Options

When the vaccine arrives

Comments

• Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Zod said:
    Zod said:
    Personally, I plan on getting the vaccine.  I have a pretty good immune system. Last thing that took me out of work for multiple days was the pig flu in '09.    I am somewhat concerned that the odd time I get a cold, it goes for my lungs (most likely because I have mild asthma).   Covid19 seems like it could be rough with a moderate percentage of people developing longer lasting issue.   I'd prefer to take my chances with the vaccine.

It will be interesting, if people en masse don't take it, and it we don't get herd immunity.  If a solution is available, should people be able to9 kbenefits, or expecting the government to pay covid19 related bills.    At some point once the vaccine is readily available, that people not getting it should be left to their own devices (once it's because of choice and not limited supply).
    Why?  And how do you think they would enforce that?
    Because there's a solution to problem and people are opting not to take it?  If a solution is readily available why should people who took the vaccine have to pay employment benefits/health care costs for those who refused.

Pretty easy to implement.  Once everyone who wants a vaccine gets a vaccine you simply turn off the covid spending taps.

LMFAO.  You think its that simple.  But how are you gonna know who took the vaccine?  Medical records are confidential???  Not everyone who takes the vaccine will be protected.  What special benefits.  Cerb has ended.  Most people going forward will need to access EI.  You gonna deny someone who paid into  EI, their benefits.  The Canada Recovery Sickness benefits end in 1 year...

Good luck...

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    Zod said:
    Zod said:
    Personally, I plan on getting the vaccine.  I have a pretty good immune system. Last thing that took me out of work for multiple days was the pig flu in '09.    I am somewhat concerned that the odd time I get a cold, it goes for my lungs (most likely because I have mild asthma).   Covid19 seems like it could be rough with a moderate percentage of people developing longer lasting issue.   I'd prefer to take my chances with the vaccine.

It will be interesting, if people en masse don't take it, and it we don't get herd immunity.  If a solution is available, should people be able to9 kbenefits, or expecting the government to pay covid19 related bills.    At some point once the vaccine is readily available, that people not getting it should be left to their own devices (once it's because of choice and not limited supply).
    Because there's a solution to problem and people are opting not to take it?  If a solution is readily available why should people who took the vaccine have to pay employment benefits/health care costs for those who refused.

Pretty easy to implement.  Once everyone who wants a vaccine gets a vaccine you simply turn off the covid spending taps.

except there is a segment of thr population who cant take vaccines due to medical conditions
    If your going to try and punish a person for not taking this vaccine where does end, deny a smoker treatment, an obese person...etc...both of those in most cases are preventable...

Besides, most of us in Canada will not see the vaccine for quite sometime...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,754
    dignin said:
    Zod said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I ll definitely get the vaccine but I sure as hell won’t be first.  

My feeling exactly. 

One of my sister's best friends is a fairly recently retired, highly respected doctor and he is advising us to not be the first to get the vaccine.  I'll wait until he thinks it is safe and then get right on it. I'll keep anyone posted who is interested.
    Well, therein lies the problem. If no one agrees to be “first”, what next? This is one of the issues that will drive down vaccination rates. 

Looked at one way, there is a similar argument of selfishness as with the mask debate, lockdowns, etc  - everyone wants someone else to make a sacrifice. 

I understand what you are saying and have thought of that.   But first of all, there are many people eager to be first, and for good reason- they are on the front lines.  And secondly, I'm an older, mostly retired adult with a compromised immune system, so my first line of defense is to stay home and stay away from people, so I'm not nearly in as great a need to receive the vaccine.  If I were where I was at earlier in my life- young, strong, healthy, working full time- I would be much more apt to vaccinate early.  It isn't about letting someone else make the sacrifice.

The older, immune compromised population is exactly the population being targeted for the first wave of vaccinations, as they are most at risk of bad outcomes (mortality or significant morbidity) if they get sick. The young, strong and healthy are probably going to be back of the line, except where they work in health care, are first responders, or are otherwise essential workers.

Vaccinating those most at risk first helps to alleviate much of the weight on the health system, particularly hospitals. 

That makes some sense.   But if the vaccine proves to have detrimental side-effects, will older, immune compromised people be more able to deal with them or less?  I'm not eager to find out.  Thus, I am being very careful about how I go about the task of living and will get the vaccine as soon as can reasonably (not 100% sure, just reasonably) believe it is safe.

I think people's definition of older varies.   Because it's a long ass gap in time between retirement and dying of old age.   65 isn't that old, when lots of people live past 90.. etc..

I assumed they'd give it to 80+ year old's first.  The ones that have a fairly high percentage chance of dying from it.   Then maybe 70+ after that?   At that point isn't it either "the virus is going to get you" or the "vaccine might get you"?.   I'm half that age, and I'm still leaning towards the I'd rather deal with a vaccine then getting the thing.
    No, it should go to health care workers, LTC workers, and education workers first...-
    Zod is correct that it should go first to those at highest risk of death or serious illness. That’s the most efficient way to reduce both mortality and morbidity and the burden on the health care system, including hospitalizations and ICU stays. 

Health care workers, first responders and other essential workers are up there next. 
    ..Ahhh, the selfish generation. Everyone else can take the risk (which is virtually zero), but not me. So brave.
    You really oughta quit day drinking...

My body. My choice.  There is no such thing as zero risks with any pharmaceutical...
    Trudeau warns COVID-19 vaccine will come later to Canada than other countries | National Post

Besides, there is no vaccine coming to Canada in January.

Probably if I lived in the republic of Alberts i might have re-think it...
    https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/canada-still-on-track-for-january-2021-vaccine-rollout-despite-domestic-dose-disadvantage-feds-1.5203890

Where are you getting your news we are not getting the vaccine in January? 
  • Options
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,148
    I was kind of curious about that.  I was wondering how the big US pharma companies would dole out the the vaccines first. It is a hard sell to export them, if there's big domestic demand.  I assumed maybe we wouldn't get them as a soon as the US, but being a first world country, we'd probably get them before a great deal of the planet.

As for manufacturing them.  Those comments make sense.  If we don't have vaccine producing capability, that doesn't seem like an easy thing to spin up.  Even if we did, would foreign pharma companies who spent billions making the vaccines, share the recipe with us?
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,760
    all of the vaccines that involve us companies are joint ventures with european companies.

if euro capacity is there would assume canada wpuld source from all companies involved
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    India is producing the oxford/astrazenica.it has massive production facilities 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    Zod said:
    I was kind of curious about that.  I was wondering how the big US pharma companies would dole out the the vaccines first. It is a hard sell to export them, if there's big domestic demand.  I assumed maybe we wouldn't get them as a soon as the US, but being a first world country, we'd probably get them before a great deal of the planet.

As for manufacturing them.  Those comments make sense.  If we don't have vaccine producing capability, that doesn't seem like an easy thing to spin up.  Even if we did, would foreign pharma companies who spent billions making the vaccines, share the recipe with us?
    Licensing agreements
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832
    Zod said:
    Zod said:

this sounds like the conservative argument against paying health care costs. 

honestly, if we're going down that road, i shouldn't have to pay for cancer treatment for smokers, or heart surgery for McTubbies, etc. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    canada has a population of 30 million. we will get 6 million doses by march (of a 2 dose vaccine)

that's one tenth of the population. 

*locks down for another 6 months*

trudeau is blaming harper for privatizing vaccine manufacturing in canada, which was then sold off. well, you've been in office 5 years dude. sounds like trump's "the cupboards were bare" nonsense. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    canada has a population of 30 million. we will get 6 million doses by march (of a 2 dose vaccine)

trudeau is blaming harper for privatizing vaccine manufacturing in canada, which was then sold off. well, you've been in office 5 years dude. sounds like trump's "the cupboards were bare" nonsense. 
    Im sure you will get our  one?
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options

AstraZeneca manufacturing error raises questions about vaccine study results

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/astrazeneca-oxford-vaccine-error-trial-results-1.5816852

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options

canada has ordered 7 different ones, i believe one of them is from the UK, but we aren't going to get it until at least all who want it can get it in the UK. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

canada has ordered 7 different ones, i believe one of them is from the UK, but we aren't going to get it until at least all who want it can get it in the UK. 
    Its  being  released at the  same time to everyone i believe. Uk and whoever is getting it 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/astrazeneca-oxford-vaccine-error-trial-results-1.5816852

I think it was a happy mistake finding half dose information.  I cant see this will maje much difference  to the efficacy 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options

I think it was a happy mistake finding half dose information.  I cant see this will maje much difference  to the efficacy 
    You are probably right.  I really have no clue.  By the time I have the option for the vaccine we should know more.  I’d be surprised if any Canadians are being vaccinated by mid January or later...

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    SCO looking to feds for realistic vaccine timeline for First Nations | The Star

I'd have no problem vaccinating 1st nations people 1st... It's the least we can do for them.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    The fact that this is even a debatable topic says everything you need to know about why we are where we are at. These vaccines have been injected in hundreds of thousands of people already with virtually zero side effects. Also vaccine side effects don’t randomly show up years later, that’s a fallacy that some will use to ague their anti vaccine stance. Tragically and I guess in a sick way thankfully we are likely approaching 100 million cases. CDC thinks we’ve captured 1/8 of cases which based on most other studies I’ve read is probably fairly accurate. By the time a vaccine gets to most of us we’ll likely be approaching 40% herd immunity. So if even half of the other say 200 million who haven’t been infected took the vaccine we’d probably be in the 70% range. With the other 30% continuing to get naturally infected at a much smaller rate for the next few years. At that point it comes down to length of immunity, so far reinfections are rare and most scientists seem to believe immunity is at least a year. Bottom line, not taking the vaccine just delays any sort of recovery, either by months or potentially years. I hope by the middle of next year we can start sorting new infections by vaccine or non vaccine. That might be the only way some people get a clue, when 90% of new infections are from the unvaccinated maybe the message will hit home. Especially if people are still dying at a decent clip.
    06/22/95, 11/04/95, 11/15/97, 07/16/98, 10/30/99, 10/30/00, 10/31/00, 10/20/01, 10/21/01, 12/08/02, 06/01/03, 06/06/03, 10/25/03, 10/26/03, 09/28/04, 03/18/05, 09/01/05, 07/15/06, 07/16/06, 07/18/06, 07/22/06, 07/23/06, 10/21/06, 10/22/06, 08/28/09, 09/21/09, 09/22/09, 05/20/10, 05/21/10, 10/24/10, 11/26/13, 12/06/13, 06/28/14, 10/26/14, 07/10/18, 08/10/18, 10/02/21, 
  • Options
    The fact that this is even a debatable topic says everything you need to know about why we are where we are at. These vaccines have been injected in hundreds of thousands of people already with virtually zero side effects. Also vaccine side effects don’t randomly show up years later, that’s a fallacy that some will use to ague their anti vaccine stance. Tragically and I guess in a sick way thankfully we are likely approaching 100 million cases. CDC thinks we’ve captured 1/8 of cases which based on most other studies I’ve read is probably fairly accurate. By the time a vaccine gets to most of us we’ll likely be approaching 40% herd immunity. So if even half of the other say 200 million who haven’t been infected took the vaccine we’d probably be in the 70% range. With the other 30% continuing to get naturally infected at a much smaller rate for the next few years. At that point it comes down to length of immunity, so far reinfections are rare and most scientists seem to believe immunity is at least a year. Bottom line, not taking the vaccine just delays any sort of recovery, either by months or potentially years. I hope by the middle of next year we can start sorting new infections by vaccine or non vaccine. That might be the only way some people get a clue, when 90% of new infections are from the unvaccinated maybe the message will hit home. Especially if people are still dying at a decent clip.
    Swedish surge in Covid cases dashes immunity hopes | World news | The Guardian

Covid-19 vaccines may have potentially unpleasant side effects (nbcnews.com)
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,620
    edited November 2020

Do you have sources to back up these statements?
    (And, I'm not an anti-vaxxxer, just want to learn more as I don't trust the greedy fuckers nor the politicians.  (Aren't they the same?))

Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options

(And, I'm not an anti-vaxxxer, just want to learn more as I don't trust the greedy fuckers nor the politicians.  (Aren't they the same?))

I’m not going to claim to be an expert, I’ve just researched and listened to a lot of scientist over the past 9 months, probably not unlike most of you. Bottom line is vaccine side effects are very likely to be minor. Pretty much as an above mentioned NBC article talks about. As for herd immunity we are not close, but at 150k plus confirmed cases a day we are likely steamrolling towards it faster than Sweden. Which is hard to fathom based on the differences in our responses. If anyone uses twitter and is looking for a good scientific based information source check out Dr. Faheem Younus. There’s a lot of doctors reporting from the front lines but I think he’s maybe the best. You can find stuff from him and other doctors all over the internet. Even Fauci who has made some honest mistakes is a reliable source for common sense measures, there’s a ton of his interviews all over the place. I try to stay away from the mainstream media in most cases as they are manipulating data to serve their own narrative. Just do an internet search for unbiased COVID news and seek out the ones you think are the most legitimate. I have a bunch bookmarked but you can decide for yourself where the legit facts can be found. Watching CNN or god forbid Fox News is not going to get you anything but sensationalism. They are going to scare you with rare reinfections cases, or the handful of children who have died. Or in the case of Fox News try and tell you it’s a hoax and everything is fine. I’m exaggerating but you get my point. 

Dr. Faheem Younus
    https://mobile.twitter.com/faheemyounus?lang=en

Also an extensive vaccine side effect run down from the CDC 
    https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vac-gen/side-effects.htm
    06/22/95, 11/04/95, 11/15/97, 07/16/98, 10/30/99, 10/30/00, 10/31/00, 10/20/01, 10/21/01, 12/08/02, 06/01/03, 06/06/03, 10/25/03, 10/26/03, 09/28/04, 03/18/05, 09/01/05, 07/15/06, 07/16/06, 07/18/06, 07/22/06, 07/23/06, 10/21/06, 10/22/06, 08/28/09, 09/21/09, 09/22/09, 05/20/10, 05/21/10, 10/24/10, 11/26/13, 12/06/13, 06/28/14, 10/26/14, 07/10/18, 08/10/18, 10/02/21, 
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited November 2020

I’m not going to claim to be an expert, I’ve just researched and listened to a lot of scientist over the past 9 months, probably not unlike most of you. Bottom line is vaccine side effects are very likely to be minor. Pretty much as an above mentioned NBC article talks about. As for herd immunity we are not close, but at 150k plus confirmed cases a day we are likely steamrolling towards it faster than Sweden. Which is hard to fathom based on the differences in our responses. If anyone uses twitter and is looking for a good scientific based information source check out Dr. Faheem Younus. There’s a lot of doctors reporting from the front lines but I think he’s maybe the best. You can find stuff from him and other doctors all over the internet. Even Fauci who has made some honest mistakes is a reliable source for common sense measures, there’s a ton of his interviews all over the place. I try to stay away from the mainstream media in most cases as they are manipulating data to serve their own narrative. Just do an internet search for unbiased COVID news and seek out the ones you think are the most legitimate. I have a bunch bookmarked but you can decide for yourself where the legit facts can be found. Watching CNN or god forbid Fox News is not going to get you anything but sensationalism. They are going to scare you with rare reinfections cases, or the handful of children who have died. Or in the case of Fox News try and tell you it’s a hoax and everything is fine. I’m exaggerating but you get my point. 

Dr. Faheem Younus

Something doesn’t sit well for me with that line...”handful of children”?  I sure hope no one creating vaccines throws out lines like that.  “Meh, it’s only going to effect a handful of children”.  Some impacts should never be minimized (in my opinion).
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:

Dr. Faheem Younus

Something doesn’t sit well for me with that line...”handful of children”?  I sure hope no one creating vaccines throws out lines like that.  “Meh, it’s only going to effect a handful of children”.  Some impacts should never be minimized (in my opinion).
    More than a “handful of children” are going to be permanently scarred for life if this thing drags on for another year plus. My son hasn’t seen most of his his friends or been to school since March. Overall he’s doing well but I see issues like childhood obesity escalating out of control. Not to mention the psychological damage to so many, including teens who are missing out on the defining moments of their life. In regards to vaccines children would be the last to receive it and I would certainly make sure there was no adverse side effects before letting my son get injected. There are 7 plus billion people on this planet, most every action we do on a daily basis could have some negative outcome. It’s why we have seat belts, the FAA, MRI scanning machines, GFI outlets, etc, etc. We are fragile beings with a limited life cycle, dangers lurk around every corner. But we’ve managed to reduce most to a manageable level through science and innovation. Vaccines have literally saved millions of lives over the past century and yet somehow this is a real debate in this country. 
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    PJPOWER said:

Dr. Faheem Younus

More than a “handful of children” are going to be permanently scarred for life if this thing drags on for another year plus. My son hasn’t seen most of his his friends or been to school since March. Overall he’s doing well but I see issues like childhood obesity escalating out of control. Not to mention the psychological damage to so many, including teens who are missing out on the defining moments of their life. In regards to vaccines children would be the last to receive it and I would certainly make sure there was no adverse side effects before letting my son get injected. There are 7 plus billion people on this planet, most every action we do on a daily basis could have some negative outcome. It’s why we have seat belts, the FAA, MRI scanning machines, GFI outlets, etc, etc. We are fragile beings with a limited life cycle, dangers lurk around every corner. But we’ve managed to reduce most to a manageable level through science and innovation. Vaccines have literally saved millions of lives over the past century and yet somehow this is a real debate in this country. 
    You hit the nail about my concerns regarding children as well.  One thing I’ve been concerned with is emotional development for the infants that are in daycare.  Facial expressions are so important in infant emotional development and they are not getting that with daycare workers wearing masks.  The longer this stuff drags on, the more emotional dev delays and probably are bound to become apparent.  So many ripples that will last for generations...
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

Dr. Faheem Younus

You hit the nail about my concerns regarding children as well.  One thing I’ve been concerned with is emotional development for the infants that are in daycare.  Facial expressions are so important in infant emotional development and they are not getting that with daycare workers wearing masks.  The longer this stuff drags on, the more emotional dev delays and probably are bound to become apparent.  So many ripples that will last for generations...
    interesting you say this. My wife works in child care and she's very concerned about this as well. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,533
    edited November 2020
    Anyone entering the USA? Should they be allowed in our country without being vaccinated?

I can't really speak for the USA, but I would definitely hope that Canada would require that.
    I don't think forced vaccinations will be a thing (though I wouldn't be opposed to it - I actually believe that other vaccinations for children should be mandatory, and yes, I know how controversial that view is!). I do think there should and likely will be repercussions for those who choose not to get it though, beyond being kept from traveling to some international destinations, and yes, I think businesses should be able to refuse entry to those who haven't got it. No business should be forced into being a venue for transmission among those who aren't vaccinated.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    PJ_Soul said:
    Anyone entering the USA? Should they be allowed in our country without being vaccinated?

I can't really speak for the USA, but I would definitely hope that Canada would require that.
    I don't think forced vaccinations will be a thing (though I wouldn't be opposed to it - I actually believe that other vaccinations for children should be mandatory, and yes, I know how controversial that view is!). I do think there should and likely will be repercussions for those who choose not to get it though, beyond being kept from traveling to some international destinations, and yes, I think businesses should be able to refuse entry to those who haven't got it. No business should be forced into being a venue for transmission among those who aren't vaccinated.
    But how would one know who did or didn’t receive it?

(sorry, and likely a far stretch, but my mind went to the old yellow stars forced to be worn by Jews in the 30s and 40s)