Options

Purple ten

Comments

• Options
    FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,166
    There is no difference in sound between colored vinyl and black vinyl (Which is actually colored as well). Its the types of colored vinyl where sound issues can occur as well as plants that have poor QC where records sound band. Also the source and the cut of the vinyl affect the sound as well.

All PVC pellets are the same. 

Are you saying that splatters, marbles and some of those crazy things sometimes have issues. Ive got barely any in my collection so never really had problems but have heard of cases, more often tri color.  Long story short I got the new Springsteen on black and white splatter, sleeve came badly damaged so I dont know if I will just return and pick up a grey copy. Just thought grey was a bit boring.
  • Options
    DrdealDrdeal Posts: 693
    kenk said:
    Please remember that there is still a good chance that this will be readily available at target stores on the release date. And even online again from them. If that is the case then the copies on Ebay will all drop. So just wait it out 10 days and see what happens. This record people are paying $75-$100 now could possibly drop 50-75%.
    Based on the number of Limited Grey Nirvana Nevermind LPs at Target you are highly likely to be correct. There will be more on the 20th, in store and on the secondary market. Wait a bit. You already have the music. The space on the shelf or  the turntable can wait a little longer for the purple version.
    How prevalent was the Grey Nevermind? How many copies did each Target store receive? Did all targets get them?

Thanks,   Andrew
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,984
    Pretty prevalent. I think its still in stock. It was a month ago. Great cut too. Its the same as the ORG Nevermind which is regarded as probably the best or second best cut of the album. 

• Options
    edited November 2020
    FR181798 said:
    There is no difference in sound between colored vinyl and black vinyl (Which is actually colored as well). Its the types of colored vinyl where sound issues can occur as well as plants that have poor QC where records sound band. Also the source and the cut of the vinyl affect the sound as well.

Are you saying that splatters, marbles and some of those crazy things sometimes have issues. Ive got barely any in my collection so never really had problems but have heard of cases, more often tri color.  Long story short I got the new Springsteen on black and white splatter, sleeve came badly damaged so I dont know if I will just return and pick up a grey copy. Just thought grey was a bit boring.
    Yeah, but generally those aren't bad. Its usually the splits, and Tri/quad pinwheel pressings that do. They have to slice up and assemble the biscuit by hand in order for it to press. That can create issues. 

But ultimately, the quality of a pressing comes down to where the record is pressed. 

• Options
    SHZASHZA St. Louis, MO USA Posts: 3,250
    Pretty prevalent. I think its still in stock. It was a month ago. Great cut too. Its the same as the ORG Nevermind which is regarded as probably the best or second best cut of the album. 

Still in stock. I included it as part of the buy-2-get-1 deal
  • Options
    kenkkenk Posts: 210
    Purple is back up in the shop and it seems like you can actually check out this time.
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,952
    kenk said:
    Purple is back up in the shop and it seems like you can actually check out this time.
    I just saw that. I purchased. I don't have Ten at all on vinyl, so figured why not.

• Options
    Gone now.
  • Options
    JedJed New York City Posts: 1,138
    Available again
  • Options
    Jed said:
    Available again
    Probably all the people cancelling after being able to get at Target.
  • Options
    Save WhoSave Who Posts: 294
    GlowGirl said:
    kenk said:
    I just saw that. I purchased. I don't have Ten at all on vinyl, so figured why not.

I’m in the same boat, don’t have it yet so why not get the purple one.  
  • Options
    Still sitting on my two 1st pressings of TEN that I purchased in the fall of 1991.
    10-26-91 Cleveland
    4-2-92
    7-29-92
    5-4-95 Hovercraft / Cleveland
    8-26-98
    4-25-03
    5-20-06
    8-21-08 E.V. Chicago
    10-31-09 Philadelphia
    5-09-10 Cleveland
    5-10-10 Buffalo
    6-26-11 E.V. Detroit
    10-11-13 Pittsburgh
    10-12-13 Buffalo
    10-29-13 Charlottesville
    4-18-16 Hampton
    8-22-16 Chicago

• Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,520
    I am content with my plain black copy. I am not a collector, so I buy vinyl strictly to listen to. Seems less stressful after reading all of this. 
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,952
    FR181798 said:
    Jed said:
    Available again
    Probably all the people cancelling after being able to get at Target.
    That's what I figured. I randomly checked this morning and was able to make the purchase through Ten Club.

• Options
    Finally after refreshing over a thousand times the last two days (at least it feels like that), I just purchased a copy through 10C :-)

Thanks for sharing here that copies became available again!
  • Options
    DrdealDrdeal Posts: 693
    Sold out again.
  • Options
    Drdeal said:
    Sold out again.
    Keep trying. Refreshed multiple times during 10 minutes, and then it finally appeared!
  • Options
    johanypma said:
    Drdeal said:
    Sold out again.
    Keep trying. Refreshed multiple times during 10 minutes, and then it finally appeared!
    Been doing the same for 15 mins, can't waste anymore time. Will wait to check Target.com again on the 20th.
  • Options
    ryph raph said:
    Still sitting on my two 1st pressings of TEN that I purchased in the fall of 1991.
    You get the early Greece/Spain/Brazil pressings? UK was 92 and The US one somehow didn't come out till 94.
  • Options
    i did not enjoy willie's purple indica
  • Options
    SD186683 said:
    Just arrived home to find this beautiful piece of vinyl has already sold out..... Please pj get some more out so that we can all indulge. 
    In Australia, we get the emails at around 0400 and literally zero chance at purchasing anything remotely limited release......

Can't even get one from Target. Now I have to go to eBay and pay stupid prices if I want to add this to my collection. So pissed off.

Anyone get any word from Ten Club on availability in Australia in future?
    I'm lucky I get up at 0500.. Saw the email and ordered straight away!

Usually I miss out on 10C exclusives because the emails come earlier... This one happened to be when I woke up. 

But you are right... We Aussies generally miss out on the majority of the items. 
  • Options

To add on this; the black in vinyl is a carbon additive which has anti-static properties for PVC. This anti-static propery is to reduce dust build up.

This may have been semi-helpful back in the day where people neglected and hardly took care of their records, but nowadays people obsess over cleaning their records (i.e. not touching the grooves, keeping the vinyl in paper sleeves when not in use, having plastic sleeves to house the album itself, periodic deep cleaning) to the point that the carbon additive really doesn't factor into the long term quality of a record anymore.

But if you treat your albums like garbage to the extent that the anti-static carbon is the only thing keeping it clean, your black vinyl will sound better in the long run compared to colored.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    While we are on the subject of Ten reissue, my EU 2017 sleeve was significantly darker than my US nineties press. It had lost a lot of the detail from the photo.
  • Options
    guypjfreakguypjfreak Posts: 2,281
    FR181798 said:
    While we are on the subject of Ten reissue, my EU 2017 sleeve was significantly darker than my US nineties press. It had lost a lot of the detail from the photo.
    Lazy pressing lol 
  • Options
    joeembletonjoeembleton Glasgow Posts: 408

PVC pellet comes in an array of different quality, I should know as this is my business. It is the reason earlier Japanese pressings are more sought after because they used a higher quality bead. 
  • Options
    Like more than virgin and recycled?

• Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,854

• Options

I was one of the lucky ones to grab this when the Ten Club  email letter was released last Tuesday (10th) and I am surprised it was quickly sold out. This reminds me when I missed out on the first run of MTV unplugged LP and I was very fortunate to have gotten a copy on eBay with a reasonable price.  I hope the eBay prices are reasonable for this Purple LP.

• Options
    I love the coloured vinyls 
     Something magical about them from when i was a kid.  
    If i had the chance
     [I do not]
    I would get this looks great. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    densandensan Posts: 563
    Loujoe said:

I like this. I saw the unicorn already. Kidding. Still want a purple copy. 
    Be different & make a difference. Decency & kindness @ a grassroots level works.