Options

Eddie on Howard Stern today!

Comments

• Options
    tish said:
    pjhawks said:
    funny part of the interview but I've always sung and thought it was 'Boxer or the Bag' as in punching or getting punched
    For me, those words evoke images of a lover wearing a wrestling mask or, yes, even a paper bag covering his head. Hehe
    "If you want another kind of love, I'll wear a mask for you"
    - Leonard Cohen
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,495
    Loved every minute of this 
  • Options
    I thought it was a solid interview and covered a lot of ground that I don't usually hear from Eddie interviews. That being said, I thought Stern rambled a bit and the part about Ed's childhood went on for waaaay too long. It almost felt like he was trying to provoke something 
    You obviously don’t listen to many Stern interviews or the show often. You might be taking it out of context.  Howard talks about the struggles of his own upbringing all the time (mostly for comedic value). He has been in therapy for a long time and is interested in others experiences and ways they cope. His audience loves his own honesty and (correctly) assumes his listeners would want the same honesty from the guests. 
    You are a PJ fan and know the entire story no doubt, therefore it wouldn’t be that interesting. It would be very fair to assume the majority of Stern listeners aren’t hardcore PJ fans therefore there were many interesting nuggets there for them. 
    No, I didn't know that, but my annoyance wasn't from the discussion but him continually asking the same question over and over trying to get a different response. He must've asked "wasn't that terrible?" or "how do you not hate everybody?" like 10 times and every time Ed said "no, I just kinda came to terms with it" or something along those lines. 

Otherwise I loved it 
    2006: Hartford
    2008: Camden 2, Hartford
    2010: Hartford
    2013: Wrigley, Worcester x2, Hartford
    2015: NYC
    2016: Philly 2, MSG x2, Boston 2, (TOTD Philly 2, MSG)
    2018: Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Boston x2
    2022: San Diego, Sacramento, Las Vegas
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,424
    This interview feels like 3 months ago now
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    H.ChinaskiH.Chinaski Brooklyn, NY Posts: 1,596
     This was a great distraction from the news yesterday. Loved hearing him talk so candidly about song writing. Great interview!
    Pine Knob, MI Lollapalooza 1992 / Soldier Field, Chicago 1995 / Savage Hall, Toledo 1996 / Palace, Detroit 1998 / Palace, Detroit 2000 / Pine Knob, MI 2003 / Showbox, Seattle 2004 / MSG, NYC 2008 / Key Arena I & II, Seattle 2009 / Eddie Vedder Beacon, NYC 2011 / Eddie Vedder Benaroya, Hall Seattle 2011 / Barclays, Brooklyn I &II 2013 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia II 2013 / Wuhlheide, Berlin, Germany 2014 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia 1 2016 / Madison Square Garden, NYC 2 2016 / Wrigley 2, Chicago 2016/ Fenway 1, Boston 2018/
  • Options
    I thought it was a solid interview and covered a lot of ground that I don't usually hear from Eddie interviews. That being said, I thought Stern rambled a bit and the part about Ed's childhood went on for waaaay too long. It almost felt like he was trying to provoke something 
    You obviously don’t listen to many Stern interviews or the show often. You might be taking it out of context.  Howard talks about the struggles of his own upbringing all the time (mostly for comedic value). He has been in therapy for a long time and is interested in others experiences and ways they cope. His audience loves his own honesty and (correctly) assumes his listeners would want the same honesty from the guests. 
    You are a PJ fan and know the entire story no doubt, therefore it wouldn’t be that interesting. It would be very fair to assume the majority of Stern listeners aren’t hardcore PJ fans therefore there were many interesting nuggets there for them. 
    No, I didn't know that, but my annoyance wasn't from the discussion but him continually asking the same question over and over trying to get a different response. He must've asked "wasn't that terrible?" or "how do you not hate everybody?" like 10 times and every time Ed said "no, I just kinda came to terms with it" or something along those lines. 

Otherwise I loved it 
    Yup Howard does that with everyone. The repeated questions are from a sense of disbelief. It may come across as schtick but in my opinion it is genuine. 
  • Options
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835
    stern seemed to really like to poke the drama bear a bit. i think he was pushing eddie to hate his mother every chance he got. that was a bit weird. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,301
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,374
    stern seemed to really like to poke the drama bear a bit. i think he was pushing eddie to hate his mother every chance he got. that was a bit weird. 
    Agreed. I found it off putting.
  • Options

Of course everyone's entitled to their opinions, and with that being said, Stern's considered a great interviewer not only by many of his listeners, but also by celebrities too... Eddie has wanted to do this show for some time and genuinely seemed to enjoy it.

IMO a good interviewer pushes for these kinds of conversations, the story about Eddie's father / stepfather is a really interesting aspect of his life.

I found Stern's interview w/ Eddie infinitely more interesting and entertaining than that joke of a podcast Bill Simmons did with him & Jeff. I was embarrassed for Simmons in that, and walked away from it wondering how he's as popular as he is.

• Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,801

Of course everyone's entitled to their opinions, and with that being said, Stern's considered a great interviewer not only by many of his listeners, but also by celebrities too... Eddie has wanted to do this show for some time and genuinely seemed to enjoy it.

IMO a good interviewer pushes for these kinds of conversations, the story about Eddie's father / stepfather is a really interesting aspect of his life.

I found Stern's interview w/ Eddie infinitely more interesting and entertaining than that joke of a podcast Bill Simmons did with him & Jeff. I was embarrassed for Simmons in that, and walked away from it wondering how he's as popular as he is.

Agreed 
  • Options
    brewdog123brewdog123 ATL Posts: 635
    those letterman clip(s) are fantastic
  • Options

i'm not disputing that stern is considered a great interviewer, but that doesn't meant he's never going to cross a line or make a mistake. a good interviewer doesn't lead the person they are interviewing by putting adjectives in their mouths. they ask the right questions and let the interviewee speak. he used the word "resentment" repeatedly when asking him if he had a good relationship with his mother, saying if it were him he'd be in therapy all his life if "his parents had done that to him", as well as saying "if it was me, I'd (feel this way)". it was antagonistic and leading. 

eddie did seem to take it in stride, for sure. and he seemed to mostly have a good time. it was just that personal stuff that came across as a bit intrusive. not the questions themselves, how they were presented. 

i haven't finished the interview yet, but sometimes i just wanted stern to shut the fuck up. ask your question and then follow up. stop interrupting and trying to make eddie say something he clearly doesn't want to say. i get it, dead air is the worst thing that can happen in radio, so a seasoned dj is taught to just keep blathering if the person you're speaking to doesn't pipe up. but eddie is very thoughtful and takes time to formulate the answer he wants to speak so it's properly conveyed. 

a lot of what eddie says is actually contained in what he doesn't say. you just have to let the man process. 

I know, I know, "that's what makes stern a great interviewer, that's his style". fine, it just rubbed me the wrong way in parts. but lots of it was fascinating, and kudos to stern for getting eddie to open up like that. it's details we likely have never heard before and will likely never hear again. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mvhessmvhess Posts: 19
    As a fan of Howard and a pj fan, I have been waiting sooo long for this.  I really never thought it would happen.  It was well worth the wait.  Awesome interview.  Anyone who doesn't have Sirius, you don't have to have a radio.  They have a streaming plan.  It's worth signing up for just this interview.  Then when you go to cancel, chances are they will offer you a year at about 5-6 dollars a month.  They have a pearl jam channel that plays a full live show every day. It's well worth it or you can just cancel.  When I get a downloaded of it, I will also surely offer it up to anyone who hasn't heard it because if you are a fan like I am, you wont want to miss it
  • Options
    mvhessmvhess Posts: 19
    edited November 2020
    demetrios said:
    I believe this is probably the longest Eddie Vedder interview on radio ... ever!!!

Loving it!  :)
    It's also the longest Howard interview, beating out the Hilary Clinton interview by about a half hour
    Post edited by mvhess on
  • Options

i'm not disputing that stern is considered a great interviewer, but that doesn't meant he's never going to cross a line or make a mistake. a good interviewer doesn't lead the person they are interviewing by putting adjectives in their mouths. they ask the right questions and let the interviewee speak. he used the word "resentment" repeatedly when asking him if he had a good relationship with his mother, saying if it were him he'd be in therapy all his life if "his parents had done that to him", as well as saying "if it was me, I'd (feel this way)". it was antagonistic and leading. 

eddie did seem to take it in stride, for sure. and he seemed to mostly have a good time. it was just that personal stuff that came across as a bit intrusive. not the questions themselves, how they were presented. 

i haven't finished the interview yet, but sometimes i just wanted stern to shut the fuck up. ask your question and then follow up. stop interrupting and trying to make eddie say something he clearly doesn't want to say. i get it, dead air is the worst thing that can happen in radio, so a seasoned dj is taught to just keep blathering if the person you're speaking to doesn't pipe up. but eddie is very thoughtful and takes time to formulate the answer he wants to speak so it's properly conveyed. 

a lot of what eddie says is actually contained in what he doesn't say. you just have to let the man process. 

I know, I know, "that's what makes stern a great interviewer, that's his style". fine, it just rubbed me the wrong way in parts. but lots of it was fascinating, and kudos to stern for getting eddie to open up like that. it's details we likely have never heard before and will likely never hear again. 

Yeah, agree to disagree I guess. I didn't find it to be that intrusive or antagonistic.  
  • Options
    childofthemoonchildofthemoon Detroit Posts: 60
    edited November 2020
    illegal download. Post deleted. Please see the Posting Guidelines

Post edited by Sea on
  • Options
    You know what I just realized. Adam Levine was going to play Elderly Woman the next time he was going to be on the show. And Eddie took that away from him. Why Eddie? Why?
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    One of the things that was great about the interview was Howard acknowledging Eddie as a great songwriter. Rarely see him get any credit.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747

Yep.  I think a lot of why Howard kept asking about resentment towards his mother, etc.. is from his own issues with his upbringing with his parents which doesn't even compare to to the shit that Eddie went through.  I really enjoyed the interview overall but felt like they barely scratched the surface.  They barely even covered PJ as a band  Hopefully he'll be back on again at some point.

And agree 100% about that Simmons pod a few months ago.  He portrays himself as some sort of PJ superfan but he was just straight up wrong about so many things.  I used to love Simmons back in the day before he became such a blowhard...can barely handle his podcasts anymore with the exception of gambling picks with cousin Sal.
  • Options
    CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,922
    The problem with people declaring themselves superfans is that they really don't match up to the real super fans. I remember an interview with the guy from the Strokes where he said something about seeing PJ in concert an embarrassing amount of times. And it was like 11 times haha.  

And I know you can still be a superfan without seeing the band live. I get it.  He's actually been on stage and played live with them so he has me beat lol
  • Options
    I'm a headstones superfan. however, there are people out there who have seen them 3 times the amount I have. I simply don't live in the area where they play the most, nor do I have the money to fly every time they have a show (some do). 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,922
    edited November 2020
    No, I totally get it.  An unfair statement by me. I just found it funny that he said it was an embarrassing amount of times. I was thinking it would be triple digits.  
  • Options
    No, I totally get it.  An unfair statement by me. I just found it funny that he said it was an embarrassing amount of times. I was thinking it would be triple digits.  
    when i tell non-pj fans that i've seen them 5 times, they all look at me like "why? you've seen them once, isn't that enough?". they don't know. I try to educate them. but they don't know. 

then i tell them how many times i've seen the headstones......then they slowly back away. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,257
    Finally heard the entire thing.  
    Wow!

So good!
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    A superfan interview would probably be boring to anyone else. Lol. 

“Uh yeah can you tell me why Deadman became more a preshow song?  Also wheres the fanclub single?”
  • Options
    Long RedLong Red NY Posts: 185

“Uh yeah can you tell me why Deadman became more a preshow song?  Also wheres the fanclub single?”
    THIS. The interview was one of the best mainstream interviews we could have ever hoped for. Can't we all just collectively enjoy someone for us?
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Long Red said:

THIS. The interview was one of the best mainstream interviews we could have ever hoped for. Can't we all just collectively enjoy someone for us?
    i thoroughly enjoyed it. if it's my post you're referring to, i was only talking about the one like 5 minute segment of the 3 hours that bugged me. didn't mean to be a downer. the rest was amazing. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com