Options

#46 President Joe Biden

Comments

• Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited May 2021
    Lol....republicans tried to label him a racist and a bunch of other things during the campaign. The majority of the country knows that is not who Biden is and that is why those attacks never stick to him with anyone who is not a member of the Trump base. 
    I am not a member of Trump’s base, but do believe that Biden has supported racist policies in the past and his “silence is violence” regarding current policies rooted in racism.  He may not be your run of the mill n-word spouting racist, but he does not seem to be too concerned about systematic racism either, so either he does not care about it or he is overtly racist by letting these policies continue over his personal political concerns.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,836
    PJPOWER said:
    Lol....republicans tried to label him a racist and a bunch of other things during the campaign. The majority of the country knows that is not who Biden is and that is why those attacks never stick to him with anyone who is not a member of the Trump base. 
    I am not a member of Trump’s base, but do believe that Biden has supported racist policies in the past and his “silence is violence” regarding current policies rooted in racism.  He may not be your run of the mill n-word spouting racist, but he does not seem to be too concerned about systematic racism either, so either he does not care about it or he is overtly racist by letting these policies continue over his personal political concerns.
    yes, he has. that was a long time ago and I believe he has proven himself changed. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,315
    PJPOWER said:
    Baloney. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    mickeyrat said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    or maybe he knows it will never pass the senate? or might not even get out of the house?
    That’s quite the cop out in my opinion.  They push gun control measures that they know will fail, so I don’t think that’s the story.  I think he is just one of those old farts that believes “marijuana is bad”.  He sure used it on his platform to get elected, though.  Hell, he could even enact some executive orders to decriminalize it at the very least…The marijuana prohibition has led to countless black incarcerations and deaths and you would think a non-racist president would push against it a little bit, especially in the current environment with police racism in the spotlight.  It is a huge “systematic racism” related policy still being heavily utilized in a large portion of the country to put black people in jail.
    No surprise, though, he is known for supporting some pretty racist policies throughout his career in politics.

I know. Obama was so fucking racist.
    ??? Where did that even come from?  Did Obama support the racist crime bills in the 90s that led to black people getting arrested at a vastly higher rate than non-black people?  Biden’s political career extends a lot further back than Obama’s.  
    the point is, at least how I'm taking it, is that if you call Biden a racist for not pushing for legislation to decriminalize weed, then you'd also have to call Obama a racist for the same reason. 
    I have a hard time calling a black person a racist, but if he recognized the policy as being rooted in racism and ignored it, then he is at least dismissive of systematic racism.
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    Baloney. 
    Salami…?
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    Baloney. 
    Salami…?
    Lol. He's not a racist. This is ridiculous. Nobody's picking up what you're putting down, corn pop. Beat it. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    PJPOWER said:
    yes, he has. that was a long time ago and I believe he has proven himself changed. 
    Proven himself changed how?  By fighting to end systematic racism?  Give me some examples over his many years in politics where he has worked to end racial discrimination.
    There are definitely examples to the contrary:

“In 2007 Biden showed his tolerance when he called Barack Obama an “articulate guy.” Biden was tolerant because every time that his role in the 1994 crime bill that devastated Black communities arose during the Democratic debates this year, he stomped his foot and declared that he was not a racist. Instead, he contended, he should be congratulated for working across the aisle—as if partnering with retrograde neo-confederates somehow proved him a racial progressive. Biden showed he was tolerant because he had the liberal audacity to school Black television personality Charlamagne tha God on the nature of Blackness. I thought it was bullshit. I was not interested in being tolerated that way. To my mind, there was Black blood on Biden’s hands”
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    Baloney. 
    Salami…?
    Lol. He's not a racist. This is ridiculous. Nobody's picking up what you're putting down, corn pop. Beat it. 
    Great retort…You beat it, frosted flake.  Maybe he isn’t obviously racist, but what has he done to end racist policies over his long political career?  He has done a lot to the contrary.
    Why should he be forgiven for supporting policies that got a lot of black people killed?  Because he beat Trump?  He still has a lot of blood of black people on his hands and still has a lot of ground to make up in my opinion.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,678
    Haha.  Well here's the dumb argument of the day.  The question is why can't any of these Trumpists make arguments that are intellectually honest? 
    The fact that Trump did nothing to change federal scheduling or the legalize it,  is not even on the radar of his racist history and policies.  If I had to name 10 things that make trump a racist,  not legalizing would be about 130.
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    Baloney. 
    Salami…?
    Great retort…You beat it, frosted flake.  Maybe he isn’t obviously racist, but what has he done to end racist policies over his long political career?  He has done a lot to the contrary.
    Why should he be forgiven for supporting policies that got a lot of black people killed?  Because he beat Trump?  He still has a lot of blood of black people on his hands and still has a lot of ground to make up in my opinion.
    No offense, but if you think Donald Trump is not a racist while Joe Biden is.....I cannot possibly have this conversation with you. 

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    Baloney. 
    Salami…?
    No offense, but if you think Donald Trump is not a racist while Joe Biden is.....I cannot possibly have this conversation with you. 

Well, you all firmly made a case that Trump is a racist, and his history furthers that argument, but Biden’s does too.
    One could say that Biden’s policies over the years have had a way more negative impact on black people as a whole if we want to look at his political history.  Is Biden not able to be judged on his own merits, though?  Does Trump being racist negate Biden’s history of backing racist policies?
    Maybe Biden is just an old white idiot and not straight up racist?
    Personally, I think that he is just dismissive of racism and would probably like to just ignore the topic all together (like most politicians).
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,884
    PJPOWER said:
    mickeyrat said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    or maybe he knows it will never pass the senate? or might not even get out of the house?
    That’s quite the cop out in my opinion.  They push gun control measures that they know will fail, so I don’t think that’s the story.  I think he is just one of those old farts that believes “marijuana is bad”.  He sure used it on his platform to get elected, though.  Hell, he could even enact some executive orders to decriminalize it at the very least…The marijuana prohibition has led to countless black incarcerations and deaths and you would think a non-racist president would push against it a little bit, especially in the current environment with police racism in the spotlight.  It is a huge “systematic racism” related policy still being heavily utilized in a large portion of the country to put black people in jail.
    No surprise, though, he is known for supporting some pretty racist policies throughout his career in politics.

??? Where did that even come from?  Did Obama support the racist crime bills in the 90s that led to black people getting arrested at a vastly higher rate than non-black people?  Biden’s political career extends a lot further back than Obama’s.  

obama had both houses. chose not to do anything on pot. therefore according to your post , that makes him racist.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    mickeyrat said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mickeyrat said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

obama had both houses. chose not to do anything on pot. therefore according to your post , that makes him racist.
    Possibly.  I mean, black people owned black slaves too.  

What would you call a black person that waives the stars and bars and voted for Trump?  Maybe Obama would be in the same category as them?
    You raise some good questions.  Why would Obama avoid ending a policy rooted in racism when he had the opportunity?  He also could have made some headway on gun control during that time, but didn’t…so who knows what was actually important to him?  Usually these questions are answered by “following the money”.  Money outweighs morals all of the time…
  • Options
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    mickeyrat said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mickeyrat said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

Possibly.  I mean, black people owned black slaves too.  

What would you call a black person that waives the stars and bars and voted for Trump?  Maybe Obama would be in the same category as them?
    You raise some good questions.  Why would Obama avoid ending a policy rooted in racism when he had the opportunity?  He also could have made some headway on gun control during that time, but didn’t…so who knows what was actually important to him?  Usually these questions are answered by “following the money”.  Money outweighs morals all of the time…
    I guess you choose to ignore the 2013 bill that died in the Senate that Obama passionately supported.  GTFO here with your trite bullshit.  https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/gun-control-overhaul-is-defeated-in-senate/2013/04/17/57eb028a-a77c-11e2-b029-8fb7e977ef71_story.html
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,656
    edited May 2021
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:

PJP, I'm not understanding how you see this as a racism issue.  True, a lot of us honky crackers smoke weed, but so do many Blacks, Hispanics, Asians, and Islanders.  Maybe even some Inuit (when they can get it.  Doesn't grow well in tundra.) 
    That’s what I’m saying.  Blacks and Hispanics gave disproportionately been targeted and prosecuted for marijuana related crimes since prohibition was enacted.  If you don’t see that as “systematic racism”, then what is?  It even calls it a racist policy in the article you quoted me on.
    we all know that. but it's a losing issue for Biden, at least at this point, as H2M pointed out. I don't see it happening any time soon at the federal level. plus, he's only 100 days into his term. did you really expect him to enact all his policies in the first 3 months and ride out the next 3 1/2 years and put a flag on his desk that says "mission accomplished"?
    I don’t read what H2M posts anymore, but are you saying that if he does not try to legalize it after 3.5 years, then he can be called a racist?  When is the appropriate time?
    So rich coming from a guy in Tejas and who admittedly voted for POOTWH the first time around. Also rich when you accuse President Biden of being racist when he served as the first black president's VP, has a woman of color serving as his VP and ignore the other 94 US Senators that voted "Yea" for the crime bill that has you faux outraged. Are they all racists as well, including your two fine senators (well, they are, more so than Biden will ever be)? Further, the crime bill you blame Biden for, or racist policy, was an omnibus crime bill that gave block grants to the states for law enforcement activities. Please show me where in that crime bill it says anything such as, "blacks, Hispanics, minorities in general, shall be investigated, arrested, charged or otherwise held to a higher legal level of accountability." So, is the crime bill "racist?" And are you racist if you voted "yea?"

Crime, in general, is a local and state enforcement initiative. How states interpret and enforce their laws are, well, a state right. Isn't that what you repubs are always screaming about? "States rights, give us our "states rights!" And there in lies the issue. The way the STATES interpret and enforce and adjudicate the law that was passed in 1994 by 95 US Senators is where the rubber hits the road. 26 of 50 states have legalized/decriminalized possession of marijuana. Here's some data for you to consider:

Federal, state, and local agencies share responsibility for enforcing the Nation's drug laws, although most arrests are made by state and local authorities. In 2007 the Federal Bureau of Investigation's Uniform Crime Reports (UCR) estimated that there were about 1,841,200 state and local arrests for drug abuse violations in the United States.

According to the UCR, drug abuse violations are defined as state and/or local offenses relating to the unlawful possession, sale, use, growing, manufacturing, and making of narcotic drugs including opium or cocaine and their derivatives, marijuana, synthetic narcotics, and dangerous nonnarcotic drugs such as barbiturates.

More than four-fifths of drug law violation arrests are for possession.

In 2007, according to the UCR, law enforcement agencies nationwide made an estimated 14 million arrests for all criminal infractions except traffic violations. Among the specific categories, the highest arrest counts were --

• 1.8 million for drug abuse violations;
    • approximately 1.4 million for driving under the influence;
    • 1.3 million for simple assaults; and
    • 1.2 million for larceny-thefts.

The Northeastern region had a higher proportion of sale/manufacturing drug arrests than the other regions.

Arrests for drug abuse violations, by geographic region, 2007

Percent of arrests for drug abuse violations

Type of violationsU.S. totalNortheast  Midwest South West 

Total*100.0%100.0%100.0%100.0%100.0%
    Sale/manufacture*17.5%22.5%18.3%17.1%15.0%
     Heroin or cocaine and their derivatives7.9 14.2 6.2 7.9 5.5 
     Marijuana5.3 5.7 7.7 4.6 4.7 
     Synthetic or manufactured drugs1.5 1.1 1.1 2.6 0.7 
     Other dangerous nonnarcotic drugs2.8 1.6 3.3 2.0 4.2 

Possession*82.5%77.5%81.7%82.9%85.0%
     Heroin or cocaine and their derivatives21.5 22.3 14.7 22.8 22.7 
     Marijuana42.1 44.2 53.1 47.9 29.6 
     Synthetic or manufactured drugs3.3 2.3 3.2 4.3 2.8 
     Other dangerous nonnarcotic drugs15.6 8.6 10.7 7.8 29.9 

*Detail may not sum to total because of rounding.
    Source: FBI, Uniform Crime Reports, Crime in the United States, annually.

Bureau of Justice Statistics Drugs and Crime Facts: Drug law violations and enforcement (bjs.gov)

Now, lets look at the breakdown of enforcement by state and by race:

A Tale of Two Countries: Racially Targeted Arrests in the Era of Marijuana Reform | American Civil Liberties Union (aclu.org)

ACLU Graphics & Visualizations

So, that "racist" crime bill wasn't racist at all. But the way states choose to enforce and adjudicate it is. The states and local municipalities could choose to re-prioritize their law enforcement strategies tomorrow, with or without President Biden. But lets lay it all at President Biden's feet as being racist because, well, there's nothing else sticking to him or to criticize him for. Desperado, you've got a chip on your shoulder.......................

Clean up your own back yard first, then we can talk:

Racist arrests in Tulia, Texas | American Civil Liberties Union (aclu.org)

Tulia, Texas - Wikipedia

Bad Times in Tulia, Texas (naacpldf.org)

Oh, and the Number 3 person in President Joe Biden's DOJ? A woman of color who appealed all of these cases and got those innocent people freed, some from very long prison terms. Your senior senator serving in the US Senate? The guy who granted a law enforcement officer of the year award to the crooked cop who lied on the stand and fabricated evidence to put these people in prison.

Maybe this is what has you faux outraged?

In addition to Garland, Biden selected Lisa Monaco as deputy attorney general. Monaco spent 15 years at the Department of Justice before Obama appointed her as assistant to the president for Homeland Security and Counterterrorism in 2013. Monaco became the first woman assistant attorney general for National Security in 2011 upon Senate confirmation. Following the 9/11 terrorism attacks, she worked with then FBI director Robert Mueller as chief of staff. She is currently a fellow and professor at New York University School of Law. 

If confirmed, Vanita Gupta, president and CEO of the Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights, a civil rights lobbying outfit, will serve as associate attorney general. Gupta served as the chief civil rights prosecutor under Obama from October 2014 to January 2017 as the acting assistant attorney general for the Civil Rights Division of the Justice Department.  During her tenure, she challenged North Carolina’s “bathroom bill,” which sought to ban transgender people from using the bathroom that matched their gender identity. Under Gupta, the Department of Justice and Department of Education issued joint guidance to schools about how to support transgender students and eliminate sex discrimination in shared facilities like bathrooms. 

Kristen Clarke, the president and executive director of Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law, has been nominated to be the assistant attorney general for civil rights. This week, Clarke’s organization sued The Proud Boys, a right-wing extremist group, for attacking and vandalizing the Metropolitan African Methodist Episcopal Church, a historic Black church, on December 12, 2020.

“Black churches and other religious institutions have a long and ugly history of being targeted by white supremacists in racist and violent attacks meant to intimidate and create fear,” Clarke said in a statement. “Our lawsuit aims to hold those who engage in such action accountable.” 

Biden picks Merrick Garland and three women to lead Justice Department (19thnews.org)

President Biden sure seems racist to me.

It's hard getting learned.
    Post edited by Halifax2TheMax on
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2019/05/23/joe-biden-2020-drug-war-policies-opioid-crisis-226933
    “The reality of Biden’s long career as a drug warrior, however, suggests something different: That he didn’t get “stuck with” writing drug legislation; he chose to make it a priority of his 36-year tenure in the Senate. In the War on Drugs, Biden was the “tough on crime” face of the Democratic Party, used his legislative skills to forge a bipartisan consensus for severe anti-drug legislation and specifically wrote or sponsored several laws that public health experts believe have, over the course of the opioid crisis, made it far deadlier than it has to be.”

Blood on his hands…I’m sure he can “white-wash” it off, though.
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,128
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mickeyrat said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

the point is, at least how I'm taking it, is that if you call Biden a racist for not pushing for legislation to decriminalize weed, then you'd also have to call Obama a racist for the same reason. 
    I have a hard time calling a black person a racist, but if he recognized the policy as being rooted in racism and ignored it, then he is at least dismissive of systematic racism.
    Been doing some reading on this.  Most recently "How to be an anti-racist".  Solid book.  I think it details out just exactly how anyone can be a racist.  And sometimes it's worse than others, cause as you said, it's about intent.  And from all the different reading on the subject, it woudl seem we really need to de-stigmatize "racist".  Cause it doesn't mean the overt, in your face, hate people of other colors racism that we seem to make it. And that makes it tougher for us to talk about it.

Anyhow - black people can certainly be and are racist.  I don't believe Joe or Obama are racists in the old sense of the word.  But some of their beliefs and actions are certainly not anti-racist...so thus they must be racist.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mickeyrat said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

Been doing some reading on this.  Most recently "How to be an anti-racist".  Solid book.  I think it details out just exactly how anyone can be a racist.  And sometimes it's worse than others, cause as you said, it's about intent.  And from all the different reading on the subject, it woudl seem we really need to de-stigmatize "racist".  Cause it doesn't mean the overt, in your face, hate people of other colors racism that we seem to make it. And that makes it tougher for us to talk about it.

Anyhow - black people can certainly be and are racist.  I don't believe Joe or Obama are racists in the old sense of the word.  But some of their beliefs and actions are certainly not anti-racist...so thus they must be racist.
    So it's binary? If you're not doing or believe something that's specifically and categorically anti-racist, then it's racist?  

If I'm watching hockey and they're not focused on being anti- racist,  then I'm participating in a racist activity?
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mickeyrat said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

Oh yeah, there are definitely different levels to the term.  I don’t think that Joe or Obama are anywhere near n-word spouting hillbilly type of racists, but maybe inconsiderate of how certain policies effect different races (racism by ignorance maybe?)
    Ironically, the latter is what does more harm.  The hillbilly type are easy to spot, but those that just turn a blind eye to it or create policies (like the “War on Drugs”) end up hurting the most people.  It’s time to recognize and focus on ending some of those archaic policies that disproportionately hurt the black communities.
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mickeyrat said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

Oh yeah, there are definitely different levels to the term.  I don’t think that Joe or Obama are anywhere near n-word spouting hillbilly type of racists, but maybe inconsiderate of how certain policies effect different races (racism by ignorance maybe?)
    Ironically, the latter is what does more harm.  The hillbilly type are easy to spot, but those that just turn a blind eye to it or create policies (like the “War on Drugs”) end up hurting the most people.  It’s time to recognize and focus on ending some of those archaic policies that disproportionately hurt the black communities.
    This is a crock of shit.  You're arguing that the crime bill of 94 was worse than the Jim Crow laws, Massive Resistance,  Dredd Scott and other overtly racist public policies.  That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.  Now I know you won't reply to me because you're a snowflake,  but others will see this for what it is.  
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,829
    edited May 2021
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mickeyrat said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

This is a crock of shit.  You're arguing that the crime bill of 94 was worse than the Jim Crow laws, Massive Resistance,  Dredd Scott and other overtly racist public policies.  That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.  Now I know you won't reply to me because you're a snowflake,  but others will see this for what it is.  
    I'm not seeing any argument in regards to Obama (though it's refreshing because I usually hear about how much he hates white people).

Biden and the crime bill is a bad look. I agree that he was never an n-word spewing racist. That said, he, and many members of both parties totally bought into the "tough on crime" trope without really seeing the impact and there was this "bi-partisan" bandwagon about being tough on crime. And there's a bit of a context factor. Marijuana was not nearly as accepted as it is now and it was good PR to come down on it. That said, my father (a career probation officer) immediately recognized it (along with the mandatory prison time for crack) as being for the purpose of locking blacks up. The Dems' hands are not clean on that one and neither are Joe's. Did Joe recognize it as racist? I dunno, but he should have. Joe was probably "not racist" but certainly "not anti-racist."

That all said, I believe that people do grow, though and I believe that Joe's evolved to the point that he's less likely to swing and miss in this way. I think he's a thoughtful guy that wants to help everyone in the country. Hold his feet to the fire? Sure. But don't come at me with "he's a racist and Trump isn't." I think any reasonable person knows that the more racist guy lost.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    crime bill was in response to explosion in crack and all the devestation that comes with that drug.

as with all things , context matters

• Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,829
    mickeyrat said:
    crime bill was in response to explosion in crack and all the devestation that comes with that drug.

The story of crack is hard to talk about without mentioning race, as well.  Yeah, it was new and alarming but we've never reacted that way to meth, etc. The reaction to crack was way out of proportion to that of other drugs and the racial impact was unmistakable.

https://www.app.com/in-depth/news/investigations/2019/12/02/crack-heroin-five-takeaways-our-investigation-black-race-arrests-inequities-sentencing/4302777002/
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:
    mickeyrat said:

The story of crack is hard to talk about without mentioning race, as well.  Yeah, it was new and alarming but we've never reacted that way to meth, etc. The reaction to crack was way out of proportion to that of other drugs and the racial impact was unmistakable.

https://www.app.com/in-depth/news/investigations/2019/12/02/crack-heroin-five-takeaways-our-investigation-black-race-arrests-inequities-sentencing/4302777002/

the black community was affected more readily than others unless you class the poor in general as one group.

the addictive nature, the money involved(addictive as well).

that depth of drug epidemic hasnt been seen before and politics/policy is largely reactionary....

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    OnWis97 said:
    mickeyrat said:

the black community was affected more readily than others unless you class the poor in general as one group.

the addictive nature, the money involved(addictive as well).

that depth of drug epidemic hasnt been seen before and politics/policy is largely reactionary....
    And many,  if not most black leaders in the country supported the crime bill.  It was not only bipartisan but it crossed racial lines.  The disparate impact was not expected 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mickeyrat said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

So it's binary? If you're not doing or believe something that's specifically and categorically anti-racist, then it's racist?  

If I'm watching hockey and they're not focused on being anti- racist,  then I'm participating in a racist activity?
    Ah good question and I’m still reading and trying to figure it out. But I would tend to understand your push and no not completely binary. More so when it has to do with decision making/legislation/policy etc. Not something that has no action like watching a sport. 

It’s an interesting read.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,656
    OnWis97 said:
    mickeyrat said:

There also hadn't been a drug that elicited and resulted into the level of gun violence that followed. I interned in DC in the summer of 1993 and there were 7 drug/gang shooting deaths per day for 7 days, some very close to the capitol complex. The WaPo headline of 49 Shot Dead in past 7 Days was wrenching. And it wasn't just in DC. The level of violence was unprecedented.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mickeyrat said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

Ah good question and I’m still reading and trying to figure it out. But I would tend to understand your push and no not completely binary. More so when it has to do with decision making/legislation/policy etc. Not something that has no action like watching a sport. 

you may be interested in this...

columbus native, harvard undergrad, grad student and member of osu basketball team....

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mickeyrat said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

you may be interested in this...

columbus native, harvard undergrad, grad student and member of osu basketball team....

O$U.... yeah I actually know of this kid. Huge character flaw ;)
    hippiemom = goodness