Options

Miley Cyrus covering "Just Breathe"

Comments

• Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,861
    GlowGirl said:
    Last night I was with my 15 year old niece who is a Miley fan. She hadn't heard Just Breathe yet. I told her that I didn't care for the Miley version. I played her the Miley version first and she liked it. But then I played her the Pearl Jam version - and her first comment was - "Oh, Yeah. That one is much better." But I do agree with some of you above where fans of the Miley versions may look up the original versions of songs and get to experience something new. I used to do that as well when I was younger. I think I heard the Van Halen cover of "You Really Got Me" when I was really young. It led me to listen to the Kinks. 
    Acoustic-ified versions of songs are always a sure-fire way for a "hit". So hearing Mileys first, and then PJ I would think would give that result. If Miley would have done a slowed down version of Hail Hail, I think the result would be similiar too.

Just look at every videogame/movie trailer and their "take a hit song and do a slowed down moody version of it". 

If it wasn't clear in my original post - my niece liked the Pearl Jam version much better.

• Options
    GlowGirl said:
    GlowGirl said:
    Last night I was with my 15 year old niece who is a Miley fan. She hadn't heard Just Breathe yet. I told her that I didn't care for the Miley version. I played her the Miley version first and she liked it. But then I played her the Pearl Jam version - and her first comment was - "Oh, Yeah. That one is much better." But I do agree with some of you above where fans of the Miley versions may look up the original versions of songs and get to experience something new. I used to do that as well when I was younger. I think I heard the Van Halen cover of "You Really Got Me" when I was really young. It led me to listen to the Kinks. 
    Acoustic-ified versions of songs are always a sure-fire way for a "hit". So hearing Mileys first, and then PJ I would think would give that result. If Miley would have done a slowed down version of Hail Hail, I think the result would be similiar too.

Just look at every videogame/movie trailer and their "take a hit song and do a slowed down moody version of it". 

If it wasn't clear in my original post - my niece liked the Pearl Jam version much better.

Haha. I guess my post wasn't clear enough - because I understood that :D
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,836
    Good stuff! Props to Miley :clap:
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,861
    GlowGirl said:
    GlowGirl said:

Haha. I guess my post wasn't clear enough - because I understood that :D
    Misunderstandings all around :)

• Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,958
    CM189191 said:
    great...I've been impressed with her quite a few times.

My kids used to watch her in Hanna Montana all the fucking time
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,185
    it's such a great song. i have nothing but respect for miley. her's is not my fave version of the song.
    imo this version is the best. the nelson's made it better than the song's original version.

Hadn't heard this before now, thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    Long RedLong Red NY Posts: 185
    Miley Cyrus is fucking great. No joke. Would love to see her cover more PJ. She's a great rock singer. Look up her cover of Say Hello 2 Heaven and Zombie and Heart of Glass. Don't be judgy dicks. 
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    edited October 2020
    Edited -.  Basically, everyone whining about people saying they don't like the song, it isn't some crime to think this version is not good.
    It doesn't make anyone a "judgy dick" any more than liking it makes someone a "pandering puss."

Wtf is wrong with people.  

"Don't have an opinion about something, that is awful"

Look, if someone likes it great.  If they don't, great.
    We don't all have to like everything.

Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Edited -.  Basically, everyone whining about people saying they don't like the song, it isn't some crime to think this version is not good.
    It doesn't make anyone a "judgy dick" any more than liking it makes someone a "pandering puss."

Wtf is wrong with people.  

"Don't have an opinion about something, that is awful"

Look, if someone likes it great.  If they don't, great.
    We don't all have to like everything.

I gave it about 30 seconds.

Nope. 

Love,
    Judgy Dickess =)
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    :lol:

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    dr122931dr122931 Posts: 455
    I’d say this is about as good as Rosanne Barr singing the national anthem. 
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,354
    JW269453 said:
    it's such a great song. i have nothing but respect for miley. her's is not my fave version of the song.
    imo this version is the best. the nelson's made it better than the song's original version.

Hadn't heard this before now, thanks for sharing.
    And this is why artists have to keep themselves in the public. And find a way to keep and find new audiences. This version has been out 8 years and there are still people who don't know that this exists 
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Had high hopes based on her version of Say Hello 2 Heaven (which I thought was pretty great) but this one fell short for me.  Oh well.
    9/8/98 (NJ), 9/10/98 (NY), 8/23/00 (NY), 8/24/00 (NY), 8/25/00 (NY), 4/30/03 (NY), 7/8/03 (NY), 7/9/03 (NY), 5/12/06 (NY), 6/1/06 (NJ), 6/3/06 (NJ), 8/5/07 (IL), 6/22/08 (DC), 6/24/08 (NY), 6/25/08 (NY), 7/1/08 (NY), 10/4/09 (TX ), 10/30/09 (PA), 5/20/10 (NY), 5/21/10 (NY), 9/3/11 (WI), 9/4/11 (WI), 7/19/13 (IL), 10/18/13 (NY), 10/19/13 (NY), 10/3/14 (MO), 9/23/15 (NY), 9/26/15 (NY), 5/1/16 (NY), 5/2/16 (NY), 8/5/16 (MA), 8/22/16 (IL), 4/7/17 (NY), 6/18/18 (UK), 8/20/18 (IL), 9/2/18 (MA), 9/4/18 (MA), 9/18/21 (NJ), 9/26/21 (CA), 10/1/21 (CA), 10/2/21 (CA), 9/10/22 (NY), 9/11/22 (NY), 9/14/22 (NJ), 9/16/22 (TN), 9/22/22 (CO), 8/31/23 (MN), 9/2/23 (MN), 9/5/23 (IL), 9/7/23 (IL)
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,537
    I love the guitar music on this song.  If I pick up the acoustic I will more than likely play the first verse and chorus of the song.   Lyrics and vocal melody are what I am tired of.
  • Options
    Anyone know if the full song will get up on youtube?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Y.Y.Y.Y. Posts: 5
    So... when it was first announced that she would be covering a Pearl Jam song, my first reaction was: "please, please not Black or Alive, for the love of everything." So I guess I was a little bit encouraged by the song choice, and the fact that she's done some pretty solid covers recently. That said, I... don't like this.
    In other news, Miley recently announced that she's working on an album of Metallica covers. Honestly, my only question is: who is this for? I mean, it's not for Metallica fans, and I assume it's not for her existing fans. Genuine question, by the way.
  • Options
    Why is she doing so many covers.... because covers get a lot of views on youtube or what? She's doing as many covers as original songs...
  • Options
  • Options
    This The Cardigans-cover is FIRE!!! though. Really nice.

https://youtu.be/LJQVyvaQf-4
  • Options
    JV130312JV130312 STATE OF LOVE & TRUST Posts: 2,413
    Thought it was good.  Refreshing to hear something that’s not a karaoke version.  It’s what a cover should be.  Something similar but different.
    I Know All The Rules But The Rules Do Not Know Me.
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,064
    Y.Y. said:
    So... when it was first announced that she would be covering a Pearl Jam song, my first reaction was: "please, please not Black or Alive, for the love of everything." So I guess I was a little bit encouraged by the song choice, and the fact that she's done some pretty solid covers recently. That said, I... don't like this.
    In other news, Miley recently announced that she's working on an album of Metallica covers. Honestly, my only question is: who is this for? I mean, it's not for Metallica fans, and I assume it's not for her existing fans. Genuine question, by the way.
    For her, maybe? Get to a certain level of fame, do what you want, and whomever gets on board gets on board. Gotta respect that.
  • Options
    Long RedLong Red NY Posts: 185
    Why is she doing so many covers.... because covers get a lot of views on youtube or what? She's doing as many covers as original songs...
    She's doing it for me. Cuz I love her covers. 
  • Options
    darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,474
    Doesn't she have a Just Breathe tattoo? I'd say the song is important to her.
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,354
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    ClapperClapper Toronto Posts: 206
    Miley Cyrus can really, really sing.  This version was not for me though. 
    1993 - Toronto
    1996 - Toronto
    1998 - Barrie
    2000 - Toronto
    2003 - Buffalo, Toronto
    2005 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2006 - Toronto I, Toronto II
    2008 - EV solo Toronto I
    2010 - Buffalo, Newark
    2011 - Toronto I, Toronto II, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Chicago, Buffalo, Brooklyn I, Brooklyn II, Philadelphia I, Philadelphia II
    2014 - Detroit
    2016 - Philadelphia I, Philadelphia II, New York I, New York II, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2018 - Boston I, Boston II
  • Options
    GibsonGibson Toronto Posts: 2,527
    Long Red said:
    Miley Cyrus is fucking great. No joke. Would love to see her cover more PJ. She's a great rock singer. Look up her cover of Say Hello 2 Heaven and Zombie and Heart of Glass. Don't be judgy dicks. 
    I like you.
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024:

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,831
    pjruss said:
    She nailed Say Hello 2 Heaven at the Cornell tribute show. 

This one, not so much. 

But she’s clearly a fan. 
    agreed. she killed at the cornell show. 

i just don't like the vocals on this version of just breathe. i'm admittedly not a big fan of the band's post-avocado "cheese", but just breathe is a great song. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Attaway77 said:
    I thought it was cool... She's been doing music her whole life, she gets it and appreciates it. Shit, she did a song with Dolly Parton, that's cool stuff. Good on her for singing a song she enjoys. 
    Dolly Parton is her godmother. She has done plenty of songs with her.