Capitol Hill Riots

Comments

• vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,425
    mcgruff10 said:
    We know trump is the president and master shit stirrer but who is the leader of the protests?  Who organizes all this?
    Good question.  It doesn't seem particularly centralized to me.  But I am sure there are a few ring leaders.  Let's just hope they are not in high levels of law enforcement.  My suspicion is that some are.
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,518
    mcgruff10 said:
    We know trump is the president and master shit stirrer but who is the leader of the protests?  Who organizes all this?
    One of the "organizers"

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,722
    mcgruff10 said:
    One of the "organizers"

Should I know who that guy is? And to further my comment...wtf?!?!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    One of the "organizers"

His Twitter account is no more
  • mcgruff10 said:
    One of the "organizers"

Is the new thing to brag about the laws that you break?
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited January 2021
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    One of the "organizers"

That, and the puppet master controlling a bunch of Qanon and Proud Boys (racist groups, right?)is a black dude??? If true, that is truly fucking hilarious...except that the whole thing is more truly sickening, so I cannot laugh at it as hard as I try.
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,518
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    One of the "organizers"

You shouldn't know him unless your a qanon retRUmplican wackadoodle
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,188
    I think most of these events are organized in garages, like across the road from my house. Could be any night of the week, but usually not a weekend. A bunch of MAGATS gather afterhours to drink, howl, swear, yell and sing karaoke to horrible country music before they drive home drunk with the plan to take back their country summarized on the cardboard scraps from the case of Schlitz they slammed. Stupid and dangerous all-in-one. 
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,552
    tbergs said:
    I think most of these events are organized in garages, like across the road from my house. Could be any night of the week, but usually not a weekend. A bunch of MAGATS gather afterhours to drink, howl, swear, yell and sing karaoke to horrible country music before they drive home drunk with the plan to take back their country summarized on the cardboard scraps from the case of Schlitz they slammed. Stupid and dangerous all-in-one. 

:rofl:
    If this is real, I apologize for laughing at your great misfortune.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,293
    edited January 2021
    Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,758
    vaggar99 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Good question.  It doesn't seem particularly centralized to me.  But I am sure there are a few ring leaders.  Let's just hope they are not in high levels of law enforcement.  My suspicion is that some are.
    CONSPIRACY THEORY!!! All speculation must be shot down immediately or this will never end!!!!!  We only deal in facts on this page. Facts, I say!!!
    mcgruff10 said:
    One of the "organizers"

Ali Alexander, a convicted felon and grifter, was recruited by Roger Stone, the originator of Stop the Steal in 2016. 

Stop the Steal's massive disinformation campaign connected to Roger Stone

By Rob KuzniaCurt DevineNelli Black and Drew Griffin, CNN

Updated 11:08 AM ET, Sat November 14, 2020

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/13/business/stop-the-steal-disinformation-campaign-invs/index.html
    Alexander's Stop the Steal webpage has  been taken down, but here is his personal page. For the low, low price of $25 a month, you can join his regular conference calls. The upgraded membership includes a chance to particpate in his polls.  According to the information here, we have Ali Alexander to thank for Trump's Kanye connection -- it was a ruse to attract black voters.

Track the GOP's adoption of Ali Alexander's June 2020 "Plan for Trump"

https://founders.alialexander.org/members/posts/35196-track-the-gop-s-adoption-of-ali-alexander-s-june-2020-plan-for-trump
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,552
    edited January 2021
    vaggar99 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    CONSPIRACY THEORY!!! All speculation must be shot down immediately or this will never end!!!!!  We only deal in facts on this page. Facts, I say!!!
    That seems to me like a personal attack on poor Vagger.  Hopefully it doesn't hurt his feelings.  Disagreeing with some people can do that.  
    :lol:   it seems you may be one of the five people here who like to work with facts and not random people's unsubstantiated feelings about what they think may have happened which will cause everyone to be very, very, frightened.  

Puuuuhhhhlllease.

See, I am not going to cry and call foul when you try to mock me.   I laugh at it.

We are allowed to disagree here - especially when one person is speculating and one person is working with facts.  

Just because one person has paper thin skin doesn't mean everyone else should not decry conspiracy theories.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    vaggar99 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    That seems to me like a personal attack on poor Vagger.  Hopefully it doesn't hurt his feelings.  Disagreeing with some people can do that.  
    :lol:   it seems you may be one of the five people here who like to work with facts and not random people's unsubstantiated feelings about what they think may have happened which will cause everyone to be very, very, frightened.  

Puuuuhhhhlllease.

See, I am not going to cry and call foul when you try to mock me.   I laugh at it.

We are allowed to disagree here - especially when one person is speculating and one person is working with facts.  

Just because one person has paper thin skin doesn't mean everyone else should not decry conspiracy theories.

I SAW PEARL JAM
    Question:  Think back to high school world and/or American history when WW2 was discussed and specifically, Nazism.  Did you ever for a second think that the same thing would happen in the United States in your life time?  And more so, did you ever think that people in your own class might be own of them?  Not me.  But, all that has changed.  I would say I grew amongst the Nazis and never had  a clue.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,648
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    vaggar99 said:
    Question:  Think back to high school world and/or American history when WW2 was discussed and specifically, Nazism.  Did you ever for a second think that the same thing would happen in the United States in your life time?  And more so, did you ever think that people in your own class might be own of them?  Not me.  But, all that has changed.  I would say I grew amongst the Nazis and never had  a clue.
    It’s precisely why he left Germany in 1938, when he was 16. 

Man, I wish he were still alive to hear his thoughts. 
     US Capitol Building Riot: Justice Dept. Pursues at Least 150 Suspects https://nyti.ms/3i0U5II

Justice Dept. Pursues at Least 150 Suspects in Capitol Riot

Federal law enforcement officials have embarked on a nationwide manhunt as they grapple with the fallout from the government’s failure to protect the Capitol.

Federal agents and support staff have established a nationwide dragnet to identify members of the mob that stormed the Capitol on Wednesday.Credit...Erin Schaff/The New York Times
    • Jan. 11, 2021

WASHINGTON — The Justice Department and the F.B.I. have embarked on a nationwide manhunt to track down scores of people who attacked the Capitol last week, according to law enforcement officials, as they grapple with the fallout from the widespread government failure to protect the building.

Investigators are pursuing more than 150 suspects for prosecution, a total that is almost certain to grow, an official said. Analysts are also scouring intelligence to identify any role that domestic terrorist organizations or foreign adversaries may have played in radicalizing Americans who were among the rioters, according to a law enforcement official briefed on the investigations.

Some indication had emerged that at least some assailants initiated a more organized attack, Representative Tim Ryan, Democrat of Ohio and the chairman of the House subcommittee that has oversight of the Capitol Police, told reporters on Monday. Initial reports on Wednesday afternoon about pipe bombs planted at the nearby Republican and Democratic Party headquarters drew some law enforcement attention away from the breach that was unfolding at the Capitol, Mr. Ryan said, suggesting a “level of coordination.”

Two Capitol Police officers have also been suspended, according to Mr. Ryan: one who was seen in photographs with rioters and another who walked among the crowds wearing a hat emblazoned with President Trump’s “Make America Great Again” campaign slogan. The Capitol Police have also opened internal inquiries into about 10 to 15 officers’ actions during the violence, though the nature of the inquiries were unclear, and Mr. Ryan cautioned that he had seen no sign that any officers helped coordinate the attack.

In the sprawling Justice Department criminal inquiry run out of the F.B.I.’s Washington field office — the country’s second largest, with about 1,600 employees — agents and support staff have established a nationwide dragnet to identify members of the mob. At least five people died during the attack and in its immediate aftermath, including a police officer. In particular, the F.B.I. is working closely with the Capitol Police and the Metropolitan Police Department in Washington to track down those whose attacked law enforcement.

The F.B.I. has moved quickly to ease some bureaucratic hurdles to making arrests, and it has received more than 70,000 photographic and video tips after asking for the public’s help in identifying suspects. Agents were also scrubbing airline passenger manifests and video of air travelers to and from Washington to find potential suspects.

But some prosecutors have expressed concerns that the Justice Department is creating a bottleneck by funneling prosecutions through Washington. The lack of public appearances by top national security officials in the Trump administration has also prompted criticism that the federal government is failing to provide the reassurance, information or leadership that it typically would in a time of national crisis.

The Justice Department has already gathered enough information to charge and arrest more than a dozen people, some of whom have emerged as faces of the attack, such as a man carrying Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s lectern and another photographed with his feet up on a desk in her office.

It was not clear whether agents planned to make more arrests on Monday.

The striking images from the attack demonstrated the spectrum of people involved in the violence. “Stop the steal” signs were prominent — visual evidence that Mr. Trump’s false claims of a fraudulent election had resonated with a broad coalition of conservatives, evangelicals, conspiracy theorists, militia groups, anti-Communist activists, neo-Nazis and other white supremacists.

“These are all diverse people with different ideologies, but the commonality is they all follow the leadership of Donald Trump,” said Gregory W. Ehrie, a former senior F.B.I. agent who was the bureau’s domestic terrorism czar from 2013 to 2015 and is now the vice president of law enforcement and analysis at the Anti-Defamation League.

“We are seeing this extremist group form in real time, and it is led by Donald Trump,” he added. “These are tough comparisons to make for all of us, but he stood in front of a crowd and told them to go to the Capitol, and everyone listened.”

Mr. Ehrie said the F.B.I. would have to figure out how to strengthen its domestic terrorism operations while balancing concerns about First Amendment protections for hate speech.

“There will definitely be a readjustment,” he said. “I am glad I am not sitting in that seat anymore.”

Some images of the riot showed what seemed to be an organized effort among people in matching military gear moving as a unit through the crowds and into the Capitol, which has raised fears that some of those involved acted as part of a well-coordinated effort to storm the building.

The Justice Department manhunt is highly unusual and complex. Like the investigation into the Boston Marathon bombing in 2013, the F.B.I. is relying heavily on video from cellphones and security cameras to identify the perpetrators.

But while other notorious, deadly attacks on the country like the Oklahoma City bombing or the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11, 2001, were conducted by foreign adversaries or involved a few people acting in secret, the riot on Wednesday was carried out by hundreds of American citizens who were encouraged by the president of the United States and in many cases openly boasted about their actions on social media.

Investigators are also dealing with the fallout from the government failure to protect one of the most secure buildings in Washington while Vice President Mike Pence and hundreds of members of Congress convened, jeopardizing the line of leadership succession, which includes Mr. Pence and congressional leaders like Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senator Charles E. Grassley, Republican of Iowa and the president pro tempore of the Senate.

After the mob stormed the building, damaged property, stole computer equipment and other files and attacked officers, an overwhelmed Capitol Police — the force designated to protect the complex — allowed all but about a dozen to leave peacefully. That failure to detain the suspects created a major obstacle for federal investigators, who must now fan out and look for them across the country.

Despite the high-profile nature of the attack and the complexity of the investigation, no top federal law enforcement or homeland security official has gone in front of television cameras or answered questions, working in near silence as Congress and the White House debate how best to respond to the role the president played. Democrats released a draft article of impeachment on Monday, accusing Mr. Trump of inciting the insurrection. A top prosecutor in Washington last week tamped down the prospect that the Justice Department would investigate him.

The silence is a stark contrast to the Trump administration’s response last year to protests against police violence and racism. Former Attorney General William P. Barr instructed all 93 U.S. attorneys’ offices to aggressively pursue charges — including sedition — against rioters at protests, to the surprise of some prosecutors.

The acting attorney general, Jeffrey A. Rosen, has instead informed federal prosecutors around the nation, in a memo from his top deputy, that all investigations should be run out of the U.S. attorney’s office in Washington and the main Justice Department there, which would take the lead on all prosecutions. Any efforts to charge suspects in their home states needed to be run by officials in Washington first for approval.

The directive has confounded prosecutors nationwide, according to four who spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak with reporters. While the assailants broke the law in Washington, some of them might have organized in their home states and traveled to take part in the attack.

And though the siege last week took place in Washington, giving the U.S. attorney there jurisdiction, prosecutors elsewhere said they believed they could help the department more speedily bring assailants to justice.

Prosecutors had also been given no clear reason for the restrained response from headquarters, they said.

F.B.I. leaders have taken a more aggressive internal posture, issuing three memos on Saturday to agents in the field about the bureau’s efforts to find and prosecute all of the people involved in the attack on the Capitol.

One memo reminded agents of three federal statutes that they can apply in filing criminal complaints: one against seditious conspiracy that is rarely used and more commonly invoked violations of laws against federal rioting and civil disorder. Another email intended to ensure that all agents approached the investigation in a uniform manner included two attachments: a list of questions to ask all potential suspects and boilerplate language that could be used to establish probable cause in their court documents.

The investigation also touches on the extent to which law enforcement and military personnel aided the rioters.

Capt. Emily Rainey, an Army officer who told The Associated Press that she had transported more than 100 people to Washington for the Trump rally, is being investigated by the Army for any connection to the riots, according to a military official. Ms. Rainey had resigned from her post in October but was not set to leave until this spring.

Multiple law enforcement officers in New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, Texas and Washington State have been suspended or referred for internal review for attending the rally.

Investigators said that much was still unknown about the attack and might remain elusive in the days leading up to the inauguration.

Jennifer Steinhauer and Helene Cooper contributed reporting from Washington.

Katie Benner covers the Justice Department. She was part of a team that won a Pulitzer Prize in 2018 for public service for reporting on workplace sexual harassment issues. @ktbenner

Adam Goldman reports on the F.B.I. from Washington and is a two-time Pulitzer Prize winner. @adamgoldmanNYT

• PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,062
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,601
    Its disturbing that these people would happily bash my brains in just because I dont love Donald Trump.
  • MayDay10 said:
    Its disturbing that these people would happily bash my brains in just because I dont love Donald Trump.
    Or bash a cop because Blue Lives Matter too yo!
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,353
    MayDay10 said:
    With an American Flag. 
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,601
    Well, its extra disheartening because there are police officers and military members who would also enjoy bashing my brains in just because I don't love Donald Trump.  Law enforcement and military fits very nicely within the Trumper profile.  We have a really bog problem on our hands.  
  • cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,390
    tbergs said:
    Found out recently that proud boys meet in a small diner in the community next to me. And the diner keeps getting cited for ignoring county/state covid restrictions. 
    I complained on a local forum that advertising these meetings are condoning and amplifying violence and was suspended for 30 days. Guess I’m surrounded by racists.  
  • MayDay10 said:
    With an American Flag. 
    Though I don't wish ill on anyone, had it been a Blue Lives Matter flag, oh that would have been rich.
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,353
    MayDay10 said:
    With an American Flag. 
    Though I don't wish ill on anyone, had it been a Blue Lives Matter flag, oh that would have been rich.
    I feel like it was 'rich' enough in and of itself. 
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,432
    MayDay10 said:
    Well, its extra disheartening because there are police officers and military members who would also enjoy bashing my brains in just because I don't love Donald Trump.  Law enforcement and military fits very nicely within the Trumper profile.  We have a really bog problem on our hands.  
    While you are correct that many military and veterans have bought into Trump, there a lot of us who haven't. My wife and I both served in the Navy, and we still have contact with many of the people we served with. Many of us have been speaking out against Trump and the people who back him.  
This discussion has been closed.