GOP

Comments

• Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 11,077
    edited November 2023

Is it standard practice for teachers to call parents if their kids exhibit homosexual tendencies? 
    I feel like this would be a more appropriate comparison to say, finding a bottle of aspirin on a student... we should all be able to wrap our brains around the idea of teachers trying to protect students from potentially abusive / bigoted / intolerant parents at home. 
    I don't know.  Teachers/schools have often notified of a change in behavior etc.  I kinda think it's close to that.  It's definitely a tough spot to be in, cause as I said most kids with supportive parents would have already told them...well I actually don't know if it's true it's my assumption.

I don't think a teacher/school assuming parents are going to be abusive/intolerant, etc is ok though.
    It's probably not right to assume all parents are going to be abusive / intolerant, but OTOH, how do they truly know, and should they risk it?

I'll defer to my first question: is it standard practice for teachers to alert parents if the kid came out of the closet at school? 
  • A lot of this just seems like putting more responsibility on teachers. Let them fucking teach and stay away from this bullshit.

Drugs and threats are one thing...a kids sexual orientation is totally different.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,717

Is it standard practice for teachers to call parents if their kids exhibit homosexual tendencies? 
    I feel like this would be a more appropriate comparison to say, finding a bottle of aspirin on a student... we should all be able to wrap our brains around the idea of teachers trying to protect students from potentially abusive / bigoted / intolerant parents at home. 
    I don't know.  Teachers/schools have often notified of a change in behavior etc.  I kinda think it's close to that.  It's definitely a tough spot to be in, cause as I said most kids with supportive parents would have already told them...well I actually don't know if it's true it's my assumption.

I don't think a teacher/school assuming parents are going to be abusive/intolerant, etc is ok though.
    It's probably not right to assume all parents are going to be abusive / intolerant, but OTOH, how do they truly know, and should they risk it?

I'll defer to my first question: is it standard practice for teachers to alert parents if the kid came out of the closet at school? 
    Absolutely not. My wife teaches in a high school and it would be completely inappropriate for her to do so.  
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,962
    JB16057 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    This is a pretty tricky situation I think. We’d like all parents to be supportive of their kids…but I’m not really sure why withholding information about child from his/her parents is ok for a school. 
    Because school staff should be able to use professional judgment in situations where parents are going to respond in abusive manner when getting the news. 
    Define professional judgement... Not all school staff have the ability to be able to do this. Does the school staff only listen to what the kid says? That's not fair or professional. Schools should not have the right to keep information from parents.
    If a kid is apprehensive about coming out to their parents, it can be reality based anxiety, for example the parents have made several negative comments about gays, or it can be more based in uncertainty, and the kid just doesn’t know how they’ll respond so they don’t risk it. I see nothing advantageous about the school forcing kids to be out to their parents. They aren’t harming anyone or doing anything by being gay. It’s their sexuality and it’s their own power with regard to how they want to come out. The government shouldn’t be taking that power away. 

Also, the school can’t be in a constant loop with parents reporting on everything. Do they need to tell the parents about the kids heterosexuality and who they’re dating or holding hands with in the hallway?
    JB16057 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    This is a pretty tricky situation I think. We’d like all parents to be supportive of their kids…but I’m not really sure why withholding information about child from his/her parents is ok for a school. 
    Because school staff should be able to use professional judgment in situations where parents are going to respond in abusive manner when getting the news. 
    Agreed...if we haven't had a situation yet where a child gets abused or killed because of this it is surely somewhere on the horizon.
    Your opinion is decided on "what if".

Are you really worried that a majority of parents will abuse or kill their child if they learn the truth about their child? Some parents abuse their kids for no reason. Do you also think we should take away all parental rights because some parents abuse their children? 
    I’m worried about the kids that are abused and/or kicked out of their home because their parents found out they were gay. 
  • Coming from Virginia, the state where the mighty Glenn Youngkin defeated CRT, I find the whole topic about education and parental rights to be a tad ridiculous.  I mean, if a parent wants to have a say in their kid's education outside of the privacy of their home, they can get an education degree and follow that up with a job in teaching or administration.  Simple.  
    Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023; MSG 1 2024
  • Coming from Virginia, the state where the mighty Glenn Youngkin defeated CRT, I find the whole topic about education and parental rights to be a tad ridiculous.  I mean, if a parent wants to have a say in their kid's education outside of the privacy of their home, they can get an education degree and follow that up with a job in teaching or administration.  Simple.  
    Agreed...the GOP is weaponizing this. And probably because they want to continue to weaken public schools so that they get a better break when they put their little darlings into private school.

If you want to send your kid to private school that's fine....but don't take money away from public schools. Fuck that. 

JB16057 said:
    fuck "parental rights". just a fucking bigotted dog whistle against the protection of marginalized people. why is it assumed a parent has a "right" to know everything about their kid? they don't. it's a feeling of powerlessness, as a parent of two teenage daughters, to acknowledge this, but it's a fact. I don't have any right to know what they wish to be called amongst their peers and in their private lives. no parent of straight kids ever complained about having the right to know who their child is dating or what nicknames they go by. this is no different. but because this scares ignorant people, all of a sudden they claim "rights" they never had. 
    Fuck parental rights?  WTF.  Have we gone just fucking looney tunes here.  

You are painting a broad picture and generalizing a shit ton here.
    I put in in quotations for a reason. I'm only referring to the specific context of this "I deserve to know if my kid is trans" bullshit. 
    Ah, then I apologize as I took that to mean more than you did.

I would tend to agree.  I think that most parents that have a healthy relationship with their children would already know before it shows up at school....but there could be times where kids expect the worst.  

As I parent, I still find it hard to believe that something that big...not just sexuality, that shouldn't be reported unless inappropriate behavior at school that would get same treatment regardless of sexuality...but a name change/gender change?  Seems to be significant and something that parents should be brought into.  It's just delaying it anyhow.  Again, we are talking minors.  These aren't adults. 
    how does it harm the kid to express themselves freely how they wish to express themselves? they aren't getting surgery. they are identifying as someone who they feel they are. 

the GOP is fooling you into believing this is an issue, and they get their wish; more people spreading misinformation and fear against a marginalized community leading to more and more bigotry. 

a friend of my 14 year old goes by a male name now. she was born female. they also wish to be addressed as he. the parents still call the child their given name when in conversation with other parents. I don't know what they do at home. that's their business. but they don't get all crazy about the child going by their chosen name at school. that would be making a mountain out of a molehill, and would just make the child retreat further into their own confusion, and likely close up shop emotionally. that's not healthy. what is healthy is letting the child explore their own self without doing anything permanent. changing your name on a test is not permanent, nor worthy of the fear mongering it's getting. 
    Kids can't take Tylenol at school but the schools can offer Transgender therapy without telling the parents but go ahead and blame the GOP.
    Some school districts require parental consent for a student to talk with a counselor, and others don’t. 

I blame the gop for nosing into an issue they don’t have business being in, continuing their attacks on public schools, and trying to make “parental rights” part of their culture war bullshit. 

• If you believe public school teachers are forcing kids to be gay, I have an MSG Kong poster to sell you. 
    Coming from Virginia, the state where the mighty Glenn Youngkin defeated CRT, I find the whole topic about education and parental rights to be a tad ridiculous.  I mean, if a parent wants to have a say in their kid's education outside of the privacy of their home, they can get an education degree and follow that up with a job in teaching or administration.  Simple.  
    Not to mention that there’s always been avenues for parents to be engaged in their kids education - what they’re learning and how they’re doing. 
  • JB16057 said:
    fuck "parental rights". just a fucking bigotted dog whistle against the protection of marginalized people. why is it assumed a parent has a "right" to know everything about their kid? they don't. it's a feeling of powerlessness, as a parent of two teenage daughters, to acknowledge this, but it's a fact. I don't have any right to know what they wish to be called amongst their peers and in their private lives. no parent of straight kids ever complained about having the right to know who their child is dating or what nicknames they go by. this is no different. but because this scares ignorant people, all of a sudden they claim "rights" they never had. 
    Fuck parental rights?  WTF.  Have we gone just fucking looney tunes here.  

You are painting a broad picture and generalizing a shit ton here.
    I put in in quotations for a reason. I'm only referring to the specific context of this "I deserve to know if my kid is trans" bullshit. 
    Ah, then I apologize as I took that to mean more than you did.

I would tend to agree.  I think that most parents that have a healthy relationship with their children would already know before it shows up at school....but there could be times where kids expect the worst.  

As I parent, I still find it hard to believe that something that big...not just sexuality, that shouldn't be reported unless inappropriate behavior at school that would get same treatment regardless of sexuality...but a name change/gender change?  Seems to be significant and something that parents should be brought into.  It's just delaying it anyhow.  Again, we are talking minors.  These aren't adults. 
    how does it harm the kid to express themselves freely how they wish to express themselves? they aren't getting surgery. they are identifying as someone who they feel they are. 

the GOP is fooling you into believing this is an issue, and they get their wish; more people spreading misinformation and fear against a marginalized community leading to more and more bigotry. 

a friend of my 14 year old goes by a male name now. she was born female. they also wish to be addressed as he. the parents still call the child their given name when in conversation with other parents. I don't know what they do at home. that's their business. but they don't get all crazy about the child going by their chosen name at school. that would be making a mountain out of a molehill, and would just make the child retreat further into their own confusion, and likely close up shop emotionally. that's not healthy. what is healthy is letting the child explore their own self without doing anything permanent. changing your name on a test is not permanent, nor worthy of the fear mongering it's getting. 
    Kids can't take Tylenol at school but the schools can offer Transgender therapy without telling the parents but go ahead and blame the GOP.
    Some school districts require parental consent for a student to talk with a counselor, and others don’t. 

I blame the gop for nosing into an issue they don’t have business being in, continuing their attacks on public schools, and trying to make “parental rights” part of their culture war bullshit.

Next thing you'll tell me the party whose leader is a thrice married serial adulterer doesn't genuinely care about "family values". 
  • JB16057JB16057 Posts: 1,269

If you believe public school teachers are forcing kids to be gay, I have an MSG Kong poster to sell you. 
    There's proof of one teacher right there. Don't forget that it's all the GOPs fault! 
  • JB16057 said:

If you believe public school teachers are forcing kids to be gay, I have an MSG Kong poster to sell you. 
    There's proof of one teacher right there. Don't forget that it's all the GOPs fault! 
    Seemed like a sarcastic post to me. But you believe she is really teaching kids to be gay? I mean....you really believe that?

• JB16057 said:

If it was on twitter, than it must be true!!!  :D 

No one's forcing kids to be gay. Don't be so gullible. 

RE: the GOP - people have eyes and ears, and people hear the drum they've been beating. 
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,690
    mickeyrat said:

No kidding!  Where did these little brats ever get the idea they deserve to eat in the first place?  Let them dumpster dive if they can't find a job.

Seriously though- goddamn hypocritical MAGAs.  
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Haven’t any of you had someone ring your doorbell and when you answer the door it’s a drag queen trying to convert you to become gay? Happens all the time in my hood.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,715
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:

No kidding!  Where did these little brats ever get the idea they deserve to eat in the first place?  Let them dumpster dive if they can't find a job.

Now this, to me, is worth getting really pissed off about.  They don’t eat they can’t learn….or is that the plan?  Friday lunch to Monday breakfast is a fucking long time…..breaks my heart. 
  • Haven’t any of you had someone ring your doorbell and when you answer the door it’s a drag queen trying to convert you to become gay? Happens all the time in my hood.
    My first grade teacher used to play checkers with us during rain day recesses. No idea why she didn't teach us chess. 

• OnWis97OnWis97 Posts: 4,979
    edited November 2023
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:
    on brand.  get a job you fucking freeloaders. ..

Now this, to me, is worth getting really pissed off about.  They don’t eat they can’t learn….or is that the plan?  Friday lunch to Monday breakfast is a fucking long time…..breaks my heart. 
    I know people like to talk about rewarding hard work, but never underestimate how many people think children should be rewarded for their parents' hard work and punished for (what they perceive as) their parents' lack thereof. 
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • mickeyrat said:
    That is from 2021
    School District Says Students Can 'Become Spoiled' With Free Lunch (businessinsider.com)

'Why are we not paying for lunch?': Evers, school leaders support plan for free school meals | Wisconsin Public Radio (wpr.org)
    Universal school meals haven't been accepted by all communities. Waukesha's school board voted to opt out of the COVID-era free meal program for the 2021-2022 school year, before later rescinding the decision. During the original vote, some district officials feared families would become too reliant on free meals.

Of course it was a reprehensible statement/policy when it was said/proposed but it was over 2 years ago and rescinded. 
  • OnWis97 said:
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:
    on brand.  get a job you fucking freeloaders. ..

I know people like to talk about rewarding hard work, but never underestimate how many people think children should be rewarded for their parents' hard work and punished for (what they perceive as) their parents' lack thereof
    There's no greater crime in America than being poor. 
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,532
    edited November 2023
    And the kids get labeled for being poor too. But I bet the GOP doesn't give a shit about that...the school better tell the parents if Johnny wants to hold Timmy's hand during recess but if he doesn't get a decent lunch so what?

I remember forgetting to fund our kids lunch accounts sometimes and they would end up getting the disgusting peanut butter sandwich for lunch like a scarlet letter. Imagine getting that sandwich every fucking day.

Of course I remember being in fourth grade and the principal came into our class and sprayed one of my classmates with Lysol because he stunk. The poor kid probably had no responsible parent at home to make sure he took a bath yet the school punished him for it.

That principal is long gone but I would sure like to punch him in the mouth right now. The teacher too for allowing that.

• I wonder what a venn diagram of the pro life crowd and people who are against free school lunches looks like and why is it just one complete circle?
  • OnWis97OnWis97 Posts: 4,979
    I wonder what a venn diagram of the pro life crowd and people who are against free school lunches looks like and why is it just one complete circle?
    That's why I call it pro birth.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • I wonder what a venn diagram of the pro life crowd and people who are against free school lunches looks like and why is it just one complete circle?
    Pro life until you’re born.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    JB16057 said:

Seemed like a sarcastic post to me. But you believe she is really teaching kids to be gay? I mean....you really believe that?
    Why would someone ever post that if they didn't mean it? Yes. I do believe it. There's proof that it was said right here along with a local news story showing it was legit. 
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:

If it was on twitter, than it must be true!!!  D