Comments

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain Posts: 31,121
    edited October 2023
    mace1229 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    So adults who agreed to take out a loan, went to the school of their choice, are getting free money now?
    What about families that went without so their kids wouldn't be in debt?
    What about those who chose a school for financials reasons to save money?
    What about those who joined the military to cover the cost?
    What about those who picked a different route so they wouldn't be in debt?
    When do they get their free money?
    mace1229 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    So adults who agreed to take out a loan, went to the school of their choice, are getting free money now?
    What about families that went without so their kids wouldn't be in debt?
    What about those who chose a school for financials reasons to save money?
    What about those who joined the military to cover the cost?
    What about those who picked a different route so they wouldn't be in debt?
    When do they get their free money?
    cry harder
    It seems like you are taking the opinion of where is my free money, what about me look what my parents did for me etc.  Rather than being happy that some people are getting help.  It also appears that you think this whole thing was brought on by people making frivolous decisions to go to expensive schools etc.  Most people who are taking out loans are economically disadvantaged and don't really have another choice.  Sure some people that come from higher economic backgrounds or don't need the help, but I have never understood the argument that because something wasn't 100% successful, we shouldn't do it.  What if not helping people do you think our taxes should go to, I mean it all comes down to giving away someone else's free money at the end of the day.
    My intention was not to ask where my free money is. Just on principal, I believe if you chose to borrow money, you pay it back. 
    Someone mentioned university of Alabama. I just looked it up, 58% of the students are out of state. That is insane to me. There is almost no effort to minimize the cost. Tuition is 12k for in state and 32k for out of state. More than half the students are choosing to pay triple the cost to attend that school. It’s not just low-income people trying to dig their way out of poverty. Adults are choosing to spend far more on education than they need to: there’s almost no effort to minimize the cost. Unless you’re in a wealthy family, private or out of state schools shouldn’t even be an option. And as I mentioned, most don’t even consider jr college for gen Ed credits either. 
    Asking what we should spend the money on instead implies we just have this surplus of money waiting to be spent. If that were the case, then great. But it’s not. Our spending is out of control. It’s liking realizing your budget is off and you spend $500 more a month than you make and your wife tells you to stop buying vinyl. Then you ask well what do you want me to spend that $500 on then? Don’t spend it.

But if we have to spend it, I’d be more for subsidizing medical costs. It’s insane. People get stuck with thousands of dollars in medical bills for something they didn’t want or ask for, but also need to better their lives.
    Spending what you don't have on college is unfortunately part of the deal.  Almost everyone has to do it.
    Spending beyond budget on needless items is what idiots do.
    This is known.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    mickeyrat said:
    static111 said:
    Reading through this it seems like a lot of people are taking the baseline that most people taking out loans are middle or upper middle class with stable families that can help them make educated decisions and support them financially, and that the loans are just a frivolous waste of money.  That really isn't what got us here.  Poor people and lower middle class can't afford college, community or otherwise without loans.  Sure you can opine about how easy it was to pay back in the late 80's or 90's when costs weren't insane and rent was cheap, and I don't mean on campus, that hasn't been the case for at least 20 years though.  The other thing that people seem to be failing to see is that a lot of people did not have financially literate parents especially those from lower incomes to help them make these decisions, and don't forget poor and lower income areas have worse schools with less money and have a hard time bringing in good educators let alone establishing any type of educational system other than teaching to the standardized test so they can continue to get their meagre funding.  So you get people in their teens and 20's that have no idea how money works being told you have to go to school to get ahead that can't afford it and are told that government loans are a very safe and affordable way to go, so they sign next to the x and expect that is how it will go. Then the loans balloon and balloon and never go away.

Now someone is actually trying to help these people and somehow this is a bad thing and is taking other peoples money, well whose money are they getting?.  Its fucking taxes that we all pay going to citizens that need help.  I would much rather it went to citizens that needed educational help even if some high income people get a little benefit, because no system is perfect.  It beats tax cuts for the rich, money to Ukraine, money to Israel, Trillions to the DoD that is largely unaccounted for, millions to the losing war on drugs etc.  How people can see anything bad about American tax dollars helping out American citizens that need a break is beyond me.  But hey maybe the money would be better spent on law and order and punishing people their whole lives for making uninformed decisions that the educational system and society never equipped them to make predicated on a lie pushed on them from elementary school that that was the best way to get ahead.

FINALLY. A serious post.

thank you for this. well thought out and spoken. full agreement here.
    fuck
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,871
    static111 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    static111 said:
    Reading through this it seems like a lot of people are taking the baseline that most people taking out loans are middle or upper middle class with stable families that can help them make educated decisions and support them financially, and that the loans are just a frivolous waste of money.  That really isn't what got us here.  Poor people and lower middle class can't afford college, community or otherwise without loans.  Sure you can opine about how easy it was to pay back in the late 80's or 90's when costs weren't insane and rent was cheap, and I don't mean on campus, that hasn't been the case for at least 20 years though.  The other thing that people seem to be failing to see is that a lot of people did not have financially literate parents especially those from lower incomes to help them make these decisions, and don't forget poor and lower income areas have worse schools with less money and have a hard time bringing in good educators let alone establishing any type of educational system other than teaching to the standardized test so they can continue to get their meagre funding.  So you get people in their teens and 20's that have no idea how money works being told you have to go to school to get ahead that can't afford it and are told that government loans are a very safe and affordable way to go, so they sign next to the x and expect that is how it will go. Then the loans balloon and balloon and never go away.

Now someone is actually trying to help these people and somehow this is a bad thing and is taking other peoples money, well whose money are they getting?.  Its fucking taxes that we all pay going to citizens that need help.  I would much rather it went to citizens that needed educational help even if some high income people get a little benefit, because no system is perfect.  It beats tax cuts for the rich, money to Ukraine, money to Israel, Trillions to the DoD that is largely unaccounted for, millions to the losing war on drugs etc.  How people can see anything bad about American tax dollars helping out American citizens that need a break is beyond me.  But hey maybe the money would be better spent on law and order and punishing people their whole lives for making uninformed decisions that the educational system and society never equipped them to make predicated on a lie pushed on them from elementary school that that was the best way to get ahead.

FINALLY. A serious post.

fuck

as you were...
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,536
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    You're all good in my book.  And other than the far left edge of my photo, most of your avatars are better than my dorky one, so kudos all! 

So still straying off topic for a second, what is the appeal of Ben Affleck?
    Nothing.  It was some stupid joke that Nick and I were having months ago.  He found a great picture of Ben and Matt Damon surfing like douches.  And I found a bath towel.  We just never changed them back.  I don't even know what the joke was at this point.  

Hey some of us like the good ole better than something or nothing videos.
    Wait until you see the shit from this past tour. 

Thanks for update. Glad this years tour was popular with so many fans willing to take to the friendly skies , unlike me still exhausted from all that driving to Ottawa and Camden last year. I seem to pick the car trips and avoid the planes. Looking forward to it!
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 11,077
    edited October 2023
    mickeyrat said:
    static111 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    static111 said:

FINALLY. A serious post.

fuck

as you were...

😂 
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    I made my thoughts on the current Israel Palestine situation pretty clear in the other thread, but thought I would say that Joe is doing pretty good from the US side, when it comes to coordinating with allies, in this untenable situation for a sleepy dementia criminal mastermind.  Looks like he will still get my vote even though Trump looks better in a swim suit.
    Scio me nihil scire

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,532
    static111 said:
    I made my thoughts on the current Israel Palestine situation pretty clear in the other thread, but thought I would say that Joe is doing pretty good from the US side, when it comes to coordinating with allies, in this untenable situation for a sleepy dementia criminal mastermind.  Looks like he will still get my vote even though Trump looks better in a swim suit.
    wait...you think tRump would look better in a swimsuit than Biden?
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
    static111 said:
    wait...you think tRump would look better in a swimsuit than Biden?
    Trump thinks so.  He has said it twice in recent months so it must be true
    Scio me nihil scire

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,532
    Biden should challenge him to a bike race
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Neither one should be on a bike.  One is obese and the other falls down all of the time.   
    :sigh:
    Please, no swimsuit competition 🙏
    The love he receives is the love that is saved

• brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,692
    We asked Biden and Trump who they thought would look better in a swimsuit.  Their reaction:
    The first Trump v Biden presidential debate was a hot mess
    You KNOW it's me baby.  Are you KIDDING?

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• The Brandon Crime Family remembers and cares. Do you?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CyTWaRMMeKy/?igshid=MWZjMTM2ODFkZg==

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©

edited October 2023
    JB16057 said:
    trump's administration made a similar mistake in 2018. 

Nether administration should have made the error, but spare us the right wing outrage over a mistake both admins have made (Unless you can show me where you were equally upset when trump did it, at which point I'll applaud your consistency & stfu- I won't hold my breath though). 
  • JB16057JB16057 Posts: 1,269
    JB16057 said:

Nether administration should have made the error, but spare us the right wing outrage over a mistake both admins have made (Unless you can show me where you were equally upset when trump did it, at which point I'll applaud your consistency & stfu- I won't hold my breath though). 
    None of you will admit that Trump did some positive things as President so my words are on par. 
    edited October 2023
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:

None of you will admit that Trump did some positive things as President so my words are on par. 
    He didn't fuck up operation warp speed, that was a positive. & his coup was unsuccessful, that was also a positive thing for the country. 

So there's two positive things I said about the fraud* who's facing 90+ criminal charges. 

Better? 

EDIT: *Fraud and rapist
    Post edited by Merkin Baller on
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,217
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:

Ok please post the positive’s you say he did back up your statement! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,404
    Operation Warp Speed was good.  Kudos to him. Too bad he fucked up that whole message 
    edited October 2023
    mrussel1 said:
    Operation Warp Speed was good.  Kudos to him. Too bad he fucked up that whole message 
    I should have said "he didn't fuck up operation warp speed - despite his best efforts"
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,217
    He did do a great toss of paper towels at the Puerto Rican hurricane folks 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....