Miley Cyrus covering "Just Breathe"

Comments

• EraserheadEraserhead Stoke-on-Trent Posts: 2,827
    She has a great voice - nice cover. And I liked her version of Sweet Jane earlier.
    Manchester 04.06.00, Leeds 25.08.06, Wembley 18.06.07, Dusseldorf 21.06.07, Shepherds Bush 11.08.09, Manchester 17.08.09, Adelaide 17.11.09, Melbourne 20.11.09, Sydney 22.11.09, Brisbane 25.11.09, MSG1 20.05.10, MSG2 21.05.10, Dublin 22.06.10, Belfast 23.06.10, London 25.06.10, Long Beach 06.07.11 (EV), Los Angeles 08.07.11 (EV), Toronto 11.09.11, Toronto 12.09.11, Ottawa 14.09.11, Hamilton 14.09.11, Manchester 20.06.12, Manchester 21.06.12, Amsterdam 26.06.2012, Amsterdam 27.06.2012, Berlin 04.07.12, Berlin 05.07.12, Stockholm 07.07.12, Oslo 09.07.12, Copenhagen 10.07.12, Manchester 28.07.12 (EV), Brooklyn 18.10.13, Brooklyn 19.10.13, Philly 21.10.13, Philly 22.10.13, San Diego 21.11.13, LA 23.11.13, LA 24.11.13, Oakland 26.11.13, Portland 29.11.13, Spokane 30.11.13, Calgary 02.12.13, Vancouver 04.12.13, Seattle 06.12.13, Trieste 22.06.14, Vienna 25.06.14, Berlin 26.06.14, Stockholm 28.06.14, Leeds 08.07.14, Philly 28.04.16, Philly 28.04.16, MSG1 01.05.16, MSG2 02.05.16
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited October 2020
    I love miley cyrus. Her last single is FIRE!!!

EDIT: That cover was off.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    I know Miley has lost  a close friend to Cystic Fibrosis; I have a niece and nephew with CF; CF affects the lungs and the digestive system.  I believe she did this to honor her friend.  I also believe she has a tattoo of Just Breathe, trust me folks, if you were at all familiar with CF, you would get this 100% and not be offended that someone outside your musical spectrum covered a song of your favorite artist.
    How would I know that? I am not saying she can’t cover the song and I certainly wasn’t offended. 
    All you said is very touching and I have a family history with CF myself. 
    Having said that... just because her heart is in the right place doesn’t make her version good. 
    I never said it was a good cover, I was just relating to why she covered it.  Everyone is so ready to attack this artist because they don't care for her, fine.  I was pointing out her possible reason for covering the song in general. 

Too much hatred around this board anymore.  So much for the Pearl Jam message of love, acceptance and tolerance.  Watch out for each other, take care of each other . . . that message went way over the head of most members here today.  If any of you have that much hatred and general disrespect for your fellow human beings in your heart, you're not getting it, not the music or the message in the music.  
    I think you are over reacting. I don’t see a single post here attacking her personally. Basically everyone was saying what you said in bold above. I did actually laugh out loud... not because it was the offspring of the Achy Breaky Heart guy covering PJ ... I laughed because it was sooo BAD. 
    Better than my karaoke version? Probably. But I’m not on MTV. 

It wasn’t hatred... and your attack on the “community” at large is hyperbolic.  
    Agree.
    I held off from sharing words around how I really felt about it.
    I don't dislike Ms Miley at all.  I think it is cool that she does her own thing.
    Also, just coincidentally, I volunteered for CF for a period of about five years, as one of my friends ran an office for their org.  Did all sorts of work and raised lots of money to try and help, met hundreds of kids with CF.
    Really odd attack on personal opinions of a song cover 
    Nothing but love, acceptance, and tolerance in my view of her....I just think the rendition of this song is not anything I will press play on ever again.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • away better than original
    No. The original is still the best:

https://youtu.be/_CmiOI_b7Rk
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,141
    Just Breathe by Pearl Jam is #50 on iTunes rock songs chart. http://bit.ly/PJamJustBreathe
    I miss igotid88
  • tschavtschav Posts: 2,759
    I was onboard until the :30 mark, then did that thing that goats do when they freeze and fall over.

if it wasn’t unplugged and the band was at the same intensity level I’d be less offended, but that was... 

• nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,638
    Rolling Stone actually just wrote that she injects more life into the song then Vedder did in the original.
    🤔 

RS is a joke on all fronts. Reviews, opinion pieces, lists, ... all a joke. 
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    I have no interest in hearing any versions of this song.
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    Prolly a good thing contemporary artist cover PJ, because before long the fanbase will twindle and young people will say “Pearl who? What did she sing?”
    MedozK said:
    Prolly a good thing contemporary artist cover PJ, because before long the fanbase will twindle and young people will say “Pearl who? What did she sing?”
    That's what I've been saying. Especially when people here or on the fb groups don't want PJ to do anything that will keep them in public view. Or us voting for them in polls or the like. But when they're not in an RS or whatever list of top 100 of something they get upset.
    I miss igotid88
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,864
    I'd have to see the whole song, but it was fine. She's got pipes. 

• stickmanstickman Posts: 1,008
    I liked it ... also think she rocks too ... 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    MedozK said:
    I do agree with this, even if I didn't enjoy the version .

Very good point.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • BloodMeridian80BloodMeridian80 Seattle Posts: 555
    Glad she covered it, but imo, she has one trick vocally which is power and yelling in key creating a monotone palette of emotion. Vedder’s vocals on the song display and match a myriad of emotions in the lyric. I hope her fans take a listen to the PJ version, but it will probably fall on deaf ears.
  • MedozK said:
    Just like when a trailer uses a song or a popular videogame and comment sections are filled with "WHO'S HERE BECAUSE OF GRAND THEFT AUTO?!?!?!?!"

https://youtu.be/-ojHWQrm4UM

• it's such a great song. i have nothing but respect for miley. her's is not my fave version of the song.
    imo this version is the best. the nelson's made it better than the song's original version.

• JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,448
    edited October 2020
    Not the worst thing I have ever heard. It sounds a little like Dolly Parton trying to do a Stevie Nicks impersonation. 
    Post edited by JeBurkhardt on
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited October 2020
    Miley Cyrus is at least out there promoting her new single and album, making it work during a pandemic. Respect:

https://youtu.be/AxZl2cFvjRs
    https://youtu.be/2pNZIvhiBjY
    https://youtu.be/aVqBV4t47FE
    https://youtu.be/NXzrjTP281w
    https://youtu.be/_yFovY2nNPM

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Not the worst thing I have ever heard. It sounds a little like Dolly Parton trying to do a Stevie Nicks impersonation. 

Talking about music I can understand « I prefer » , « is my favorite » but « is the best » « is better » « is awful »  doesn’t make much sense to me. That being said this cover is an absolute garbage and that Dolly Parton metaphore is entirely appropriate.
  • RW8297RW8297 Posts: 1,579
    +1
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    edited October 2020
    I think I’m with you here. It’s an okay song but lyrically a bit too much on the nose. 
    Now I don’t want to come across as one of those “nineties only” fans but it’d be cool if she’d try something like Daughter, Immortality, or Off He Goes (assuming we’re sticking with slower songs). 
    Speaking to the post about keeping Pearl Jam alive for younger generations, I just hope 50 years from now the band’s most popular songs aren’t Just Breathe, Sirens, and (gasp) Last Kiss....although I guess it won’t really matter since I’ll likely be dead by then!
  • Kearn5yKearn5y Ireland Posts: 2,684
    I must be the only one who LOVES the original. Hate this cover.
    Kearnsy
    The original is the best. Willie's version is good too. Have to listen to Miley's a few more times
    I miss igotid88
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    Love the original.  Powerful as hell.  

I don't mind pop artists covering PJ. I encourage it.  The vocal stylings on this one were uh...different.  Im not unfamiliar with her.  Im still recovering from standing in line to buy my daughter a Hannah Montana toy years and years ago. 
  • pjrusspjruss Posts: 449
    She nailed Say Hello 2 Heaven at the Cornell tribute show. 

This one, not so much. 

But she’s clearly a fan. 
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    pjruss said:
    She nailed Say Hello 2 Heaven at the Cornell tribute show. 

This one, not so much. 

But she’s clearly a fan. 
    she was great on the Cornell tribute so had some hopes she might be good on this.  It's not.  
  • My girlfriend is a huge Bowie fan and hates nirvana's man who sold the world. Guess I understand now. Also some Miley fans might look up pj now and that's a good thing right? 
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,689
    edited October 2020
    Last night I was with my 15 year old niece who is a Miley fan. She hadn't heard Just Breathe yet. I told her that I didn't care for the Miley version. I played her the Miley version first and she liked it. But then I played her the Pearl Jam version - and her first comment was - "Oh, Yeah. That one (the Pearl Jam one) is much better." But I do agree with some of you above where fans of the Miley versions may look up the original versions of songs and get to experience something new. I used to do that as well when I was younger. I think I heard the Van Halen cover of "You Really Got Me" when I was really young. It led me to listen to the Kinks. 
    Post edited by GlowGirl on
  • GlowGirl said:
    Last night I was with my 15 year old niece who is a Miley fan. She hadn't heard Just Breathe yet. I told her that I didn't care for the Miley version. I played her the Miley version first and she liked it. But then I played her the Pearl Jam version - and her first comment was - "Oh, Yeah. That one is much better." But I do agree with some of you above where fans of the Miley versions may look up the original versions of songs and get to experience something new. I used to do that as well when I was younger. I think I heard the Van Halen cover of "You Really Got Me" when I was really young. It led me to listen to the Kinks. 
    Acoustic-ified versions of songs are always a sure-fire way for a "hit". So hearing Mileys first, and then PJ I would think would give that result. If Miley would have done a slowed down version of Hail Hail, I think the result would be similiar too.

Just look at every videogame/movie trailer and their "take a hit song and do a slowed down moody version of it". 

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    Sounds ok to me
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville