the individual elements are combined in whatever ways are necessary to play on the setup they have. HUGE difference between headphones and a nine speaker Atmos system with 2 subs.

Do you find headphones are better? 

Also.. it turns out i did have my speakers incorrectly setup.  (gone are the days of just plugging shit in and turning on)  lol
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
  • Options
    I find Atmos in headphones to be largely pointless and silly. The only real benefit to me is if the Atmos mix itself has benefited from some overall improvement in fidelity. Many times when doing these mixes, they go back to the original source multitracks and do new high resolution transfers which can make things sound better, cleaner, less hiss, etc. Other than that sort of general sound quality improvement, I find Atmos in headphones do not really accomplish any sort of significant "3D" sound. I just think you need a surround sound system in order to do that. And No Code or Ten in Atmos on a 5.1 system (and more) IS a game changing experience for both albums. 
  • Options
    strilo said:

Absolutely, yes. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    strilo said:
    I find Atmos in headphones to be largely pointless and silly. The only real benefit to me is if the Atmos mix itself has benefited from some overall improvement in fidelity. Many times when doing these mixes, they go back to the original source multitracks and do new high resolution transfers which can make things sound better, cleaner, less hiss, etc. Other than that sort of general sound quality improvement, I find Atmos in headphones do not really accomplish any sort of significant "3D" sound. I just think you need a surround sound system in order to do that. And No Code or Ten in Atmos on a 5.1 system (and more) IS a game changing experience for both albums. 
    Not necessarily. On 'Jeremy' for example. Atmos mixing exposed a guitar riff with chorus effect that wasn't as apparent in two channel stereo. On my headphones I can hear things left/right, bottom left/right, and top left/right. Not sure how Atmos compares to the DTS X 7.1 format from years back, but when I listened to Soundgarden's 'Superunknown' on headphones, you were prompted to say which kind you had (i.e. on ear, over ear) and man oh man were there things swirling in all corners of my left and right phones. 
    www.cluthelee.com