Options

Pearl Jam albums in Dolby Atmos surround

Comments

• Options
    We All BelieveWe All Believe Scarsdale, NY Posts: 487
    edited August 2021
    Listening to No Code now. I'm definitely hearing things I've never heard before, which is amazing after 25 years. Some things (notes, vocal accents) are left out and/or different too.

Hail Hail sounded awful. Guitars sit WAY too high. There's almost no Jeff. And Jack is ticked down too.

Who You Are was changed to "Just a little time..." instead of "Take me for a ride..." right before the second verses.

First pass, I'm not a fan of the Atmos mix for No Code, tbh. Jeff has all but disappeared.

Unless I'm doing something wrong lol, but I don't think I am. I logged into my brother's Apple Music account. Atmos is enabled on my phone. My regular music files sound fine.

Post edited by We All Believe on
    May your days be long, til kingdom come.

Join the fight to prevent suicide at www.afsp.org
  • Options
    bonebone Posts: 498
    strilo said:
    Did anyone else notice that the vocal track on Release is a totally different performance? it sounds newer to me, like Ed came back and recorded it later. He even uses some of the different lyrics like he does in concert...
    Definitely a different vocal performance.  Not sure why they mess with what I thought was perfect vocal on the original.  
    1993-08-12 - Edmonton, AB, Convention Centre
    2003-05-30 - Vancouver, BC, General Motors Place
    2005-09-04 - Calgary, AB, Pengrowth Saddledome
    2005-09-05 - Edmonton, AB, Rexall Place
    2009-08-08 - Calgary, AB, Canada Olympic Park
    2009-09-21 - Seattle, WA, Key Arena
    2009-09-22 - Seattle, WA, Key Arena
    2011-09-23 - Edmonton, AB, Rexall Place
    2013-11-30 - Spokane, WA, Spokane Arena
  • Options
    DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,754
    I noticed the beginning of Who You Are's second verse was changed from "Circumstance, clapping hands" to "Avalanche, falling fast" (not sure if that's new to this release but definitely different than the original).
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • Options
    DeLukin said:
    I noticed the beginning of Who You Are's second verse was changed from "Circumstance, clapping hands" to "Avalanche, falling fast" (not sure if that's new to this release but definitely different than the original).
    That change was also on the WYA version that was on "Rearviewmirror", I think.

• Options
    DeLukin said:
    Wait that change wasn't on the version I listened to lol. I went back and listened to it again. It was the original version. Maybe I'm doing something wrong after all lol.

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,203

Choose how to listen to Dolby Atmos on your iPhone or iPad

1. Update your iPhone or iPad to iOS or iPadOS 14.6 or later
    2. Go to Settings.
    3. Tap Music.
    4. Under Audio, tap Dolby Atmos. 
    5. Choose Automatic, Always On, or turn Dolby Atmos off.

If you choose Automatic, here’s what you need

Supported songs automatically play in Dolby Atmos when you're listening with:

• AirPods Pro or AirPods Max with spatial audio turned on. Go to Control Center, touch and hold the volume button, then tap Spatial Audio.
    • AirPods
    • BeatsX, Beats Solo3 Wireless, Beats Studio3, Powerbeats3 Wireless, Beats Flex, Powerbeats Pro, Beats Solo Pro, or Beats Studio Buds
    • The built-in speakers on an iPhone XS or later (except iPhone SE), iPad Pro 12.9-inch (3rd generation or later), iPad Pro 11-inch, or iPad Air (4th generation)

If you choose Always On, here’s what you need

If you want to use other headphones that don’t support automatic playback, choose Always On.

Choose how to listen to Dolby Atmos on your Mac

1. Update your Mac to macOS 11.4 or later.
    2. Open the Apple Music app.
    3. In the menu bar, choose Music > Preferences.
    4. Click the Playback tab. 
    5. Choose Automatic, Always On, or turn Dolby Atmos off.

If you choose Automatic, here’s what you need

Supported songs automatically play in Dolby Atmos when you're listening with:

• AirPods, AirPods Pro, or AirPods Max
    • BeatsX, Beats Solo3 Wireless, Beats Studio3, Powerbeats3 Wireless, Beats Flex, Powerbeats Pro, Beats Solo Pro, or Beats Studio Buds
    • The built-in speakers on a MacBook Pro (2018 model or later), MacBook Air (2018 model or later), or iMac (2021 model)

If you choose Always On, here’s what you need

If you want to use other headphones that don’t support automatic playback, choose Always On.

How to listen to Dolby Atmos on your Apple TV 4K

Update your Apple TV 4K to tvOS 14.6 or later. Then make sure that you have one of the following connections:

Turn Dolby Atmos on or off

1. On your Apple TV, go to Settings > Apps.
    2. Select Music.
    3. Select Dolby Atmos to change it to Automatic or Off.

How to listen to Dolby Atmos on your Android device

• You need an Android device that supports Dolby Atmos. To see if your Android device is supported, check with your device's manufacturer.
    • Update the Apple Music app to the latest version.

Turn Dolby Atmos on or off

1. Open the Apple Music app.
    2. Tap the More button the More button.
    3. Tap Settings.
    4. Tap Dolby Atmos to turn it on or off.

www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    DeLukin said:
    That change was also on the WYA version that was on "Rearviewmirror", I think.
    Yep, and on the 2016 and 2021 No Code reissues. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    DeLukin said:
    Wait that change wasn't on the version I listened to lol. I went back and listened to it again. It was the original version. Maybe I'm doing something wrong after all lol.
    It's not on mine either and it's still "just a little time before we leave" on mine (Apple Music).  Apple Music can be weird sometimes for playing a different version of a song when it's on a playlist.  I got the proper Atmos version by playing it directly from the Apple Music library instead of my own library.

The beginning of In My Tree is cut off too.  

And the begining of Smile as well.  This is butchered, or maybe it's time to reboot the phone.  
    Post edited by bone on
  • Options
    strilostrilo Portland OR Posts: 483
    I noticed a few cut off beginnings. I think those are just file issues Apple needs to correct. Also there are a few bugs with the whole Apple Spatial Audio thing that will supposedly be improved with the next major round of operating systems that come out probably in September. I am sure these glitches will get fixed. 
    PORTLAND - 18 JUL 98 // TAMPA - 12 AUG 00 // PORTLAND - 02 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 05 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 09 DEC 02
    BERN, SWITZERLAND - 13 SEP 06 // PORTLAND - 26 SEP 09 // CHICAGO - 19 JUL 13 // PORTLAND - 29 NOV 13
    CHICAGO - 20 AUG 16 // CHICAGO - 22 AUG 16 // PHOENIX - 09 MAY 22 // CHICAGO - 05 SEP 23 // CHICAGO - 07 SEP 23
  • Options
    AO253126AO253126 Posts: 363
    dcp3y said:
    dcp3y said:
    Question for the Atmos mixes of Ten and No Code, can you purchase these versions in iTunes as a non-subscribed Apple Music person?  I looked in the music store but didn’t see any high res options…just what looked to be regular album digital files.  I have all the tools for Atmos playback, just want the album files which I prefer to buy rather than rent/subscribe.  Love Gigaton’s Atmos one.
    To answer my own question for the hopeful benefit of someone else…

iTunes does not display the Atmos logo, but the Music app does.  As previously said, both Ten and No Code have this format.  You can purchase in the iTunes Store and here are the corresponding screen shots displaying the Atmos format:
    Thank you. I was wondering about this too.
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,537
    Listening to No Code now. I'm definitely hearing things I've never heard before, which is amazing after 25 years. Some things (notes, vocal accents) are left out and/or different too.

Hail Hail sounded awful. Guitars sit WAY too high. There's almost no Jeff. And Jack is ticked down too.

Who You Are was changed to "Just a little time..." instead of "Take me for a ride..." right before the second verses.

First pass, I'm not a fan of the Atmos mix for No Code, tbh. Jeff has all but disappeared.

Unless I'm doing something wrong lol, but I don't think I am. I logged into my brother's Apple Music account. Atmos is enabled on my phone. My regular music files sound fine.

Wasn't "Just a little time" on the original? That's what I remember. The only lyric change I remember was clapping hands to avalanche
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 said:

Wasn't "Just a little time" on the original? That's what I remember. The only lyric change I remember was clapping hands to avalanche
    that's how I've always remembered it and I've typically listened only to the original.  
  • Options
    Jeff is repped very well in this mix. The instrument separation is gorgeous. It sounds like Ed is singing right in front of me. Master job on this. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    In My Tree, damn, sounds coming at me from all around. Jack’s drums sound amazing. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Release is jarring, in a good way. Vocals aren’t re-recorded at all like someone had mentioned earlier. Master/slave is TRIPPY. Everything sounds so open. Ed’s vocals soar. Evans absolutely killed it on both of these. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,537
    The first time I heard the Dolby Atmos sound was in the new A Star is Born in theaters. I remember thinking this sounds different. When he plays the riff of Pretty Woman. Even hearing the Gigaton songs on youtube sounded livelier 
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Release is jarring, in a good way. Vocals aren’t re-recorded at all like someone had mentioned earlier. Master/slave is TRIPPY. Everything sounds so open. Ed’s vocals soar. Evans absolutely killed it on both of these. 
    Unless you were not listening to the Atmos mix of Release, the vocals are absolutely a different newer performance.
    PORTLAND - 18 JUL 98 // TAMPA - 12 AUG 00 // PORTLAND - 02 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 05 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 09 DEC 02
    BERN, SWITZERLAND - 13 SEP 06 // PORTLAND - 26 SEP 09 // CHICAGO - 19 JUL 13 // PORTLAND - 29 NOV 13
    CHICAGO - 20 AUG 16 // CHICAGO - 22 AUG 16 // PHOENIX - 09 MAY 22 // CHICAGO - 05 SEP 23 // CHICAGO - 07 SEP 23
  • Options
    bigbiggzybigbiggzy Posts: 718
    Thank you(!!) PJ (#joshevansyoubeautifulSOB) for doing this…. I love having this option.

Completely agree with the idea of hearing things you’ve never heard before when listening in Atmos… Almost like the songs take on a different character… or provide a new experience. 

Listening to No Code on “11” as I type this…. Absolutely loving it. 💙
  • Options
    No Code as a whole in Atmos was stunning. Who You Are had more going on in the surround speakers than in the front speakers!
  • Options
    Gotta say - being able to hear things like this is awesome. 

With Ten - we essentially have 3 different versions - The OG, the 09 O’Brien Mix, and the Evans Atmos vm. 

Today’s a good day, gang. 😉 
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,660
    edited March 1
    Edit....and I finally got a system 
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • Options
    Just for a second. Can you imagine? Josh is himself a huge fan of the band. Can you imagine how it must have felt to sit down at a board with the goddamn multi tracks to Ten??? God I would have lost my shit. 
  • Options
    Lol…
  • Options
    So many “spoken”s to pan wherever you want!!!
  • Options
    Does Spotify support Atmos?
  • Options
    Nope. 
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    People are definitely listening to different versions of different things, maybe not the Atmos versions.

The version of Release I listened to is 100% a different vocal track.

And in Who You Are, per my expert graphic illustrations lol:

The lyrics are wrong vs. what I heard.

1 - I got "Just a little time...". The NC version and the RVM version both have "Take me for a ride...". I've never heard "Just a little time..." in this spot before.

2 - Circumstance

3 - Clapping hands

And I'm listening to the Atmos mix
    Post edited by We All Believe on

• Options
    The RockThe Rock Posts: 1,401
    I have an Android device and Sony WH-1000xm3 headphones, and listening to Ten last night was an unbelievable experience. The separation of instruments is insane, especially on a song like Porch. 

Release is definitely a different vocal take. Still sounds great, but an odd choice to use this vocal. 

Is Gigaton in Dolby only available on Apple Music? I have a Tidal subscription and it's not on there. I don't want to pay for another service to hear Gigaton. 
    2006: London Astoria, Lisbon I & II, Paris, Verona, Milano
    2007: Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    2009: Manchester
    2010: Belfast, Berlin
    2012: Manchester I & II
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes
    2018: Amsterdam I, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, London
    2022: Berlin, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam II
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,660
    Release is definitely from the last ten years based on the singing changes so it has to be Out of the Furnace.  

I agree that Hail Hail lost some power to it.  Other tunes sound better tho.  It’s just weird to hear new things when the mix is changed.  Even Master/Slave
  • Options
    I spent all of yesterday with Ten on repeat. Most of the day when I was working, it was the Redux on stereo speakers. The Redux mix has been my go to since it came out. I pretty much prefer it in every way over the original Tim Palmer mix. I find overall that Josh Evans' Atmos mix strives to strike a balance between the original mix and the Redux mix, but many times stays truer to the original. Because of that, I think in headphones and times when I can only listen to stereo, I will continue to listen to the Redux mix. But when I have the time and opportunity to sit down in my home theater and listen, I will choose the Atmos mix.

Except for one song... Porch. I just cannot listen to the Atmos mix of Porch. It's missing the harmonizing guitar parts, choosing to focus only on one of them. It's also gone back to burying Mike's insane guitar part during the "I know when I would not ever hold you..." part of the song that is so prominent in the Redux mix, I could never go back. Why on earth anyone (Palmer or Evans) would choose to bury this amazing part is beyond me. Plus overall, the more raw Vs. sound to the Redux Porch just fits the song so much better. So my playlist for Ten in Atmos substitutes the Redux mix for Porch.