Options

Dave Abbruzzese comments on his omission from the MTV Unplugged DVD cover

124»

Comments

• Options
    PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,767
    PB11041 said:
    on2legs said:
    I feel like Dave is more interested in airing his grievances than an actual resolution. 
    Because that is fucking true.  
    What would be the #actual resolution" here? I doubt he was the one omitting himself from the cover in question. Or was he the one dedicing that in a Fight Club-esque twist of a move?
    moving the fuck on, he is never going to be back in pearl jam, time is never going to flip over on itself invert, the band or specific members are never going to say sorry and bring him wooby cushion to squeeze.  

Members of the band did not get along with him the same way they felt about others, shit happens, it is too bad, but that is the actual resolutioni, embracing reality.
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,437
    At the time they mentioned Neil was not feeling well but later Ed said the reason was that he didn’t want to make a speech to an arena full of people.  He thought it was going to be a much more intimate affair when he said yes originally. Kind of lame on Neil’s part. Especially since Ed inducted him. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    edocon said:
    I believe the band's tweet/announcement inviting all past drummers was indeed an open invitation. Surely they didn't mean Dave A. was "invited" to buy a ticket in the nosebleeds like any other rock fan. If I recall, Jack was sitting in proximity to the band at the event and joined them on stage for the Rockin in the Free World finale. If Dave A. had reached out to the band, they likely would have made similar accommodations for him. It seems the band was in the spirit of honoring all members and crew, current and former at the event. And Ed did note that Dave A. is a great drummer in his induction speech.
    I don't know how to put multiple quotes in one post, but you and I posted at the same time before. The HOF issues an invite to "the band" as they define it, which are also the members being inducted, let's say to John, Paul, George & Ringo. And usually each gets one guest or don't know how it works with whole families of an inducted member.

If the band had prior members, or additional members, or 1 member in HOF's invite list left and was replaced later on, some bands seem to negotiate for those members to be included in actual inductee list.

But once the HOF agrees on who is officially inducted, which are also the free tickets, then if the band wants to invite other past/current members or any other family, each ticket is $10,000 or more.  Those are still tickets that get you to the artist's table or nearby, backstage, onstage, you're still among the musicians.

That is completely different from fan, regular person seats that anyone can buy.  So no one is saying PJ invited Dave to buy seats sold to anyone on ticketmaster, but he may have received the "You're not being inducted, and you have to pay $10,000 for your ticket and another $10k if you bring a date, but you're invited to this ceremony".  It's happened to countless band members over time re: the HOF.

I'm not claiming to know what didn't or didn't happen in PJ's specific case, just saying that is what it sounds like may have, because why turn down an invite to actually be inducted and be onstage accepting?  That's not what it sounds like Dave is saying he rejected.

• Options
    on2legs said:
    He said he wouldn’t have shown up even if he had been inducted. 

Like I said... more interested in drama than a resolution 
    Season 8 GIF - Find  Share on GIPHY

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,030
    edited March 2021
    PB11041 said:
    PB11041 said:
    on2legs said:
    I feel like Dave is more interested in airing his grievances than an actual resolution. 
    What would be the #actual resolution" here? I doubt he was the one omitting himself from the cover in question. Or was he the one dedicing that in a Fight Club-esque twist of a move?
    moving the fuck on, he is never going to be back in pearl jam, time is never going to flip over on itself invert, the band or specific members are never going to say sorry and bring him wooby cushion to squeeze.  

Members of the band did not get along with him the same way they felt about others, shit happens, it is too bad, but that is the actual resolutioni, embracing reality.
    So, if I understand you correctly - what you are saying is that Pearl Jam should move the fuck on, Dave A is never going to not be the drummer during 91-94, time is never going to flip over on itself invert, Dave A is never going to say sorry for being their drummer in 91-94 and bring them a wooby cushion or squeeze --

-- and then the band should reach "actual resolution" and not consciously omitt him if they choose a design of portraits on a DVD from a live show he played at as a full member of the band?

... I mean, if resolution is to be had? Or what?
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    on2legs said:
    At the time they mentioned Neil was not feeling well but later Ed said the reason was that he didn’t want to make a speech to an arena full of people.  He thought it was going to be a much more intimate affair when he said yes originally. Kind of lame on Neil’s part. Especially since Ed inducted him. 
    Not everyone is comfortable holding speeches in front of large groups of people. An arena is quite big. Could feel intimidating. 

I doubt he turned it down close to the event "just because".

EDIT: He should include the speech in written form in the Mirrorball Live Vinyl box set.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,437

Ralph Wiggum would not have turned down an invite to HOF.  
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,228

Ralph upon opening his invitation
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Ralph when he realises he have to play the drums on State of Love and Trust at the RnR HoF like when he was in his 20s

• Options
    PB11041 said:
    PB11041 said:
    on2legs said:

So, if I understand you correctly - what you are saying is that Pearl Jam should move the fuck on, Dave A is never going to not be the drummer during 91-94, time is never going to flip over on itself invert, Dave A is never going to say sorry for being their drummer in 91-94 and bring them a wooby cushion or squeeze --

-- and then the band should reach "actual resolution" and not consciously omitt him if they choose a design of portraits on a DVD from a live show he played at as a full member of the band?

... I mean, if resolution is to be had? Or what?
    it troubles you deeply that basically nobody gives a shit about this with any more than a bit of a shrug.  you asked what actual resolution is and you were given an answer, but what you want is just people to all feel like you do, and that is a total waste of time and energy.  As is Dave's perpetual need for recognition of what he lost.    

The great injustice of the unplugged dvd square snub will haunt us until in can be undone.