GOP

Comments

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,355
    fuck "parental rights". just a fucking bigotted dog whistle against the protection of marginalized people. why is it assumed a parent has a "right" to know everything about their kid? they don't. it's a feeling of powerlessness, as a parent of two teenage daughters, to acknowledge this, but it's a fact. I don't have any right to know what they wish to be called amongst their peers and in their private lives. no parent of straight kids ever complained about having the right to know who their child is dating or what nicknames they go by. this is no different. but because this scares ignorant people, all of a sudden they claim "rights" they never had. 
    Fuck parental rights?  WTF.  Have we gone just fucking looney tunes here.  

You are painting a broad picture and generalizing a shit ton here.
    hippiemom = goodness
    mickeyrat said:
    This is a pretty tricky situation I think. We’d like all parents to be supportive of their kids…but I’m not really sure why withholding information about child from his/her parents is ok for a school. 
    Because school staff should be able to use professional judgment in situations where parents are going to respond in abusive manner when getting the news. 
    Agreed...if we haven't had a situation yet where a child gets abused or killed because of this it is surely somewhere on the horizon.
    Just wait until a kid gets beat up at school/bullied for it and the school knew what was going on in regards to the student name change/whatever and they didn't let the parents know.

hippiemom = goodness
  • mickeyrat said:
    This is a pretty tricky situation I think. We’d like all parents to be supportive of their kids…but I’m not really sure why withholding information about child from his/her parents is ok for a school. 
    Because school staff should be able to use professional judgment in situations where parents are going to respond in abusive manner when getting the news. 
    Agreed...if we haven't had a situation yet where a child gets abused or killed because of this it is surely somewhere on the horizon.
    Just wait until a kid gets beat up at school/bullied for it and the school knew what was going on in regards to the student name change/whatever and they didn't let the parents know.

That would stop the bullying? Just that the parents knew?
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • OnWis97 said:
    I remember when the school told my parents I was cisgendered and hetero.
    Exactly

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    edited November 2023
    Nevermind
    hippiemom = goodness
    mickeyrat said:

That would stop the bullying? Just that the parents knew?
    You want to talk ifs and buts....
    hippiemom = goodness
    OnWis97 said:
    I remember when the school told my parents I was cisgendered and hetero.
    Exactly
    So - when you changed your name and gender on a form or test etc.... the school didn't reach out?

Oh that's right, there was no change to inform parents of...
    hippiemom = goodness
    This fucking place sucks sometimes.  There is an actual discussion that could be had here but instead we get smartass remarks and "fuck parental rights".  
    hippiemom = goodness
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,553
    fuck "parental rights". just a fucking bigotted dog whistle against the protection of marginalized people. why is it assumed a parent has a "right" to know everything about their kid? they don't. it's a feeling of powerlessness, as a parent of two teenage daughters, to acknowledge this, but it's a fact. I don't have any right to know what they wish to be called amongst their peers and in their private lives. no parent of straight kids ever complained about having the right to know who their child is dating or what nicknames they go by. this is no different. but because this scares ignorant people, all of a sudden they claim "rights" they never had. 

I put in in quotations for a reason. I'm only referring to the specific context of this "I deserve to know if my kid is trans" bullshit. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,532
    edited November 2023
    This fucking place sucks sometimes.  There is an actual discussion that could be had here but instead we get smartass remarks and "fuck parental rights".  
    I'm sure your spine is stronger than smartass remarks. Should I have the school call your parents? Or wait...maybe I should call your parents? What are the rules here?

mickeyrat said:

how would the parents knowing have changed that? especially if the kid isn't comfortable telling them, it's not likely they'd be the supportive "let's get in front of this" kind

www.headstonesband.com

it does. especially when someone cherry picks a phrase and goes apeshit on it instead of looking at the broader context of the entire comment. 

www.headstonesband.com

I put in in quotations for a reason. I'm only referring to the specific context of this "I deserve to know if my kid is trans" bullshit. 
    Ah, then I apologize as I took that to mean more than you did.

I would tend to agree.  I think that most parents that have a healthy relationship with their children would already know before it shows up at school....but there could be times where kids expect the worst.  

As I parent, I still find it hard to believe that something that big...not just sexuality, that shouldn't be reported unless inappropriate behavior at school that would get same treatment regardless of sexuality...but a name change/gender change?  Seems to be significant and something that parents should be brought into.  It's just delaying it anyhow.  Again, we are talking minors.  These aren't adults. 
    hippiemom = goodness

I would tend to agree.  I think that most parents that have a healthy relationship with their children would already know before it shows up at school....but there could be times where kids expect the worst.  

As I parent, I still find it hard to believe that something that big...not just sexuality, that shouldn't be reported unless inappropriate behavior at school that would get same treatment regardless of sexuality...but a name change/gender change?  Seems to be significant and something that parents should be brought into.  It's just delaying it anyhow.  Again, we are talking minors.  These aren't adults. 
    how does it harm the kid to express themselves freely how they wish to express themselves? they aren't getting surgery. they are identifying as someone who they feel they are. 

the GOP is fooling you into believing this is an issue, and they get their wish; more people spreading misinformation and fear against a marginalized community leading to more and more bigotry. 

a friend of my 14 year old goes by a male name now. she was born female. they also wish to be addressed as he. the parents still call the child their given name when in conversation with other parents. I don't know what they do at home. that's their business. but they don't get all crazy about the child going by their chosen name at school. that would be making a mountain out of a molehill, and would just make the child retreat further into their own confusion, and likely close up shop emotionally. that's not healthy. what is healthy is letting the child explore their own self without doing anything permanent. changing your name on a test is not permanent, nor worthy of the fear mongering it's getting. 

www.headstonesband.com

• fuck "parental rights". just a fucking bigotted dog whistle against the protection of marginalized people. why is it assumed a parent has a "right" to know everything about their kid? they don't. it's a feeling of powerlessness, as a parent of two teenage daughters, to acknowledge this, but it's a fact. I don't have any right to know what they wish to be called amongst their peers and in their private lives. no parent of straight kids ever complained about having the right to know who their child is dating or what nicknames they go by. this is no different. but because this scares ignorant people, all of a sudden they claim "rights" they never had. 

Yeah I would think the majority of children would come out to their parents before the entire school. But there are exceptions for sure.

It's new territory for schools.

• OnWis97OnWis97 Posts: 4,979
    I think part of the the problem is that it's a very slippery slope to teachers calling parents with other stuff.  "He's hanging out with a questionable group of friends." "There are rumors that she's promiscuous."

Is the only difference that the student actually said "I want to be called by this name?" Is that the line? What if a student mentions being gay in the vicinity of a teacher? What if someone asks to be called by a new name because of a conversion to Islam?

Calling the parents about this one issue strikes me as being rooted in something akin to fear and/or prejudice. 
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
    it's 100% fear/prejudice. 

www.headstonesband.com

• JB16057JB16057 Posts: 1,269

how does it harm the kid to express themselves freely how they wish to express themselves? they aren't getting surgery. they are identifying as someone who they feel they are. 

the GOP is fooling you into believing this is an issue, and they get their wish; more people spreading misinformation and fear against a marginalized community leading to more and more bigotry. 

a friend of my 14 year old goes by a male name now. she was born female. they also wish to be addressed as he. the parents still call the child their given name when in conversation with other parents. I don't know what they do at home. that's their business. but they don't get all crazy about the child going by their chosen name at school. that would be making a mountain out of a molehill, and would just make the child retreat further into their own confusion, and likely close up shop emotionally. that's not healthy. what is healthy is letting the child explore their own self without doing anything permanent. changing your name on a test is not permanent, nor worthy of the fear mongering it's getting. 
    Kids can't take Tylenol at school but the schools can offer Transgender therapy without telling the parents but go ahead and blame the GOP.
    you call being able to be called by a name of your choosing "transgender therapy"? this right here folks, is the epitome of fear mongering bullshit. 

www.headstonesband.com

• mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,868
    edited November 2023
    I seem to recall being asked as did my fellow students what they wanted to be cdlled. Thomas, Tom, or Tommy. Elizabeth, Liza, Beth etc.....

I see this as no different,  if the name doesnt match outward appearance....
    Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    you call being able to be called by a name of your choosing "transgender therapy"? this right here folks, is the epitome of fear mongering bullshit. 
    So … that’s extreme for sure. But we don’t have to go to extremes to talk about this. It is true that parents get called if their kid is found with aspirin. But it’s cool to just pick a different name and Identity and not let the parents know? 
    hippiemom = goodness
    it's 100% fear/prejudice. 
    Dude it’s not. Not for everyone. This kinda talk is just trash 
    hippiemom = goodness
    OnWis97 said:
    I think part of the the problem is that it's a very slippery slope to teachers calling parents with other stuff.  "He's hanging out with a questionable group of friends." "There are rumors that she's promiscuous."

Is the only difference that the student actually said "I want to be called by this name?" Is that the line? What if a student mentions being gay in the vicinity of a teacher? What if someone asks to be called by a new name because of a conversion to Islam?

Calling the parents about this one issue strikes me as being rooted in something akin to fear and/or prejudice. 
    So I think teachers have had those kinds of conversations with parents. 
    hippiemom = goodness

• Is it standard practice for teachers to call parents if their kids exhibit homosexual tendencies? 
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14

• cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,715

Sorry, but the bolded is much worse than what the GOP could do to their child.  This behavior reeks of shame.  
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 11,077
    edited November 2023

Is it standard practice for teachers to call parents if their kids exhibit homosexual tendencies? 
    I feel like this would be a more appropriate comparison to say, finding a bottle of aspirin on a student... we should all be able to wrap our brains around the idea of teachers trying to protect students from potentially abusive / bigoted / intolerant parents at home. 

Is it standard practice for teachers to call parents if their kids exhibit homosexual tendencies? 
    I feel like this would be a more appropriate comparison to say, finding a bottle of aspirin on a student... we should all be able to wrap our brains around the idea of teachers trying to protect students from potentially abusive / bigoted / intolerant parents at home. 
    I don't know.  Teachers/schools have often notified of a change in behavior etc.  I kinda think it's close to that.  It's definitely a tough spot to be in, cause as I said most kids with supportive parents would have already told them...well I actually don't know if it's true it's my assumption.

I don't think a teacher/school assuming parents are going to be abusive/intolerant, etc is ok though.
    hippiemom = goodness