Options

GOP

Comments

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,102
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:
    mickeyrat said:
    If it is being investigated already why bother with another one?
    ? the insurrection? are you kidding me? 9/11 was investigated by Congress, yet independent commission got it all.

commission will lay it all out, comprehensively. the complicity, the myriad failures and how to address those, prevention for the future cuz it ain't over.

and you oppose this why?

If it is being investigated already, why waste the time and money on bringing a committee together unless the current investigating body does not have the resources or are incapable?

If that were to happen then whomever is investigating now stops and hands over the information?  Are people being brought to trial by the committee, current investigating crew or both?

These are the questions I would want answered before going forth with a new investigating team/committee.
    I don't mean to be an ass, but the differences between a bunch of different agencies/groups looking at different aspects of the incident is not even close to the same as an entire independent commission dedicated to the task. You know 9/11 had this same situation going on until they moved forward with the commission right? The only difference now is that the GOP has the most to lose from this because these were domestic terrorists who supported their presidential nominee and not a bunch of middle eastern terrorists that could drum up patriotism and the war machine. This is beyond fucked that people don't realize the reasons behind not wanting the commission are partisan bullshit. This whole response some are giving of wanting an investigation in to BLM in return is just racist pandering. If they really wanted to do that, they had the last several years to do so.
    You answered part of my questions then.  I would assume that current trials couldn't go on until the committee investigating is done or they would arrest people as they went on?

I'm asking about possible screw ups and double jeopardy type situations too.  Obviously they know how to handle this better than I would.

How much investigation is going on to see how deep some of the politicians might be in it from the local level that is handling it?

Full of questions.
    I'm not sure who you are talking about when you say other are investigating it now.  Who do you mean specifically?
    There were arrests made from this, some 600 people already?  They were investigations to do that.  That's whom.  The FBI I believe?
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,699
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:
    mickeyrat said:
    ? the insurrection? are you kidding me? 9/11 was investigated by Congress, yet independent commission got it all.

commission will lay it all out, comprehensively. the complicity, the myriad failures and how to address those, prevention for the future cuz it ain't over.

and you oppose this why?

If it is being investigated already, why waste the time and money on bringing a committee together unless the current investigating body does not have the resources or are incapable?

If that were to happen then whomever is investigating now stops and hands over the information?  Are people being brought to trial by the committee, current investigating crew or both?

These are the questions I would want answered before going forth with a new investigating team/committee.
    I don't mean to be an ass, but the differences between a bunch of different agencies/groups looking at different aspects of the incident is not even close to the same as an entire independent commission dedicated to the task. You know 9/11 had this same situation going on until they moved forward with the commission right? The only difference now is that the GOP has the most to lose from this because these were domestic terrorists who supported their presidential nominee and not a bunch of middle eastern terrorists that could drum up patriotism and the war machine. This is beyond fucked that people don't realize the reasons behind not wanting the commission are partisan bullshit. This whole response some are giving of wanting an investigation in to BLM in return is just racist pandering. If they really wanted to do that, they had the last several years to do so.
    You answered part of my questions then.  I would assume that current trials couldn't go on until the committee investigating is done or they would arrest people as they went on?

I'm asking about possible screw ups and double jeopardy type situations too.  Obviously they know how to handle this better than I would.

How much investigation is going on to see how deep some of the politicians might be in it from the local level that is handling it?

Full of questions.
    I'm not sure who you are talking about when you say other are investigating it now.  Who do you mean specifically?
    There were arrests made from this, some 600 people already?  They were investigations to do that.  That's whom.  The FBI I believe?
    Those are completely different.  Those are criminal investigations into individual behaviors and their culpability under applicable statutes.  That's a completely different purpose than having a commission with the subpoena power that is looking at the underlying causes of the riot, the preparation by the gov't and military, the response, how to prevent in teh future, etc.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:
    mickeyrat said:

and you oppose this why?

Full of questions.
    Those are completely different.  Those are criminal investigations into individual behaviors and their culpability under applicable statutes.  That's a completely different purpose than having a commission with the subpoena power that is looking at the underlying causes of the riot, the preparation by the gov't and military, the response, how to prevent in teh future, etc.  
    If they aren't doing that now then yes, a committee should be formed.  I thought that was being done all this time actually.  With them piecing the emails together and figuring out time  lines and what was being planned.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,261
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:
    mickeyrat said:

and you oppose this why?

Full of questions.
    If they aren't doing that now then yes, a committee should be formed.  I thought that was being done all this time actually.  With them piecing the emails together and figuring out time  lines and what was being planned.
    Most of that work has been done by journalists tying together pieces from the different criminal cases. The incident was a total and utter failure of national security at our nation's capital and most of the GOP isn't sure they even want to look in to what needs to happen to prevent a future incident, whether it's a domestic or foreign threat.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:
    mickeyrat said:

and you oppose this why?

Full of questions.
    But that's only for those that are charged with crimes.  This is the much larger questions and issues that need to be understood to try and prevent such a situation from ever occurring again.  It's not about individual criminal activity.  That's for the FBI and the federal prosecutors.  There is no overarching investigation into the events as of today.  The independent commission would create that.  Think of it as the 911 commission, the Warren Commission (JKF assassination), etc. 
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,570
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:
    mickeyrat said:

and you oppose this why?

Full of questions.
    The FBI and DC police handled the insurrectionists. 

The commission is to investigate government failings and to root out any government employees, including elected officials,  who aided and abetted on or before and after January 6th.
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:
    mickeyrat said:

and you oppose this why?

Full of questions.
    Most of that work has been done by journalists tying together pieces from the different criminal cases. The incident was a total and utter failure of national security at our nation's capital and most of the GOP isn't sure they even want to look in to what needs to happen to prevent a future incident, whether it's a domestic or foreign threat.
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:
    mickeyrat said:

and you oppose this why?

Full of questions.
    But that's only for those that are charged with crimes.  This is the much larger questions and issues that need to be understood to try and prevent such a situation from ever occurring again.  It's not about individual criminal activity.  That's for the FBI and the federal prosecutors.  There is no overarching investigation into the events as of today.  The independent commission would create that.  Think of it as the 911 commission, the Warren Commission (JKF assassination), etc. 
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:
    mickeyrat said:

and you oppose this why?

Full of questions.
    The FBI and DC police handled the insurrectionists. 

The commission is to investigate government failings and to root out any government employees, including elected officials,  who aided and abetted on or before and after January 6th.
    Makes absolute sense then.  I don't follow very closely anymore so thought all this was being done already.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,938

GOP leaders condemn Greene over Holocaust comments
    By BRIAN SLODYSKO
    Today

WASHINGTON (AP) — Republican leaders forcefully condemned GOP Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene on Tuesday, calling her comments comparing COVID-19 safety measures like mask-wearing to the treatment of Jews in Nazi Germany “appalling.”

“Marjorie is wrong, and her intentional decision to compare the horrors of the Holocaust with wearing masks is appalling," House Republican Leader Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif., said in a statement, which stopped short of calling for Greene to face disciplinary measures. “The fact that this needs to be stated today is deeply troubling."

Greene, a conservative firebrand from Georgia and ally of former President Donald Trump, has thrived on stirring controversy, pushing conspiracy theories and forcefully confronting her colleagues since taking her seat in the House in January. But, until now, Republican leaders have proven hesitant to criticize her and refused to join with Democrats earlier this year when they voted to strip her of committee assignments.

Their rebuke Tuesday came after Greene made an appearance on a conservative podcast, “The Water Cooler with David Brody,” released last Thursday. In her interview, Greene excoriated safety protocols adopted by House Democrats, including a requirement that masks be worn on the House floor. She also called House Speaker Nancy Pelosi “mentally ill” and suggested that the rules were comparable to the treatment of Jews during the Holocaust.

“You know, we can look back in a time and history where people were told to wear a gold star. And they were definitely treated like second-class citizens, so much so that they were put in trains and taken to gas chambers in Nazi Germany,” Greene said on the podcast. “This is exactly the type of abuse that Nancy Pelosi is talking about.”

After her remarks sparked a firestorm of online criticism, Greene leaned in to the comparison further.

On Tuesday, she tweeted out a news story about a grocery store chain that plans to allow vaccinated employees to go maskless. Those who do would have a logo on their nametags indicating they had been vaccinated.

“Vaccinated employees get a vaccination logo just like the Nazi’s forced Jewish people to wear a gold star,” Greene tweeted.

Pelosi, who previously suggested that Greene could face an ethics inquiry, called her comments "so beyond reprehensible” that they should have “no place in our country.” Democratic Illinois Rep. Brad Schneider proposed censuring Greene.

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., called Greene's comments one of her "frequent outbursts that are absolutely outrageous and reprehensible.” Still, he said any disciplinary action against her would have to come from the House.

Rep. Elise Stefanik, the No. 3 House GOP leader, said “equating mask wearing and vaccines to the Holocaust” minimized "the most significant human atrocities ever committed.”

The furor is just the latest provocative chapter in the activist-turned-lawmaker's brief tenure in the House.

Earlier this month, Greene followed Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez off the House floor, shouting that the Democrat supported “terrorists” and doesn’t “care about the American people.” She also appeared in Facebook Live video filmed outside Ocasio-Cortez’s office, taunting the congresswoman through the mail slot of a locked door to “get rid of your diaper and come out and be able to talk to the American citizens.”

Before her election, Greene supported Facebook posts that advocated violence against Democrats and the FBI. In one 2018 post, she speculated that “lasers or blue beams of light” controlled by a left-wing cabal tied to a powerful Jewish family could have been responsible for sparking California wildfires.

And in February 2019, Greene appeared in an online video filmed at the U.S. Capitol, arguing that two Muslim lawmakers weren’t “really official” members of Congress because they didn’t take the oath of office on the Bible.

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,870
    even Ben Shapiro called it "demented nonsense". 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    And then both sides-ed the the hell out of it.
  • Options
    DewieCox said:
    And then both sides-ed the the hell out of it.
    did he really? haha. didn't see that part of it. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    interesting question......

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Paul Ryan is making some speech tonight to urge Republicans to move away from "populism politics", i.e: Trump. good luck with that. 

dumb fuck is on the BOD at Fox, and NOW he's pleading with republicans to leave the Trump cult? LOL. maybe start at the bottom. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    So he says that they should use the 2nd amendment to overthrow the govt if they don't do what they are supposed to do.

That's fine.  That's what a rebellion is, going against the govt, but what's going on is not rebellion worthy you nut.
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,390
    edited May 2021
  • Options
    Hobbes said:
    It is illegal to want to murder the president.  Is it illegal to rebel?

§2383. Rebellion or insurrection

Whoever incites, sets on foot, assists, or engages in any rebellion or insurrection against the authority of the United States or the laws thereof, or gives aid or comfort thereto, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

(June 25, 1948, ch. 645, 62 Stat. 808Pub. L. 103–322, title XXXIII, §330016(1)(L), Sept. 13, 1994, 108 Stat. 2147.)

Historical and Revision Notes

Based on title 18, U.S.C., 1940 ed., §4 (Mar. 4, 1909, ch. 321, §4, 35 Stat. 1088).

Apparently he is treasonous and could be held accountable.

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    So he says that they should use the 2nd amendment to overthrow the govt if they don't do what they are supposed to do.

That's fine.  That's what a rebellion is, going against the govt, but what's going on is not rebellion worthy you nut.
    That's fine? Like plotting against Whitmer? The alleged scheme included plans to overthrow several state governments that the suspects "believe are violating the US Constitution," according to a federal criminal complaint. Gretchen Whitmer kidnapping plot: Former Marines among those arrested after Michigan governor threatened (msn.com)
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

tech companies are not gov'ts.. it's even more bizarre.  The right wing just tries to out-stupid each other.  The more outrageous or sill the statement, the more affirmation they get. 
  • Options
    Hobbes said:
    mickeyrat said:

That's fine? Like plotting against Whitmer? The alleged scheme included plans to overthrow several state governments that the suspects "believe are violating the US Constitution," according to a federal criminal complaint. Gretchen Whitmer kidnapping plot: Former Marines among those arrested after Michigan governor threatened (msn.com)
    Yes, it's fine, as in that is what 2A is for me also.  I also disagree on what he thinks is rebellious though.  You miss the follow up after my statement?
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:

tech companies are not gov'ts.. it's even more bizarre.  The right wing just tries to out-stupid each other.  The more outrageous or sill the statement, the more affirmation they get. 
    and the lemmings all cheer them on
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Hobbes said:
    mickeyrat said:

Yes, it's fine, as in that is what 2A is for me also.  I also disagree on what he thinks is rebellious though.  You miss the follow up after my statement?
    Nope. I read your follow up. Just trying to determine what you deem acceptable for an armed rebellion. Would the insurrectionists that stormed the Capitol been justified had they armed themselves?
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,679
    Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:
    mickeyrat said:

Nope. I read your follow up. Just trying to determine what you deem acceptable for an armed rebellion. Would the insurrectionists that stormed the Capitol been justified had they armed themselves?
    Had? Some were and some had sidearms on their person, not to mention the truck or van just off the capitol grounds found with multiple firearms, ammo and bombs/Molotov cocktails. Oh, and the other insurrectionists who stockpiled firearms in motel rooms in VA and MD and were waiting for direction to deliver them. But hey, just another tourist visit to the nation’s capital, right?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,774
    Nothing says I'm guilty better than blocking an investigation. 
    Just a thought I had....

Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    Kat said:
    Just a thought I had....

I thought it was antifa and BLM that stormed the Capitol. Wouldn't they want them investigated? This is all very confusing. 
  • Options
    Kat said:
    Just a thought I had....

Oh, they're complicit all right. Had foreknowledge, probably facilitated via office visits and tours, maybe communicated with ringleaders. For once, I'd like the dems to play hardball, go forth alone, a la Benghazi, issue subpoenas for testimony, phone records, etc. and announce that for those who broke the law, referrals to DOJ for criminal investigation and follow up will be forthcoming. Let the dems play the "law & order" card for once. Screw them all, there is no "bi-partisanship," there is no "common ground," there is no "cooperation." If I'm Chuck Schumer, I'm telling my committee leaders to shove it all up their asses and I'd hold the senate in session until the mid-terms, while encouraging President Biden to do as much as possible via EO.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:
    mickeyrat said:

Had? Some were and some had sidearms on their person, not to mention the truck or van just off the capitol grounds found with multiple firearms, ammo and bombs/Molotov cocktails. Oh, and the other insurrectionists who stockpiled firearms in motel rooms in VA and MD and were waiting for direction to deliver them. But hey, just another tourist visit to the nation’s capital, right?
    You say tourist visit. Some say rebellion. GOP says let's call the whole thing off.
  • Options
    jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,406
    Also let’s not forget about the courageous Dem senators Joe Manchin and Krysten Simena. 

Machin was crying after the fact about how 35 GOP senators could vote against the commission after it was made VERY clear that they would. Simena didn’t even bother to show and vote. Must have had something more important to do.
  • Options
    Also let’s not forget about the courageous Dem senators Joe Manchin and Krysten Simena. 

Machin was crying after the fact about how 35 GOP senators could vote against the commission after it was made VERY clear that they would. Simena didn’t even bother to show and vote. Must have had something more important to do.
    The eleven "did not vote" are the biggest cowards in all of this. Patty Murray and Seenomas should be primarried, if they're up in 2022 or whenever they're up. Manchin should just switch sides and be honest about it. Those 35 repubs are all hypocrites and next election they should run ads with split images of their Benghazi demands versus their justification for this vote, particularly for Tom I'm A Warrior Hear Me Roar Cotton. Despicable. Truth, justice and the 'Murican way. Woot!

Brilliantati©
  • Options

The eleven "did not vote" are the biggest cowards in all of this. Patty Murray and Seenomas should be primarried, if they're up in 2022 or whenever they're up. Manchin should just switch sides and be honest about it. Those 35 repubs are all hypocrites and next election they should run ads with split images of their Benghazi demands versus their justification for this vote, particularly for Tom I'm A Warrior Hear Me Roar Cotton. Despicable. Truth, justice and the 'Murican way. Woot!
    Patty Murray has served WA State well and has always received my vote. She has been in favor of this commission. Her missing the vote today due to a "personal family matter" is both vague and concerning. I will reserve judgment until further detail is revealed. Sen. Patty Murray misses vote on Jan. 6 commission, citing ‘personal family matter’ | The Seattle Times