Options

Cancelled!

Comments

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,338
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    You don’t see a difference between saying I don’t want to participate and view something vs taking it down completely? NFL is still going strong despite a few people choosing not watch.
    Oh, mace...

Not again. 
    Ahh yes, when they don't agree with you, cut them down!
    Lol sure man. He's the king of both sidesing nonsense. Clearly the Trump people would have LOVED if their boycott lead to enough of a drop in ratings that the NFL downgraded their national tv schedule or something. There was no chance of that happening but that would've been utopia for those fucking hypocrites.

They did succeed in getting the league to blackball Kaepernick (get the son of a bitch out of there!) the hell out of the league for taking a knee for 60 seconds. Meanwhile they look the other way at the Trump insurrectionists violently trying to overthrow the government. There is no greater hypocrite than the Trump "Conservative Republican."
    So sounds like you agree, then continue to argue about it.
    The outcome was completely different. Even by your statement you suggest the goal was probably to downgrade their TV schedule, and not ban NFL. I don’t even think that was the goal, but rather for the NFL commission to enforce the national anthem, and not to cancel anything. 

But either way, there’s a difference between expressing your opinion or even boycotting, vs a complete ban and eliminating anyone from viewing it. If it were the same and the NFL was “canceled” there’d be no NFL. That’s the whole meaning of canceling something, not just make the ratings suffer a few points.
    Yeah, that is a big nope. They literally cancelled Collin Kaepernick for taking a knee during a fucking song. They are happy to have cost him his livelihood. 

Making the ratings suffer a few points and forcing sponsors to to leave a show is what leads to cancellations. It is literally the first step. Unfortunately for them, they are the very vocal minority in this country and it had zero chance of actually coming to 100% fruition. But you are fooling yourself if you think their stupid boycott actually lead to the cancellation of the NFL that Donald Trump wouldn't have made that his main campaign issue last year. "I defeated the NFL! I am all powerful! You're welcome America!"

Hypocrites. That is all Trump "conservatives" are. 

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,526
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    You don’t see a difference between saying I don’t want to participate and view something vs taking it down completely? NFL is still going strong despite a few people choosing not watch.
    Oh, mace...

Not again. 
    Lol sure man. He's the king of both sidesing nonsense. Clearly the Trump people would have LOVED if their boycott lead to enough of a drop in ratings that the NFL downgraded their national tv schedule or something. There was no chance of that happening but that would've been utopia for those fucking hypocrites.

They did succeed in getting the league to blackball Kaepernick (get the son of a bitch out of there!) the hell out of the league for taking a knee for 60 seconds. Meanwhile they look the other way at the Trump insurrectionists violently trying to overthrow the government. There is no greater hypocrite than the Trump "Conservative Republican."
    The outcome was completely different. Even by your statement you suggest the goal was probably to downgrade their TV schedule, and not ban NFL. I don’t even think that was the goal, but rather for the NFL commission to enforce the national anthem, and not to cancel anything. 

But either way, there’s a difference between expressing your opinion or even boycotting, vs a complete ban and eliminating anyone from viewing it. If it were the same and the NFL was “canceled” there’d be no NFL. That’s the whole meaning of canceling something, not just make the ratings suffer a few points.
    Yeah, that is a big nope. They literally cancelled Collin Kaepernick for taking a knee during a fucking song. They are happy to have cost him his livelihood. 

Making the ratings suffer a few points and forcing sponsors to to leave a show is what leads to cancellations. It is literally the first step. Unfortunately for them, they are the very vocal minority in this country and it had zero chance of actually coming to 100% fruition. But you are fooling yourself if you think their stupid boycott actually lead to the cancellation of the NFL that Donald Trump wouldn't have made that his main campaign issue last year. "I defeated the NFL! I am all powerful! You're welcome America!"

The whole anthem controversy had all but gone away until trump threw a can of gasoline on the embers. 

It was an easy way for him to rile up the idiots & racists in his base under the guise of supporting the troops. because who doesn't want to support the troops? 
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,677
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Oh, mace...

Not again. 

Oh, they’re more than that, way more than just that. Way, way, way more.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Oh, mace...

Not again. 

The whole anthem controversy had all but gone away until trump threw a can of gasoline on the embers. 

It was an easy way for him to rile up the idiots & racists in his base under the guise of supporting the troops. because who doesn't want to support the troops? 
    Looks at backgrounds of rounded up insurrectionists and gingerly raises hand.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    dankind said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Oh, mace...

Not again. 

Looks at backgrounds of rounded up insurrectionists and gingerly raises hand.
    Touche 

Edit: your statement hammers home my underlying point - when it came down to supporting the troops or supporting black NFL players protesting systemic racism, that was a no brainer for Trump supporters. 

When it came down to supporting Black Lives Matter or Blue Lives Matter, that was a no brainer for trump supporters. (it was pretty great how conservatives made that into a binary choice, one or the other... it's almost as if they WANT to divide Americans) 

All that shit went out the window on 1/6, which tells us it was never about the troops or supporting police. They were just pawns in the GOP messaging. 
    Post edited by Merkin Baller on
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,866
    bullying to boycott is actually exactly what cancel culture is; whether it be boycotting a physical product, an actor, a politician, etc. it's all the same. it doesn't matter the scale of the intent, or how successful a campaign is or isn't going to be, just the intent to make something or someone either go away or change their practice through social pressure. 
    I guess the civil rights movement was cancel culture?
    static111 said:
    bullying to boycott is actually exactly what cancel culture is; whether it be boycotting a physical product, an actor, a politician, etc. it's all the same. it doesn't matter the scale of the intent, or how successful a campaign is or isn't going to be, just the intent to make something or someone either go away or change their practice through social pressure. 
    According to a few people here that sounds about right.
    How clever. always attempting the "gotcha". 

I don't consider it cancel culture when it's legitimate. that's accountability, or in your example, social change on a massive and necessary scale. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    static111 said:
    According to a few people here that sounds about right.
    How clever. always attempting the "gotcha". 

I don't consider it cancel culture when it's legitimate. that's accountability, or in your example, social change on a massive and necessary scale. 
    Except the “gotcha” is not what you said. “Bullying to boycott is exactly what cancel culture is.” Does that describe/include the lunch counter protests of the 50s and 60s?

I disagree with your premise, that “bullying to boycott is ‘exactly’ what cancel culture is.”
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    opinions on exactly what constitutes cancel culture will be different. it's subjective. 

I don't consider those on the right side of history during the civil rights movement as "bullies". maybe you do. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,026
    I would agree that the scale or result don’t matter. But intent does. And to me I view something as being canceled when that decision is forced on everybody without the widespread support a large boycott draws. Things get boycotted every day, from brands of tuna fish to stores. The goal is usually to create some change. And if enough people participate, it will force the business to change their practices. A boycott shows the support the movement has and shows the business will struggle without change. Being canceled is that decision being forced on everyone when the majority of people don’t agree. I don’t think the majority of people had an issue with Pepe. When something is canceled it’s basically erased from history for everyone. It’s an attitude of I don’t like this so I won’t use it vs I don’t like this so no one can use it. That’s how I perceive the difference. If they were trying to cancel the NFL the way cartoons are canceled, they would have tried to stop the season from happening, banned the sale of NFL merchandise. Destroyed the NFL hall of fame and pretend it ever existed and repurpose all football stadiums so that football can never be played there again.  I don’t recall any of that being a goal. But instead to just put pressure to enforce players to stand. To me that’s not on the same level and therefore not being canceled. I wouldn’t compare the NFL to books that are out of print and no longer available.
  • Options
    "Get that son of a bitch off the field" 

And they did. 

• Options
    edited March 2021
    I also fail to see how phasing Pepe le Pew out of future cartoons = "Erasing him from history"

Regardless, he's a horny cartoon skunk, I think we're going to be ok leaving him in the past. 
  • Options
    opinions on exactly what constitutes cancel culture will be different. it's subjective. 

I don't consider those on the right side of history during the civil rights movement as "bullies". maybe you do. 
    Sorry to disappoint but no, I don't consider those on the right side of the civil rights movement bullies. If "opinions on exactly what constitutes cancel culture is 'subjective,'" then it can't be "exact," can it? To me, cancel culture is a made up term by those wishing to defend the indefensible and being "outraged" that others or some, a vocal few, or the majority, take exception.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Oh, mace...

Not again. 

Come on man! NO ONE has worked harder than the conservatives I know who came from upper middle class/wealthy backgrounds and had their college degree paid for by their parents, and then never had to pay rent/ bills until after they got their first big post college job...those are some of the most self made by the bootstraps people I know of.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,338
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Oh, mace...

Not again. 

Exactly. He ignited it because he knew his racist base would eat it the fuck up and, sure enough, they did. They succeeded in "cancelling" Kaepernick. They got him black balled from his profession. 

They tried and failed to "cancel" the NFL. They also tried and failed to "cancel" Nike after they signed Kaepernick to that endorsement deal. 

Just because the ultimate outcome wasn't met, doesn't mean they did not attempt to "cancel" those things. That is absurd. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    edited March 2021
    Bob Saget next on the docket. Evidence seems to be a statement taken out of context regarding an incident on the set of Full House and jokes told at his expense at  his Comedy Central Roast. Probably time for some of his comedy to go away but I don’t think the dude needs slandered.
    Post edited by DewieCox on
  • Options

• Options
    DewieCox said:
    Bob Saget next on the docket. Evidence seems to be a statement taken out of context regarding an incident on the set of Full House and jokes told at his expense at  his Comedy Central Roast. Probably time for some of his comedy to go away but I don’t think the dude needs slandered.
    i follow him on instagram, and I was reading some of the comments that seemed out of left field "I hope you die" and "what you did to the olsen twins is despicable". one of the comments pointed to some youtube video of some guy outlining what it is he had "done". 

it was cringe-worthy in its dramatics. like you said, it was all about jokes during the roast about him and the olsens. and people are believing some loser youtuber without context or evidence of anything. 

and some say cancel culture is "made up". Sure. LOL. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Comments on a youtuber’s page equates to being “cancelled?” Or jokes made at a roast that lead to said comments? LMFAO.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    DewieCox said:
    i follow him on instagram, and I was reading some of the comments that seemed out of left field "I hope you die" and "what you did to the olsen twins is despicable". one of the comments pointed to some youtube video of some guy outlining what it is he had "done". 

it was cringe-worthy in its dramatics. like you said, it was all about jokes during the roast about him and the olsens. and people are believing some loser youtuber without context or evidence of anything. 

The Saget thing... the guy definitely told some cringe worthy jokes, but as far as I'm aware, that's all he did. 

But in fairness, who's trying to cancel him? The first thing I heard about this was here in this thread... when I search Twitter, there's a little chatter about it, but honestly, I had to go search it out, it's definitely not mainstream, at least from what I've seen. 

If the mob is going after Bob Saget, I think people may have forgot to tell the mob. 
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    DewieCox said:

The Saget thing... the guy definitely told some cringe worthy jokes, but as far as I'm aware, that's all he did. 

But in fairness, who's trying to cancel him? The first thing I heard about this was here in this thread... when I search Twitter, there's a little chatter about it, but honestly, I had to go search it out, it's definitely not mainstream, at least from what I've seen. 

If the mob is going after Bob Saget, I think people may have forgot to tell the mob. 
    I saw it over the weekend on instagram. you're right, there's no real mainstream coverage of it....yet. these things don't all start one second and blow up the next. 

all it takes is one "influencer" to regram/tweet it out and his career is over. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    Ok, but what they’re doing is so much worse than cancelling and will likely have the same effect. 
  • Options
    Yeah, people were clutching their pearls about Dr Seuss getting cancelled recently, and Dr Seuss wasn't cancelled, so I'm inclined to pump the breaks a little on this one. 
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,093
    Bob Saget?  Really?  Is everyone new to his jokes?  When he was asked to join Fullhouse in the beginning as a level headed, loving and understand father EVERYONE that knew him laughed at him playing that role.

Dude is raunchy and funny.
  • Options

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    I feel like the real cancel culture is being perilously ignored. 

• Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,181
    I feel like the real cancel culture is being perilously ignored. 

i am sure many states would welcome these companies. 

i know missouri would welcome american airlines, since lambert airport is no longer a hub for any of the major carriers like they used to be.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    republicans are calling for the cancelation of baseball now. one of them is even threatening to bring antitrust legislation against them.

but, but but, cancel culture!!!!!!
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• Options
    republicans are calling for the cancelation of baseball now. one of them is even threatening to bring antitrust legislation against them.

Never mind that noise.

Is Bob Saget ok? 

Gina Carano? 
  • Options

Never mind that noise.

Is Bob Saget ok? 

Gina Carano? 
    i don't know, but sean spicer just tweeted that we need to boycott mlb.

oh the irony.

i remember them trying to cancel nascar when they banned the confederate flag.