mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,631
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mickeyrat said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    or maybe he knows it will never pass the senate? or might not even get out of the house?
    That’s quite the cop out in my opinion.  They push gun control measures that they know will fail, so I don’t think that’s the story.  I think he is just one of those old farts that believes “marijuana is bad”.  He sure used it on his platform to get elected, though.  Hell, he could even enact some executive orders to decriminalize it at the very least…The marijuana prohibition has led to countless black incarcerations and deaths and you would think a non-racist president would push against it a little bit, especially in the current environment with police racism in the spotlight.  It is a huge “systematic racism” related policy still being heavily utilized in a large portion of the country to put black people in jail.
    No surprise, though, he is known for supporting some pretty racist policies throughout his career in politics.

I know. Obama was so fucking racist.
    ??? Where did that even come from?  Did Obama support the racist crime bills in the 90s that led to black people getting arrested at a vastly higher rate than non-black people?  Biden’s political career extends a lot further back than Obama’s.  
    the point is, at least how I'm taking it, is that if you call Biden a racist for not pushing for legislation to decriminalize weed, then you'd also have to call Obama a racist for the same reason. 
    I have a hard time calling a black person a racist, but if he recognized the policy as being rooted in racism and ignored it, then he is at least dismissive of systematic racism.
    Been doing some reading on this.  Most recently "How to be an anti-racist".  Solid book.  I think it details out just exactly how anyone can be a racist.  And sometimes it's worse than others, cause as you said, it's about intent.  And from all the different reading on the subject, it woudl seem we really need to de-stigmatize "racist".  Cause it doesn't mean the overt, in your face, hate people of other colors racism that we seem to make it. And that makes it tougher for us to talk about it.

Anyhow - black people can certainly be and are racist.  I don't believe Joe or Obama are racists in the old sense of the word.  But some of their beliefs and actions are certainly not anti-racist...so thus they must be racist.
    So it's binary? If you're not doing or believe something that's specifically and categorically anti-racist, then it's racist?  

If I'm watching hockey and they're not focused on being anti- racist,  then I'm participating in a racist activity?
    Ah good question and I’m still reading and trying to figure it out. But I would tend to understand your push and no not completely binary. More so when it has to do with decision making/legislation/policy etc. Not something that has no action like watching a sport. 

It’s an interesting read.

you may be interested in this...

columbus native, harvard undergrad, grad student and member of osu basketball team....

O$U.... yeah I actually know of this kid. Huge character flaw ;)
    Yeah he didn't have a first rate moral compass like Bob Huggins.
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,605
    Anyone see the stock market today? Riden with Biden!
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mickeyrat said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    or maybe he knows it will never pass the senate? or might not even get out of the house?
    That’s quite the cop out in my opinion.  They push gun control measures that they know will fail, so I don’t think that’s the story.  I think he is just one of those old farts that believes “marijuana is bad”.  He sure used it on his platform to get elected, though.  Hell, he could even enact some executive orders to decriminalize it at the very least…The marijuana prohibition has led to countless black incarcerations and deaths and you would think a non-racist president would push against it a little bit, especially in the current environment with police racism in the spotlight.  It is a huge “systematic racism” related policy still being heavily utilized in a large portion of the country to put black people in jail.
    No surprise, though, he is known for supporting some pretty racist policies throughout his career in politics.

??? Where did that even come from?  Did Obama support the racist crime bills in the 90s that led to black people getting arrested at a vastly higher rate than non-black people?  Biden’s political career extends a lot further back than Obama’s.  
    the point is, at least how I'm taking it, is that if you call Biden a racist for not pushing for legislation to decriminalize weed, then you'd also have to call Obama a racist for the same reason. 
    I have a hard time calling a black person a racist, but if he recognized the policy as being rooted in racism and ignored it, then he is at least dismissive of systematic racism.
    Been doing some reading on this.  Most recently "How to be an anti-racist".  Solid book.  I think it details out just exactly how anyone can be a racist.  And sometimes it's worse than others, cause as you said, it's about intent.  And from all the different reading on the subject, it woudl seem we really need to de-stigmatize "racist".  Cause it doesn't mean the overt, in your face, hate people of other colors racism that we seem to make it. And that makes it tougher for us to talk about it.

Anyhow - black people can certainly be and are racist.  I don't believe Joe or Obama are racists in the old sense of the word.  But some of their beliefs and actions are certainly not anti-racist...so thus they must be racist.
    So it's binary? If you're not doing or believe something that's specifically and categorically anti-racist, then it's racist?  

If I'm watching hockey and they're not focused on being anti- racist,  then I'm participating in a racist activity?
    Ah good question and I’m still reading and trying to figure it out. But I would tend to understand your push and no not completely binary. More so when it has to do with decision making/legislation/policy etc. Not something that has no action like watching a sport. 

Okay I can generally buy into the concept of legislation and public policy.  It already exists today.  The most powerful law that covers consumers in terms of credit is the Equal Opportunity Credit Act (Regulation B).  One of the core tenants is that any credit policy or procedure needs to be evaluated for disparate impact to protected classes.  The intent of the policy is irrelevant, it's the actual impact.  Many of the alphabet regulatory laws in place today are now using this standard (implemented by the CFPB). 

But the reality is that it's about socioeconomic standing, which tends to affect minorities disproportionately.  Just because a law will negatively affect some Black people doesn't make it racist.  As a contra-example, if the capital gains taxes for people making over $1MM per year goes to the top marginal rate (as proposed), it will affect some minorities, wealthy minorities.  I think I read about 10% of the top 1% are minorities.  Of course that pales to the population a whole, but the bar cannot be "does this hurt any minorities".  
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,108
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mickeyrat said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

Okay I can generally buy into the concept of legislation and public policy.  It already exists today.  The most powerful law that covers consumers in terms of credit is the Equal Opportunity Credit Act (Regulation B).  One of the core tenants is that any credit policy or procedure needs to be evaluated for disparate impact to protected classes.  The intent of the policy is irrelevant, it's the actual impact.  Many of the alphabet regulatory laws in place today are now using this standard (implemented by the CFPB). 

But the reality is that it's about socioeconomic standing, which tends to affect minorities disproportionately.  Just because a law will negatively affect some Black people doesn't make it racist.  As a contra-example, if the capital gains taxes for people making over $1MM per year goes to the top marginal rate (as proposed), it will affect some minorities, wealthy minorities.  I think I read about 10% of the top 1% are minorities.  Of course that pales to the population a whole, but the bar cannot be "does this hurt any minorities".  
    I don’t think that is the bar at all. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mickeyrat said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

I don’t think that is the bar at all. 
    What is it then? 
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,718
    edited May 2021
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:

PJP, I'm not understanding how you see this as a racism issue.  True, a lot of us honky crackers smoke weed, but so do many Blacks, Hispanics, Asians, and Islanders.  Maybe even some Inuit (when they can get it.  Doesn't grow well in tundra.) 
    That’s what I’m saying.  Blacks and Hispanics have disproportionately been targeted and prosecuted for marijuana related crimes since prohibition was enacted.  If you don’t see that as “systematic racism”, then what is?  It even calls it a racist policy in the article you quoted me on.

Yeah, for sure.  Black and Hispanics are disproportionately targeted for everything.  We all know that and, yes, it is a symptom of systemic racism.  But that doesn't make Biden a racist.  There is not logic in saying that.  Systemic racism ≠ everybody is racist.
    But I guess it's the "woke" thing to say every white person is a racist to some degree.  But I don't buy that- no way.    Unless you say every person is a racist (regardless of their color).  And then it becomes a futile joke of sorts. 

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:

PJP, I'm not understanding how you see this as a racism issue.  True, a lot of us honky crackers smoke weed, but so do many Blacks, Hispanics, Asians, and Islanders.  Maybe even some Inuit (when they can get it.  Doesn't grow well in tundra.) 
    That’s what I’m saying.  Blacks and Hispanics have disproportionately been targeted and prosecuted for marijuana related crimes since prohibition was enacted.  If you don’t see that as “systematic racism”, then what is?  It even calls it a racist policy in the article you quoted me on.

Yeah, for sure.  Black and Hispanics are disproportionately targeted for everything.  We all know that and, yes, it is a symptom of systemic racism.  But that doesn't make Biden a racist.  There is not logic in saying that.  Systemic racism ≠ everybody is racist.
    But I guess it's the "woke" thing to say every white person is a racist to some degree.  But I don't buy that- no way.    Unless you say every person is a racist (regardless of their color).  And then it becomes a futile joke of sorts. 

1st nations people have been consuming hippie lettuce for thousands of years…it’s a racist policy keeping it illegal…but in the case of Biden it’s a non issue likely because big pharma and other pro illegal lined the crook pockets…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,779
    it began to kill competition for paper. Hearst was behind it. It was ruthless capitalism that ended up fucking with the poor.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited May 2021
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:

This has been hashed out pretty well over the last couple of pages, and no, I don’t believe Biden is a n-word spewing type of racist.  The better scale is how much of an “anti-racist” he is.  If he has opportunities to end racist policies and doesn’t or just ignores the issues, he is low on the anti-racism meter. That can be just as detrimental in that his actions actually matter, given his current profession.
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:

This has been hashed out pretty well over the last couple of pages, and no, I don’t believe Biden is a n-word spewing type of racist.  The better scale is how much of an “anti-racist” he is.  If he has opportunities to end racist policies and doesn’t or just ignores the issues, he is low on the anti-racism meter. That can be just as detrimental in that his actions actually matter, given his current profession.
    And how many people are sitting in jail on trumped up weed charges?..
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:

Too many…
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:

Biden brought Kamala Harris on board as his VP.  End of Biden.racism discussion.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    edited May 2021
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:

Biden brought Kamala Harris on board as his VP.  End of Biden.racism discussion.
    I love ya, Brian, but that’s about the equivalent of someone saying “but I have a black friend”.  If this argument worked, Trump must not be racist because he associated with black people, right?  He seems to be a buddy with Kanye West, right?  And good ol’ Joe may not be full blown “racist”, just very low on the anti-racism meter (which is just as harmful for a person in his position).  
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:

I love ya, Brian, but that’s about the equivalent of someone saying “but I have a black friend”.  If this argument worked, Trump must not be racist because he associated with black people, right?  He seems to be a buddy with Kanye West, right?  And he may not be full blown “racist”, just very low on the anti-racism meter.  

Lova ya back PJP.  :smile:

• Options
    This is nothing but a ridiculous troll argument.  
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:

I love ya, Brian, but that’s about the equivalent of someone saying “but I have a black friend”.  If this argument worked, Trump must not be racist because he associated with black people, right?  He seems to be a buddy with Kanye West, right?  And he may not be full blown “racist”, just very low on the anti-racism meter.  

Lova ya back PJP.  :smile:
    XOXOXOXO :)
  • Options
    "Buddies" with Kanye West? Bahahahahahahahahahhahahaha! POOTWH has no "buddies," no friends and no loved ones. Maybe Kanye will take up a Vegas like residency at Mar-I-Lieo for all those weddings. "Buddies." Bahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahaha!
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,824
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:

Lame-ass non-violent drug "crimes" is probably a huge chunk of the reason the US has a higher proportion of its population than anyone.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:

I love ya, Brian, but that’s about the equivalent of someone saying “but I have a black friend”.  If this argument worked, Trump must not be racist because he associated with black people, right?  He seems to be a buddy with Kanye West, right?  And good ol’ Joe may not be full blown “racist”, just very low on the anti-racism meter (which is just as harmful for a person in his position).  
    rich racists tend to give a pass to wealthy black men, like they aren't part of the "bad group". trump falls into this category. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,279
    We're still talking about this? haha
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    It's ridiculous
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    It's ridiculous
    Guy goes 4 years thinking Trump is not racist despite an abundance of facts suggesting otherwise, and now spends pages and pages talking about how Biden is. Laughably disingenuous. 

In more important news---this jobs report ain't too hot. But....good news for mortgage rates though, if anyone's interested.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    It's ridiculous
    Guy goes 4 years thinking Trump is not racist despite an abundance of facts suggesting otherwise, and now spends pages and pages talking about how Biden is. Laughably disingenuous. 

In more important news---this jobs report ain't too hot. But....good news for mortgage rates though, if anyone's interested.
    Never mind the 8 years President Biden served as VP to the first Black POTUS. Not a peep about his alleged racism, nor any criticism of POOTWH during his tenure, despite reams of examples. Next we'll hear how President Biden is cozying up to Little Rocket Man and exchanging love letters.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    It's ridiculous

Yes, that's it exactly.  It's completely disingenuous.  Now if Static was making the argument, I'd hear him out.  But he also wouldn't imply that the Crime Bill is more damaging than Jim Crow.  

I'm worried about inflation and you should be worried about the rates.  So cooling off a little on the jobs may not be such a terrible thing. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    It's ridiculous

Never mind the 8 years President Biden served as VP to the first Black POTUS. Not a peep about his alleged racism, nor any criticism of POOTWH during his tenure, despite reams of examples. Next we'll hear how President Biden is cozying up to Little Rocket Man and exchanging love letters.
    I see earlier he compared Trump being "friends" with Kanye West to Biden picking Kamala as his VP. Big ol' LOL to that. We currently have the most diverse cabinet in the history of the country. But, sure, that is equivalent to Trump rushing to pretend he is friends with any black celebrity he can find who expresses some level of support for him. Meanwhile he had like two black people in his cabinet. 

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    It's ridiculous

Refinanced and will be saving roughly $50k over the next 15 years.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    It's ridiculous

But birtherism wasn't racist.  He was just 'asking questions'. 
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    mrussel1 said:
    It's ridiculous

Refinanced and will be saving roughly $50k over the next 15 years.
    There you go. Good work
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    It's ridiculous

I see earlier he compared Trump being "friends" with Kanye West to Biden picking Kamala as his VP. Big ol' LOL to that. We currently have the most diverse cabinet in the history of the country. But, sure, that is equivalent to Trump rushing to pretend he is friends with any black celebrity he can find who expresses some level of support for him. Meanwhile he had like two black people in his cabinet. 

Its not just President Biden's cabinet, its the diversity of his Administration, key appointments and where and how they cut their teeth. Reminds me of the repub congress members' interns picture. Same-same.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,883
    What a going on with mortgage rates?  I got a 30 year at 3.5%.   
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......