Comments

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    myoung321 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    myoung321 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    myoung321 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Ya'll don't understand what happened here in VA.  This is a centrist state and the center has been repulsed by Trump.  Youngkin didn't talk about guns, abortion, the border, China... none of it.  Not one commercial or rally on those topics.  He promised to pass the largest education budget in our history.  He stayed on kitchen table issues.  He also promised to repeal the grocery tax (which is fucking annoying). 

You can ask me what Terry's key issue was.. I honestly couldn't tell you.  He ran a bad campaign.  It was lethargic and it felt like he was phoning it in.  It was very poorly done.  The result is that independents when from +19 Biden to -9 Terry.  And it didn't help that Terry said something stupid about parents and what is taught.. and that turned into a commercial I saw 50x while watching football.  Literally.  

So it wasn't necessarily wokeness, but they made education (and CRT) an issue.  But it goes further than just that.  It was a bad campaign. 

This will happen again and again across the country, especially now they know its a winning strategy.

Simply saying Biden or the Dems are the "better of two evils" isn't going to cut it again. 

Also...these Covid Mandates will sink the Democrats in mid-terms and for President... The party that has always been Pro-Choice is now the party of Medical Mandates? No hypocrisy here folks.. keep it moving..  
    v You can choose not to get vaxxed, just don't come around me.  Big difference.  

Big Difference?   The vaccine does NOT prevent you from shedding the virus and spreading it to others. If it worked like other vaccines then that would be true..The latest studies are showing declining protection after a few months.. so where's the Big Difference? 

<h3>&nbsp;</h3><h1><b>Pfizer’s Vaccine Protection May Wane After 2 Months</b>&nbsp;</h1>
    Oct 8, 2021 — For some people who got the vaccine, protection dropped as low as 20% between 5 and 7 months after the second dose.

https://www.webmd.com/vaccines/covid-19-vaccine/news/20211008/pfizer-vaccine-protection-may-wane-after-2-months 

Yes, you can spread the disease if you catch it.  However, you have to catch it to spread the disease.  Therefore if you have a 90% immunity in M2 that drops over time, you are still less likely to spread something that YOU DID NOT CATCH.  It's pretty simple math.  And yes, it drops but that's why there are boosters.  And that's why the CDC recommends an influenza shot yearly as well, because immunity drops.  This isn't new or rocket science here.  

Oh and nice use of conditionals all over that article.. "may, could, as low as, some people"  These are all so scary.  I can't believe I got the vaccine.  
    90% immunity? I wish.....     I read every day about "Break Through" cases.... When are they just going to be called CASES? 

I copied the article of the study on WebMD... not Trump .com

https://www.webmd.com/vaccines/covid-19-vaccine/news/20211008/pfizer-vaccine-protection-may-wane-after-2-months

That was the clinical study numbers of PHizer for the Alpha strain.  We are now on delta strain and the number is lower, but it's still in the 70's to start.  Second, the article was ONLY about Phizer.  

And if the alpha is 90 at peak, as an example, and wanes into the 60's which has been documented, then you are going to see plenty of cases.  But at either number, your chance of spreading the disease is far less likely than if you are not vaxxed.  Surely you can see how having a say.. 70% immunity response is better for public health than having a 0% immunity response.  

Either way, the point I made stands.  You can't argue that COVID isn't a public health crisis.  750k dead is a crisis.  Abortion is a personal issue.  A woman's choice to keep or abort a baby, and you don't know the woman, has no effect on you personally.  
  • myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    edited November 2021
    myoung321 said:
    static111 said:
    brianlux said:
    Kat said:
    It was not directed at any one person. Just trying to keep the peace and spread some love. 
    Did you watch what Rachel Maddow said about the election trend with VA and NJ? She found some better news for Dems. 
    Then there's the James Carville comment about being woke that I haven't looked into yet...we could discuss that stuff. You decide which thread, ok? :) 
    Carville was spot on. Here's the article...

James Carville Says ‘Stupid Wokeness’ Costs Democrats at the Polls (msn.com)
    He went on, saying that what he sees as wokeness “has a suppressive effect all across the country on Democrats.”

“Some of these people need to go to a ‘woke’ detox center or something,” he said. “They’re expressing a language that people just don’t use and there’s backlash and a frustration at that.”

Couldn't agree more.  The whole "woke" attitude simply reeks of arrogant self-righteousness.  It' a major turn-off to the average moderate thinking person and an insult to people sincerely trying to make positive progressive change happen in this country.  It's the kind of attitude that is helping build the radical right.
    It might be helping build the radical right, but what it's definitely doing is turning off people from the Democratic Party. Whether those turned-off people join the GOP or vote republican in presidential and senate races around the country remain to be seen. But the Virginia governor race isn't a good sign for the Dems. 

Ya know, when I watched the George Floyd killing, like anybody, I thought it was terrible and (stupidly) felt this would be a coming-together moment for the country. And within days, it turned into "white people are evil." 

People that support the woke agenda want history taught as it was. That's fine. If they want chapter one of an American History textbook to depict white Europeans invading the jungles of West Africa and enslaving the natives, have at it, because that really happened. But don't be teaching that in 2021, whites are oppressors and blacks are oppressed.

And enough with the propaganda. Did you see Colin Kaepernick's Netflix thing that compared the NFL combine to a slave auction? It's fucking insulting to the slaves! Those were real people that suffered. You can't on one hand want to teach history (1619 project, CRT, etc.) and on the other hand, weaponize it with dangerous, manipulative propaganda. Sorry, but the white guy that might be the boss at your job is not tantamount to a slave owner. 
    First bolded...When did anyone with influence in the democratic party or the left in general ever suggest this..I heard this on am radio and fox but not from any actual dem or leftist influential types.

2nd bolded...I though the case was that white people are benefitting from a long history of whiteness and oppressing of Blacks and minorities, not that they are as a whole actually consciously oppressing anyone.  Again this is not a point I have seen suggested by Dems, left media or leftists.  In general the case can be made that the prevailing culture of whiteness is oppressive to minorities, but I am not seeing anyone suggesting that all of us white people are out and out running around oppressing people.  I guess nuance has been lost.
    Well yeah nobody comes out and says verbatim “white peoples are evil,” but just like there’s dog whistling on the right, there’s dog whistling on the left. 
    what are you talking about?   So no white people of the left? White progressives think they themselves are evil?  This makes little sense..  

Saying that blacks or people of color have had a more difficult time in our countrys history isn't saying all white people are evil.. Like drug or alcohol addition...to get over it you just admit you have a problem.. We have a problem!  
    You haven’t noticed a wave of “white guilt” over the past year and a half on the left? Or suggesting that everything is white supremacy? Including but not limited to voter ID laws, being against illegal immigration, and voting for a republican for governor of Virginia?
    No I haven't... I see the Right and Fox News, CNN, MSNBC..etc... saying it's happening...like the evil caravans from Mexico coming to take our jobs...or is it the Russians???. more Fear... BOOOOO

BTW- I'm white and have no guilt.  If some of my ancestors did stupid crap then I can't change that... but I won't ignore the fact that it happened.. 

Not one person has ever came up to me and said anything that sounded like "guilt shaming for my skin color"... 
    Post edited by myoung321 on
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

edited November 2021
    mrussel1 said:
    myoung321 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    myoung321 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    myoung321 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Ya'll don't understand what happened here in VA.  This is a centrist state and the center has been repulsed by Trump.  Youngkin didn't talk about guns, abortion, the border, China... none of it.  Not one commercial or rally on those topics.  He promised to pass the largest education budget in our history.  He stayed on kitchen table issues.  He also promised to repeal the grocery tax (which is fucking annoying). 

You can ask me what Terry's key issue was.. I honestly couldn't tell you.  He ran a bad campaign.  It was lethargic and it felt like he was phoning it in.  It was very poorly done.  The result is that independents when from +19 Biden to -9 Terry.  And it didn't help that Terry said something stupid about parents and what is taught.. and that turned into a commercial I saw 50x while watching football.  Literally.  

So it wasn't necessarily wokeness, but they made education (and CRT) an issue.  But it goes further than just that.  It was a bad campaign. 

This will happen again and again across the country, especially now they know its a winning strategy.

Simply saying Biden or the Dems are the "better of two evils" isn't going to cut it again. 

Also...these Covid Mandates will sink the Democrats in mid-terms and for President... The party that has always been Pro-Choice is now the party of Medical Mandates? No hypocrisy here folks.. keep it moving..  

Big Difference?   The vaccine does NOT prevent you from shedding the virus and spreading it to others. If it worked like other vaccines then that would be true..The latest studies are showing declining protection after a few months.. so where's the Big Difference? 

<h3>&nbsp;</h3><h1><b>Pfizer’s Vaccine Protection May Wane After 2 Months</b>&nbsp;</h1>
    Oct 8, 2021 — For some people who got the vaccine, protection dropped as low as 20% between 5 and 7 months after the second dose.

Yes, you can spread the disease if you catch it.  However, you have to catch it to spread the disease.  Therefore if you have a 90% immunity in M2 that drops over time, you are still less likely to spread something that YOU DID NOT CATCH.  It's pretty simple math.  And yes, it drops but that's why there are boosters.  And that's why the CDC recommends an influenza shot yearly as well, because immunity drops.  This isn't new or rocket science here.  

Oh and nice use of conditionals all over that article.. "may, could, as low as, some people"  These are all so scary.  I can't believe I got the vaccine.  
    90% immunity? I wish.....     I read every day about "Break Through" cases.... When are they just going to be called CASES? 

That was the clinical study numbers of PHizer for the Alpha strain.  We are now on delta strain and the number is lower, but it's still in the 70's to start.  Second, the article was ONLY about Phizer.  

And if the alpha is 90 at peak, as an example, and wanes into the 60's which has been documented, then you are going to see plenty of cases.  But at either number, your chance of spreading the disease is far less likely than if you are not vaxxed.  Surely you can see how having a say.. 70% immunity response is better for public health than having a 0% immunity response.  

Either way, the point I made stands.  You can't argue that COVID isn't a public health crisis.  750k dead is a crisis.  Abortion is a personal issue.  A woman's choice to keep or abort a baby, and you don't know the woman, has no effect on you personally.  
     Unvaxxed are have 0% immunity?? really......hmmm...So those the have had the virus and have natural antibodies have 0% immunity? and they should be Mandated for ..what did you say... Public Health?  So we should just ignore this part of the Science for Public Health?

How is it you simply can't see why Mandates are as Unamerican as it gets?... period. and please don't accuse me of being a Trumper or Anti-Vaxxer... I'm neither.. I'm anti-Mandates. 

Just amazes me how much trust is put in Big Pharma, especially after the Opioid lies... OxyContin is only addictive to 1% of people..RIGHT? haha

edited November 2021
    myoung321 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    myoung321 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    myoung321 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    myoung321 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Unvaxxed are have 0% immunity?? really......hmmm...So those the have had the virus and have natural antibodies have 0% immunity? and they should be Mandated for ..what did you say... Public Health?  So we should just ignore this part of the Science for Public Health?

How is it you simply can't see why Mandates are as Unamerican as it gets?... period. and please don't accuse me of being a Trumper or Anti-Vaxxer... I'm neither.. I'm anti-Mandates. 

Just amazes me how much trust is put in Big Pharma, especially after the Opioid lies... OxyContin is only addictive to 1% of people..RIGHT? haha
    Yes, you're correct.  Someone that is post COVID has some immunity.  That wasn't really the point.  And how can you say that mandates are un-American.  Every one of my children had mandated vaccines to attend public schools.  Every soldier must meet mandated vaccines to join the service.  In what world do you live and can say that mandates don't exist in this country.  

And last, there's no law that says you have to get vaccinated.  Don't work.  Or work for a company with less than 100 employees.  Then you don't need to get vaccinated or get tested.  Pretty simple. 
    Post edited by mrussel1 on
    mrussel1 said:
    myoung321 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    myoung321 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    myoung321 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    myoung321 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Yes, you're correct.  Someone that is post COVID has some immunity.  That wasn't really the point.  And how can you say that mandates are un-American.  Every one of my children had mandated vaccines to attend public schools.  Every soldier must meet mandated vaccines to join the service.  In what world do you live and can say that mandates don't exist in this country.  

And last, there's no law that says you have to get vaccinated.  Don't work.  Or work for a company with less than 100 employees.  Then you don't need to get vaccinated or get tested.  Pretty simple. 
     That was the point.. you implied 0% immunity of the unvaxxed ............Too bad the Covid vaccine doesn't work like those given to kids for public school. Do some people still get Polio or Small Pox? NO.. why? Because the vaccine actually work to create long term protection..  Those vaccines have been proven over time extremely affective and safe.. This one has not...We are in a huge clinical trial as we speak. 

Soldiers have no choice.. You sign your rights away when you join...such as the right of free speech (at the very least, it could be called insubordination, even sedition; try telling a First Sergeant that physical training every day before dawn is wrong), freedom of assembly to address grievances or to protest (could be interpreted as mutiny), freedom from search or seizure

myoung321 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    myoung321 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    myoung321 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    myoung321 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    myoung321 said:
    mrussel1 said:

That was the point.. you implied 0% immunity of the unvaxxed ............Too bad the Covid vaccine doesn't work like those given to kids for public school. Do some people still get Polio or Small Pox? NO.. why? Because the vaccine actually work to create long term protection..  Those vaccines have been proven over time extremely affective and safe.. This one has not...We are in a huge clinical trial as we speak. 

Soldiers have no choice.. You sign your rights away when you join...such as the right of free speech (at the very least, it could be called insubordination, even sedition; try telling a First Sergeant that physical training every day before dawn is wrong), freedom of assembly to address grievances or to protest (could be interpreted as mutiny), freedom from search or seizure
    First, I wasn't thinking about COVID survivors.  So fine, they have some immunity.  Do you think unvaxed, not COVID have some natural immunity?  Those were the people I was speaking of.  

Second, neither teh polio nor the smallpox vaccine are 100% effective.  95% effective + herd immunity = eradication.  Oh and btw, anti-vaxxer idiots in CA and OR have been successful in creating new outbreaks of the Measles (which is 93% effective, not 100%).  

Third, why didn't you address my point about public schools?  Although it's good to see that you understand that not all rights are unlimited, as the SCOTUS has ruled multiple times.  

The point stands, that mandates are not "Un-American".  They exist and have existed if you want to fully participate in society.  You can go be a hermit, home school your kids, do whatever the hell you want if you don't want to get vaxxed.  But if you want to participate, there are rules.  This is not an "un-American" one.  That's purely your opinion, and one that is contradicted by fully observable parts of society.  And again.. with the OSHA rules, you can get tested.  Knock yourself out. 
  • mrussel1 said:
    myoung321 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    myoung321 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    myoung321 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    myoung321 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    myoung321 said:
    mrussel1 said:

First, I wasn't thinking about COVID survivors.  So fine, they have some immunity.  Do you think unvaxed, not COVID have some natural immunity?  Those were the people I was speaking of.  

Second, neither teh polio nor the smallpox vaccine are 100% effective.  95% effective + herd immunity = eradication.  Oh and btw, anti-vaxxer idiots in CA and OR have been successful in creating new outbreaks of the Measles (which is 93% effective, not 100%).  

Third, why didn't you address my point about public schools?  Although it's good to see that you understand that not all rights are unlimited, as the SCOTUS has ruled multiple times.  

The point stands, that mandates are not "Un-American".  They exist and have existed if you want to fully participate in society.  You can go be a hermit, home school your kids, do whatever the hell you want if you don't want to get vaxxed.  But if you want to participate, there are rules.  This is not an "un-American" one.  That's purely your opinion, and one that is contradicted by fully observable parts of society.  And again.. with the OSHA rules, you can get tested.  Knock yourself out. 
    Everyone has the freedumb to move to Aloneistan, otherwise known as Idaho.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,617
    edited November 2021
    I live in VA and consider myself a moderate.  Voted for Biden in November but voted for Youngkin for GOV.  Trump was the worst thing to ever happen so Biden was a no brainer 

Why did I vote for Youngkin?  Honestly, I haven’t kept up on every single belief and view of each candidate.  What I do know is every day I spent 12-14 hours running my practice which is a 5 employee office, and it takes up 80% of my time. The only issue I can think about or have time to think about is my small business and my employees in a post pandemic state.  

It’s not that I don’t care about social issues, and while it may be selfish to say, the economy and my business is literally my livelihood and I felt that Youngkin would keep me afloat more than Terry would have.  I start all of my staff at 20$ an hour with paid holidays and some benefits.  And I can promise you that not all doctors make as much as you think.  It’s not a bad living by any means, but I think you would be shocked to see how little the margins can be for some physicians compared to what the general public thinks.  Maybe not the cardiologist who has been downtown for 30 years, but for the podiatrist who is 6 months into trail blazing a private practice because no one was hiring during Covid?  Yeah, it’s a little rough. 

Additionally, our VPN which links us to our EMR was hacked by A Russian ransomware group over the weekend, which has been a huge blow for us this week, and there is no timeline to have this resolved.

Also, I can’t think of one thing Biden has done in the last 10 months to change my situation or help me as a business owner.  I certainly know I haven’t seen a dime of that student loan forgiveness, and my payments increase by the thousands, yes thousands, next month as I start to pay back medical school loans.

So I voted for Youngkin because I care about the economy and keeping me and my employees on their feet more than anything else right now.  And I can’t help but feel that more people will feel the same over the next few years as we all rebound from the pandemic.

Post edited by Weston1283 on
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
    I live in VA and consider myself a moderate.  Voted for Biden in November but voted for Youngkin for GOV.  Trump was the worst thing to ever happen so Biden was a no brainer 

Why did I vote for Youngkin?  Honestly, I haven’t kept up on every single belief and view of each candidate.  What I do know is every day I spent 12-14 hours running my practice which is a 5 employee office, and it takes up 80% of my time. The only issue I can think about or have time to think about is my small business and my employees in a post pandemic state.  

It’s not that I don’t care about social issues, and while it may be selfish to say, the economy and my business is literally my livelihood and I felt that Youngkin would keep me afloat more than Terry would have.  I start all of my staff at 20$ an hour with paid holidays and some benefits.  And I can promise you that not all doctors make as much as you think.  It’s not a bad living by any means, but I think you would be shocked to see how little the margins can be for some physicians compared to what the general public thinks.  Maybe not the cardiologist who has been downtown for 30 years, but for the podiatrist who is 6 months into trail blazing a private practice because no one was hiring during Covid?  Yeah, it’s a little rough. 

Additionally, our VPN which links us to our EMR was hacked by A Russian ransomware group over the weekend, which has been a huge blow for us this week, and there is no timeline to have this resolved.

Also, I can’t think of one thing Biden has done in the last 10 months to change my situation or help me as a business owner.  I certainly know I haven’t seen a dime of that student loan forgiveness, and my payments increase by the thousands, yes thousands, next month as I start to pay back medical school loans.

So I voted for Youngkin because I care about the economy and keeping me and my employees on their feet more than anything else right now.  And I can’t help but feel that more people will feel the same over the next few years as we all rebound from the pandemic.

As a lifelong D I don't really worry about Youngkin too much.  I'm actually more concerned that the legislature flipped again.  That's where he crazies live.  The question is whether he will veto anything regressive they do.  

How are you enjoying our little city so far? 
  • Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,617
    mrussel1 said:

As a lifelong D I don't really worry about Youngkin too much.  I'm actually more concerned that the legislature flipped again.  That's where he crazies live.  The question is whether he will veto anything regressive they do.  

How are you enjoying our little city so far? 
    Loving it so far!  Have settled in very nicely so far

I also have to agree with your comments about the McCauliffe campaign.  I honestly have no clue what he was actually trying to do.  From my limited following of both campaigns, his was all over the place.  

The “not trump” campaign easily won me in 2020.  But Trump is gone.  There may be some folks in politics who have some of his similar horrible views, but I wont for a democrat just because “we’re not like Trump!” Is the argument. 
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
  • Lindsey Flimsy Flipflop Faloozy raring his fugly face and threatening ass phoopings on national television? Good lord how far has this country fallen? 
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • So far that “Drain the Swamp” was like pizzagate and Maria Butina, remember her?, as well as 1/6 and NYC DA plowing forth, and Bull Durham is trying oh so hard. Meanwhile, those damn Dems can’t pass weed normalization nor prescription drug pricing but all fault lies with them?

I love me a Philly cheesesteak.

Brilliantati©
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    I haven't followed the VA vote as close as some of you but from what I have read, if "wokeness" wasn't the main issue (I can't see how it did anything but do harm, but yeah, that's arguable), then it sure looks like weakness was.  mrussell even mentioned McAuliffe running a weak campaign. 
    If Democrats don't start being more proactive and show a lot more energy, spunk, and toughness, they are going to lose more ground, and more and more lawmakers who don't care about the survival of democracy, and about environmental degradation, global warming, and women and minority rights, are going to get voted into office.  And being tough and proactive requires a lot more than just making claims about being "woke" or enlightened or whatever other self-deceiving bullshit lingo people are buying into. That kind of arrogance only turns moderates away away from progressive goals and gives the appearance of people being more trend oriented than informed.  
    I saw a lot of the same self deception in the 60's with all the then hip buzz word like "peace, brother", "right on, man", and "we're gonna change the world" talk and, as nice as that all sounds, we still ended up more wars, the continuation of oppression of minorities and women, and a trashed planet.  In our own way, my generation claimed to be "woke".  Yeah, groovy man.  Until it started to interfere with our boomer comforts.  Too much of it was talk, not enough action.  Look at where we are now.
    Getting informed and involved is the only way things will get better.  Simply claiming to be enlightened (or whatever the next buzz word is) is simply just more hip lingo that don't add up to nothin'.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• So explain the white fueled anger and the storming of the capitol to me. What’s their grievance? Because I don’t understand it. Anyone?
    Those were also the ones that went out and voted.
    What are their grievances? The ones who voted?
    In NY bail reform and high taxes as mentioned before.
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,450
    So far that “Drain the Swamp” was like pizzagate and Maria Butina, remember her?, as well as 1/6 and NYC DA plowing forth, and Bull Durham is trying oh so hard. Meanwhile, those damn Dems can’t pass weed normalization nor prescription drug pricing but all fault lies with them?

I love me a Philly cheesesteak.
    They didn't drain the swamp, they just brought in their own alligators.
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    brianlux said:
    I haven't followed the VA vote as close as some of you but from what I have read, if "wokeness" wasn't the main issue (I can't see how it did anything but do harm, but yeah, that's arguable), then it sure looks like weakness was.  mrussell even mentioned McAuliffe running a weak campaign. 
    If Democrats don't start being more proactive and show a lot more energy, spunk, and toughness, they are going to lose more ground, and more and more lawmakers who don't care about the survival of democracy, and about environmental degradation, global warming, and women and minority rights, are going to get voted into office.  And being tough and proactive requires a lot more than just making claims about being "woke" or enlightened or whatever other self-deceiving bullshit lingo people are buying into. That kind of arrogance only turns moderates away away from progressive goals and gives the appearance of people being more trend oriented than informed.  
    I saw a lot of the same self deception in the 60's with all the then hip buzz word like "peace, brother", "right on, man", and "we're gonna change the world" talk and, as nice as that all sounds, we still ended up more wars, the continuation of oppression of minorities and women, and a trashed planet.  In our own way, my generation claimed to be "woke".  Yeah, groovy man.  Until it started to interfere with our boomer comforts.  Too much of it was talk, not enough action.  Look at where we are now.
    Getting informed and involved is the only way things will get better.  Simply claiming to be enlightened (or whatever the next buzz word is) is simply just more hip lingo that don't add up to nothin'.

Off year elections are usually about which party is more motivated to vote and almost every year it’s gop voters. Sometimes when a Republican is POTUS the Dems are energized enough in off year elections to vote. 

The reality of the VA race, and MANY others in mid Atlantic and northeast, is the Rs were more motivated to vote. Let’s say in VA the Rs got about 80% turnout (compared to a presidential election) and the Dems got 70% turnout. That’s the issue that matters. Sure winning independents help but these days a huge majority of voters identify as leaning solid R or D

My concern is that this generation was supposed to be different. Millennials were supposed to be passionate about saving the planet and government solutions solving economic problems. What I am seeing, is millennials are just as bad at voting as older democrats, they are too interested in other things like Xbox and insta to be concerned about voting. The blue millennial wave is turning out to be just another hoax perpetrated by democrat strategists

• HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    myoung321 said:
    brianlux said:
    Kat said:
    It was not directed at any one person. Just trying to keep the peace and spread some love. 
    Did you watch what Rachel Maddow said about the election trend with VA and NJ? She found some better news for Dems. 
    Then there's the James Carville comment about being woke that I haven't looked into yet...we could discuss that stuff. You decide which thread, ok? :) 

He went on, saying that what he sees as wokeness “has a suppressive effect all across the country on Democrats.”

“Some of these people need to go to a ‘woke’ detox center or something,” he said. “They’re expressing a language that people just don’t use and there’s backlash and a frustration at that.”

Couldn't agree more.  The whole "woke" attitude simply reeks of arrogant self-righteousness.  It' a major turn-off to the average moderate thinking person and an insult to people sincerely trying to make positive progressive change happen in this country.  It's the kind of attitude that is helping build the radical right.

Thing is...I think it's not the majority of the party. But it's the loudest and since Republicans are better at politics, they're pretty easily able label every dem as a woke, defund the police wantin', socialist pig---And, even though it's bullshit, it wins the argument because it's an easy one to make. 
    And I think the "loudest" that you speak of are the talking heads on MSNBC. Joy Reid and Nicole Wallace do more damage to the democratic party's election chances than far-left-leaning elected officials like AOC or Bernie could ever do. Go back and watch them during the Dem primary in 2020. Over and over they'd suggest that the last thing we need is another white man like Biden.....until that's exactly what they needed to beat Trump. 
    I think its funny that AOC and Bernie are still considered "Far Left".... They get in line with the establishment dems every time and do zero for the working class. This "take over" by the far left is a joke... When was the last time these so-called "Far Left Leaders" ever went and sat with workers striking or even speak out in a way that actually matters... Leaders? We have no Left Leaders.  

BTW... Corporate paid Cable News talking heads aren't the Left.... 
    Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez visits the CWA picket line at Mercy Hospital | News 4 Buffalo (wivb.com)
    How AOC Rallied Grocery Store Workers on Strike (townhall.com)
    AOC Spent Inauguration Day at a Strike (msn.com)
    Bernie Sanders to Join McDonald's Workers Striking for Higher Wages (businessinsider.com)
    AOC joins ‘striketober’ support as more than 10,000 John Deere workers strike for better wages and benefits (msn.com)
    With Millions Unemployed, AOC Calls for a Strike: 'Just Say No' to Returning to Work – PJ Media
    AOC and Bernie Sanders back striking Uber and Lyft drivers: 'The greed has got to end' (yahoo.com)
    'An equitable, sustainable solution': Taxi drivers win big with city-backed debt relief program after 15-day hunger strike – QNS.com

Let me know if I need to keep going.
    brianlux said:

Off year elections are usually about which party is more motivated to vote and almost every year it’s gop voters. Sometimes when a Republican is POTUS the Dems are energized enough in off year elections to vote. 

The reality of the VA race, and MANY others in mid Atlantic and northeast, is the Rs were more motivated to vote. Let’s say in VA the Rs got about 80% turnout (compared to a presidential election) and the Dems got 70% turnout. That’s the issue that matters. Sure winning independents help but these days a huge majority of voters identify as leaning solid R or D

My concern is that this generation was supposed to be different. Millennials were supposed to be passionate about saving the planet and government solutions solving economic problems. What I am seeing, is millennials are just as bad at voting as older democrats, they are too interested in other things like Xbox and insta to be concerned about voting. The blue millennial wave is turning out to be just another hoax perpetrated by democrat strategists

I had shared some of those same hopes but instead of being passionate, millennials seem to be more like deer caught in the headlights.  In a way, I can't blame them.  The problems they are facing in this world are literally as big as a planet.   And I hate to say it, but too many are in sort of a permanent state of shock and, like you say, retreat to their distractions.  So much time spent on iPhones, games and television. 
    But there are also activist youth out there and the best hope is that the leaders among them will step up and inspire others to get to work solving problems. 
    I feel bad as hell for young people today.  I can't imagine the despair of being young when your life should be filled with hope but instead live in a world where so many people just talk about doom and gloom.  I want to see more of them get angry and get busy with fighting back and restoring some hope.  All the moping around and near ubiquitous ennui is not getting the job done.  We need a resurgence of activist mind set infused with punk rock level energy, not these obsessions with mindless games, and with being neurotic, and wallowing in self doubt.  The new motto of the youth should be "Get off the couch!" 

And I'm not making fun of people with psychological issues.  I have had plenty of my own and I know from experience that the only way to get past them or at least not let them make oneself ineffective and useless is to get moving, get busy, get motivated.  I had to get there and its hard, fucking hard work, but it pays off.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,450
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

I had shared some of those same hopes but instead of being passionate, millennials seem to be more like deer caught in the headlights.  In a way, I can't blame them.  The problems they are facing in this world are literally as big as a planet.   And I hate to say it, but too many are in sort of a permanent state of shock and, like you say, retreat to their distractions.  So much time spent on iPhones, games and television. 
    But there are also activist youth out there and the best hope is that the leaders among them will step up and inspire others to get to work solving problems. 
    I feel bad as hell for young people today.  I can't imagine the despair of being young when your life should be filled with hope but instead live in a world where so many people just talk about doom and gloom.  I want to see more of them get angry and get busy with fighting back and restoring some hope.  All the moping around and near ubiquitous ennui is not getting the job done.  We need a resurgence of activist mind set infused with punk rock level energy, not these obsessions with mindless games, and with being neurotic, and wallowing in self doubt.  The new motto of the youth should be "Get off the couch!" 

And I'm not making fun of people with psychological issues.  I have had plenty of my own and I know from experience that the only way to get past them or at least not let them make oneself ineffective and useless is to get moving, get busy, get motivated.  I had to get there and its hard, fucking hard work, but it pays off.
    I think a lot of them think they are doing something, but in reality are not. When something comes across their news feed, liking it or sharing it is easy and probably makes people feel like they are contributing somehow. It feels good and doesn't require any real energy or ownership of the situation. Somehow they need to get motivated like you said to take the next step of actual action. Maybe it is activists doing more face to face outreach and not so much fleeting posts on social media. It is more labor intensive, but might spur better results.
    brianlux said:

I think a lot of them think they are doing something, but in reality are not. When something comes across their news feed, liking it or sharing it is easy and probably makes people feel like they are contributing somehow. It feels good and doesn't require any real energy or ownership of the situation. Somehow they need to get motivated like you said to take the next step of actual action. Maybe it is activists doing more face to face outreach and not so much fleeting posts on social media. It is more labor intensive, but might spur better results.
    Excellent point, Je. 
    I think the same can be said about "signing" on-line letter and petitions.  On-line signing does very little.  And even though I have, and still occasionally do sign them, I'm actually glad I don't see as many of them.  I think some organizations are beginning to acknowledge how little useful they are.  It's a lot more effective to write personal letter and make phone calls.
    I would love to see Activism 101 classes taught in high school and college.  Get kids motivated to do things that really make a difference, that get the message across more directly, that get social movements real and on the ground instead of simply floating around in the airy world of social media.

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Excellent point, Je. 
    I think the same can be said about "signing" on-line letter and petitions.  On-line signing does very little.  And even though I have, and still occasionally do sign them, I'm actually glad I don't see as many of them.  I think some organizations are beginning to acknowledge how little useful they are.  It's a lot more effective to write personal letter and make phone calls.
    I would love to see Activism 101 classes taught in high school and college.  Get kids motivated to do things that really make a difference, that get the message across more directly, that get social movements real and on the ground instead of simply floating around in the airy world of social media.

There's a term for this: Slacktivism.

'Slacktivism': Legitimate Action or Just Lazy Liking? (citizenlab.co)
  • cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,390
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Excellent point, Je. 
    I realize that it’s difficult to deny your children screen time, cell phones, etc. but you can thank the parents of millennials for not being the adult/parent in the family.  I’ve said it before I was lousy at teaching my kids about climate change but they waited till the were 16 to use the internet and cell phones were purchased before college.  They hated me for it but they got over it and actually survived.  We were raising children when technology increased dramatically.  We didn’t know what we were doing or the effects it would have on kids so how could we know what they were doing?  Not an excuse, I just think more will come around once they have kids of their own, hopefully. I have more faith in the younger ones (whatever their generation is called) then in the millennials. 
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Excellent point, Je. 
    I realize that it’s difficult to deny your children screen time, cell phones, etc. but you can thank the parents of millennials for not being the adult/parent in the family.  I’ve said it before I was lousy at teaching my kids about climate change but they waited till the were 16 to use the internet and cell phones were purchased before college.  They hated me for it but they got over it and actually survived.  We were raising children when technology increased dramatically.  We didn’t know what we were doing or the effects it would have on kids so how could we know what they were doing?  Not an excuse, I just think more will come around once they have kids of their own, hopefully. I have more faith in the younger ones (whatever their generation is called) then in the millennials. 
    Gen Z.  I have more faith in them too.  My older ones are Z's and they are 'normal'. 
    edited November 2021
    Hobbes said:
    myoung321 said:
    brianlux said:
    Kat said:

Thing is...I think it's not the majority of the party. But it's the loudest and since Republicans are better at politics, they're pretty easily able label every dem as a woke, defund the police wantin', socialist pig---And, even though it's bullshit, it wins the argument because it's an easy one to make. 
    And I think the "loudest" that you speak of are the talking heads on MSNBC. Joy Reid and Nicole Wallace do more damage to the democratic party's election chances than far-left-leaning elected officials like AOC or Bernie could ever do. Go back and watch them during the Dem primary in 2020. Over and over they'd suggest that the last thing we need is another white man like Biden.....until that's exactly what they needed to beat Trump. 
    I think its funny that AOC and Bernie are still considered "Far Left".... They get in line with the establishment dems every time and do zero for the working class. This "take over" by the far left is a joke... When was the last time these so-called "Far Left Leaders" ever went and sat with workers striking or even speak out in a way that actually matters... Leaders? We have no Left Leaders.  

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez visits the CWA picket line at Mercy Hospital | News 4 Buffalo (wivb.com)
    Bernie Sanders to Join McDonald's Workers Striking for Higher Wages (businessinsider.com)
    AOC joins ‘striketober’ support as more than 10,000 John Deere workers strike for better wages and benefits (msn.com)
    With Millions Unemployed, AOC Calls for a Strike: 'Just Say No' to Returning to Work – PJ Media
    AOC and Bernie Sanders back striking Uber and Lyft drivers: 'The greed has got to end' (yahoo.com)
    'An equitable, sustainable solution': Taxi drivers win big with city-backed debt relief program after 15-day hunger strike – QNS.com

Yes,,, they showed up for mainstream media photo op...then left..

The fact that you or anyone still sees AOC as far left is hilarious?   

edited November 2021
    mrussel1 said:
    myoung321 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    myoung321 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    myoung321 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    myoung321 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Yes, you're correct.  Someone that is post COVID has some immunity.  
    No,, that is the point..  Because someone that has been vaccinated also have SOME immunity..

You can spread Covid regardless of vaccination status. Right?

Bottom Line: It shouldn't be anyone's business weather you've been vaccinated to not...

and WTF about Hippaa Laws (The Privacy Rule, a Federal law, gives you rights over your health information and sets rules and limits on who can look at and receive your health information)

I guess if the law doesn't fit the mainstream media and big pharma narrative or the WOKE then they must be ignored.. 

--- ya ya I know... This is the part where you say .. "You don't have to work for or.....blah blah blah..."  

Making people wear Arm Bands to indentify them has never worked out well....

• static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Excellent point, Je. 
    Gen Z.  I have more faith in them too.  My older ones are Z's and they are 'normal'. 
    I think the machine eventually destroys all generations.  It becomes very frustrating watching the slow creep of progress when everytime there is a minor step forward there are several steps immediately pulling back.  It's one thing to say change comes slow, its another to see the same pattern played out generation after generation hard not to be disillusioned. The ballot box has not been a very effective weapon against generations of power in pursuit of arresting social change through all means necessary including but not limited to lies, fabrication, deceptions etc.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
    myoung321 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    myoung321 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    myoung321 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    myoung321 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    myoung321 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Yes, you're correct.  Someone that is post COVID has some immunity.  
    No,, that is the point..  Because someone that has been vaccinated also have SOME immunity..

You can spread Covid regardless of vaccination status. Right?

Bottom Line: It shouldn't be anyone's business weather you've been vaccinated to not...

and WTF about Hippaa Laws (The Privacy Rule, a Federal law, gives you rights over your health information and sets rules and limits on who can look at and receive your health information)

I guess if the law doesn't fit the mainstream media and big pharma narrative or the WOKE then they must be ignored.. 

--- ya ya I know... This is the part where you say .. "You don't have to work for or.....blah blah blah..."  

Making people wear Arm Bands to indentify them has never worked out well....

You should really look into what HIPAA is before attempting to use it to support your argument.
    myoung321 said:
    Hobbes said:
    myoung321 said:
    brianlux said:
    Kat said:

Yes,,, they showed up for mainstream media photo op...then left..

The fact that you or anyone still sees AOC as far left is hilarious?   
    AOC has in fact stood with workers on strike and spoke out on their behalf. You claimed she had not. I provided evidence to the contrary. You then purport it was merely a photo op. Predictable response. Should AOC have joined the 15 day hunger strike? What criteria need met in your mind to necessitate worthiness of her actions?
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

I feel bad as hell for young people today.  I can't imagine the despair of being young when your life should be filled with hope but instead live in a world where so many people just talk about doom and gloom.  I want to see more of them get angry and get busy with fighting back and restoring some hope.  All the moping around and near ubiquitous ennui is not getting the job done.  We need a resurgence of activist mind set infused with punk rock level energy, not these obsessions with mindless games, and with being neurotic, and wallowing in self doubt.  The new motto of the youth should be "Get off the couch!

To woke, or not to woke: that is the question....

:lol:

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    Imagine our grandparents saying "nope" to the polio vaccine....
    chinese-happy.jpg