Options

GOP

Comments

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,015
    I really don't understand why we don't just sedate the person being executed and then do a lethal injection.  Why do we have to go through the drama of electrocution, gas, firing squad, etc?  How stupid.

Because the pharmaceutical companies have increasingly refused to allow their drugs to be used for execution.
    Can't we just do what Kevorkian did?
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,773
    If the death penalty is to be used at all, the goal should be to minimize suffering. Based on the political bent of the Arizona lawmakers, I imagine that this is being done as a desired punitive show to reinforce "law and order" and show how they are tough on criminals.

cant get the lethal injection drugs as most are made overseas.....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,967
    I really don't understand why we don't just sedate the person being executed and then do a lethal injection.  Why do we have to go through the drama of electrocution, gas, firing squad, etc?  How stupid.

Because the pharmaceutical companies have increasingly refused to allow their drugs to be used for execution.
    Really?  Is that why?
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826

You want this process to be even less lawful and ethical than it already is?
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options

I had zero problems with what Kevorkian did.  The ethics of that is either you agreed with him or didn't.

Lawfulness is in question how though?  If the death penalty is legal then why not do it in a way that the least amount of suffering occurs?
  • Options

I had zero problems with what Kevorkian did.  The ethics of that is either you agreed with him or didn't.

Lawfulness is in question how though?  If the death penalty is legal then why not do it in a way that the least amount of suffering occurs?

I have zero problems with what Kevorkian did either, but he did it with willing individuals that sought him out. How are you possibly comparing that to killing individuals in prison? Are you suggesting that they be forced to kill themselves? Are you arguing that the drug companies be forced to sell their product so that it can be used to execute people? Your analogy doesn't make any sense.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832

of course. big pharma is worried more about the bottom line and optics than human suffering. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

I have zero problems with what Kevorkian did either, but he did it with willing individuals that sought him out. How are you possibly comparing that to killing individuals in prison? Are you suggesting that they be forced to kill themselves? Are you arguing that the drug companies be forced to sell their product so that it can be used to execute people? Your analogy doesn't make any sense.
    Inmates kill themselves?  Who said that?  Let the corrections department administer the drugs used in carrying it out just like they would have before.

If corrections can buy the components to make a lethal gas why can't they buy components to make a sleep agent, heart stopping agent?
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,631

Inmates kill themselves?  Who said that?  Let the corrections department administer the drugs used in carrying it out just like they would have before.

If corrections can buy the components to make a lethal gas why can't they buy components to make a sleep agent, heart stopping agent?
    Because drug companies are different than gas companies?
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,773
    edited June 2021
    mrussel1 said:

they are all chemical compounds
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:

Exactly.
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,544
    It always amazes me when Qop members claim to be "pro-life" yet are always in support of the Death Penalty.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    Hobbes said:
    Remember a few short years ago we were debating “how it couldn’t happen here,” and how outraged some were for the comparison?

From the WaPo:

Arizona is taking steps to use hydrogen cyanide, the deadly gas used during the genocide perpetrated by the Nazis at Auschwitz and other extermination camps, to kill inmates on death row.

Corrections officials have refurbished a gas chamber that hasn’t been used in more than 20 years and have procured ingredients for the lethal gas, also known as Zyklon B, according to partially redacted documents obtained by the Guardian. Invoices show that the state purchased a brick of potassium cyanide, sodium hydroxide pellets and sulfuric acid, and a report details the considerable efforts taken to deem the gas chamber at a prison in Florence, Ariz., “operationally ready.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/06/01/arizona-gas-chamber-execution/

I might have built that prison in Florence...

Death Penalty is a death Penalty.  

So what is the outrage here?
    Is this a serious question? JFC!!!
    mrussel1 said:
    Remember a few short years ago we were debating “how it couldn’t happen here,” and how outraged some were for the comparison?

From the WaPo:

Arizona is taking steps to use hydrogen cyanide, the deadly gas used during the genocide perpetrated by the Nazis at Auschwitz and other extermination camps, to kill inmates on death row.

Corrections officials have refurbished a gas chamber that hasn’t been used in more than 20 years and have procured ingredients for the lethal gas, also known as Zyklon B, according to partially redacted documents obtained by the Guardian. Invoices show that the state purchased a brick of potassium cyanide, sodium hydroxide pellets and sulfuric acid, and a report details the considerable efforts taken to deem the gas chamber at a prison in Florence, Ariz., “operationally ready.”

Bad optics I suppose, to use Zyklon B.  The gas chamber was used for years in the US but I wonder if it used that gas during that time. 
    Bad optics to me.  We use 9mm bullets to this day and the Nazis used them too.

It's also called Hydrogen Cyanide.  Look, if the state of Arizona wants to execute inmates because the Nazis used this gas and it's a homage to that then people are either out of their damn minds or someone/s in the AZ Corrections department is even further out of their minds and should be investigated if that is the perceived reasoning.
    Meh.  A more apt analogy would be if SC decided that their new "execution by firing squad" used an MG42.  9MM is just a size. 
    The gas predates the nazis use too.  It started off as a pesticide.
  • Options

Anaesthetics are more complicated than you realize. You can’t just whip one up. 
  • Options

They seem to be able to make a gas that causes death pretty easily but I am not a chemist and am talking out loud.

Any chemists here?
  • Options

They seem to be able to make a gas that causes death pretty easily but I am not a chemist and am talking out loud.

Any chemists here?
    Executions are legal processes that are highly regulated and monitored. At a bare minimum they require licensed pharmaceuticals to ensure that the effect predictably leads to death without unexpected suffering such as respiratory paralysis while the inmate is still conscious. This is why you can’t just whip up a chemical in a lab. 
  • Options

Any chemists here?
    Executions are legal processes that are highly regulated and monitored. At a bare minimum they require licensed pharmaceuticals to ensure that the effect predictably leads to death without unexpected suffering such as respiratory paralysis while the inmate is still conscious. This is why you can’t just whip up a chemical in a lab. 
    But they are literally doing just that.  

Something is lost on me.  The corrections department bought components to make a gas.  If they are allowed to do that then they should be able to make a sleep agent too?
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:

So you're saying the same companies sell both?  That would be very surprising 
  • Options

Any chemists here?

Something is lost on me.  The corrections department bought components to make a gas.  If they are allowed to do that then they should be able to make a sleep agent too?
    You can buy ammonia and bleach and kill someone too.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

Any chemists here?

You can buy ammonia and bleach and kill someone too.
    You can drink them also or tie pods...

Having the right concoction to make sure the person dies somewhat of dignity matters.  If it didn't then someone mentioned before that they could just club them, stone or crucify and whatnot.
  • Options

Really?  Is that why?
    Just saw this now, scrolling back. Yes, it’s true. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    Hobbes said:

From the WaPo:

Is this a serious question? JFC!!!
    mrussel1 said:

From the WaPo:

Bad optics I suppose, to use Zyklon B.  The gas chamber was used for years in the US but I wonder if it used that gas during that time. 
    Bad optics to me.  We use 9mm bullets to this day and the Nazis used them too.

It's also called Hydrogen Cyanide.  Look, if the state of Arizona wants to execute inmates because the Nazis used this gas and it's a homage to that then people are either out of their damn minds or someone/s in the AZ Corrections department is even further out of their minds and should be investigated if that is the perceived reasoning.
    Meh.  A more apt analogy would be if SC decided that their new "execution by firing squad" used an MG42.  9MM is just a size. 
    The gas predates the nazis use too.  It started off as a pesticide.
    Well yes, but it's quite infamous today.  
  • Options

Any chemists here?

The corrections department may well be trying to do this. That doesn’t make it legal, even by their own standards.  It certainly doesn’t make it ethical. 
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,824
    edited June 2021
    Whenever I see/hear talk about the methods to execute and how we use less-than-optimal ways because of availability of chemicals, the elephant in the room is that the most important thing is that the state finds a way to kill people. To be honest, I used to be for the death penalty and I still believe there are people that we're better off without. But there's one key reason why I cannot support it: https://innocenceproject.org/ledell-lee-what-you-should-know-about-his-case-and-execution/. Was this guy innocent? I don't know.  But it's not realistic to think that nobody would ever be executed for something they didn't do.

And the whole "tough on crime" thing causes more problems than it solves.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:
    Whenever I see/hear talk about the methods to execute and how we use less-than-optimal ways because of availability of chemicals, the elephant in the room is that the most important thing is that the state finds a way to kill people. To be honest, I used to be for the death penalty and I still believe there are people that we're better off without. But there's one key reason why I cannot support it: https://innocenceproject.org/ledell-lee-what-you-should-know-about-his-case-and-execution/. Was this guy innocent? I don't know.  But it's not realistic to think that nobody would ever be executed for something they didn't do.

And the whole "tough on crime" thing causes more problems than it solves.
    I completely agree but have kind of given up arguing those points here. 
  • Options

Any chemists here?

The corrections department may well be trying to do this. That doesn’t make it legal, even by their own standards.  It certainly doesn’t make it ethical. 
    If it isn't legal then that is something different.  I know there was a problem with an execution years back and is most likely why they stopped.  I would have to find the article though.
  • Options

of course. big pharma is worried more about the bottom line and optics than human suffering. 
    So are you trying to argue that they should be compelled to allow their drugs to be used for executions with the argument that this will avoid suffering? You’re taking the utilitarian stance that it’s going to happen anyway and there’s no point in trying to object to executions? 
  • Options

So are you trying to argue that they should be compelled to allow their drugs to be used for executions with the argument that this will avoid suffering? You’re taking the utilitarian stance that it’s going to happen anyway and there’s no point in trying to object to executions? 
    I don't object to executions if done properly.  I am to the point though where the red tape that it causes just isn't worth it to the tax payer anymore.
  • Options

I don't object to executions if done properly.  I am to the point though where the red tape that it causes just isn't worth it to the tax payer anymore.
    And that whole "the guy is actually innocent thing" too.  I mean yeah it's a hassle and a cost to the taxpayer.  Those are the primary concerns.  But somewhere around concern #31, the person might be innocent.  So yeah...
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

And that whole "the guy is actually innocent thing" too.  I mean yeah it's a hassle and a cost to the taxpayer.  Those are the primary concerns.  But somewhere around concern #31, the person might be innocent.  So yeah...
    To be executed, for me, it has to be beyond a shadow of a doubt.  Film footage, heinous crime, multiple witness'.