• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,015
    tish said:
    ^^

Have the teenagers cover up more.

Fixed.
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,015
    Simone Biles is out.  That sucks.  Really wanted her to medal.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    tish said:
    ^^

Have the teenagers cover up more.

Fixed.
    While I enjoy seeing women play on the beach in bikinis there is no reason that the women have to wear bikini gear and men wear shorts and shirts, other than exploitation.

This is not just about teenagers, although I agree it is worse if they do this for teen sports.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,946
    I could watch any sport on the Olympics  and enjoy it. The commitment is awe inspiring 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    If anyone is looking at 16 year olds in that  way they  have a problem.  
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,495
    Simone Biles is out.  That sucks.  Really wanted her to medal.
    Agreed.. she's amazing, I was looking forward to seeing her compete. 
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    Zod said:
    I read Japan will lose at least 20 billion…lmfao.  Toyota cancelled their ads in support of the Japanese people who wanted the games cancelled…

and yes fans matter.  Now Japan and her citizens are really on the hook…

and many of those venues will not be utilized when the games are over.

countries need to re-think if the bullshit Olympics are worth it anymore…

Yah, I read the Japan legally didn't have the capacity to cancel or postpone them.  They got stuck in a bad place.

I'm not sure why countries are so eager to host them.  It does seem like a giant money pit of which you have very little control over.   Japan is probably the worst example, because of the pandemic, and not getting any ticket revenue.. but other years countries end up losing too.

Maybe countries will be less eager going forward.  Maybe repeating cities from the past that already infrastructure in place?

Games were forced on Japan by IOC and TV contracts. Opening ceremony clearly suffered as there was not enough time to put on a production and one wants to be seen as celebrating during a time like this. Tokyo is in a state of emergency and yet this had to carry on. I feel bad for Japan, this should have been something special.  My family and I were supposed to be there and we are so disappointed that our Japan trip was cancelled for the second year in a row.  We will watch to support the athletes, many of which probably do not want to be there.
  • Options
    Jumb0Jumb0 Posts: 910
    Zod said:
    I read Japan will lose at least 20 billion…lmfao.  Toyota cancelled their ads in support of the Japanese people who wanted the games cancelled…

and yes fans matter.  Now Japan and her citizens are really on the hook…

and many of those venues will not be utilized when the games are over.

countries need to re-think if the bullshit Olympics are worth it anymore…

Yah, I read the Japan legally didn't have the capacity to cancel or postpone them.  They got stuck in a bad place.

I'm not sure why countries are so eager to host them.  It does seem like a giant money pit of which you have very little control over.   Japan is probably the worst example, because of the pandemic, and not getting any ticket revenue.. but other years countries end up losing too.

Maybe countries will be less eager going forward.  Maybe repeating cities from the past that already infrastructure in place?

There should really only be 2-3 "permanent" hosts for each of the summer and winter Olympics. It's a huge money suck for most countries who have to build a ridiculous amount of infrastructure/stadiums/arenas etc. Then after the olympics are over almost all of the facilities are just abandoned. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/abandoned-olympic-venues-around-the-world-photos-rio-2016-8
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,631
    Not so sure how I feel about this Simone Biles thing.  I guess I don't understand what it exactly means to not be in the right mental state.  If you are going to pull out of an olympic event, do it sooner than later so that another alternate who did not attend can join the team. 
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,967
    It sounds like she might be back for her next event if her "mental state" improves.

Definitely odd....
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    Interesting.  Earlier, I read that she withdrew due to a "medical issue."  I guess her state of mind was the medical issue they were referring to.  Agree that if it is not a physical injury, it is a hard situation to understand.  Hopefully we get clarity.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,967
    bbiggs said:
    Interesting.  Earlier, I read that she withdrew due to a "medical issue."  I guess her state of mind was the medical issue they were referring to.  Agree that if it is not a physical injury, it is a hard situation to understand.  Hopefully we get clarity.
    yeah she might just need to clear her head....I would have thought that would have already happened but you are right about mental injury.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,776
    golfers get the yips. pitcher/hitters something similar. goalies.....
    just get into this mental space where an otherwise accomplished athlete can not do anything right.

With Simone , we're talking about a 24 yr old. Had the Nasser shit come to light, all of last years shit, and the fucking media. goddamned media gotta have some kind of story.....

and I read this NYT article title and still she rises. there is a measure of cockiness, perhaps the 1st mistake shattered that self-image, compound that with 2 or 3 more.......

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Jumb0Jumb0 Posts: 910
    They had an interview with her the other day where she talked about being fearless in the past but now that she's "older" she thinks more about all the things that can go wrong during her routines
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,776
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    that’s the thing with mental health…you can be fine one moment, and then are not so fine.  

It’s not the end of world for fans of the her.  If you really are a fan, then support should be shown and hopefully she gets the help she needs…

And her mental health is none of anyone’s business but hers and who she chooses to tell.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,430
    If Simone is feeling "off" and lost her confidence it's extremely dangerous for her to go out there and perform those routines. America will survive with a women's gymnastics silver medal.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    If Simone is feeling "off" and lost her confidence it's extremely dangerous for her to go out there and perform those routines. America will survive with a women's gymnastics silver medal.
    I agree with your statement.  Although my first thoughts are about her teammates and the girl that didn't go to the Olympics.  I don't care about fans personally. 
  • Options
    Pain is pain
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    If someone broke their  ankle  nobody bats an eyelid. I just saw her interview.  I didnt  know who  she even is.  But respect to this lady. It's  time people  realise the  brain controls  the  whole body. There is no mental health. It's  all HEALTH.  The  brain is the  body 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    EdsonNascimentoEdsonNascimento Posts: 5,506
    If someone broke their  ankle  nobody bats an eyelid. I just saw her interview.  I didnt  know who  she even is.  But respect to this lady. It's  time people  realise the  brain controls  the  whole body. There is no mental health. It's  all HEALTH.  The  brain is the  body 

here’s what a champion does for their team when they’re hurt 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bwa5Bf656As
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    mrussel1 said:
    I agree with your statement.  Although my first thoughts are about her teammates and the girl that didn't go to the Olympics.  I don't care about fans personally. 
    Here’s the difference between you and her teammates…guaranteed everyone of her teammates including someone that missed getting a spot is more concerned about Simone the person, not the gymnast or the colour of the medal…

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,463
    dankind said:
    I can't believe skateboarding is an actual event.  Might as well have farting competitions too.
    Yeah, I've never broken my wrist or elbow, gotten severe road rash (embedding loose gravel beneath layers of skin) or multiple concussions, or separated my shoulder completely from my clavicle by farting.

Farting is way more Olympics speed. Like running in a circle. That's a big one.
    you’re way too old for skateboarding, Dan.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,463
    Yefa said:
    Wobbie, awful take.
    Beach volleyball is awesome.

Agreed.  I enjoy watching beach volleyball in every Summer Olympics.
    joke “sport.”
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,242

How are those Pringles olympic couch champion?
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    Here’s the difference between you and her teammates…guaranteed everyone of her teammates including someone that missed getting a spot is more concerned about Simone the person, not the gymnast or the colour of the medal…

You will only know what they say aloud.  You can't guarantee shit.  What if you worked just as hard for that gold, were nervous as hell, the whole deal.  I can't say for sure I wouldn't be hurt inside that someone bailed at the last minute.  
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    This is a tough one to try and explain to my 10 year old daughter who is highly competitive in gymnastics. 
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Its tough.  Im not going to judge the best athletes in the world.  It’s a different time.  As a former (non-Olympian lol) athlete I do believe that there’s pros to pushing through the nerves and anguish and crap you’re going through but again we don't know what her mind is like or what its like at that level.   

Her warmups looked terrible so i think her team probably was better off.  It’s just tough in general to prepare for 5 years and then not get to compete.  It is what it is man.  The Russians looked pretty good anyway.  Might not have mattered.  
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,279

https://www.today.com/news/kerri-strug-shares-her-support-simone-biles-rest-usa-gymnasts-t226636

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Its tough.  Im not going to judge the best athletes in the world.  It’s a different time.  As a former (non-Olympian lol) athlete I do believe that there’s pros to pushing through the nerves and anguish and crap you’re going through but again we don't know what her mind is like or what its like at that level.   

Her warmups looked terrible so i think her team probably was better off.  It’s just tough in general to prepare for 5 years and then not get to compete.  It is what it is man.  The Russians looked pretty good anyway.  Might not have mattered.  
    Well if she wasn't the best person to be competing, and the mental clearly affected the physical, that's another story.  I guess it's like the time Chuck Knoblaugh forgot how to throw from second to first for a few weeks.