Options

Dave Abbruzzese comments on his omission from the MTV Unplugged DVD cover

Comments

• Options
    Tjm007Tjm007 Posts: 152
    He was the drummer on the two best albums - some satisfaction in that I guess.
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,963
    All pj drummers have been top class and amazing.  Thats the truth
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,433
    mrk2 said:
    on2legs said:
    If Some Kind of Monster was a Pearl Jam doc, the part of Dave Mustaine would be played by Dave A. 
    Well, one Dave made great career with his next band including genre defining albums, the other one not so much.
    And yet neither guy ever got over it.  
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    zurdo82zurdo82 Posts: 1
    tdawe said:
    I don’t have the DVD but here are some images from the LP jacket. I guess Dave didn’t comment on these. 

I also have the Vinyl. and like you have just shown and proved, Dave is there and credited. According the discogs, the DVD release is UNOFFICIAL - https://www.discogs.com/Pearl-Jam-MTV-Unplugged/master/1330087.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,020
    edited March 2021
    zurdo82 said:
    tdawe said:
    I don’t have the DVD but here are some images from the LP jacket. I guess Dave didn’t comment on these. 

I also have the Vinyl. and like you have just shown and proved, Dave is there and credited. According the discogs, the DVD release is UNOFFICIAL - https://www.discogs.com/Pearl-Jam-MTV-Unplugged/master/1330087.
    Someone needs to tell Tenclub and the label that, they shipped an UNOFFICIAL DVD in the SE release of Ten then back in... 2009.

What the hell has the vinyl release to do with the topic of the thread?
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    BloodMeridian80BloodMeridian80 Seattle Posts: 580
    Dave should focus on the present. He got a golden ticket and blew it. It’s like your friend still talking about an ex 20, almost 30 fuggin years later. Give me a break, move on.
  • Options
    Dave A. knew going in that the band viewed the drummer as a fungible asset... he was already the third guy sitting in that seat.  He should have adapted his personality to the rest of the band if he wanted to stay. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,168
    Dave should focus on the present. He got a golden ticket and blew it. It’s like your friend still talking about an ex 20, almost 30 fuggin years later. Give me a break, move on.
    yah, but what if she's the one that got away?   I'm not sure how you look past that.  Like you said he had the golden ticket, then lost it.   Probably been spending most of his life coping with that, and the fact that most people don't find two golden tickets let alone 2.

I suppose it doesn't help that people ask him these questions.  I suppose he could not do interviews.  
  • Options
    Niko80Niko80 Posts: 1,559
    BV84003 said:
    eh, he still gets credited on the vault releases from the early 90s, and (I assume) gets royalties for those if not just the actual album sales still. I'm not sure if he expects a Christmas card from the guys every year or what. He's a former member that continues to get properly credited.
    Frankly he made out like a bandit with all the songs on Vs, and all but three songs on Vitalogy, being credited to the entire band. Those are the only two albums where they do that. Let's face it, songs like Not For You, Corduroy, and Immortality should probably be credited solely to Eddie. Animal and Daughter should totally be Gossard/Vedder, etc. So Dave made out pretty well.  
    I can agree with you on Not for You and Corduroy, but I find the drums on Immortality to be quite unique and adding a lot to the atmosphere of the song. Dave A deserves some credit here imo. 
    I will swallow poison
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Zod said:

suppose he could not do interviews.   
    He pretty much never has done interviews? He's pretty much has never talked about his time in Guns N Roses either? He did an interview with Kim Neely(?) for her book on the band back when. He has done a podcast interview for a friends podcast recently. He commented on his feeling on the situation of the RnR HoF when that happened, and I figure outlets was reaching out to him for a comment. And has had some critical and/or "wry" (if that is the word for "syrlig" in english) comments in the social media age or have answered peoples questions. To my knowledge. Maybe not being on Reddit or TicToc I have missed where all this raging is happening.

This image being painted in here of this "scorn ex (member) that for the world just can't get past his former partner/band" is a rock and roll stereotype individuals like on2legs are doing the hardest to squeeze Dave A into - but it doesn't hold much water if you look at the actual history. 

So, start to think about why these posters are in here doing that, why they feel the need to try to do that -- instead of accepting that fabricated view as reality.

Would one not understand Peter Criss for being critical if a video re-release of ALIVE II looked like this:

Or would one be completely unable to see the ciritism with some excuse of "
    The Art direction for the Unplugged sleave (read: Alive II sleeve) simply points to the 4  (read: 2) members still current. Case closed. Stop your cryin'!" as dreamweaver chose to put it.

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    In the past few years, I can recall multiple incidents where he gets on social media and posts these sad, dramatic little messages to random posts. Comparing Criss to Dave A is a huge stretch (Criss founded the band, wrote and sang multiple hits) but if you see them as comparatively meaningful to their respective bands, fair enough. Explains a lot and I look forward to ‘here’s what Dave A thinks about ____’ post in the coming years.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    In the past few years, I can recall multiple incidents where he gets on social media and posts these sad, dramatic little messages to random posts. Comparing Criss to Dave A is a huge stretch (Criss founded the band, wrote and sang multiple hits) but if you see them as comparatively meaningful to their respective bands, fair enough. Explains a lot and I look forward to ‘here’s what Dave A thinks about ____’ post in the coming years.
    Might be me rosetinting-glassing him because of how I love the druming on those 1994 shows. I would not say a snidy comment her or there on a band that kicked him out over a breakfast - is the same as "man, that dude needs to let it goooooo". 

But let's focus on what's important here

- Criss barely founded the band. He was in the band when it was founded.
    - Criss did not write any hit songs - he brought in one (Beth) but that seems to heavily been written by his former bandmate whatever his name was. It was even about the former bandmates girlfriend (Beck, before Bob Ezrin changed it to Beth). 
    - Sang on Beth. He did sing on some stone cold classics and DIRTY LIVIN' is the best song off Dynasty... but "sang on multuple hits" is wrong.

I would bet money on Dave A adding more crativly to Pearl Jam during his years than Peter Criss did. Peter didn't even drum on all of the albums having him as member and him on the cover. Dave A atleast drummed on his albums, to my knowledge.

Your lack of knowledge about Peter Criss part in KISS, makes your post kind of shaky.

And also, Criss and Dave A singing on hit songs or not has nothing to do with the reference to KISS in my post you were referecing. 
  • Options
    I feel like Dave is more interested in airing his grievances than an actual resolution. 

• Options
    PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,767
    on2legs said:
    I feel like Dave is more interested in airing his grievances than an actual resolution. 
    Because that is fucking true.  
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    jesus, all these comments about "dave being miserable" and "needing to move on with his life" are kind of over the top. The guy makes one flippant remark on facebook, and also will answer questions about PJ when asked (which he probably shouldn't, because of this very thing), but no one knows the state of the guy's mind 24/7. it's probably more of a snapshot of a 2 second annoyance than anything. 

he has every reason to be annoyed at that. he was with the biggest band in the world, and barely gets a mention anywhere like he was some session drummer for a couple songs. 

the rock hall induction, to be clear, was not the band's choice. that was the hall's. always has been. 

someone brings up my shithead ex girlfriend that cheated on me, yeah, for 5 seconds I'm like "fuck her!", but then the literal rest of my life I don't think about her. this is the most likely scenario in my mind. 

one comment here or there on facebook does not equal a person's whole state of mind. come on, people. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited March 2021
    PB11041 said:
    on2legs said:
    Because that is fucking true.  
    What would be the #actual resolution" here? I doubt he was the one omitting himself from the cover in question. Or was he the one dedicing that in a Fight Club-esque twist of a move?
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    jesus, all these comments about "dave being miserable" and "needing to move on with his life" are kind of over the top. The guy makes one flippant remark on facebook, and also will answer questions about PJ when asked (which he probably shouldn't, because of this very thing), but no one knows the state of the guy's mind 24/7. it's probably more of a snapshot of a 2 second annoyance than anything. 

he has every reason to be annoyed at that. he was with the biggest band in the world, and barely gets a mention anywhere like he was some session drummer for a couple songs. 

the rock hall induction, to be clear, was not the band's choice. that was the hall's. always has been. 

someone brings up my shithead ex girlfriend that cheated on me, yeah, for 5 seconds I'm like "fuck her!", but then the literal rest of my life I don't think about her. this is the most likely scenario in my mind. 

one comment here or there on facebook does not equal a person's whole state of mind. come on, people. 
    But this doesn't support the stereotypical narrative being fabricated and pushed here, to antagonize the man.

Hmm.

Something sure seems rotten in Denmark

• Options
    Lest anyone think that Dave's departure from the band is not history repeating itself....I present:  Mr. Pete Best
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pete_Best

• Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427

I'm guessing the truth lies somewhere between your well-stated post and those talking about Dave A's bitterness being something still pretty alive.  But I bet you're right, it's been so long, and so many years and water under bridges, I bet it's just at times like this when the media are looking for angry ex-band members to spill the tea before each RNR Hall of Fame induction ceremony they're looking for angry people and juicy stories if they can get them.  Guessing most of the time though he's not waking up with this on his mind.
  • Options
    Might be me rosetinting-glassing him because of how I love the druming on those 1994 shows. I would not say a snidy comment her or there on a band that kicked him out over a breakfast - is the same as "man, that dude needs to let it goooooo". 

But let's focus on what's important here

- Criss barely founded the band. He was in the band when it was founded.
    - Criss did not write any hit songs - he brought in one (Beth) but that seems to heavily been written by his former bandmate whatever his name was. It was even about the former bandmates girlfriend (Beck, before Bob Ezrin changed it to Beth). 
    - Sang on Beth. He did sing on some stone cold classics and DIRTY LIVIN' is the best song off Dynasty... but "sang on multuple hits" is wrong.

I would bet money on Dave A adding more crativly to Pearl Jam during his years than Peter Criss did. Peter didn't even drum on all of the albums having him as member and him on the cover. Dave A atleast drummed on his albums, to my knowledge.

Your lack of knowledge about Peter Criss part in KISS, makes your post kind of shaky.

And also, Criss and Dave A singing on hit songs or not has nothing to do with the reference to KISS in my post you were referecing. 
    I should of said founding member. Felt like you were comparing the two with your post. His presence as a vocalist makes a pretty big imprint to ignore. Criss sang lead on like 10 songs over 7 years. His presence as part of KISS imo was much bigger and over a longer period, but agree to disagree. 

I’m exiting the world of the Dave A debate. I’ll try to avoid entering it again. Best of luck ✌️ 
  • Options
    NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,301

Re: HOF, when the Dead were inducted they refused to go unless every former member was included. The HOF agreed. Ed has a long history with the HOF, and if he wanted Dave included Dave would have been.
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,014
    zurdo82 said:
    tdawe said:

Someone needs to tell Tenclub and the label that, they shipped an UNOFFICIAL DVD in the SE release of Ten then back in... 2009.

You don't see it as relevant to the topic? Thread title being Dave commenting about not on the unplugged DVD cover. There was no standalone official DVD release, only part of the Ten 20th anniversary package. Seems completely relevant to bring up he was on the cover of the official LP (and CD?) standalone release to me. Conversations can expand, its still related to the topic. You can't expect people to only discuss Dave A and the limited DVD release and not expand the topic to include other official Unplugged releases. Seems more related than comparing it to Megadeth, GNR or KISS.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    mace1229 said:
    zurdo82 said:
    tdawe said:

You don't see it as relevant to the topic? Thread title being Dave commenting about not on the unplugged DVD cover. There was no standalone official DVD release, only part of the Ten 20th anniversary package. Seems completely relevant to bring up he was on the cover of the official LP (and CD?) standalone release to me. Conversations can expand, its still related to the topic. You can't expect people to only discuss Dave A and the limited DVD release and not expand the topic to include other official Unplugged releases. Seems more related than comparing it to Megadeth, GNR or KISS.
    No. I don't see it being relevant to the topic.

Or what is being said by it, that I am missing? 

There might be a point that is going over my head.

He is credited in the liner notes (if that is the correct term) of the Unplugged vinyl, yes. I guess he is or would have been if the DVD had linear notes with the people playing being listed too.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    edited March 2021
    NewJPage said:

Re: HOF, when the Dead were inducted they refused to go unless every former member was included. The HOF agreed. Ed has a long history with the HOF, and if he wanted Dave included Dave would have been.
    I do believe many a band, with much more clout than the Dead, has made such a "demand" and the Dead is the first I've heard where the Hall acquiesced. I think it's a tad presumptuous to assume 1)  Ed has that much power and 2) he automatically would have wielded said power to get what he wanted. I mean, Jack didn't get inducted with the band either. I know he was in with the Peppers, but if Ed really wanted him in, and if he had the power, why wouldn't he have?
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    NewJPage said:

Totally agree on this point. 

• Options
    edited March 2021
    on2legs said:
    NewJPage said:

Do not agree that he could have even if he/the band wanted to take the fight. Or maybe if they put forth a case, but not "because he is Eddie Vedder and has history with the HoF".

But by that logic, does Eddie not want Jack inducted? Or was it not worth using his leverage to get Jack inducted, because Dave A might have had slipped through the cracks?
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,824
    Makes much more sense...

1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    With all the HOF chatter, I just remembered that seeing them inducted that night was the last time I’ve seen them perform live. 😢

• Options
    NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,301
    on2legs said:
    NewJPage said:

Do not agree that he could have even if he/the band wanted to take the fight. Or maybe if they put forth a case, but not "because he is Eddie Vedder and has history with the HoF".

But by that logic, does Eddie not want Jack inducted? Or was it not worth using his leverage to get Jack inducted, because Dave A might have had slipped through the cracks?
    It's not about not wanting Jack, it's about choosing to not fight for either. Both are more deserving than Krusan, no offense to him. This is a band that refused to take the stage unless corporate signage was removed. It's not like the HoF would have told their headliner to piss off. There is precedent for the hall changing their stance based on the desires of the band
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    NewJPage said:
    on2legs said:
    NewJPage said:

It's not about not wanting Jack, it's about choosing to not fight for either. Both are more deserving than Krusan, no offense to him. This is a band that refused to take the stage unless corporate signage was removed. It's not like the HoF would have told their headliner to piss off. There is precedent for the hall changing their stance based on the desires of the band
    My take on it, and was back when PJ was inducted, is that RnR HoF should just induct the band/artist. Full stop. The band/artist as a whole. E.g. "This year PEARL JAM will be inducted" or "This year Grateful dead is one of the inductees!" and then the band/artist can order how many plaques from the RnR HoF as they need and decide what past and present members are deserving of one.

Should not be the RnR HoF deciding what constitutes the band, or what part of a band or era and it's legacy that matters or not. I find that odd. And unnecessary. 

Also, about throwing around ones weight. KISS, which I imagine was the headliner the year they was inducted, wanted present members inducted and made a stink about it publicly - but that did not work. But yeah. Whatever. It is what it is.

Dave A should - in my world and for my youtubing pleasure - have been personally reached out to and invited by the band to join them and destroy Rearviewmirror up on that stage that night. Might be a weird opinion. Might not be in line with the art direction of the Unplugged DVD.

But my evenings alone with only youtube as my friend and an endless amount of screwdrivers, would have been a bit better with being able to watch that on repeat.