*** President Joe Biden & Vice President Kamala Harris ***

Comments

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,250
    The whole medical field should of gotten the cover! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,599
    - most votes in history by a large margin
    - beat Trump which changes the next 4 years in a huge way
    - was dead in the water before SC primary and still pulled off the nomination and presidency

Any other year that should be enough for cover but this was a different year and I agree essential workers/vaccine makers (still to be determined if the vaccine will help) or something Corona related would have been more fitting. That said this maybe the best thing for the USA with the Corona virus having people at the top that will take it seriously. 
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    yes, I agree The Essential Worker would have been a way better choice
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,459
    I was shocked it wasn’t the essential workers.  Biden/Harris aren’t in office yet and I don’t think anyone was super excited about Biden.  Just disliked Trump.  I could have seen Harris as first female VP next year when inaugurated. 
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    I was shocked it wasn’t the essential workers.  Biden/Harris aren’t in office yet and I don’t think anyone was super excited about Biden.  Just disliked Trump.  I could have seen Harris as first female VP next year when inaugurated. 
    I mean, Time chose Adolf Hitler once, so...They are just trying to stay relevant...when they are far from it.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,292
    PJPOWER said:
    I mean, Time chose Adolf Hitler once, so...They are just trying to stay relevant...when they are far from it.

trump too....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    edited December 2020
    mickeyrat said:
    PJPOWER said:

trump too....
    Exactly, I’m not sure it’s an honor to be on the cover with such good company.  Closer to a sarcastic joke.
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,599
    edited December 2020
    PJPOWER said:
     "for better or for worse... has done the most to influence the events of the year"

Who would you have given it to over Adolf in 1938 keeping that description in mind? This is not the best person of the year award. I actually think Trump should have won it now. His debacle of a response on Covid along with his embarrassing sore loser tactics post election will go down in the record books as one of the worse years any president has ever had. 
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,818
    PJPOWER said:
    mickeyrat said:
    PJPOWER said:

trump too....
    Exactly, I’m not sure it’s an honor to be on the cover with such good company.  Closer to a sarcastic joke.

It isn't meant to be an honour, though people often take it that way. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,785
    static111 said:
    Such a yucky choice in the year of Corona. 
    I agree.  It’s weird that you can get on a magazine cover for just being better than trump.  In that case they could have put a mirror on the cover again.

TPOY was never about being better:

Person of the Year (called Man of the Year or Woman of the Year until 1999) is an annual issue of the United States news magazine and website Time that features and profiles a person, a group, an idea, or an object that "for better or for worse... has done the most to influence the events of the year".

"Together, they offered restoration and renewal in a single ticket. And America bought what they were selling: after the highest turnout in a century, they racked up 81 million votes and counting, the most in presidential history, topping Trump by some 7 million votes and flipping five battleground states."

Here's the actual article if you care to read it: https://time.com/person-of-the-year-2020-joe-biden-kamala-harris/ 
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
    PJPOWER said:
    mickeyrat said:
    PJPOWER said:

trump too....

Yeah, I’ve seen people all upset about it like Biden is getting an undeserved reward or something.  I would have probably picked someone else if it were my decision, but at the end of the day, it doesn’t matter one bit.
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mickeyrat said:
    PJPOWER said:

trump too....

Yeah, I’ve seen people all upset about it like Biden is getting an undeserved reward or something.  I would have probably picked someone else if it were my decision, but at the end of the day, it doesn’t matter one bit.
    if they were going to go with a politician, it should have been kamala alone. if not, it should have been the essential worker. 

if trump had won it could have been the "shy trump voter". 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

HAPPY ELECTORAL COLLEGE DAY
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,925
    PJNB said:
    PJPOWER said:
     "for better or for worse... has done the most to influence the events of the year"

Who would you have given it to over Adolf in 1938 keeping that description in mind? This is not the best person of the year award. I actually think Trump should have won it now. His debacle of a response on Covid along with his embarrassing sore loser tactics post election will go down in the record books as one of the worse years any president has ever had. 
    Thanks for sharing that. I didn’t know that was the description. I don’t know if I’ve ever read a single article from them. But just seeing the headlines of “person of the year” and the attention the media gives it, it does come across as a positive. 
    Also given that description, no way Biden/Harris deserve it. It’s still a joke in my mind, wait until they are in office and influenced something then consider them.
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,807
    That Hitler received it is the lesson in the idea that it's about influence; not greatness.  That said, you could argue that Donald Trump should have received the last four. Maybe five. But obviously, they're not going to do that; they're going to mix it up.

Ultimately, none of this matters...and that was true even before the year that we all won it (which was really, really dumb). But for me, I think it needs to be either about the front line medical people or racial justice.  Honestly, I'd probably pick George Floyd.  Why?  Because 1) there's not really one person to pick for the front line workers and b) I like the idea of being a person as opposed to a semi-defined group.  Would Floyd get the distinction through circumstances largely out of his control? Yes. But he's the closest thing the related events of 2020 have to a "face." 

That said, Biden is fine...even though he won an election because of his opponent.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
    OnWis97 said:
    That Hitler received it is the lesson in the idea that it's about influence; not greatness.  That said, you could argue that Donald Trump should have received the last four. Maybe five. But obviously, they're not going to do that; they're going to mix it up.

Ultimately, none of this matters...and that was true even before the year that we all won it (which was really, really dumb). But for me, I think it needs to be either about the front line medical people or racial justice.  Honestly, I'd probably pick George Floyd.  Why?  Because 1) there's not really one person to pick for the front line workers and b) I like the idea of being a person as opposed to a semi-defined group.  Would Floyd get the distinction through circumstances largely out of his control? Yes. But he's the closest thing the related events of 2020 have to a "face." 

That said, Biden is fine...even though he won an election because of his opponent.
    i think they could have had a bunch of uniforms with no one in them, a la The Invisible Man. In some ways, that would also work as a metaphor for how many of them are treated; faceless, nameless, thankless....
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,807
    OnWis97 said:

i think they could have had a bunch of uniforms with no one in them, a la The Invisible Man. In some ways, that would also work as a metaphor for how many of them are treated; faceless, nameless, thankless....
    Sure. I like the "name one person" but that's just my personal taste. There's no right or wrong.*

*Except the year they picked "YOU."  That was wrong.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    CM189191 said:
    static111 said:
    Such a yucky choice in the year of Corona. 
    I agree.  It’s weird that you can get on a magazine cover for just being better than trump.  In that case they could have put a mirror on the cover again.

TPOY was never about being better:

Person of the Year (called Man of the Year or Woman of the Year until 1999) is an annual issue of the United States news magazine and website Time that features and profiles a person, a group, an idea, or an object that "for better or for worse... has done the most to influence the events of the year".

"Together, they offered restoration and renewal in a single ticket. And America bought what they were selling: after the highest turnout in a century, they racked up 81 million votes and counting, the most in presidential history, topping Trump by some 7 million votes and flipping five battleground states."

Here's the actual article if you care to read it: https://time.com/person-of-the-year-2020-joe-biden-kamala-harris/ 
    The whole article reeks of manufactured consent.  The fact that they still outperformed Trump in spite of covid hamstringing their ability to campaign says more about how ready people were to get rid of Trump than anything having to do with america buying anything they were selling.  As some other posters said if it is really about who has influenced the events of the past year the most, Trump should have been cover boy 5 years running.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,110
    i like joe and kamala, but come on. the medical workers should have gotten this. 

the fact that trump was in the running is just funny to me.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Pete B for Transportation Secratary
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,931
    https://thehill.com/homenews/media/530637-tucker-carlson-doubles-down-on-mocking-illiterate-jill-biden?fbclid=IwAR1ml7DfsJ4b5WfuFSavdULt05fxLV5hL4QRmU7FJ_xKugU-9utXpPQKMb0

I don't understand these attacks at all....this would be equivalent to Maddow attacking Melania's intelligence four years ago.

I say equivalent in voice...not in intelligence or morals
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    https://thehill.com/homenews/media/530637-tucker-carlson-doubles-down-on-mocking-illiterate-jill-biden?fbclid=IwAR1ml7DfsJ4b5WfuFSavdULt05fxLV5hL4QRmU7FJ_xKugU-9utXpPQKMb0

I don't understand these attacks at all....this would be equivalent to Maddow attacking Melania's intelligence four years ago.

I say equivalent in voice...not in intelligence or morals
    these are the same idiots that have been saying for 4 years that Melania is the best first lady ever. a woman who conservatives normally would have called a tramp for posing nude. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

i just had a thought. 

i kind of do not think joe knows what he is getting in to. he is talking all of this "unite the country" stuff. does he not realize that reality number 1 is you cannot unify people that do not want to be unified? does he really think these trumpers are going to suddenly listen to him and be like "you know, you're right. i am on board with you 100%. fuck trump."

if he believes that, we are in a load of trouble. he is going to waste 2 years trying to unify something that cannot be unified. he should just proceed with his agenda and give people a reason to love or hate him.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

i just had a thought. 

i kind of do not think joe knows what he is getting in to. he is talking all of this "unite the country" stuff. does he not realize that reality number 1 is you cannot unify people that do not want to be unified? does he really think these trumpers are going to suddenly listen to him and be like "you know, you're right. i am on board with you 100%. fuck trump."

if he believes that, we are in a load of trouble. he is going to waste 2 years trying to unify something that cannot be unified. he should just proceed with his agenda and give people a reason to love or hate him.
    He won't get tRump's 40% but he'll get some GOP for sure.  Not sure...but some

I think he's doing the right thing but I know what you mean.  The right wing media will be relentless.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    i just had a thought. 

He won't get tRump's 40% but he'll get some GOP for sure.  Not sure...but some

I think he's doing the right thing but I know what you mean.  The right wing media will be relentless.
    they will be worse to joe than they were to obama. they have 40+ years of old shit to bring up and be offended by and pissed off about. 

they will probably blame biden for trickle down economics when that was their god reagan's legacy.

he is saying that as he has to say it. I doubt he'll keep up with it much after he's sworn in. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

It's funny to see the right freak out about Biden's campaign staffer calling the GOP "fuckers"....

It's funny to see the right freak out about Biden's campaign staffer calling the GOP "fuckers"....
    no kidding. unbelievable. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD